Make offal more popular in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that in the 1980s? I mean as long as I can remember you got like a tiny bag of peanuts or maybe paid like twenty bucks for a mediocre sandwich and half a 12 ounce can of Coke.

Well MRE's are a lot less bad then say WW2 rations. MRE's I've had a few times and sometimes they're surprisingly not bad. Not good but not that terrible. Though I could see why servicemen who eat them cold for like two weeks straight would despise them. I've heard that in such cases they can also cause tremendous problems with bathroom functions. To the extent that say going three days without doing your business is normal. Which might very well be intentional.

Big fan of SteveMRE1989. Really awesome reviews and such a kick ass way of presenting. Really want to try the French or Italian rations some day. A few of the standard Italian rations still actually contain booze. Namely a couple of the Breakfast ones include a little like two ounce bottle of a Cordial Waters standard. So yeah getting a ration with a free shot of like 30% alch content booze would be a nice treat for someone in the field. A lot of old US and other emergency Medical/suvival kits would contain amphetamine tablets as standard. Which I've seen Steve buy a few such old survival kits complete with Meth tablets on E Bay. The Brazilian Navy rations also contain a really cool little stove. A lot of countries rations have standard semi disposable little folding metal stoves with solid Esbit fuel tablets. But the Brazilian rations have a cool squeeze bottle of semi liquid alcohol fuel (sort of like a hand sanitizer that's fuel).

During the Gulf War there was apparently a semi standard trading system among Coalition Troops. Twenty US MRE's was worth one French Ration or like three of the French Rations were worth a US Cot (which was apparently better then the French bedding). Reminds me of how in Germany for a couple years post WW2 the standard currency wasn't actual money but instead American Cigarettes. Like it was standard for say laborers or farm hands or factory workers to receive wages of packs of US Camels/Marlboro's/Chesterfields and such. French Riot cops for some reason had rations that contained can's of fortified wine into the 1980s. Like giving your Riot cops a bottle of MD 20/20 with their meals. Because nothing helps more in a Riot then slightly drunk Riot Cops.

I really recommend Steve 1989MRE. He's got a really soothing Bob Ross type voice and he reviews the rations like their meals from five star restaurants instead of canned crap that was considered terrible when it was new during the Korean or Vietnam War and have been expired longer then the guy eating them has been alive.

One of the rations in those videos that he eat's is from fucking 1906. He's eating stuff that expired during WW1.

Another really funny thing is that a lot of old Life boat emergency rations from like the 1940s to late 1960s (for say sailors who's ship sank to survive on till rescue) consisted of like two pounds of hard candy and three cartons of Cigarettes. That would be designed for like 4 sailors to survive three days. Because of course the best thing to give shipwrecked sailors without much water is like a carton of cigarettes a piece.
The last delightful airline cuisine I consumed? Early '90's, don't remember which airline... the food had no taste at all - so much so that it amazed me that anything could be prepared in such a manner that produces something so bland.
It wasn't inedible, but probably something I wouldn't have eaten had it not been for the couple of bourbon-and-coke "nerve tonics" I had beforehand :p

I get liking spicy food but I don't get it when people eat food that's so damned spicy it's obviously not pleasurable. Like when people eat meals made with peppers with so much Capscasine that they're essentially solid fucking pepper spray and are obviously in horrible pain and sweating profusely but they still go out of their way to eat it. Not like normal spicy but Ghost pepper spicy.
Yeah, like anything, it can be taken too far, to the point where the heat obscures the taste of the food, rather than accents it, which is not good.
Really funny thing about my Czech buddy though... the wings that he enjoyed so much despite the obvious distress were the mild ones for that restaurant :p

The last delightful airline cuisine I consumed? Early '90's, don't remember which airline... the food had no taste at all - so much so that it amazed me that anything could be prepared in such a manner that produces something so bland.
It wasn't inedible, but probably something I wouldn't have eaten had it not been for the couple of bourbon-and-coke "nerve tonics" I had beforehand :p
Yeah I remember a few times bringing a handful of what are called " Nips" ( those little like two ounce tiny bottles of liquor you'll see on the counter of liqour stores.) on long flights. Despite ya know being flammable I would bring like eight or 12 ounces of bourbon or vodka on a long flight. But perfectly fine because the bottles were under 3 ounces each.

Yeah, like anything, it can be taken too far, to the point where the heat obscures the taste of the food, rather than accents it, which is not good.
Really funny thing about my Czech buddy though... the wings that he enjoyed so much despite the obvious distress were the mild ones for that restaurant :p
Yeah it just seems like a fad of the past few years. People eating meals or using hot sauces with so much capscasine you're literally physically incapable of experiencing any flavor of the food. Like people going and having meals that are literally tasteless and obviously causing them pain but doing it as some way of showing their bad ass.

Yeah I kind of figured that from the "Hrvats" part of your username :)
I had a Czech friend who had a big aversion to ginger... he was also a bit afraid of foods too hot/spicy until my ex-wife and I introduced him to buffalo wings at a local place... then he ate like 24 of 'em, sweating profusely and crying a little the whole time :p
The copious amounts of draught beer helped though...
Any Czech's trepidation can be overcome by copious amounts of beer and fried meat.

I love spicy food, and I also like ginger. I eat raw garlic from time to time too. I was more just supporting the anecdotal aversion to cilantro.
And the lemongrass thing is why I tend to avoid Vietnamese food.

Any Czech's trepidation can be overcome by copious amounts of beer and fried meat.

I love spicy food, and I also like ginger. I eat raw garlic from time to time too. I was more just supporting the anecdotal aversion to cilantro.
And the lemongrass thing is why I tend to avoid Vietnamese food.

The anecdotal aversion to Cilantro isn't anecdotal. It's a real thing and the evidence for it being a specific Genetic marker is pretty strong from what I can see. About 21 percent of East Asians and about 17 percent of Caucasians will always taste cilantro as being soap.

Though yes enough beer and fried meat can overcome even eating a dish that tastes like your gulping down liquid hand soap. Enough of those two things can overcome literally anything. Civilization itself is built on Fried Meat and Booze. They are mankinds greatest accomplishments. When human beings on Mars or the Moon can fry a nice big thick porterhouse steak with mushrooms and mashed potatoes and wash it down with copious amounts of booze then Mankind will truly achieve greatness. On that days Mankind will ascend to Godhood.

marathag

Banned
Maybe WW2 would be the key? A movement for both citizens and army to use everything from cattle?
Well, Hogs, and they called it SPAM

And for the Rest, That's OTL
1200px-%22V_-_MEET_THESE_MEATS%22_-_NARA_-_515961.jpg

9955289a499f0b41c5788ce322ffb751.jpg

marathag

Banned
I get liking spicy food but I don't get it when people eat food that's so damned spicy it's obviously not pleasurable. Like when people eat meals made with peppers with so much Capscasine that they're essentially solid fucking pepper spray and are obviously in horrible pain and sweating profusely but they still go out of their way to eat it. Not like normal spicy but Ghost pepper spicy.
Masochists, I think

Masochists, I think

It's just such a weird trend. I mean at a certain point the peppers have so much capscasin that it's literally impossible to taste anything. So even if the meal did have other flavors your not tasting it. Your just tasting pointless pain. You're paying a good deal of money to effectively just have a can of mace sprayed in your mouth and then eat some completely tasteless gruel.

It's just such a weird trend. I mean at a certain point the peppers have so much capscasin that it's literally impossible to taste anything. So even if the meal did have other flavors your not tasting it. Your just tasting pointless pain. You're paying a good deal of money to effectively just have a can of mace sprayed in your mouth and then eat some completely tasteless gruel.
People do it because they’re stupid. And note I don’t mean an individual person, I mean people as a group.

Once I had translated cilantro into English I was puzzled as I have never found anyone with this soap taste issue in the UK or France. Coriander leaves are a common ingredient and sold as fresh kitchen plants and as packets of fresh stalks.

On a different tack, my children abhor liver except when whizzed into a thick gravy and then devour it enthusiastically. Some of the resistance must be a texture thing rather than flavour, yet kidneys are no problem.

Benighted Johnny Foreigners must get confused in a British shop on finding Brain’s faggots in the frozen section……….. assuming there was a delivery at all……. How will the British cope when HP Sauce lorries fail to get across the Channel from the factory in the Netherlands? However, I digress.

Once I had translated cilantro into English I was puzzled as I have never found anyone with this soap taste issue in the UK or France. Coriander leaves are a common ingredient and sold as fresh kitchen plants and as packets of fresh stalks.

On a different tack, my children abhor liver except when whizzed into a thick gravy and then devour it enthusiastically. Some of the resistance must be a texture thing rather than flavour, yet kidneys are no problem.

Benighted Johnny Foreigners must get confused in a British shop on finding Brain’s faggots in the frozen section……….. assuming there was a delivery at all……. How will the British cope when HP Sauce lorries fail to get across the Channel from the factory in the Netherlands? However, I digress.
Sheer bloody horror.

Ever read "Protect and Survive". It'll be a lot like that but the survivors of the societal Breakdown will look at Protect and Survive as a case of "Oh wow I really wish that things were that good instead of the reality".

I'd suggest stocking up on a lot of leather post apocalyptic apparel and a souped up gas guzzler covered in Junkyard armor and spikes and prepare to deal with cannibalistic psychotic raiders.

Britain can endure a lot. A massive shortage of HP Sauce is however another thing entirely.

View attachment 688170
Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, flavoring, sugar, and sodium nitrite.
You can find Potted Meat (though I don't think it's called that) in the canned meat section of a lot of American supermarkets. I'm not sure I have ever in my life seen someone actually buy or eat it.

It seems to be both genetically and culturally mediated, since if you look deeper into the statistics that Father Maryland mentions above you'll find that people from places where cilantro/coriander are heavily used are much less likely to report disliking it, for example Middle Easterners and Hispanics only have single-digit rates of reporting similar views on cilantro. Considering how people can get used to and even like flavors that other people dislike, my guess is that something similar is in play here. They've learned that the soapy taste is actually good, or at least tolerable.

Smoothie.jpg
images
could probably put anything in there...
I would say "eh, I'd try it..." but I keep getting this lump welling up at the back of my throat when I think about it :confounded:
I like my food with texture, thank you...
Maybe in about 30 more years, if I'm still alive but all of my molars have fallen out by then :p

marathag

Banned
You can find Potted Meat (though I don't think it's called that) in the canned meat section of a lot of American supermarkets. I'm not sure I have ever in my life seen someone actually buy or eat it.
In the Midwest, it's next to all the other canned meats, like the SPAM and Deviled Ham/Chicken/Roast Beef, and yep, 'Potted Meat' is exactly how the label goes

If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on the shelf at Wally World and such other Big Box stores

Status
Not open for further replies.