Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

As somebody that took a nearly decade long hiatus from this board, the culture has changed where people would enthusiastically speculate without a hint of any sources to folks not feeling comfortable leaving a response without academic fueled certainty that their presumptions are more than reasonable.

I gotta say, it makes AH more credible now and more informative about how and why the events of OTL unfolded in the way that they did, however, I miss the days from years ago where many people didn't fully know what they were talking about and just wanted a casual discussion about very niche what ifs.
Yeah, been more active myself over the last few years and have noticed that change as well. I guess it was bound to happen as the original members become more informed, and educate newer members.

The defining months would be what Majorian does after Valentinian kills Aetius. Thinking about it again, Aetius' vengeful soldiers would compel Majorian to overthrow Valentinian and, ugh, does Licinia invite Gaiseric to attack Majorian following his usurpation? Well, maybe she won't if Petronius assassinates Valentinian before Majorian takes Ravenna or Rome or wherever they are and opens the city's gates to him, thinking to win Majorian's approval and save his own skin. Then Majorian executes Petronius for his treacheries against Aetius and Valentinian which placates Licinia. Following that, the prior mentioned events ensue.
Majorian succeeds Valentinian and executes Petronius Maximus ->

Licinia Eudoxia does not invite Gaiseric to avenge Valentinian; Petronius Maximus does not provoke Gaiseric by cancelling Huneric's betrothal to Eudocia ->

Gaiseric does not sack Rome ->

WRE and Vandals pursue friendly relations due to their rulers having family ties?

Since Majorian is Valentinian's legal successor in this scenario, the Eastern Empire recognises him as Western Augustus the moment he ascends. There is still the issue of Ricimer though.
How realistic is this prediction I made when I asked what would happen if Aetius somehow decided to adopt Majorian and prepare Majorian to be his successor?

Was it possible at any point for the Ottomans to conquer the Safavids? What would its effects be?

Last edited:
I had this idea based off the Black Templars from Warhammer 40,000. It is an "Eternal Crusade" world where the Crusades never ended since many of the European nations swore an oath of eternal crusade. Not sure how feasible it is, though. (The Black Templars from Warhammer 40,000 swore an oath of eternal crusade. I was thinking could the same be feasible for the original crusaders?)
Could this be a thing? I know it's more of a tongue-in-cheek timeline than a serious alternate.

If Maria Anna of Austria died instead of Balthasar Charles, who would the heir to Spain marry? In your opinions.
Likeliest candidates in my opinion, considering Balthasar‘s age are either Anne Marie Louise of Orléans-Montpensier or Marie Leopoldine of Austria-Tyrol if she is not already Empress. Also Luisa Christina of Savoy could work, if she had not yet married her uncle

Last edited:
I mean, minimum, the realm he builds survives and he is succeeded by a son.
Gender-flip his daughter into a boy, for that latter one, or have his wife give birth to fraternal twins. Italian unification is near-impossible, but I suppose he should invest more in the alliance with Louis XII, asking his help in overthrowing Julius II.

Gender-flip his daughter into a boy, for that latter one, or have his wife give birth to fraternal twins. Italian unification is near-impossible, but I suppose he should invest more in the alliance with Louis XII, asking his help in overthrowing Julius II.
Not helping Julius to be elected would be likely enough…
And keeping alive longer either Alexander VI or Pius III a much better way for getting the same result

What if Ariq Boke defeated Kublai Khan? To my understanding, their conflict was not merely a war of succession but also a clash of ideologies; CainKublai wanted Mongols to embrace sedentary civilisation while AbelAriq Boke wanted them to keep to their nomadic roots.

Last edited:
I had this idea based off the Black Templars from Warhammer 40,000. It is an "Eternal Crusade" world where the Crusades never ended since many of the European nations swore an oath of eternal crusade. Not sure how feasible it is, though. (The Black Templars from Warhammer 40,000 swore an oath of eternal crusade. I was thinking could the same be feasible for the original crusaders?)
Could this be a thing? I know it's more of a tongue-in-cheek timeline than a serious alternate.
Not familiar with the source material, but I don't see this as too unfeasible. I guess the question would be: an eternal crusade against what?

How can I have Iberia be majority Muslim and Anatolia majority Christian?
Well, the "traditional" scenario for alternate history writers is for al-Andalus to survive (most likely via a stronger Umayyad Caliphate) while the Byzantine *cough* Eastern Roman Empire manages to keep the Turks at bay. However, you could also achieve this without saving the Byzantines by stopping the Seljuk Turks from converting to Islam, so they could either be Nestorian Christians or remain Tengrist until they assimilate into the local culture and convert to Eastern Orthodoxy.

How can Jesus' descendants the Merovingians unite all the Catholic realms?

The Austrian Habsburgs win the War of Spanish Succession. Maria Josepha of Austria remains the Habsburg heir and marries Frederick Augustus of Saxony, who eventually becomes Emperor Frederick IV as a result. Their son, Fredrick Christian, consequently inherits Austria, Saxony, Bohemia, Spain, Hungary and Poland.

Holy Roman Emperors
1745 - 1763: Frederick IV, m. Maria Josepha of Austria
1763 - 1763: Frederick V, m. Maria Antonia of Bavaria

(Following the War of Bavarian Succession, Emperor Frederick VI, whose mother was the eldest sister of the previous Elector of Bavaria, adds the electorate to the Wettin domains, becoming the sole Imperial Vicar of the Holy Roman Empire.)

1763 - 1806: Frederick VI, m. Amalie of Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld

Idk what happens following the HRE's dissolution (if it is dissolved). Napoleon and Frederick Augustus III (who is Frederick VI here) will be on less friendly terms due to the lack of a need for Frederick to restore Poland as a French client state. Does the Wettin monarchy find itself eaten on two fronts by France and Russia?

On the other hand, if the Wettins lost Poland to a partition (or partitions) by Russia and Prussia, an alliance between Napoleon and Frederick to help Frederick regain Poland that develops into long-term one might be possible. Does Napoleon stay in power then?
The HRE is not dissolved. Napoleon becomes Holy Roman Emperor. He weds Frederick VI's daughter (who was unwed IOTL).

1806 - ????: Napoleon I, m. Maria Augusta of Saxony

Elector of Saxony (also Archduke of Austria, Elector of Bavaria, King of Bohemia, King of Spain, King of Poland, King of Hungary & King of Croatia)
1763 - 1827: Frederick Augustus III (formerly Emperor Frederick VI)
1827 - 1836: Anthony I
1836 - 1854: Frederick Augustus IV
1854 - 1873: John II
1873 - 1902: Albert V
1902 - 1904: George I
1904 - 1932: Frederick Augustus V
1932 - 1968: Frederick Christian II
1968 - 2012: Maria Emanuel I
And how would a Frederick Augustus, Duke of Warsaw(known as Frederick VI in this alternate timeline) who instead lawfully rules the HRE(Maria Josepha of Austria remained the Habsburg heir and still married Augustus III of Poland), Austria, Bohemia, Saxony, Hungary, Bavaria(Frederick VI had a strong claim to Bavaria through his mother and won the War of Bavarian Succession), Poland-Lithuania(was not completely partitioned due to being part of the Wettin mega-empire) and the Spanish Empire(the Austrian Habsburgs won the War of Spanish Succession) fare against Napoleon?

Last edited:
How can Jesus' descendants the Merovingians unite all the Catholic realms?

And how would a Frederick Augustus, Duke of Warsaw(known as Frederick VI in this alternate timeline) who instead lawfully rules the HRE(Maria Josepha of Austria remained the Habsburg heir and still married Augustus III of Poland), Austria, Bohemia, Saxony, Hungary, Bavaria(Frederick VI had a strong claim to Bavaria through his mother and won the War of Bavarian Succession), Poland-Lithuania(was not completely partitioned due to being part of the Wettin mega-empire) and the Spanish Empire(the Austrian Habsburgs won the War of Spanish Succession) fare against Napoleon?
Pure ASB. First some matches would be drastically altered, second NOBODY would EVER accept a quarter of that union….
You can NOT put a POD who totally change EVERYTHING and ignoring the MOST DIRECT consequences (as Charles VI’s politics and the matches of his nieces and daughters would be DRASTICALLY altered by the choice of Charles to keep Josepha as his heiress presumptive). Plus if Charles won the War of Spanish succession before Joseph’s death, he would need to leave either Spain or Austria to Josepha

Last edited: