DBWI: Ronald Reagan never becomes the CEO of the Walt Disney Company.

One thing I could see is Carter not having a second term, the Republicans screwed the pooch hard especially by attacking Reagan in the leadup to the election causing him to turn on them. Carter then getting the hostages released days after the election restored some confidence in him, which caused Carter and Reagan to become good friends. I remember Reagan's funeral and seeing Carter as one of the pallbearers, that was a touching sight.
I think without Carter and Reagan's friendship, we wouldn't of seen Disney's America open in 1986, but maybe could've popped up sometime during the mid-1990's.

I think so, I don't know really. It'd be possible that Reagan would consider it, but I doubt someone as charismatic and energized as Reagan was willing to become President.
Keep in mind that Reagan had considered running for Governor of California in 1966, but declined after Nixon had strong base that remained in California.

And didn't Gorbachev look really uncomfortable in that Davy Crocket Coon Skin cap?
I don't blame him. Speaking from personal experience, that cap is already itchy and otherwise uncomfortable for someone with a full head of hair.

It must have been all Gorby could do not to take the darn thing off and stomp on it.

I don't blame him. Speaking from personal experience, that cap is already itchy and otherwise uncomfortable for someone with a full head of hair.

It must have been all Gorby could do not to take the darn thing off and stomp on it.
Even more so considering he was in Florida. The hottest state in the country.

The funny thing about Reagan running for high office - he passed away in 2006 but was sharp as a tack to the very end. I remember seeing an interview with him on the Today Show a couple of months before he died and the subject of him going into politics and maybe even running for POTUS came up and one of the hosts (I think it was Lester Holt) commented that the topic was very popular in the corner of the internet devoted to discussing the what ifs of alternate history. Reagan found the whole thing hilarious.

I wonder if the Disney Renaissance of 1985-1994 would occur without Reagan taking the helm in 1982. Pocahontas being such a dud riddled with historical accuracy was what launched Disney animation into its second dark age which spanned from 1995-2003 and drove Reagan into retirement. George Bush did say in his memoir that the 1988 Magic Kingdom summit Reagan hosted for Bush and Gorbachev helped Bush sail to re election in 1988 and was a contributing factor in ending the Cold War.

I wonder if the Disney Renaissance of 1985-1994 would occur without Reagan taking the helm in 1982. Pocahontas being such a dud riddled with historical accuracy was what launched Disney animation into its second dark age which spanned from 1995-2003 and drove Reagan into retirement. George Bush did say in his memoir that the 1988 Magic Kingdom summit Reagan hosted for Bush and Gorbachev helped Bush sail to re election in 1988 and was a contributing factor in ending the Cold War.
I think the Disney Renaissance would still occur, just maybe under someone else. Maybe Michael Eisner? Like, Eisner doesn't go to work at Warner Bros?

Then again, we probably wouldn't get Looney Tunes: The Movie in 1996...

The funny thing about Reagan running for high office - he passed away in 2006 but was sharp as a tack to the very end. I remember seeing an interview with him on the Today Show a couple of months before he died and the subject of him going into politics and maybe even running for POTUS came up and one of the hosts (I think it was Lester Holt) commented that the topic was very popular in the corner of the internet devoted to discussing the what ifs of alternate history. Reagan found the whole thing hilarious.
Reagan becoming POTUS is an interesting concept. I remember reading Winds of Change: The Presidency of Ronald Reagan on here and I loved it!

The Star Wars program storyline was bit unrealistic though. :p

Dolan

Banned
Pocahontas being such a dud riddled with historical accuracy was what launched Disney animation into its second dark age
The film itself is stilk highly prized by Historians and continue to be the very definition of historical accuracy in cartoon medium. The cultural studies, the geographical accuracy, the attention to detail...

Too bad they also going for historically accurate events that made Pocahontas being enslaved, forcibly married, and still fall in love with John Rolfe. Only to be made into what is essentially circus freak and died over poor hygienic practice...

Yes it was presented as a Tragedy, but still, the film with this caliber of research and detail should've been a life-action aimed at obvious adult audience instead of a colorful cartoon that... well... literally made many children, who thought the film is some fun disney fairytale, literally cried in movies over how such... horrible tragedy could befallen on a girl so innocent.... It was joked that a cheerful elementary schooler watching the film would end the film thinking like an emo teen.

This does inspired Disney to set aside separate production house for more "serious" films and also opened historical accuracy in cartoon as a valid option, just for those not aimed at the kids.

The film itself is stilk highly prized by Historians and continue to be the very definition of historical accuracy in cartoon medium. The cultural studies, the geographical accuracy, the attention to detail...

Too bad they also going for historically accurate events that made Pocahontas being enslaved, forcibly married, and still fall in love with John Rolfe. Only to be made into what is essentially circus freak and died over poor hygienic practice...

Yes it was presented as a Tragedy, but still, the film with this caliber of research and detail should've been a life-action aimed at obvious adult audience instead of a colorful cartoon that... well... literally made many children, who thought the film is some fun disney fairytale, literally cried in movies over how such... horrible tragedy could befallen on a girl so innocent.... It was joked that a cheerful elementary schooler watching the film would end the film thinking like an emo teen.

This does inspired Disney to set aside separate production house for more "serious" films and also opened historical accuracy in cartoon as a valid option, just for those not aimed at the kids.
Ye. Just like how Reagan used Touchstone Pictures to make "darker" and "serious" films on US History. Roosevelt made by Oliver Stone was my favorite film relating to US WWII History.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
You know, I saw an alt history with Reagan becoming president in which the economically stagnant times of the 1970s kept going, and the middle class was pulled with some going into the upper class and some into lower.

I did not find it fully believeable.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
1064DE54-DF85-45B3-9F48-20BC40A6BE21.jpeg

I mean, they really tried to make it realistic. They had slightly more people moving into upper income than lower. College became even more high stakes, with the professions esp. of law and medicine having even a firmer hold on society.

Meanwhile, big swaths of America became more like a third world country. They even threw in mass incarceration.

Much as I like a good dystopian story, I just . . . couldn’t buy into it! Sorry. I think other people really liked some of the main characters.

Last edited:
I do wish Reagan had kept the Disney Corporation out of the property development business, that faux Dickensian monstrosity of a new town Great Expectations in Essex is horrible. Not that many Essex families can afford to live there.

View attachment 554001
I mean, they really tried to make it realistic. They had slightly more people moving into upper income than lower. College became even more high stakes, with the professions esp. of law and medicine having even a firmer hold on society.

Meanwhile, big swaths of America became more like a third world country. They even threw in mass incarceration.

Much as I like a good dystopian story, I just . . . couldn’t buy into it! Sorry. I think other people really liked some of the main characters.
What?! You thought it was unrealistic? I saw it completely plausible!