Dole wins 1996 election; runs again and wins in 2000

I just had an interesting thought and wanted to see what all of you thought.

What if Bob Dole beat Clinton in the 1996 election and then ran again, for whatever reason, and wins in 2000? This obviously would mean that his term would end in 2004. How would September 11th be handled? What about the War on Terror? You get the idea.:D

If Dole had won in 1996 and been re-elected in 2000 as outlined here, I don't think the 9/11 attack would have happened. The terrorists would have known what President Dole was like and how he would have responded to such an attack.

President George W. Bush was something of an unknown to the terrorists in OTL, and they grossly underestimated him. Had the terrorists in OTL known what President Bush was like and known that he would respond by attacking them in Afganistan the way he did, they might not have carried out the 9/11 attacks.

By the way, I voted for Bob Dole in 1996. I just felt that as we moved into the 21st Century and into a new millenium, I just felt we needed one more president from the generation that grew up during The Great Depression and came of age in WWII. I think Dole would have given us a stability and common sense that we needed.

I don't think a different president wuld have mattered. The plan was in motin before they knew wh the president was. Or?

I don't think a different president wuld have mattered. The plan was in motin before they knew wh the president was. Or?

Thats quite true. The planning process started in 1998 or earlier, based on TV docs I've seen and articles I've read. I honestly don't think that the decision would have altered whoever was POTUS

What was Dole "like"? Party doesn't matter, since he and Dubya are both republicans. More warlike? More sane? More competent?

How the hell is Dole supposed to beat Clinton? My understanding is that the Republicans knew Clinton was unbeatable in 1996 and ran Dole more as a gesture of respect for one of their elder statesman who was about to retire than as a serious candidate.

Xen

Banned
Great I just got a vision of Al Gore running against Dole, it would be dubbed "Election 2000": America finds a cure for insomnia.

I agree that Dole was much weaker politically than was Clinton. Had the Republican Party considered the 1996 election winnable, then some stronger candidate such as Bush the Younger or Rumsfeld would have run. The only possible way I could see Dole winning was that Clinton is caught in some outrageous scandal shortly before the election (and neither resigns nor is murdered by his wife - in those cases, I think Gore would still receive the votes! :D )

Dole would probably have been a competent President in 1997, but I doubt that he would have run for re-election - the job is just too strenuous, and he was showing his age long before the election campaign. If the Dole economy was well managed, however, we might have seen Jack Kemp elected President in 2000!

Dole on terror? My first guess is that he would have gone military in the same way as has Bush the Younger. Given the response of the terrorists, this could have developed into an earlier "hot" War on Terror, including possible actions in the Middle East and in South Asia. Might be interesting to speculate on an action against Iran rather than Iraq.

In this timeline, Dole probably never makes the "little blue pill" commericials. :D

I disagree, would this have happened under Reagan? I don't think so, so much. I think that they might have bided thier time, due to the fact that the government at the time wasn't likely at all to tolerate any of this type of behavior, and would absolutely, whether right or wrong, retaliate very vigorously.

I disagree, would this have happened under Reagan? I don't think so, so much. I think that they might have bided thier time, due to the fact that the government at the time wasn't likely at all to tolerate any of this type of behavior, and would absolutely, whether right or wrong, retaliate very vigorously.

Under Reagan, the Islamists were busy elsewhere, and there were a lot fewer of them.

HueyLong

Banned
The thing about terrorism is that they usually don't care about how big the offensive reaction is- the president won't really matter in whether or not it happens. The emotional reaction is their big resource.

They are hard to hit back at, anyways. A conventional military standpoint isn't a big scare to them.