US Military procurement programs results reversed

They really expected to have to fight and expected to die just to delay the Germans. Many (like my grandfather) were WW1 veterans and quite liked the P17. By 1942 they could have probably defeated a Sea Lion by themselves and by 1944 have made an Overlord hard work.

To be fair, given what the Germans would be bringing ashore, namely disorganized scattered light infantry, and who a lot of the Home Guard was, namely WWI vets with two pertinent skill sets, namely digging in deep and shooting Germans, I suspect the Home Guard could have seen off any plausible Sealion by themselves.

The J-19 wins over the J-20 to become China's stealth fighter (the J-19 apparently looked like a huge F-22 with canards, which would have been insanely huge and overweight and probably necessitated even interim engines in the NK-25 class).

As for what I'd change. Instead of m1903 post ww1 I'd use m1917. m1 be using .276 instead of 30-06, Thompson be replaced sooner with m3, dump 7.62 nato period, and scrap m14 in favour of either AR 10 or FAL
The U.S. adopting a selective fire FAL in .276 or another similar cartridge is (to me anyways) an interesting "what if."

After WWI, the Army had enough M1903s and M1917s that they could have standardized on either. Ordnance decided to keep their bootleg Mauser with target sights and throw out what was probably the best bolt-action military rifle of the war.

US Army ordnance for 100 year of fucked up small arms procurement development and purchase decisions.

Anderman

Donor
The Luger, really?? I admit to being a bit of a 1911 fanboy but the 1911 is waaaay more rugged than the Luger. Drop a 1911 in the mud, it should work, a Luger, not so much - like a lot of German design over-engineered and never use one part when you can use three for the same job.

Gun Jesus and friend tested it

I am a little bit curious about Humvee alternatives. Other western countries use nothing like it. And those countries that do use it tend to be 3rd world who owe the US something.

It seems unusual that US requirements ended up so out of sync with that of its peers.

The U.S. adopting a selective fire FAL in .276 or another similar cartridge is (to me anyways) an interesting "what if."

It's important to note that .276 Pederson was almost as big as .308 Winchester (7 x 51 mm compared to 7.62 x 51 mm). The FAL was originally designed for .280 British (7 x 43 mm). My personal issue with the Pederson cartridge is the steepness of the case wall, which would force large box magazines to be fairly severely curved; this becomes a significant impediment for carrying magazines in web gear and can be problematic when shooting prone if the magazine is resting on the rear wall instead of the bottom.

US Army ordnance for 100 year of fucked up small arms procurement development and purchase decisions.

As strong as my nostalgia for the Springfield name is, one of McNamara's (few) good moves as SecDef was destroying the institutional influence that Springfield Armory represented. Ordnance's criminal behavior in their attempts to sabotage the AR-15 adoption likely cost the lives of hundreds of American soldiers in Vietnam and was never prosecuted as harshly as their actions should have warranted. I am convinced that Ordnance's negligence in small arms development and procurement, though probably not rising to the level of criminality outside the AR-15 saga, cost the United States tens of thousands of dead and wounded American soldiers from the Mexican War to Vietnam. Among a variety of other factors was Ordnance's continual focus on intentionally limiting the ability of American infantrymen to actually shoot at the enemy.

marathag

Banned
I am a little bit curious about Humvee alternatives. Other western countries use nothing like it. And those countries that do use it tend to be 3rd world who owe the US something.

It seems unusual that US requirements ended up so out of sync with that of its peers.
HMMWV.jpg

Prototype, based off of 1 ton Dodge Pickup
generaldynamicsprototype4.jpg

General Dynamics
$_57.JPG

Teledyne

I am a little bit curious about Humvee alternatives. Other western countries use nothing like it.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "nothing like it," because the wikipedia article lists a whole bunch of "similar" vehicles that are used by countries like France, Switzerland, and Australia, and in general the idea of a largish off-road capable light truck seems pretty universal. Could you clarify?

marathag

Banned
I guess it depends on what you mean by "nothing like it," because the wikipedia article lists a whole bunch of "similar" vehicles that are used by countries like France, Switzerland, and Australia, and in general the idea of a largish off-road capable light truck seems pretty universal. Could you clarify?

Here' is what the Hummer replaced.
M715 from Jeep
640px-M715_Jeep.jpg
640px-Dodge_W_200_-_Flickr_-_Joost_J._Bakker_IJmuiden.jpg
M880 from Dodge

M1009 from GM, all 1-1/4 Ton
640px-GMC_CD_10516_-_Flickr_-_Joost_J._Bakker_IJmuiden.jpg
640px-AMG_M151_A2_%281978%29_GB_%28owner_Gavin_Broad%29.JPG
Plus the M151 Ford Mutt, taking the place of the M38 Jeep. 1/4 ton

All had issues in service. Only the GM was a Diesel

Humvee replaced all of them, and while being more capable than the old ones, better off road performance from portal axles and Tire Inflation System, had a higher payload while keeping high on-road speeds, and not as tall.

So, not really like a Unimog or Bremach than the 'Light Utility Vehicle' the Humvee was originally rated as. Problem was with the Humvee is that the Army didn't really have a heavier Vehicle to go to, and tried to make the Humvee do everything, and doubling the weight with armor and guns. That was not a good plan

ATL Enfield P17 was widely regarded as the best of the Lee-Enfield rifles.
References: Gun Jesus (aka Ian McCollum at www.forgottenweapons.com) and my dad Major Edson Warner who won 5 Queen’s Medals, shot for Canada twice at the Olympics and at Bisely more times than we can count!

marathag

Banned
Humber is wider than many goat tracks in Afghanistan.

There was a vehicle design for those conditions

The Gama Goat
25-Gama-Goat-first-prototyp.jpg

All wheel Drive, articulated

But is was a very bad implementation.

Expensive, slow, noisy(almost 100dB), unreliable, maintenance hog,weird handling quirks and one of the last things in the Military with a manual transmission, it was not a popular ride, and was phased out for the Dodge and GM pickups starting in the late '70s.

The Hummer is a great example of a project that got out of hand. I knew an engineer that worked on a competitor for that project. It started off as basically Jeep 2. The original ideas was cheap easy transport to replace the Jeep without various Jeep issues an example of which is that the old army Jeep was a bit high center of gravity. And was not great for transporting more the 2.
Somehow the project experienced huge amounts of creep and became the all signing and all dancing Hummer that is frankly HUGE. But it could have been worse. I remember the family friend having a FIT one day when some genius involved with the project suggested basically making the stupid thing amphibious and his boss told him they would need a prop drive system like the duplex drives of WW2. Eventually that was tossed out the window.
So we got a super sized Jeep that is the ultimate Jake of all trades m aster of non that costs a LOT more then is probably justified. Then because it is so large and used in so many roles including directly in combat we now have folks bitching that it is not armored. Well if you want armor get a tank or an armored troop transport. Not a vehicle designed to be cheep and dirty.
So in many ways the Hummer is the poster child for out of control projects that somehow managed to in the end be not to bad. But that could have been better and cheaper if the project didn’t snowball. The Bradley itself is another example of this. But this has happened many times before and will surely continue to happen in the future.
Aircraft have this happen to them a lot. The various Douglas Navy aircraft designed during WW2 (dive bombers and torpedo bombers) are great examples of this. They added so many bells and whistles that it basically killed the project. But many other examples exist.