Sports What Ifs.

One I've been wondering about. How does the European Cup look in the late 80s without the Heysel ban on English clubs? Let's say cool heads prevail and Liverpool are banned for one year (I'm not old enough to have been around, but I feel the ban was an obscene overreaction - it's not live Liverpool told their fans to attack the Juve fans).

This would mean Everton would be representing England at the top tournament. It would also see teams such as Coventry and Wimbledon get their chance in the Cup Winners' Cup.

Would we have seen more English success? Does it butterfly away or delay the development of the Premier League? Are we spared the awful barriers that made Hillsborough happen?

Maybe been asked before but what if Nick Saban never left the Miami Dolphins?

How long would he have stayed with the team and how would have they done with at least a few more seasons as their coach?

Also would you replace Mike Shula at Alabama then? I feel like they would have gone for Jimbo Fisher or even Brian Kelly.
If Saban stays, that means that Drew Brees signs with Miami, not the Saints.

Honestly, I see Saban staying for a few years, but he probably would have jumped at the chance to coach USC in 2010 after Pete Carroll went to Seattle.

The Dolphins would have been a bigger rival for the Pats in the 2000's, but for that to continue, it would depend on who would have replaced Saban (if he did leave in 10 for USC).

Maybe been asked before but what if Nick Saban never left the Miami Dolphins?

How long would he have stayed with the team and how would have they done with at least a few more seasons as their coach?

Also would you replace Mike Shula at Alabama then? I feel like they would have gone for Jimbo Fisher or even Brian Kelly.
I feel like Saban just wouldn’t get it in the pros. He wouldn’t be bad, just kind of average and might not make the playoffs much. If things go badly he might even be back in college by 2008.

As for Bama, I think Jimbo might be a good choice. I think they go with an established coach though he does have the Saban connection through LSU. Brian Kelly might also be good and he had experience as an HC at Central Michigan and Division 2 Grand Valley State.

If we are just looking at big names though, Bobby Petrino was still at Louisville, and I think he’d be looked at. One dark horse I see strangely is Gary Pinkel as both Pinkel and Saban played under Don James at Kent St. Could also see Gene Chizik make a jump as he was the Texas DC at the time, but that might keep Bama down.

I feel like Saban just wouldn’t get it in the pros. He wouldn’t be bad, just kind of average and might not make the playoffs much. If things go badly he might even be back in college by 2008.

As for Bama, I think Jimbo might be a good choice. I think they go with an established coach though he does have the Saban connection through LSU. Brian Kelly might also be good and he had experience as an HC at Central Michigan and Division 2 Grand Valley State.

If we are just looking at big names though, Bobby Petrino was still at Louisville, and I think he’d be looked at. One dark horse I see strangely is Gary Pinkel as both Pinkel and Saban played under Don James at Kent St. Could also see Gene Chizik make a jump as he was the Texas DC at the time, but that might keep Bama down.
The Pinkel era hasn’t quiiiiite taken off at Missouri yet, though I like that out of the box suggestion. But yeah Jimbo would have been a solid option, and probably who I would expect. A lot of big names emerged hot out of 2006 that could have leveraged a big year into something at Bama

The Pinkel era hasn’t quiiiiite taken off at Missouri yet, though I like that out of the box suggestion. But yeah Jimbo would have been a solid option, and probably who I would expect. A lot of big names emerged hot out of 2006 that could have leveraged a big year into something at Bama
Personally, I feel like Petrino or Fisher would be my picks. Also, as I said, I think Saban might only get a year or two more in Miami. If he leaves after 2007, there are big jobs open at Michigan, West Virginia, and Texas A&M and I could see Saban at any of these three though I feel that A&M seems the most likely. If he waits until the 2008 off season then Auburn is open and that might be a fun what if. Oregon is open too but I don’t see Saban on the west coast.

Personally, I feel like Petrino or Fisher would be my picks. Also, as I said, I think Saban might only get a year or two more in Miami. If he leaves after 2007, there are big jobs open at Michigan, West Virginia, and Texas A&M and I could see Saban at any of these three though I feel that A&M seems the most likely. If he waits until the 2008 off season then Auburn is open and that might be a fun what if. Oregon is open too but I don’t see Saban on the west coast.
Petrino at Bama makes a lot of sense. He’d been looking to leverage Louisville into a prestige job for years (see: the tarmac interview with Auburn in the ‘04 pre-season) and he’d help accelerate an offensive Revolution in that conference just as Urbs had won the natty and Arkansas looked like it was set to dominate for years with Mustain under center (talk about a sports what-if right there!) I wonder if he’d still have an NFL itch eventually even at Bama, though.

Saban would be a horrible fit here in the Pac so going to A&M makes a lot of sense. I think he’d thrive there once Colt McCoy graduated and he had a few Texas in-state recruiting classes under his belt…

If Saban stays, that means that Drew Brees signs with Miami, not the Saints.

Honestly, I see Saban staying for a few years, but he probably would have jumped at the chance to coach USC in 2010 after Pete Carroll went to Seattle.

The Dolphins would have been a bigger rival for the Pats in the 2000's, but for that to continue, it would depend on who would have replaced Saban (if he did leave in 10 for USC).
Brees actually signed with the Saints a year before just letting you know

I think he is good enough to prevent the Dolphins from having a near 0-16 season in 2007 like OTL.

Perhaps in 2007 they draft Brady Quinn and prevent him from being another failed Browns quarterback experiment? Or they end up taking someone that ends up being a proper replacement for the then 34 year old Zach Thomas in Patrick Willis?

Brees actually signed with the Saints a year before just letting you know
I think he is good enough to prevent the Dolphins from having a near 0-16 season in 2007 like OTL.

Perhaps in 2007 they draft Brady Quinn and prevent him from being another failed Browns quarterback experiment? Or they end up taking someone that ends up being a proper replacement for the then 34 year old Zach Thomas in Patrick Willis?
Brees signing with Saban and the Dolphins in 2006 is perhaps the POD getting him to not go to Bama?

Brees is probably good for a few more wins in 06/07 than otl but I think (and thus agree with you) that Saban still gets canned for somebody a little more pro-oriented and offensively minded (it took a long time for Saban to come around on modern college offenses even at Bama after all) to get Brees to that next level

Brees signing with Saban and the Dolphins in 2006 is perhaps the POD getting him to not go to Bama?

Brees is probably good for a few more wins in 06/07 than otl but I think (and thus agree with you) that Saban still gets canned for somebody a little more pro-oriented and offensively minded (it took a long time for Saban to come around on modern college offenses even at Bama after all) to get Brees to that next level
I imagine with Brees he would linger till 2008 when he might want an out to get back into college.

I shan't be posting here again as I posted a genuine WI and this was spammed off with the same American centric crap that totally floods this thread. Do we really want dozens of 'what if this player signed with this team' over and over? From the looks of it, sadly we do. :|

I shan't be posting here again as I posted a genuine WI and this was spammed off with the same American centric crap that totally floods this thread. Do we really want dozens of 'what if this player signed with this team' over and over? From the looks of it, sadly we do. :|
I think your WI is interesting but don’t know enough about the club game in the late 80s to comment. Was that Everton side good enough to win the Cup on paper?

Peyton Manning was actually very close to signing with the Arizona Cardinals in 2012.

Everyone thought he was going to end up there even the Vegas oddsmakers had him as a heavy favorite to sign there until of course he actually made a decide and signed with the Denver Broncos.

But what if he did sign with the Arizona Cardinals? Would he still end up getting a ring there along with Larry Fitzgerald? And as for Denver how different would there team look for the past decade?

But what if he did sign with the Arizona Cardinals? Would he still end up getting a ring there along with Larry Fitzgerald?
2014 would be the best year, 49ers collapsed, Manning was still on full strength, and rams were nobodies and already going out of STL. Plus 2013 could be far better too but I think 2014 is the magical year...Manning vs Brady SB anyone?

And as for Denver how different would there team look for the past decade?
Either keep Tebow or Trade up for Tannehill...or fuck it all and overdraft Foles?

2014 would be the best year, 49ers collapsed, Manning was still on full strength, and rams were nobodies and already going out of STL. Plus 2013 could be far better too but I think 2014 is the magical year...Manning vs Brady SB anyone?
wonder what kind of ratingsthat would gotten

Either keep Tebow or Trade up for Tannehill...or fuck it all and overdraft Foles?
Tebow turns out to be a fluke and comes down back to earth in 2012 and in 2013 they trade for Alex Smith

Tebow turns out to be a fluke and comes down back to earth in 2012 and in 2013 they trade for Alex Smith
Do the Chiefs trade up for Geno Smith or Emannuel or take whatever reclamation project is available? another one would be they taking Palmer