On a Tall White Ship (#2)

On a Tall White Ship
(second edition)

England was without rest. The Angles, the Saxons, and the Danes had invaded them one after the other, none relenting in their might. Then came the Normans, brutal conquers lead by a man so cunning that it only seems right to call him the Bastard. When he died he divides his lands amongst his two sons, William and Robert, and left the other with only an inheritance of cash, Henry.

The eldest, William II, would die unexpectedly, leaving the throne empty. With Robert on crusade, Henry quickly secured his brother’s land. With England in hand, Henry looked jealously at Robert’s Duchy of Normandy, and succeeded in prying it away from Robert’s grasp.

With all of his father’s inheritance, Henry settled down to rule England and Normandy. England for the first time in a long while was at peace. But like many other peaces, it would only last until his death.

In 1120 his only legitimate heir, a man also named William, died while traveling aboard a ship. He would die bravely attempting to save his illegitimate half-sister. Isabella, his wife, would go on to become a nun.

Henry, without an heir, turned the nobles of Normandy and England and made them promise to submit to his only other legitimate child, a girl named Maud. Maud, the former Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, however was betrayed by the nobles, again bringing war. Rather than be ruled by a woman, the nobles turned to Stephen of Blois.

War erupted between the two, with each jockeying for position. Maud married Geoffrey of Anjou, known as the Plantagenet or the Handsome, who himself was ruling over the counties of Maine and Anjou. They swiftly conquered Normandy, though neither Maud nor Stephen could contend with the anarchy of England. Stephen and Maud growing weary came to a compromise which left Stephen on the throne, but made her son the heir to the throne.

They turned the reigns over to Henry II, one of England’s, nay Europe’s, greatest kings! Henry’s assumption of the Kingdom would mark the start in the next sage of England’s turbulent history, the Plantagenet Dynasty!

However England could have had an heir that didn’t have to struggle for his throne. Instead of Stephen of Blois, or Henry II, they could have had a William III. A Norman, yes, but a Norman that could claim his throne in peace!

I give you that world! A world without the White Ship Diaster!

This should be interesting. No Angevin Empire being one of the most obvious side-effects, presumably.

First things first, Lets deal with the dynasties that have been immediately changed. Gregory of Anjou will not be married to Matilda, no matter how tempting it may be. First off his sister is married to her brother, which means that there aren't enough degrees of separation to get papal dispensation. Also, through William’s wife, Henry I already has ties to Anjou, and would likely try to marry Matilda off to someone that he can use for political leverage, like he had done in her first marriage to a Holy Roman Emperor. If she is married at all it would be for political expedience. The temptation of ignoring this is great though. The Anjou-Aquitaine marriage was so huge, as was the personality of Henry II, and his sons. To add those actors to my cast list is a tough choice to turn down.

This leaves the Plantagenet free for marriage. Last time I did this I left that vague, but there are possibilities for a count with so much power at so young an age. This marriage can be put off for a while I think.

Stephan of Blois’s son, Eustace, probably survives without the war in England, living to claim his full titles of the Count of Mortian and Boulogne. He may even marry and have an heir to succeed him to his titles.

William III of England children will likely be genetic brothers of Henry II of OTL. After all their mother and father came from the same families they had in OTL. The biggest difference between the two is that Henry II grew up in a French country, which led him to Frankifing the English Court. I think without this that you’ll see an English Culture equivalent to Henry, or his brothers in appearance, and maybe even in personality.

William himself continues in his role as the King’s designate in Normandy. I think he’d try and expand the Norman Duchy, especially if within the same lifetime as the weak Louis VII, who was a lousy military commander. Louis also had managed to get himself in political trouble with his vassals, allowing William to exploit potential alliances against him.

Meanwhile the vicious editing continues. Let your minds feast on this bit of information till next time.

Why just save one heir to be?

Phillip of France, son of Louis VI, became joint king of France in 1129
at the young age of 12. At first he was a joy to his father, but quickly became a pain. He was prideful and arrogant, perhaps because of the young age in which he took power. However at the age of 15 the young kind was scared out of his whit by an accident that nearly cost him his life. For the rest of his life, the young Phillip would walk with a limp.

Phillip was immediately humbled, and found himself becoming more and more devout to God and the Church. He fancied himself with dreams of going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, and seeing the Tomb of the Christ. As he grew older he grew close to his brother, most of who had gone into serving the church.

In 1137 Louis VI (55) died, and Phillip took to the throne alone at the age of 21. In response to his coronation he took a wife, Yvette of Jerusalem, the youngest daughter of King Baldwin II. He would wed here at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, thus fulfilling his goal to see the Christ's tomb.

This should be interesting. No Angevin Empire being one of the most obvious side-effects, presumably.
They have Normandy, but not Anjou. A cadet branch holds Sicily, but I doubt they'll aquire Aquitaine. One of my goals isto muddle French unity, and German disunity. Change the players, and I feel it becomes highly achievable.

Thats right, and with this step we take a different direction. One that is worse for France, and better for the crusaders.

Looks good.

As for who Plantagenent would marry, since Anjou and Normandy were traditional enemies he might go with a wife who could net him support against Normandy. The obvious candidates would be someone from Brittany (Normandy's other traditional enemy), Scotland (England's traditional enemy), or Champagne (The major Frankish territory a this time, ruled over by Stephen's family).

Not quite true there, jmberry. William III is already married to Isabella of Anjou, sister of the orginal plantegenat. Henry I liked Gregory at first, and much of their disagreements came at his forced marriage to Maud. I doubt he does anything here to draw England's ire.

The Other Norman

William Clito, the nephew of Henry I, was a thorn in his uncle’s side. In 1118, he had been the lightning rod that sparked a rebellion in Normandy. The Barons in Normandy, as well as Baldwin VII of Flanders, his cousin, and Louis VI of France, rallied behind him seizing most of the Norman Duchy. France and the coalition would be soundly defeated by Henry I and soon after the rebellion collapsed. However the rebellion convinced the France court of William Clito’s usefulness.

Louis VI of France championed William Clito and arranged for him to be married to Johanna of Montferrat, daughter of Renier I of Montferrat and Gisela of Burgundy, and thus half-sister of the French queen. Louis asserted his right to settle the succession to the vacant fief of Flanders following the death of Charles the Good of Flanders in 1127, whom did not leave a direct heir.
William had some claim on the county, being the grandson of Matilda of Flanders and thus a great-grandson of Baldwin V of Flanders. And thus William Clito became the ruler of Flanders, though it was greatly contested. Henry I would take away wool need to run Flanders industry thus sending the county into civil war, with Thierry of Alsace leading the other side.

Last edited: