WIP Map Thread

Naughty me has been slacking on MOTF, but here's one of the procrastinations I've been working on instead!

Atlwakiadivisionspreview.png

Deleted member 108228

Eastasian Union2.png

Eurasia has attacked Military Banners 1 and 2. They are planning to continue their war doctrine with Oceania. I repeat, Eurasia has attacked Military Banners 1 and 2, Banners A-Z begin formations in Gobi Province. PROTECT our nation at all costs from the two hordes. Long live our people! Long live Eastasia! Long live the Heavenly One!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aephlera_35p.png

Work continues on Aephlera. I now have most of the eastern continents done outside of the polar regions and will be drawing in the continents of the Western hemisphere next. If this continues, I may make a map thread for this, similar to Tellurus (which Aephlera is inspired from).

How did your continents get such large lakes, are they really mountainous/very geologically active?

I'll have to figure that one out. The map I'm tracing off is actually generated from a SimEarth game and I'm slowly recreating it to add a lot more detail as the original depiction is really pixelated, due to the game's age (released in 1990). The continents on the original game map were quite intricate and 'noisy' looking and I'm trying to be faithful to the original design whilst adding smaller details in to create a realistic world. The result is complex labyrinthine continents with a ton of super-lakes and intercontinental seas... if I continue this project enough to consider tectonic plates and such, I reckon there's gonna be a lot of small fragments involved. Either that, or Aephlera might be a less realistic, more fantasy themed place - but I will try to avoid that easy way out if I can, we'll see.

I'll have to figure that one out. The map I'm tracing off is actually generated from a SimEarth game and I'm slowly recreating it to add a lot more detail as the original depiction is really pixelated, due to the game's age (released in 1990). The continents on the original game map were quite intricate and 'noisy' looking and I'm trying to be faithful to the original design whilst adding smaller details in to create a realistic world. The result is complex labyrinthine continents with a ton of super-lakes and intercontinental seas... if I continue this project enough to consider tectonic plates and such, I reckon there's gonna be a lot of small fragments involved. Either that, or Aephlera might be a less realistic, more fantasy themed place - but I will try to avoid that easy way out if I can, we'll see.
Either way, it looks go so far and look forward to the finished map.

A Tale of Two Cities.png

Spent an hour on a little something in my backlog of WIPs.

Speculation and comments welcome.

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
A pair of WIPs this time. The first one is a rework of this map, and will include a rework of the 'Wonkies' that inhabit the planet and their relationship to extraterrestrials. The X is where I'm going to put another fairly large continent, and the outline of dots is going to be the main extent of a Polynesia-type mass of islands. I'm not sure if the amount of chaotic erosion on this islands is realistic, some assistance in understanding erosion would be appreciated actually.

Mars.png

The second WIP I've no idea except its another go at one of my favourite tropes: some kind of Aztlan Union that isn't Texas writ large. I need some help finding a POD and justification for why it exists and why it's so big, tbh. What do you all think is going on? Some other notes:
- Kingdom of Canada? Might have a republican Britain/England, but unsure why.
- Grand Duchy of Alyeska, naturally.
- That's a 'German American Republic' or 'New Hannover' between Aztlan, the US and Canada, probably resulting from a worse 1812 equivalent.
- US is very conservative, possibly anti-European if the confederacy was aided by French(?) agents.
- Independent Confederacy, unfortunately, though likely not as we know it. Might be a nullification rather than a slavery-based secession.
- That little Aztlan puppet is a black republic carved out of the Confederacy. I imagine early in its history Aztlan doesn't like slavery but doesn't like all those Blacks escaping to their lands over the border, so they pull this gimmick.
- Mexico is also an unwilling puppet. Possibly a kingdom so they have an easily pliable ruler.

Blank world map.png

View attachment 406973

more progress being made
Might want to show some autonomous areas in the two Chinas. I imagine they would both need to try and either get good with or clear out the Hui populations of Quinghai, Gansu, and the other areas. Y the way, what is the reasoning behind Bengal getting both Hindu West Bengal and the pagan/Buddhist/Hindu/Christian/Muslim Assam? I believe the mountains can be quite steep at some areas between them. I also think Sikkim would get the protection of Bhutan, Tibet, or Nepal. No reason for the people to revolt here and ask to join India, while I doubt Bengal would want to go so far out of the way. What is the unique color in Portuguese Guinea for?

The second WIP I've no idea except its another go at one of my favourite tropes: some kind of Aztlan Union that isn't Texas writ large. I need some help finding a POD and justification for why it exists and why it's so big, tbh. What do you all think is going on? Some other notes:
- Kingdom of Canada? Might have a republican Britain/England, but unsure why.
- Grand Duchy of Alyeska, naturally.
- That's a 'German American Republic' or 'New Hannover' between Aztlan, the US and Canada, probably resulting from a worse 1812 equivalent.
- US is very conservative, possibly anti-European if the confederacy was aided by French(?) agents.
- Independent Confederacy, unfortunately, though likely not as we know it. Might be a nullification rather than a slavery-based secession.
- That little Aztlan puppet is a black republic carved out of the Confederacy. I imagine early in its history Aztlan doesn't like slavery but doesn't like all those Blacks escaping to their lands over the border, so they pull this gimmick.
- Mexico is also an unwilling puppet. Possibly a kingdom so they have an easily pliable ruler.
That Atzlan probably came about by a collection western state governments gone rouge ala Burr Consipracy or Western separatist movement (there was a lot more Eastern-Western animociety in the early United States, coastal cities vs settlers) uniting with a cadre of rouge generals from northern Mexico, likely with foreign (Russian or British) support. Honestly just spitballing here but that’s about as best I can do right now. It’s a Texas in the sense that almost any state emerging between Mexico City and Washington will inevitably be :p

Might want to show some autonomous areas in the two Chinas. I imagine they would both need to try and either get good with or clear out the Hui populations of Quinghai, Gansu, and the other areas. Y the way, what is the reasoning behind Bengal getting both Hindu West Bengal and the pagan/Buddhist/Hindu/Christian/Muslim Assam? I believe the mountains can be quite steep at some areas between them. I also think Sikkim would get the protection of Bhutan, Tibet, or Nepal. No reason for the people to revolt here and ask to join India, while I doubt Bengal would want to go so far out of the way. What is the unique color in Portuguese Guinea for?

Yeah well gonna work on that As for Bengal different partition and a bit of British meddling Britain didn’t want India to be to powerful and well the proposed Indian jut into Assam wasn’t to attractive so they simply merged the two regions into the multi ethnic Bengal it’s either gonna collapse messily in a decade or two or work out a functioning government. As for Guinea it’s a mistake ignore it

One of those ASB-type "Green Africa and multi-hominid Earth" scenarios:
upload_2018-9-11_21-12-48.png

Homo Sapiens inhabit Africa, the Middle East, and some of Europe and Asia. Neanderthals in Scandinavia, Great Britain, and some of Europe. The rest of Europe is inhabited by Neanderthal-Sapien mixed species. Sapiens are mostly polytheistic, monarchy-based nation-states, while Neanderthals are moreso chiefdoms and feudal societies, oftentimes monotheistic (with the God being a glorified version of the founder-of-the-nation). Sapien language is going to be based on Semitic languages (I'm thinking some gross amalgamation of Coptic, Hebrew, and Arabic), while I'm not terrifically sure on the Neanderthals (maybe Armenian-Georgian-Arabic lovechild?). Because Africa is more Mediterranean climate-wise, Homo sapiens would probably look Semitic or Arabic (I've used photos of Druze to represent the H.S.). I'm not sure how Neanderthals would look (seeing as I can't exactly take a photo of a real one, and it would feel kinda wrong to use real people/ethnic groups to achieve the affect. There will also be some other Homo species, like floresiensis (unsure as to who else. Doesn't help that getting people that could pass as photographs is gonna be a pain in the ass, heh). Wish me luck!

Deleted member 108228

One of those ASB-type "Green Africa and multi-hominid Earth" scenarios:
View attachment 407774
Homo Sapiens inhabit Africa, the Middle East, and some of Europe and Asia. Neanderthals in Scandinavia, Great Britain, and some of Europe. The rest of Europe is inhabited by Neanderthal-Sapien mixed species. Sapiens are mostly polytheistic, monarchy-based nation-states, while Neanderthals are moreso chiefdoms and feudal societies, oftentimes monotheistic (with the God being a glorified version of the founder-of-the-nation). Sapien language is going to be based on Semitic languages (I'm thinking some gross amalgamation of Coptic, Hebrew, and Arabic), while I'm not terrifically sure on the Neanderthals (maybe Armenian-Georgian-Arabic lovechild?). Because Africa is more Mediterranean climate-wise, Homo sapiens would probably look Semitic or Arabic (I've used photos of Druze to represent the H.S.). I'm not sure how Neanderthals would look (seeing as I can't exactly take a photo of a real one, and it would feel kinda wrong to use real people/ethnic groups to achieve the affect. There will also be some other Homo species, like floresiensis (unsure as to who else. Doesn't help that getting people that could pass as photographs is gonna be a pain in the ass, heh). Wish me luck!

I love this idea, never seen anyone go deep into the mapping of multiple human species on a world before

Last edited by a moderator: