Planetocopia Map Thread

How about C )? The Siberian region could be very extreme desert. The only rain looks like it could be a mild monsoon, but that won't make it to Central Asia.

Oh, absolutely. Horse latitudes in the middle of a continent? Pure desert all the way. I didn't say anything because it was 100% right to my estimation.

Greenland is still a plateau here, could get the whole range of Scandinavian climates.

Would it still be a plateau? It has a big depression in the middle under the ice in OTL, but that could easily have been caused by the extensive glaciation. As far as I can tell it's a large shield, but I don't know what, if anything, that implies with regard to elevation.

Oh, absolutely. Horse latitudes in the middle of a continent? Pure desert all the way. I didn't say anything because it was 100% right to my estimation.

Then north of the Urals, we have somewhere like Canada, south of the Urals, we have somewhere like the Gobi. But the coastline, slight monsoon effect, and the warm current will keep the coasts rainy, and there are mountains that will still feed rivers.

Would it still be a plateau? It has a big depression in the middle under the ice in OTL, but that could easily have been caused by the extensive glaciation. As far as I can tell it's a large shield, but I don't know what, if anything, that implies with regard to elevation.

I looked into this for Cassini-World. It seems like it was a plateau surrounded by mountains before the glaciers, then it was depressed under the ice. I think Hudson's Bay is a similar production, but I've decided to minimize glacial effects as much as possible, to instead explore what happens when ice is added to the places around Europe at their OTL altitudes. Another general call for someone to run altitude map through GProjector for this one. I have no idea how much of a project that is by itself, but it would help immensely. Cassini-World changed dramatically after we got a look at the real altitudes and the higher sea levels.

Random observations:

Africa and Middle East- Are gonna be like South America?
North America- Gonna be like Australia. (I could already imagine the East Coast as New South Wales and Newfoundland as Tasmania.)
Asia- Um, I think it's gonna be the center of civilization? After all, it's the least isolated continent in this conworld where most of the other continents look pretty spread apart.

And Africa is also gonna be like Antarctica at the same time.

Last edited:
And Africa is also gonna be like Antarctica at the same time.

-And my Antarctica is gonna be like Africa but smaller and therefore with less desert.
-And Europe is gonna be not that well populated because the south is too cold.
-And South America is gonna be the least changed continent.
-And Australia is climatically gonna be like, Canada, but the south is gonna be like Northern California.
-And I think New Zealand is gonna be like Iceland?

wQ9OpCF.png

@rvbomally , do you have access to GProjector maybe and fulfil my wish of having a WorldA of the "North Pole in Paris" scenario? @eustress ?
Here's "North Pole in Paris" map, shown in Robinson projection, made by GProjector. Sorry for being a bit late, and hope it would help.

NOTE: This map doesn't show the exact altitude. Europe and NZ would be depressed by glacier, and places like Greenland, Canada, Antarctica would rise higher.

edit: Also, depending on the size of the european ice dome, the overall sea level would get higher or lower.(I think it would get a bit higher; europe is smaller than antarctica anyway.)

-snip awesome-

Here's "North Pole in Paris" map, shown in Robinson projection, made by GProjector. Sorry for being a bit late, and hope it would help.

NOTE: This map doesn't show the exact altitude. Europe and NZ would be depressed by glacier, and places like Greenland, Canada, Antarctica would rise higher.

edit: Also, depending on the size of the european ice dome, the overall sea level would get higher or lower.(I think it would get a bit higher; europe is smaller than antarctica anyway.)

It's a secular non-celebratory random fortuitous event!

Fellow, I am indebted unto you.

wQ9OpCF.png

I don't have image software on this computer, so a text update about the polar regions -

The European Cap extends from Paris as far south as Scotland, Morocco, Sicily, Crete, Turkey, Romania, Ukraine, Belarus, Finland, and Scandinavia; with ice freezing to the sea floor in the Bay of Biscay, the north Mediterranean, the Adriatic Sea, the Aegean Sea, the Baltic Sea, and part of the North Sea; and an ice-shelf extending for most of the year across the rest of the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, and much of the north Atlantic.

The connection between the Spanish ice and the Moroccan ice is so extensive that water doesn't flow there, but I think there will be a glacial flow out into the Atlantic. I think the same will be true between Greece and Turkey, but there the Black Sea is not frigid, and is fed by water from all of European Russia, so sometimes water could flow over there, into the Mediterranean. The Dead Sea is now renamed the Glass Sea, because it's deep and clear and often covered in ice. Water flows in through the Jezreel, and out by Aqaba.

In the Sahara, Arabia, and Russia we have tundra, forests, and steppe, not sure where the borders of each goes yet. By the time we get to the southern coast of West Africa, and possibly southern Arabia, Yemen and Oman, it's a pleasant warm temperate verging on subtropical.

Then there was Chad. What will happen to it here? With melt-water from the European cap, and rains from the Atlantic, I think it's as large as it ever was in OTL, where it flows out into the Congo river basin, which would not itself form a lake. The Senegal river will also be strengthened, some rivers will flow through the Sahara to reach it. West Africa might be our 'water superpower' like North America in our world, but with actual ice-cap water flowing into it.

What happens with New Zealand? I'd say that it looks like Antarctica. Then the free floating ice-cap is also there. It might be isolated most years, it might link up with the New Zealand ice, they might scrape against each other, they might do all kinds of things. I still can't get my head around how such a feature would look in real life. Europe having Antarctica-like conditions transitioning to Siberia-like conditions makes much more sense.

>North Pole in Paris
Wow, I like this idea! I love worlds with alternative climatic conditions on Earth. I'm waiting for a worlda blank map based on this idea and hope that it will be ready in the coming months.
I wish the further development of the authors of the project!

What happens with New Zealand? I'd say that it looks like Antarctica. Then the free floating ice-cap is also there. It might be isolated most years, it might link up with the New Zealand ice, they might scrape against each other, they might do all kinds of things. I still can't get my head around how such a feature would look in real life. Europe having Antarctica-like conditions transitioning to Siberia-like conditions makes much more sense.

I don't think so. Despite New Zealand being in antarctic latitudes, it will resemble OTL Greenland or Baffin Island or so more than Antarctica. You will not get a miles-thick ice dome over it, and it would be severely affected by global warming if that ever becomes a problem on this Earth. The true region of Antarctica seems to be (mostly?) ocean, so it will be more like our Arctic - and Europe will be the true Antarctic with miles-thick ice caps and such from Inverness over Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Tirana,... to Sundsvall and Mo i Rana!

Any guesses as to this climate zones here? I put the roof of the world on top of the world (with the north pole roughly centered around Mt. Everest)
kagVxBM.png

kagVxBM

I don't think so. Despite New Zealand being in antarctic latitudes, it will resemble OTL Greenland or Baffin Island or so more than Antarctica. You will not get a miles-thick ice dome over it, and it would be severely affected by global warming if that ever becomes a problem on this Earth. The true region of Antarctica seems to be (mostly?) ocean, so it will be more like our Arctic - and Europe will be the true Antarctic with miles-thick ice caps and such from Inverness over Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Tirana,... to Sundsvall and Mo i Rana!

It seems like the Antarctic circumpolar current keeps the continent cold in real life, here the same currents might keep New Zealand mild. I'll have to take a look at the currents in the Arctic once I get my image software PC up and running again to see how Iceland develops.

The European Cap, and the transition from Antarctic to Siberian conditions in North Africa and Russia, and the hydraulics of a half-frozen Mediterranean, are very interesting.

In real life or on the tilted planet? If you're having trouble calculating distance, this site has a convenient and accurate tool for you to use. If you want to enter latitude and longitude coordinates, use the "upload coordinates" button below the map.

Let's do an example. Say I want the new north pole to be in Paris. I live in Cleveland, Ohio, which is 6304 km from Paris. Dividing by 111 km, we find that my location is 56.8° away from the north pole. Since the north pole is 90°N, and everything is south of the north pole by definition, it's 90-56.8 or 33.2°N on the new planetocopia.

Suppose I want the north pole to be in Alice Springs, Australia. That's 16196 kilometers away from me. 16196/111=145.9. 90-145.9=-55.9. Therefore, my new location would be 55.9° South.
...Wait, how did you come up with that formula? I'm a little confused because someone else did an interpretation of my map where I'm in the mid-40's whereas according to your calculation, I'm at 33 degrees north. (BTW, the green line is supposed to represent 45 degrees north.)
grega94-1866598-albums-maps-pic145450-antarctica-equator.png

Last edited: