Queen Margaret I of England

VVD0D95

Banned
I could definitely see the pro-French duke of Albany attempting to "assist" that in any way possible. A match between Margaret/Katherine Stewart and the dauphin might be broached to say nothing of match between Elizabeth and Karl V. OTL Karl couldn't afford to wait for Mary to grow up, but Liz is 3 years older and will be able to marry in 1525/26 at earliest (where as OTL Mary was still in single digits).

Although an imperial match might hinge on whether Karl V married Mary the Elder or not.

Oh a hundred percent, Albany might even cause some trouble for his cousin through trying to stoke rebellions no doubt. And agreed a marriage between I think Margaret and the Dauphin would definitely be suggested.

For Elizabeth, would it be out of bounds to suggest that Karl might marry a son he has by Mary Tudor the Elder if he marries her, to Elizabeth?

Oh a hundred percent, Albany might even cause some trouble for his cousin through trying to stoke rebellions no doubt. And agreed a marriage between I think Margaret and the Dauphin would definitely be suggested.

For Elizabeth, would it be out of bounds to suggest that Karl might marry a son he has by Mary Tudor the Elder if he marries her, to Elizabeth?

Age gap might be iffy. Karl would only be thirteen in 1513, since Mary was only married in 1515 OTL, its not unthinkable that they'd maybe hold off a bit. See what other fish are biting (Christian II of Denmark, a traditional Scots ally; Louis XII; Manuel I of Portugal, a traditional English ally) first. Besides, AIUI Mary was closer to Henry VIII/KoA than what Mags was, so while Louis might originally look to marry to Mary, James might buy him off with KoA (to remove KoA from England). Louis might live a few years more (no further than say 1520) without wearing himself out on the most beauteous princess in Christendom.
Which leaves Mary as a sort of lightning rod. Karl's too young for IMMEDIATE marriage, and besides, Maximilian I's negotiating the Congress of Vienna with the Jagiellons in 1514/1515.
Maybe she already has started flirting with Brandon here (similar to Liz and Bob Dudley later), that James-Mags feel she needs to be married off quickly. Problem is lack of available candidates (either too young or married already in 1514/1515), and since Christian II showed no interest in leaving Dyveke for the emperor's granddaughter, I doubt that - no matter how beautiful Mary is - he's going to do anything differently for a queen's sister.

@Jan Olbracht @krieger @Jürgen

VVD0D95

Banned
Age gap might be iffy. Karl would only be thirteen in 1513, since Mary was only married in 1515 OTL, its not unthinkable that they'd maybe hold off a bit. See what other fish are biting (Christian II of Denmark, a traditional Scots ally; Louis XII; Manuel I of Portugal, a traditional English ally) first. Besides, AIUI Mary was closer to Henry VIII/KoA than what Mags was, so while Louis might originally look to marry to Mary, James might buy him off with KoA (to remove KoA from England). Louis might live a few years more (no further than say 1520) without wearing himself out on the most beauteous princess in Christendom.
Which leaves Mary as a sort of lightning rod. Karl's too young for IMMEDIATE marriage, and besides, Maximilian I's negotiating the Congress of Vienna with the Jagiellons in 1514/1515.
Maybe she already has started flirting with Brandon here (similar to Liz and Bob Dudley later), that James-Mags feel she needs to be married off quickly. Problem is lack of available candidates (either too young or married already in 1514/1515), and since Christian II showed no interest in leaving Dyveke for the emperor's granddaughter, I doubt that - no matter how beautiful Mary is - he's going to do anything differently for a queen's sister.

@Jan Olbracht @krieger @Jürgen

Hmm this is very true. Would it be terribly wrong of me to have Mary and Brandon marry in secret, and for Mary to do a Edward IV and reveal the marriage when her sister is trying to talk about marriage candidates?

Hmm this is very true. Would it be terribly wrong of me to have Mary and Brandon marry in secret, and for Mary to do a Edward IV and reveal the marriage when her sister is trying to talk about marriage candidates?

And Henry's threat to Mary from The Tudors will come true:
"We are still debating whether to make your bedmate [Brandon] a head shorter!"

Brandon has ZERO reason to expect ANY good will from Mags-Jimbo. So I don't see him chancing his cock here

VVD0D95

Banned
And Henry's threat to Mary from The Tudors will come true:
"We are still debating whether to make your bedmate [Brandon] a head shorter!"

Brandon has ZERO reason to expect ANY good will from Mags-Jimbo. So I don't see him chancing his cock here

This is very true, so one supposes it will remain a love from afar. Hmm, Manuel I marrying Mary Tudor instead of Eleanor of Austria would be fascinating though Mary would be 22 by then, though one wonders if they might not propose Mary for John III?

This is very true, so one supposes it will remain a love from afar. Hmm, Manuel I marrying Mary Tudor instead of Eleanor of Austria would be fascinating though Mary would be 22 by then, though one wonders if they might not propose Mary for John III?

João is already betrothed to an unspecified Habsburg archduchess, so no dice there

Ahh this is true, guess she'll probably have to wait for Manuel then, or elope aha

Never said she WON'T marry Karl V. I could see Jimbo keeping her under strict surveillance (think Mary-Elizabeth) to prevent JUST such a thing from occuring.
And if Karl's AS interested in marrying Anna Jagiellonika as he was OTL, then Mary is a good alternative. I could see KoA playing matchmaker actually

VVD0D95

Banned
Never said she WON'T marry Karl V. I could see Jimbo keeping her under strict surveillance (think Mary-Elizabeth) to prevent JUST such a thing from occuring.
And if Karl's AS interested in marrying Anna Jagiellonika as he was OTL, then Mary is a good alternative. I could see KoA playing matchmaker actually

Hmm this is very true, maybe Katherine starts writing to her nephew from France/London when she gets the chance and once she's gotten to know Jimbo and Margaret a bit better.

VVD0D95

Banned
And actually that's something, would Margaret be expected to do any actual ruling or would she be expected to manage the more ceremonial stuff like court balls and masques etc? Cause Jimbo has got about twenty years experience of being a King by this point.

Hmm this is very true, maybe Katherine starts writing to her nephew from France/London when she gets the chance and once she's gotten to know Jimbo and Margaret a bit better.

Sounds plausible. And also, KoA might convince Louis XII that it's in French interests. Otherwise Karl is going to push to marry Claude (who is a step removed from Brittany), whereas Mary is from a "friendly" power. Louis might not be inclined to listen to Katherine, but if she's pregnant or given him a healthy son, I could see him being more "indulgent".

VVD0D95

Banned
Sounds plausible. And also, KoA might convince Louis XII that it's in French interests. Otherwise Karl is going to push to marry Claude (who is a step removed from Brittany), whereas Mary is from a "friendly" power. Louis might not be inclined to listen to Katherine, but if she's pregnant or given him a healthy son, I could see him being more "indulgent".

That's very true, and I imagine as well that Louis might see it as potentially keeping them all in a peace for a time.

That's very true, and I imagine as well that Louis might see it as potentially keeping them all in a peace for a time.

From what I read in the article about Charles VIII, Charles WOULD'VE had such naïve notions. Louis had a far clearer view of things than either his brother-in-law (Charles) or son-in-law (François I)

VVD0D95

Banned
From what I read in the article about Charles VIII, Charles WOULD'VE had such naïve notions. Louis had a far clearer view of things than either his brother-in-law (Charles) or son-in-law (François I)

Hmm this is true, so, perhaps he sees it as a lesser evil than Charles marrying Claude and maybe getting a shot at Brittany

And actually that's something, would Margaret be expected to do any actual ruling or would she be expected to manage the more ceremonial stuff like court balls and masques etc? Cause Jimbo has got about twenty years experience of being a King by this point.
Interesting, very interesting. In terms of the balance of power, I know @isabella mentioned that James would probably do the actual ruling, but what role would Margaret have?
Raising children and a little more influence in the government than a normal Queen most likely and naturally organizing the court life...

Kellan the point about Mary is who she is already engaged to Charles of Burgundy since the end of 1507 and ad the engagement in OTL was broken by Henry VIII under suggestion by Wolsey only in 1513, I doubt James would touch it...
Likewise Katherine of Aragon would not be any trouble for James as being again a childless widow at 27 years old she would be likely called back in Spain by her father (as she can be useful in Aragon or as regent in Castile).
I can not see her as third wife for Louis XII as he would want a younger princess (so here I can see him remarrying to Eleanor of Austria who will be offered as OTL to him) but she can serve as regent in Castile and become later the third wife of Manuel of Portugal unless her father decided to give back Naples to Ferdinand, Duke of Calabria under condition of marrying Catalina.

VVD0D95

Banned
Kellan the point about Mary is who she is already engaged to Charles of Burgundy since the end of 1507 and ad the engagement in OTL was broken by Henry VIII under suggestion by Wolsey only in 1513, I doubt James would touch it...
Likewise Katherine of Aragon would not be any trouble for James as being again a childless widow at 27 years old she would be likely called back in Spain by her father (as she can be useful in Aragon or as regent in Castile).
I can not see her as third wife for Louis XII as he would want a younger princess (so here I can see him remarrying to Eleanor of Austria who will be offered as OTL to him) but she can serve as regent in Castile and become later the third wife of Manuel of Portugal unless her father decided to give back Naples to Ferdinand, Duke of Calabria under condition of marrying Catalina.
Hmm that could be quite interesting though how likelt
Is it for Ferdinand to part with Naples?