The World of Amerika 1997

MaxGerke01

Banned
Something else truly underated other than the Amerika tv series itself is the soundtrack music which is quite resonant and stirring.

MaxGerke01

Banned
What do you think is the last bastion of anti-Soviet resistance in this TL? I guess it's the People's Republic of China and Western Europe.
China was likely hit by the Soviets by nukes at some point, Not sure if this was stated but implied and I think was included in bmunros excellent cover of Amerika, Without America Western Europe has a sword of Damocles more than ever over its head.Id like to think that after seeing what happened to the US the UK and France have refitted their nukes as well as their electronic equipment to prevent what happened to the US happening to them.2 nations that still have teeth and perhaps have told the Soviets dont go into Western Europe or we will use them. However Europe will still have to interact with the Soviets politically and economically and probably has many more Communist and leftist parties.West Germany is probably still free but not sure about West Berlin.That may have been something the UK and France first put their feet down about and said to the Soviets about going into West Berlin nont uh. Western Europes NATO obligations would require them to fight for the US and some would want to but it was taken by the Soviets so quickly it was decided that it would be a lost cause.However a line was drawn again on the borders of the Warsaw Pact.It would be pretty dreary and hopeless in Western Europe but not nearly as bad as the US.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
I wonder exactly how things at the UN panned out ? The Soviets are described as using it to implement and justify the new world system with them at the top.I imagine Britain and France would veto what they wanted to do in any other circustance making the security counil vote 3-2 with their new American puppet and China go along with the Soviets.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I wonder exactly how things at the UN panned out ? The Soviets are described as using it to implement and justify the new world system with them at the top.I imagine Britain and France would veto what they wanted to do in any other circumstance making the security council vote 3-2 with their new American puppet and China go along with the Soviets. They must have been pressured somehow to go along? Perhaps the price of keeping West Berlin free ?

I wonder exactly how things at the UN panned out ? The Soviets are described as using it to implement and justify the new world system with them at the top.I imagine Britain and France would veto what they wanted to do in any other circumstance making the security council vote 3-2 with their new American puppet and China go along with the Soviets. They must have been pressured somehow to go along? Perhaps the price of keeping West Berlin free ?

I always thought that the deal with Western Europe is: we left you alone if you don't make wave. The Soviets will try to use a mix of hard power (the military menace) and soft power (trade and resources) to keep the EEC pliant even because both side know that while the URSS can conquer Western Europe the cost in term of blood and treasure will be too much (especially with the Soviets already overstreched) and frankly they need an healthy economy to make the world keep going.
Basically both the UK and France will abstain if the Soviet will not do something that hurt them directly.

Honestly i always thought that the line that there is no place to go now, is an exageration due also to the controlled news and desperation, take an example Israel, sure the URSS can back up the Arab in winning a war or force the Israelian to give up the occupied territory...but Israel has enough nuclear weapon to reduce the MENA to Mad Max territory and frankly everybody knows that if the push came through she will use it.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I always thought that the deal with Western Europe is: we left you alone if you don't make wave. The Soviets will try to use a mix of hard power (the military menace) and soft power (trade and resources) to keep the EEC pliant even because both side know that while the URSS can conquer Western Europe the cost in term of blood and treasure will be too much (especially with the Soviets already overstreched) and frankly they need an healthy economy to make the world keep going.
Basically both the UK and France will abstain if the Soviet will not do something that hurt them directly.

Honestly i always thought that the line that there is no place to go now, is an exageration due also to the controlled news and desperation, take an example Israel, sure the URSS can back up the Arab in winning a war or force the Israelian to give up the occupied territory...but Israel has enough nuclear weapon to reduce the MENA to Mad Max territory and frankly everybody knows that if the push came through she will use it.
What is MENA?

I think Western Europe has been Finlandized due to the French and British nuclear arsenals. In return for reduced troop levels the West (non-US) receive access to Russian oil and raw materials (at set prices). The Europeans receive commercial access to Eastern European and Russian markets.

I think Western Europe has been Finlandized due to the French and British nuclear arsenals. In return for reduced troop levels the West (non-US) receive access to Russian oil and raw materials (at set prices). The Europeans receive commercial access to Eastern European and Russian markets.
Probably even if i doubt that there will be a reduced troop level due to the europeans fearing a lot the soviets especially after the unprovocked attack that started the scenario but more an agreement where Europe abstain to the UN security council votes and stop things like Radio America and Free Europe while not really challenge Soviet interest and act more or less like OTL EU with Putin before Ukraine in term of tollerance of BS and general answer at them

Speaking of Finland wonder what they did the day after America was crippled and brought down by the Soviets?
I don't think Finland would have been changed too much. Obviously the public would be pretty damn scared of the Soviet Union, and something like For Independence might have been established again, but there simply wouldn't be much that anyone could do. The Soviets in turn likely would not want to upset the status quo either.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I don't think Finland would have been changed too much. Obviously the public would be pretty damn scared of the Soviet Union, and something like For Independence might have been established again, but there simply wouldn't be much that anyone could do. The Soviets in turn likely would not want to upset the status quo either.
Well if they ever did Finland into Sweden is probably where they would start perhaps the would join NATO as per OTL-assuming it still exists- to come under the UK and France nuclear shield although the Soviet Union would likely kick up a much bigger stink ittl over that perhaps even invading before the application was approved ? Maybe there was a Finland NATO Membership Crisis iitl ?

Well if they ever did Finland into Sweden is probably where they would start perhaps the would join NATO as per OTL-assuming it still exists- to come under the UK and France nuclear shield although the Soviet Union would likely kick up a much bigger stink ittl over that perhaps even invading before the application was approved ? Maybe there was a Finland NATO Membership Crisis iitl ?
I doubt that Finland will even think to join NATO due to precisely this reason and NATO itself, or to be more precise, his infrastructure and chain of command, will be absorbed by the EEC soon to become the ITTL European Union,
Sweden on the other hand probably will become a member with some provision regarding her neutrality like OTL

I believe there was a write up by B.Munro in the past https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/asb-settings.158644/page-52#post-5737677. Western Europe I believe was left alone and under the control of a variety of leftist parties under a 'Finland' like system. Apartheid South Africa was crushed by a coalition of liberation armies with Russian Arms in 1994. Cuba dominates the Caribbean. Canada and Australia have been left alone as long as they do not do anything stupid.
Korea has also been forcibly reunified under the Kims, with predictable results for the people in the South.

I wonder exactly how things at the UN panned out ? The Soviets are described as using it to implement and justify the new world system with them at the top.I imagine Britain and France would veto what they wanted to do in any other circustance making the security counil vote 3-2 with their new American puppet and China go along with the Soviets.
I imagine to preserve the sham of the UN being a "neutral" organization, the HQ of the UN was moved to Helsinki or some other pro-Soviet neutral country, assuming the Soviets haven't turned it into a Comintern with extra steps. And on that note, the two Koreas were not UN members until 1991 IOTL, so the RoK probably ended as it was born, in a UN-sanctioned "police action" to eliminate the "Chun Doo-Hwan Fascist Regime" and install the UN-sponsored government in Pyongyang much like how South Korean independence was only secured via a UN-sanctioned intervention

I imagine to preserve the sham of the UN being a "neutral" organization, the HQ of the UN was moved to Helsinki or some other pro-Soviet neutral country, assuming the Soviets haven't turned it into a Comintern with extra steps. And on that note, the two Koreas were not UN members until 1991 IOTL, so the RoK probably ended as it was born, in a UN-sanctioned "police action" to eliminate the "Chun Doo-Hwan Fascist Regime" and install the UN-sponsored government in Pyongyang much like how South Korean independence was only secured via a UN-sanctioned intervention
The problem is that between taking control of the USA, South Africa, Korea and many other local problems (Israel and Iran in the ME), there is the conflict with China, etc. etc. the Soviet Union look extremely overstreched and with her economy being not good from the beginning, things are not looking good even for the middle term.

The problem is that between taking control of the USA, South Africa, Korea and many other local problems (Israel and Iran in the ME), there is the conflict with China, etc. etc. the Soviet Union look extremely overstreched and with her economy being not good from the beginning, things are not looking good even for the middle term.
The producers of Amerika portrayed the Soviet Union as an unstoppable juggernaut akin to Red Alert. They completely ignored logistics of such. China would be the last bastion of anti-Soviet influence due to the a million-man PLA and a robust nuclear arsenal.

The producers of Amerika portrayed the Soviet Union as an unstoppable juggernaut akin to Red Alert. They completely ignored logistics of such. China would be the last bastion of anti-Soviet influence due to the a million-man PLA and a robust nuclear arsenal.
Yeah, honestly it's very probable that any 'police action' in South Korea will trigger a crisis with China and start the conflict in Manchuria that's named in the original miniseries

Yeah, honestly it's very probable that any 'police action' in South Korea will trigger a crisis with China and start the conflict in Manchuria that's named in the original miniseries
Deng Xiaoping continued China's belligerent stance towards the USSR. Any incursion near China would not be tolerated by Beijing. It would also be noted the PLA actually served as an effective counterweight to the Red Army in the region. That's why the West was so keen to court the PRC to keep the strain on the Soviet Armed Forces.

Deng Xiaoping continued China's belligerent stance towards the USSR. Any incursion near China would not be tolerated by Beijing. It would also be noted the PLA actually served as an effective counterweight to the Red Army in the region. That's why the West was so keen to court the PRC to keep the strain on the Soviet Armed Forces.
Yep, probably one of the reason for the divide the america plan, is that the cost of occupation is too much with all the other ongoing operation and sure Europe appear 'Finlandizated' but honestly the most probable thing is a well armed neutrality under the Anglo-French nuclear umbrella (plus any nuclear weapon of the sharing program the europeans had get their hands on) so some level of military force will be necessary in east europe, even for keep some pression of western europe to keep them neutral.