Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogdanoff

Banned
Any reason for the lumpy border in the middle of nowhere for PA's northern border?
I kinda did it in the first place just because I wanted to draw this lumpy border, but the idea is that PA takes some(probably completely useless) land from NY in the peace treaty following the said war

This is my 1st map here, it doesn't really have much of a story, the idea is just that US had been stuck with articles of confederation for a couple years longer than in OTL and in that time Pennsylvania fought a war with New York over acсess to lake Erie wich she obviously won, I just felt like doing it

Well met! Very nice!

I kinda did it in the first place just because I wanted to draw this lumpy border, but the idea is that PA takes some(probably completely useless) land from NY in the peace treaty following the said war

I think it's more a question of why that particular lumpy border. A suggestion might be to see what townships/roads/etc might have been in play in those areas at the time, just to give a fictional border a reasonably logical anchor is all.

Thanks!

Yep It's a territorial crossover allowing travel from most of Hungary to Szekelyland, as well as from Romania to Romania across the corridor. Similar to that proposed OTL by the UN for Mandatory Palestine.

The allies managed to convince both Hungary and Romania to switch sides by not treating either too harshly- and really they managed to come up with a favorable arrangement for all parties only by carving up Germany. Yugoslavia, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia all ended up with formerly-German areas.

So while the redrawing of borders in Transylvania is relatively more favorable to Romania than the Second Vienna Accord was, Hungary is compensated by gaining Vienna and some land around it.

(or "regaining" Vienna, if you listen to Hungary's version of events: Italy, Yugoslavia, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia all portray the territorial changes as "recovered" territory, similarly to the way OTL Poland did)

That's an interesting question. Of course the independent Prussia covers the original historical East Prussia, but very little of the land that Prussia ended up covering by the 19th century.

The allies actually end up allowing a referendum in the independent Prussia on the restoration of the monarchy, and the people of Prussia indeed decide to restore the Hohenzollerns to the throne in Königsberg, forming a constitutional monarchy. Germany becomes a federal republic similar to IOTL.

Culturally, Prussia is... pretty similar to the nearby areas of Germany... except that its inhabitants definitely identify as Prussian, not German. And economically, it's more closely linked with Poland and Lithuania.

Not sure what would happen linguistically. Maybe Low German would stay more popular in Prussia? It might be too late for that to happen though.
Vienna isn’t in Austria? That will take some getting used to. Did the Hungarians change its name like Poland did with the cities they acquired? I don’t think they would, since Vienna is an iconic city and I don’t think Hungarians had that much of a dislike for Austria. Maybe they would acknowledge the cities’ imperial heritage, while trying to portray Hungary as having done most of the heavy lifting in the Empire.

I’m glad that ethnic communities seem to have been considered in the border between Romania and Hungary, though. People’s rights are more important than pretty borders.

Prussia is in a strategic position for Baltic Sea trade.

Also, you said that the Soviet Union collapsed in this would. What ended up happening with Russia and the other SSRs? Lithuanian seems to be independent, but not Belarus or Ukraine. And did Latvia and Estonia become a single country?

Last edited:
It'd be kinda cool to see PA take its claims from NY:
Penncolony.png

View attachment 492943

Ladies and gentlemen - @Thanosaekk and I present to you... the first up to date QBAM map of the Kaiserreich Universe! (AFAIK anyway)

We started working together on this project back in June when I posted a portion of Europe I was working on, and from there we expanded it to a map of the world in 1936. There was a long hiatus taken, but just the other day I picked it back up and pushed through to completion. Keep in mind that because of this hiatus, there's some mapping inconsistencies here and a fair amount of it is lacking proper subdivisions (Russia and Bharatiya for instance), but I wanted to get this out before I improved upon it. Eventually, I plan on expanding the map to have the level of detail that Europe and Mittelafrika have. Feel free to add on to it and use it however you like!

Also creds to @Crazy Boris for the excellent QBAM of the western hemisphere - it's largely OTL in the KRTL except for a few adjustments in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada so I used much of his work to fill in that region!

KR has actually updated a few of its borders in Eastern Europe, Lithuania is much bigger, Poland now has everything west of the bug river and the revamped caucuses have been revealed
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kaiserreich/comments/da3usn/progress_report_95/

https://i.imgur.com/l66Che0.jpg

This map comes from my recently completed TLIAW, which can be found here https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...of-prince-rupert-the-cavalier-elector.475494/, covering an alternate life of Prince Rupert the famous cavalier that ultimately leads to him become Elector of the Palatinate and King of Bohemia before his son inherits England in TTL's equivalent of the Hanoverian Succession.

Very handsome map.

No "quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing" excuse in this timeline! :biggrin:

Bogdanoff

Banned
Well met! Very nice!

I think it's more a question of why that particular lumpy border. A suggestion might be to see what townships/roads/etc might have been in play in those areas at the time, just to give a fictional border a reasonably logical anchor is all.
At the time there wasn't really much of anything, I tried to rely on Allegheny relief

Vienna isn’t in Austria? That will take some getting used to. Did the Hungarians change its name like Poland did with the cities they acquired? I don’t think they would, since Vienna is an iconic city and I don’t think Hungarians had that much of a dislike for Austria. Maybe they would acknowledge the cities’ imperial heritage, while trying to portray Hungary as having done most of the heavy lifting in the Empire.
Well, most of Vienna, including the oldest part of it, is in Hungary, and is now known by its Hungarian name of Bécs. (Bécs has always been its Hungarian-language name, so they didn't actually change the name they use). Except for the suburbs north of the Danube, which are now known as the Czechoslovakian city of Vídeň. (the river Danube forms the southern border of Czechoslovakia all the way from Regensburg to Bratislava now)

Both Hungary and Czechoslovakia point to the fact that Vienna had large Hungarian and Czech minorities during the time of the Austrian Empire, as a way to justify their claims; Hungary would also point to the brief points in the past in which Vienna was under Hungarian control.

I think that, yeah, they won't ignore the history of Vienna. Just downplay the German element, and promote the Hungarian links to Vienna's history.
I’m glad that ethnic communities seem to have been considered in the border between Romania and Hungary, though. People’s rights are more important than pretty borders.
Yep- the borders outside of Germany do more closely follow ethnic lines.
Unfortunately people's rights are kinda ignored for German civilians ITTL, maybe even more so than IOTL.

Prussia is in a strategic position for Baltic Sea trade.
I don't know how important Baltic Sea trade is nowadays, but yep.
Also, you said that the Soviet Union collapsed in this would. What ended up happening with Russia and the other SSRs? Lithuanian seems to be independent, but not Belarus or Ukraine. And did Latvia and Estonia become a single country?

Germany captured Leningrad, Stalingrad, and Moscow; ITTL Japan also joined the fight against the USSR further contributing to its collapse. It ended up as a situation where there were essentially a bunch of communist rebellions against German occupation, but with no meaningful central Soviet governmental control.

Once Italy joined the Allies, though, the Allies managed to first liberate France and then get through Germany and Poland. Once Germany finally fell, a Soviet government managed to spring up against the German occupiers, and reassert control, but it's much weaker than the OTL Soviet Union and has less land.

Estonia, Latvia, and Finland are all independent.

Here's another fresh map for the RDNA-verse. This time, though, here's a completed map of South America in its entirety, which hadn't been given as much attention previously. The full-sized version can be found on DeviantArt.

A remake of sorts to this map from 2010 as well as these entries for Portuguese Brazil and Gran Patagonia from 2011, there was a lot more in the way of retcons and revisions. While some of them were long-overdue and others were to partially for the sake of consistency, it's also an opportunity to really expand on this aspect of the setting. And really, it's been great to once more see how far this has come from those early works.

And just to be on the safe side, this is a work of fiction. While the map itself is framed as something from within the setting (including references to politically incorrect terms in our reality), this is not meant to be an ideological or propagandizing work.

At any rate, I hope you all enjoy this piece. And well...Independência ou Morte.

----​

South America: A Basic Introduction

Covering an area of 17,840,000 square km., or approximately 12% of the Earth's landmass, South America is the fourth largest continent on the globe. Forming the lower half of the New World, and straddling the Southern Hemisphere, it is also home to two of the leading "Free Nations" and remains largely free from Collectivist control in spite of the Terror. While some may dispute how "free" they are, few would deny how they stay defiant and firm.

In contrast to North America, the history of much of the South after the 16th Century is tied with Spain and Portugal. With the loss of what would become New Austria to the Habsburgs of the Holy Roman Empire, the Spanish Crown focused more on its reduced resources into settling and developing their remaining lands. Following the defeat of the last Incan holdouts in 1590, these burgeoning territories consolidated into the Viceroyalties of Nueva Granada, Peru and (by 1685) Rio de la Plata. While Madrid's hold over these vast lands seemed ironclad for a time, this gradually unraveled. Beginning with the Patagonian Rebellion in 1797, however, these colonies waged their own wars of independence, which by the 1820s coalesced around Gran Patagonia (following the 1806 Unity Accord endorsed by Francisco de San Martín) and the republics of the Latin Alliance led by Colombia (forged as a compromise by Simon Bolivar and Camilo Tenorio).

Since the Terror, however, Gran Patagonia has emerged as not only the self-proclaimed successor to fallen Spain's heritage and a dominant power in its own right, but alongside the American Federation has become (as its people claim) a powerful bastion of republicanism and democracy. While it managed to consolidate the fractured remnants of Peru and Spain's island territories, however, the Latin Alliance crumbled. All that remains of it is the Reactionary-controlled Republic of Colombia further north. Though nominally a member of the "League of Neutral Defiance", the ruling "Bolivaristas" remain adamant in restoring their country's power by any means, even in the face of growing tensions and militias backed by the Collectivist Internationale.

Meanwhile, much of the continent's remainder is dominated by the Legitimate Union of Brazil, more commonly known as Portuguese Brazil. Compared to the surrounding Spanish territories, a blend of substantial colonial ventures and hard-earned compromises had led to the realm's rise as a "Co-Kingdom" to Portugal by 1825, with plans to form an equal union if not for the Terror. While nominally host to the House of Braganza much like New Austria's Habsburg Throne-in-Exile, the Lusitanian Brigantine Throne has remained "vacant" since the Belem Incident of 1992, with elements of the Brazilian military (said to be backed alongside republican parties by Gran Patagonia) maintaining a regency in what has been coined a "Military Interregnum."

Whatever their issues, these nations and the remainder of the "Free World" have undeniably done much to hold back the Internationale and its so-called "Will of the Workers." Represented by the likes of the People's Equatorial Union, the Collectivists are known to have remade their corner of South America in their distorted image over generations. Testimonies from refugees and so-called "unpersons" speaking of centuries of history being destroyed forever, while the frontiers even in the Amazon are among the most heavily armed on the globe.

Even with such ever-present issues, there remains much for anyone willing to take the risk. Though to truly understand South America, one may find it wise to visit Portuguese Brazil, or perhaps Gran Patagonia, while he or she still could.

- “The Knowledgeable Traveller’s Guide to the New World.” Royal Dominion of New Austria. 2023 Edition. English Edition.

----​

As a bit of trivia, while the flag for Gran Patagonia is the same as from back in 2010, the one for the Legitimate Union of Brazil was considerably tweaked to look much more professional and befitting its culture. Meanwhile, the Colombian flag uses a coat of arms that combines elements from various aspects of its real-world history, particularly the insignia for Gran Colombia.

Some of the placenames, such as "Colonia Dresde" and "Novo Milão" are not only hints as to where certain "Lost Nation" refugees fled to after the Terror, but also mirrors how German and Italian settlers also established themselves in South America.

Gran Patagonia's position and standing as the other leading republican power is meant to be a mirror of the Americans in-universe in more ways than one, albeit more aggressive and less idealistic.

----

eUSK6rY.png

KapiTod

Banned
Technically still a work in progress, but any other work done on it will be cosmetic- editing a couple of coasts and trying to work out how to account for curvature. Also I've been at this for like two days straight and I have to post something!

The Hyborian Era, straight from the mind of Robert E. Howard- and myself of course.

unknown.png

Further work will be required to finish adding in rivers and the political map, aside from that and the aforementioned cosmetic changes the work is done.

The Hyborian Era was a period in human history which lasted for roughly 8,000 years, ending with the onset of the Ice Age. Howard envisioned a world much like our own Classical or Medieval period, complete with advanced architecture and metal working, complex state societies with codified systems of religion, law, and governance over populations numbering into the thousands, and cross-continental trade. This world was very much a product of its time, had he lived a few more decades I wonder what he would have thought of later discoveries in paleontology and anthropology. He'd certainly not have been too thrilled about our modern views on the origins of humanity.

I've stuck relatively closely to Howards ideas of what ancient geography may have looked like, and gone my own way with a few others. Most of the major changes in his ideas are around human history and development since they were pretty wild.

Also I merged a bunch of stuff with Lovecraft since they were contemporaries and correspondents, so why not?

An annotated map should be expected around the Summer of 2020, if you're lucky.

Well, most of Vienna, including the oldest part of it, is in Hungary, and is now known by its Hungarian name of Bécs. (Bécs has always been its Hungarian-language name, so they didn't actually change the name they use). Except for the suburbs north of the Danube, which are now known as the Czechoslovakian city of Vídeň. (the river Danube forms the southern border of Czechoslovakia all the way from Regensburg to Bratislava now)

Both Hungary and Czechoslovakia point to the fact that Vienna had large Hungarian and Czech minorities during the time of the Austrian Empire, as a way to justify their claims; Hungary would also point to the brief points in the past in which Vienna was under Hungarian control.

I think that, yeah, they won't ignore the history of Vienna. Just downplay the German element, and promote the Hungarian links to Vienna's history.

Yep- the borders outside of Germany do more closely follow ethnic lines.
Unfortunately people's rights are kinda ignored for German civilians ITTL, maybe even more so than IOTL.

I don't know how important Baltic Sea trade is nowadays, but yep.

Germany captured Leningrad, Stalingrad, and Moscow; ITTL Japan also joined the fight against the USSR further contributing to its collapse. It ended up as a situation where there were essentially a bunch of communist rebellions against German occupation, but with no meaningful central Soviet governmental control.

Once Italy joined the Allies, though, the Allies managed to first liberate France and then get through Germany and Poland. Once Germany finally fell, a Soviet government managed to spring up against the German occupiers, and reassert control, but it's much weaker than the OTL Soviet Union and has less land.

Estonia, Latvia, and Finland are all independent.
One more thing I forgot to ask: How is Libya nowadays? Did they eventually become independent? Living under Fascist Italy for so many years can’t have been pleasant.

One more thing I forgot to ask: How is Libya nowadays? Did they eventually become independent? Living under Fascist Italy for so many years can’t have been pleasant.
Libya ended up with a primarily-Italian population and stayed part of Italy. But following the fall of fascism in Italy, Libyan Arabs who had been forced out of their homes are allowed to return; by the present day, Libya is an autonomous region of Italy, and Arabic and Berber are recognized regional languages.

The other Italian colony, Italian East Africa (Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Somalia), does manage to become independent following the fall of fascism in Italy.

Also I merged a bunch of stuff with Lovecraft since they were contemporaries and correspondents, so why not?

Howard actually wrote a few Lovecraftian tales himself, although being Robert Howard rather than Howard Philips, abominations often can be killed with cold steel and white magic, and in one case with humongous snake poison.

Howard actually wrote a few Lovecraftian tales himself, although being Robert Howard rather than Howard Philips, abominations often can be killed with cold steel and white magic, and in one case with humongous snake poison.

This I think can come up Robert Howard take on the matter.

Conan the Barbarian, The Vale of Lost Women.

"A devil from the Outer Dark," he grunted. "Oh, they're nothing uncommon. They lurk as thick as fleas outside the belt of light which surrounds this world. I've heard the wise men of Zamora talk of them. Some find their way to Earth, but when they do they have to take on some earthly form and flesh of some sort. A man like myself, with a sword, is a match for any amount of fangs and talons, infernal or terrestrial..."

I do prefer this as I never been on board for Cosmic Horror as the way Lovecraft put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.