Medieval America Mark III

So you have localized absolutism? Every sheriff a petty emperor?
Yeah, sort of. In Precolumbian times the basic unit of politics was the altepetl, the city-state, and larger entities didn't abolish these units, instead they figured out how to work alongside them. A smaller altepetl might have military forces too small, and neighbors too militarily strong/culturally influential, for the leader to have full authority over all matters political and cultural; some of these formed fairly equal confederations, like Tlaxcala. A large altepetl like Tenochtitlan, which alone held a few hundred thousand people, has its subunits but collectively has the force/influence to make its ruler a very important individual; in their case, they more or less openly dominated their "confederation" partners Texcoco and Tlacopan. However, its own population and the population of other regions will probably still have control over most of their own basic resources, power comes from the religious authority of the ruler and from a more feudal method of making claims (demands for tax/tribute, paid in luxury resources) and threatening force for non-compliance. So the bureaucracy forms around the need to coordinate tax payments and labor demands for large projects, with water as another one of its functions rather than the most important function of all. Governance in Mexico probably looks a lot like the Aztec precedent or even feudal Japan in some ways-- dealing with a large number of smallish units with the power of army and ceremony.

Last edited:
Just one question: When would be the Renaissance of North America?
Probably somewhere around 3100 to 3200 for its start, admittedly I have thought that steam engine and gunpowder would be reintroduced around the same time. With gunpowder weapons being reintroduced thanks to improved shipbuilding technology and restored Pacific trade with Asia. While the steam engine was first redeveloped in eastern America from rediscovered old world texts, first being used to pump water from mines. Only with the return of the scientific method and various scholars knowing a lot of old world machines ran on steam the technology got heavily invested early on.

Basically consider what technology looked like in 1492 on the eve of the original renaissance and that of 1892, over four hundred years later. Now considering that medieval American scholars have access to texts detailing to them & providing them a rough idea on what's possible. It probably wouldn't be to far of a stretch that they would redevelop most of that technology at half the rate.

Last edited:
The Renaissance might not necessarily occur in 3100 - 3200. In Europe, there were several factors that led to the Renaissance. Would these same factors exist in the MedAm White and us have created? I don't know.

Good point.

Perhaps the previous century saw the reemergence of oceanic trade with the old world following the return of improved sailing technology. While back in the America's a new black death esque plague allowed the surviving peasantry to demand more for their labor and various scholars to return back towards the scientific method.

That and a whole lot of wars and religious schisms that kicked off thanks to millennia fever.

The Gitmo Territory

250px-Seal_of_Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base.png

• System of Government: Thalassocratic Semi-Secretarial State
    • Head of State: The Base Commander (elected amongst the Council of Admirals)
  • Population: 720,000
  • Official Religion: Non-Denominationalism, amongst others
  • Totemic Symbol: The Golden Eagle of the Marines
Amongst the savage war-torn isles of Greater Cuba, one can find the fearsome Santiera necromancers, the dreaded Comunista marauders, and the bloodthirsty barbarians of Maya. But within this heathenous land stands a shining brotherhood, dedicated to upholding the holy principles of Christ, civilization, and liberty. From the Windward Passage to the cays of Sabana-Camagüey, the Gitmo Territory has stood firm throughout the centuries, defending the homeland from those who would seek to rape and pillage blessed Americana. But as one of the most distant tributaries of the USA, Gitmo is seen as a strange land by many, influenced by the cruel thraldoms of Antilles and traditions of an ancient enemy lost to time.

After the regression, thousands of soldiers, sailors, and servicemen across the Guantanamo Bay were cut off from Washington and banded together to survive the coming anarchy. After years of fighting against raids sent by Havana and preserving naval traditions from before the Regression, Gitmo would begin to develop a deep-rooted martial culture, eventually becoming a sort of Sparta-on-the-Caribbean. The fisher lords of Caimanera would quickly fall under the yoke of the Golden Eagle alongside the cotton reapers who lay inland. But while the warriors of Gitmo had become hardened through conquest, the southern coastal plain would grow fallow without any hands to till the land. Thankfully, Gitmo was filled to the brim with a large source of cheap labor, from within its prison walls.

From the earliest days of the regression, the peculiar institution of slavery had always remained commonplace within that southern Cuban bay. Unlike what happened in Kuluradu, the prisoners of Gitmo would not overthrow their kafir masters in a Great Jihad, but were instead put to work in the farms and whipped until their backs broke. As Gitmo was put on the warpath against its savage neighbors, the prison population would be flooded with new inmates captured from the frontlines. Left desperate by the cruel tortures of their masters, the prisoners of Gitmo would begin to take up the teachings of the old helots from before the regression. It was those bygone Imams who oft spoke of a great man from the east who struck down the western devil and the blessed land of the black stone, where all pious souls would arrive after death.

As time went on, the galleys of Gitmo would soon rediscover the remnants of the USA at their trading ports in Miami and Jacksonville. During this time, Base Commander Harlan Crane converted his captains to the Non-Denominational faith and asked that Baltimore make Gitmo an American tributary state. This request was not only done out of Gitmo’s adherence to old traditions but also desperation. From Havana, Secretario Raúl III “the Petty” had recently recaptured Santiago from the Golden Eagle, while waging a genocidal campaign against the rebellious mountain tribes of Sierra Maestra. Growing apprehensive at the comunista incursions upon the Florida Keys, the Senate quickly agreed to take up the Commander’s offer while the Chief Justice declared a Caribbean Crusade against the Red Menace.

Quickly, thousands of Southron knights claiming descent from Cubans exiled from the House Castro sailed south in their war against the great heresy. In the aftermath of the Crusade, a few island chains on the northern shore fell to the Gitmo Territory as the Secretario’s armies were left bruised and battered. While the Comunistas would not be completely subjugated by America’s conquest, the aftermath of the war left the Republic weakened and unable to control their rebellious serfs. This would lead to Cuba’s catastrophic defeat during the War of the Saints, forcing House Castro to flee to the Isle of Youth. Soon enough, Gitmo would become incredibly important for American interests as the Caribbean Empire rose and fell, sending ripples across the Middle Ocean.

As of now, the ruling class of captains and slaveholders rule over a massive indentured population, in a fashion similar to the other secretarial states of the Caribbean. While one can find the slaves speaking Spanish, French, Dutch, Lucumí, Arabic, or a strange creole of all five, the elite continue to speak the civilized tongue of English, similar to how the Capos of Novo Giorsi preserved the language of the Old Country. But the very upper crust of the elite lies a Council of Admirals, who are tasked to decide who to rule Gitmo after the Base Commander’s death and how to deal with the rising threat from N’awleens. In a sense, Gitmo is quite literally a navy with a nation, dedicated to preserving American hegemony in the Caribbean.

And of course, America remains dedicated to Gitmo for its steady supply of delicious sugarcane, coffee, and other southern treats. But while these crops remain valuable, Gitmo’s most profitable export by far is none other than its plentiful population of slaves, procured from those barbarous diseased jungles. From the Forgotten Coast to Cape Fear, the galleys of the Golden Eagle are a welcome sight amongst the Southern folk, as hordes of slave-drivers auction for the fittest slaves in the lot. Meanwhile, the CIA continues to prop up their loyal vassal by occasionally sending experienced bureaucrats, ensuring that the southern trade remains well run thus providing the Gulf with a cheap supply of peons and handmaids.

Unfortunately for the slave-merchants of Gitmo, it would not be uncommon for a few indentured folk to rise against their cruel masters every now and then. But time and time again, these rebellions had been put to the sword while the instigators would have their spirits broken in the black dungeons of Camp Delta. While the torturers of Gitmo remain ever so fierce, the slaves continue to cling tight to their hidden faith of Yihadismo. Deep within the plantations of the Antillies, one can find a hidden congregation of slaves praying for the Prophet to free them from their shackles and return their accursed souls to the blessed paradise of Afghan. But as of now, Gitmo continues to stand strong against the creeping tide of Voudoun and Mexican heresy as a shining city upon a hill.

Last edited:
Quickly, thousands of Southron knights claiming descent from Cuban exiles sailed south with the aid of Dougla corsairs commanded by Santanoo of Guadeloupe. In the aftermath of the Crusade, a few island chains on the northern shore fell to the Gitmo Territory as the Secretario’s armies were left bruised and battered. While the Comunistas would not be completely subjugated by America’s conquest, the aftermath of the war left the Republic weakened and unable to control their rebellious serfs. This would lead to Cuba’s catastrophic defeat during the War of the Saints, forcing House Castro to flee to the Isle of Youth. Soon enough, Gitmo would become incredibly important for American interests as the Caribbean Empire rose and fell, sending ripples across the Middle Ocean.
This might be the only part I object to. I'm imagining Santanoo as completely successful in his efforts to take over Cuba (or at least its coastline), but his empire collapsing on his death because he handles succession about as well as Alexander. The Dougla here could be stranded remnants led by a regional successor of Santanoo, who have decided to make their future in Cuba and end the post-Santanoo free-for-all as soon as possible-- so they ally with the Southrons against the Communists to carve out a more comfortable niche for themselves. While thinking of of Dougla names, Ragonat and Sinibas seemed like ones I'd want to use at some point.

Gitmo remaining as part of the American sphere through the Caribbean-Empire era... well I suppose Islamic Sicily did stick around for a while, and quite close to Rome as well. Gitmo's most important (though not the only) relationship may still be with the Voodoo, even if only before whatever slaves they take are only going to be those they are allowed to take by the Empire; maybe Gitmo is forced to buy only from Voodoo suppliers, who source them from places the leadership are okay with (newly conquered territories, etc). At the very least the Voodoo are going to require it to give up the right to call in the other Non-Denoms and sic them on the Caribbean.
Unfortunately for the slave-merchants of Gitmo, it would not be uncommon for a few indentured folk to rise against their cruel masters every now and then. But time and time again, these rebellions had been put to the sword while the instigators would have their spirits broken in the black dungeons of Camp Delta. While the torturers of Gitmo remain ever so fierce, the slaves continue to cling tight to their hidden faith of Yihadismo. Deep within the plantations of the Antillies, one can find a hidden congregation of slaves praying for the Prophet to free them from their shackles and return their accursed souls to the blessed paradise of Afghan. But as of now, Gitmo continues to stand strong against the creeping tide of Voudoun and Mexican heresy as a shining city upon a hill.
Makes you wonder how many religions make the Old World their heaven. The prototype for this is the Vodun conception of Guinee, but to this we can probably add Kuluradan memories of praying facing east, California conflating the stars with the places visited by Hubbard and the Sea Org (the constellations of Greece and Morocco...), a possible Quebecoid conception of France or Rome that ends up being scarily accurate minus the "it's heaven" bit. The one religion that for sure wouldn't do this might be Non-Denom.

Last edited:
This might be the only part I object to. I'm imagining Santanoo as completely successful in his efforts to take over Cuba (or at least its coastline), but his empire collapsing on his death because he handles succession about as well as Alexander. The Dougla here could be stranded remnants led by a regional successor of Santanoo, who have decided to make their future in Cuba and end the post-Santanoo free-for-all as soon as possible-- so they ally with the Southrons against the Communists to carve out a more comfortable niche for themselves. While thinking of of Dougla names, Ragonat and Sinibas seemed like ones I'd want to use at some point.
Alright, I'll cut that part out.
Gitmo remaining as part of the American sphere through the Caribbean-Empire era... well I suppose Islamic Sicily did stick around for a while, and quite close to Rome as well. Gitmo's most important (though not the only) relationship may still be with the Voodoo, even if only before whatever slaves they take are only going to be those they are allowed to take by the Empire; maybe Gitmo is forced to buy only from Voodoo suppliers, who source them from places the leadership are okay with (newly conquered territories, etc). At the very least the Voodoo are going to require it to give up the right to call in the other Non-Denoms and sic them on the Caribbean.
Well, I did try to keep information about the Caribbean Empire as vague as possible, so that other writers could fill in the gaps. But if anything in this post contradicts anyone's ideas for Caribbean history, then please let me know.
Makes you wonder how many religions make the Old World their heaven. The prototype for this is the Vodun conception of Guinee, but to this we can probably add Kuluradan memories of praying facing east, California conflating the stars with the places visited by Hubbard and the Sea Org (the constellations of Greece and Morocco...), a possible Quebecoid conception of France or Rome that ends up being scarily accurate minus the "it's heaven" bit. The one religion that for sure wouldn't do this might be Non-Denom.
Yeah, I based that part on how Rastafarians believe that Ethiopia is the Biblical Promised Land due to it being uncolonized by European powers.

So is there anything on this?: Clock of the long now

It definitely would have been completed by the time of the regression
First that Stone @djf64360 found and now this, how many other weird treasures are stored away in the South? Ngl it would be pretty fun for the South to just have weirdly cursed things like this everywhere, spooking people or attracting communities of kooks
Well, I did try to keep information about the Caribbean Empire as vague as possible, so that other writers could fill in the gaps. But if anything in this post contradicts anyone's ideas for Caribbean history, then please let me know.
That part's fine and the Caribbean canon is pretty malleable (and that goes for my contributions too ofc). I was just thinking Gitmo can't be completely independent when it's so close to the Caribbean center in Hispaniola. Could still be an interesting chapter of Gitmo history, having to deal with a hegemon that's not America while keeping up ties with the South.

First that Stone @djf64360 found and now this, how many other weird treasures are stored away in the South? Ngl it would be pretty fun for the South to just have weirdly cursed things like this everywhere, spooking people or attracting communities of kooks

That part's fine and the Caribbean canon is pretty malleable (and that goes for my contributions too ofc). I was just thinking Gitmo can't be completely independent when it's so close to the Caribbean center in Hispaniola. Could still be an interesting chapter of Gitmo history, having to deal with a hegemon that's not America while keeping up ties with the South.
I mean I can see the clock being a point of interest but why would it be perceived as cursed?

I mean I can see the clock being a point of interest but why would it be perceived as cursed?
"There is a Clock ringing deep inside a mountain. It is a huge Clock, hundreds of feet tall, designed to tick for 10,000 years. "
Even from a 21st century perspective this sounds Lovecraftian. And the fact that it makes different chiming noises every time just adds to the sense that it might be alive somehow

"There is a Clock ringing deep inside a mountain. It is a huge Clock, hundreds of feet tall, designed to tick for 10,000 years. "
Even from a 21st century perspective this sounds Lovecraftian. And the fact that it makes different chiming noises every time just adds to the sense that it might be alive somehow
So it's quite likely its worshipped in some form (church of the broken god, anyone?), I just don't think it would necessarily be perceived negativity

tehskyman

Banned
Considering that the site is in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert, it's probably abandoned. Some shepherd probably rediscovered it and it's now a vortex for the new agers

Considering that the site is in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert, it's probably abandoned. Some shepherd probably rediscovered it and it's now a vortex for the new agers
Looking at the map, it's a little too far to be in the range of the New Agers proper, and even to be in the range of the Pecos Horsemen

Generally speaking, the whole West Texas region is quite an interesting demographic mix-up - the New Agers proper near by in El Paso, the New Age Pecos Cowboys around Roswell and environs, Hispanic Vaqueros/Broncos, remnants of the Hell's Angels, Texas Germans which I've eluded to a few times, Okie remnants, potentially neo-Comanche.

tehskyman

Banned
Looking at the map, it's a little too far to be in the range of the New Agers proper, and even to be in the range of the Pecos Horsemen

Generally speaking, the whole West Texas region is quite an interesting demographic mix-up - the New Agers proper near by in El Paso, the New Age Pecos Cowboys around Roswell and environs, Hispanic Vaqueros/Broncos, remnants of the Hell's Angels, Texas Germans which I've eluded to a few times, Okie remnants, potentially neo-Comanche.
It's closer to El Paso/Juarez than the Carlsbad Caverns are. The only issue would be that people would forget about it and it's hard to find. It's in a remote valley. It's quite possible noone even knows about it.

It's closer to El Paso/Juarez than the Carlsbad Caverns are. The only issue would be that people would forget about it and it's hard to find. It's in a remote valley. It's quite possible noone even knows about it.
But that's not nearly as interesting as the alternative :p