Mortar shells over Downing St

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_IRA_campaign_1969%E2%80%931997#Early_1990s said:
During this period, the IRA also established a highly damaging economic bombing campaign against the British mainland, particularly London, and other major British cities, which caused a huge amount of physical and economic damage to property. Among their targets were the City of London, Bishopsgate and Baltic Exchange in London. There was also a propaganda boost for the Republicans when three mortar rounds flew over the British Prime minister's office in Downing Street in London during a Cabinet meeting in February 1991.

WI those rounds had hit No 10 and killed John Major?

Massive public reaction. Think something along the lines of what happened after the death of Mountbatten, but much more widespread. Also, there is a much wider appreciation of what terrorists can do.

You mention this happening during a cabinet meeting. Who else is killed or injured? If it gets Major, I can see most of the cabinet dead or injured/incapacitated. Who takes over? This probably precipitates a leadership crisis. Maybe Labour try's for a vote of No confidence in the government, on the grounds that it failed to even protect itself.

Also, this is the second assasination of a British PM ever. Also, the last in over 150 years, I think. So the shock will be immense. Probably much more than the US suffers when a president is killed. Maybe something equivilent to when JFK was killed. (Every Briton remembers where he or she was at the time.)

I know this is ASB, but would the UK be open to candidates from Commonwealth countries to fill in the spot? If so, then Canada would have Kim Campbell or Jean Charest waiting, or even the "Young Turks" John Herron, André Bachand, Scott Brison and Peter MacKay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Campbell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Charest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Herron_(New_Brunswick_politician)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Bachand_(Progressive_Conservative_MP)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Brison
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_MacKay

I think that Thatcher would come back and would call and win an election. I think that at the following election- 1996- there would be a really clear rejection of Thatcherism.

MAJOR crackdown on the IRA with some more infantry divisions sent to Ulster being quite possible.

IMO there was very little more the British could do against the IRA. British anti-terror laws were draconian well before 9/11 precisely to combat the IRA.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Terrorism_Acts

They had previously tried internment and realised it was counter-productive. IMO more infantry on the streets would have had no effect at all.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the IRA but the British were already doing everything they could do against them.

What might have happened is that revulsion in the USA might have cut down the IRA's funding for a few years, but I doubt that would have had much effect either given the stockpiles they already had.

Last edited:

MrP

Banned
You mention this happening during a cabinet meeting. Who else is killed or injured? If it gets Major, I can see most of the cabinet dead or injured/incapacitated. Who takes over? This probably precipitates a leadership crisis. Maybe Labour try's for a vote of No confidence in the government, on the grounds that it failed to even protect itself.

I'd be rather amazed if Labour tried for a vote of no confidence. The standard political response in times of threat to the government is for all the parties to band together. If they didn't unite in defiance of the threat, they might seem to be making political capital out of a national disaster. The standard line for politicians at such times is, "Now is not the time for party politics." They might well exploit the security failures later, but not at the time.

MrP

Banned
Who becomes Prime Minister? Norman Lamont? :eek:

I can't tell whether you're more worried by the prospect of that particular man, or if it's a racial memory of some other Normans. ;)

I've PM'd Kit to see if he knows who'll succeed in the interim.

That'd be political suicide for Labour, its akin to saying "Its your own fault your dead! No sympathy from me, oh no, not from me.....!!!!". You'd probably see a lot of public sympathy for Major and the other dead cabinet ministers. Actually I think this would help the Tories though.

After Thatcher, this really would help shed the Tories of the nasty party image. A major terrorist attack can do that. If whoever took over from Major called an election, it would be a case of another large Tory majority and less likelehood of a Labour win in 96/97.

That'd be political suicide for Labour, its akin to saying "Its your own fault your dead! No sympathy from me, oh no, not from me.....!!!!". You'd probably see a lot of public sympathy for Major and the other dead cabinet ministers. Actually I think this would help the Tories though.

After Thatcher, this really would help shed the Tories of the nasty party image. A major terrorist attack can do that. If whoever took over from Major called an election, it would be a case of another large Tory majority and less likelehood of a Labour win in 96/97.

I agree, it would be like Goldwater trying to blame the Democrats for Kennedy's death and making it a big issue for 1964. Even solid Republican areas might go Democrat after that.

Who becomes Prime Minister? Norman Lamont? :eek:

It depends whether all the Cabinet were present at the meeting in question. Let's say that the Home Secretary wasn't there. I would assume that he would then become PM as the most senior member of the government still alive. Unlike the US the Brits don't have a Prime Ministerial line of succession

Who becomes Prime Minister?

You can't be specific without knowing who else would die in this scenario - if the cabinet room is struck then it's surely not just going to take out Major - a sort of reverse Hitler scenario - but others as well.

I don't see anyone being the obvious choice to succeed Major in 1991. When you look at the names in the cabinet at that time, they were all reasonably 'fresh' and had generally only served as mid-level or junior ministers during the Thatcher years; the really big figures - Hurd and Heseltine, who had previously challeneged Major for the leadership - would probably be ruled out in this scenario; Heseltine as too unpopular and divisive with the party and Hurd as too 'wet', certainly for a moment of crisis. It could concievably have been just about anyone. If Major just dropped down dead then I'd probably say Heseltine, but in this sort of scenario where people would be more uncertain and desiring of a 'unity' figure, he's probably ruled out.

MrP

Banned
Got a reply from Kit.

MrP said:
You understand this politics stuff, old boy. If Major and his cabinet had been blown up by the IRA, who's the next PM? Or the intermediate PM until the Tories can organise an internal election?

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussi...=1#post1250615

Kit said:
Well in theory the Queen can ask anybody from either the Lords or the Commons to form a government. By convention she picks the leader of the largest party.

If Major, and the cabinet, had been killed, the Tories would (I think) not have been the largest party any more since their majority was very small. This takes us into highly theoretical constitutional terrirory.

In practice, I think it would have been likely that the Tory back benchers would have elected a new Parliamentary leader within a day and that new leader would have been immediately asked to either form a new 'national' government with representatives from all the parties, or a temporary minority government with the other parties agreeing not to cause trouble. But in either case a General Election would have been announced as soon as possible.

MrP said:
Cheers, old boy.

Mind if I repost this in the thread? - with thy name, naturally!

Kit said:
No problem.

One caveat is on the process to do with the Tory backbenchers electing a replacement. How they go about that would depend on the Tory party rule book at the time (their procedures have changed radically since then so it's no good looking at the current rule book).

The Tories still had a solid majority at this point, even factoring in cabinet loses (which would probably have been filled with new Tory members pretty quickly through by-elections anyway.) - we're talking about the 1987 parliament, not post-1992. I don't really see any need for an immediate general election at all, nor a 'national' government. We've had substantial terrorist atrocities before and on the whole we've just sailed on as normal for the most part, electorally/politically speaking.

The Tories still had a solid majority at this point, even factoring in cabinet loses (which would probably have been filled with new Tory members pretty quickly through by-elections anyway.) - we're talking about the 1987 parliament, not post-1992. I don't really see any need for an immediate general election at all, nor a 'national' government. We've had substantial terrorist atrocities before and on the whole we've just sailed on as normal for the most part, electorally/politically speaking.

There would be no 'need' for a General election however the right wing tory who would undoubtedly take office would likely call one as early as they could get away with it.

There would be no 'need' for a General election however the right wing tory who would undoubtedly take office would likely call one as early as they could get away with it.

I agree. And they would have constitutional neccessity to back them up - an election would have to come before June 1992, and parliaments traditionally do run for four years, on the whole, unless the PM wants to string things out.

What about Thatcher as a caretaker prime minister in that short term?
After all Thatcher has the experience etc?
Or is that idea too unlikely?

What about Thatcher as a caretaker prime minister in that short term?

No way, IMO. The Tories aren't going to go back to Thatcher only a few months after expelling her from office, even in an emergency capacity. Thatcher is still a liability here and has all the problems that caused her to go in the first place. There's just too much baggage.

Also, there's no chance Thatcher would want to be a 'caretaker' anything. They only just managed to prise loose her grip of the doorframe of Number 10 when they chucked her out.