1850: A worse timeline

This timeline was first conceived after watching Antique Roadshow (I know, I know haha) and seeing a lithograph of the debate on California's status of being a slave state or not. Ultimately in OTL a concession was reached and admitted California into the Union as a non-slave state at the expense of tighter fugitive slave laws. My idea is that if the debates collapsed and tensions boiled over, we could see a rather different Civil War. I also feature a slightly more rough number of concessions for Mexico. Namely America taking Baja California as a territory, and Mexico giving independence to The Republic of Rio Grande and the Republic of Yucatan. This is partially to help make the slave debate even more vitriolic (more territories to debate over) and also because I previously debated over starting a Mexican-American War TL in which America takes major parts of Mexico. So I just integrated it.

So yeah, it is kinda a Mexiscrew TL. However I don't think this will end up as an Ameriwank as America will be screwed in terms of ethics, morality, and ultimately diplomatic relations.

I do plan on continuing my other TL regarding Ikki Kita, but this caught my attention and I want to start work on it. So don't get down if you've been enjoying that TL, I will return to it soon!

Anyway, let's begin:

Prologue: A worse timeline

Prologue 1: The woes of Mexico
640px-Battle_of_Churubusco2.jpg

A lithograph celebrating the American victory at Battle of Churubusco.

The war between Mexico and America was brief and bloody affair. The war was started largely over Sam Houston's Texas declaring independence from Mexico and the war that followed. Although that was a barely accepted reason even during the conflict. The war's real purpose was a combination of three things.

Firstly was Continentalism, or Manifest Destiny. The idea that America's borders should extend to the Pacific ocean and beyond. That the American man must tame the wilderness of the West. The idea is fairly similar to the White man's burden which would manifest in the late 1800's with the colonization of Africa. Regardless if it was born our of pure racism or if it was a well meaning attempt to bring "light" to the world is anyone's guess, but Manifest Destiny would prove to be a divisive issue in American politics. Democrats nearly unanimously supported this idea whereas those against the Democrats (Whigs, abolitionists, and so on) were in firm opposition.

Therefore it is not surprising in the least to learn that the Mexican-American war was a controversial one. The President at the time, President Polk was a Democrat and was a fan of Manifest Destiny. The Democratic administration pushed for war with Mexico and also pushed for a harsh treaty with Mexico. In fact, at one time, Polk even considered the ideas of the "All-Mexican Movement" which supported the total annexation of Mexico. The largest opposing group was the Whigs, who were outraged by the war. A popular Whig, Ulysses S. Grant would later state: "...I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation..." Even after objections for abolitionists and Whigs, the war would end up being fought primarily by volunteers in a strange sort of Imperialism that a country like America had never engaged in.

The second reason was grounded primarily in border conflicts and concern of another strong nation bordering America. Mexico was prone to incredible disunity and infighting in its early days, but American politicians of what Mexico could become. Furthermore, Mexico was mostly pro-British in its policy due to the whole Emperor Maximilian business nearly 40 years ago. The general fear was that if Mexico could become strong, the British would force America into a two front war, one in the West against Mexico, and one in the North against the British provinces of Canada. This was not widely discussed but it helped provide a "greasing element" on the American war machine that helped entrench the idea of inevitable war with Mexico.

Finally was Texas. Make no mistake, Texas was certainly a justification method for war with Mexico, but it had its basis in reality. Texas was a mostly Anglo state that wanted to gain independence from Mexico. Some politicians saw Texas as a "little America" while other saw it as a good buffer in between Mexico. Regardless which was the prevailing sentiment, ultimately America assisted in the Texan debacle. Texas would later be admitted into the Union with breakneck speed and would remove any benefit Texas had as a buffer state once Texas entered the Union.

And so, war between America and Mexico started in 1846 and would end in 1848. The war would end with America on top of Mexico and Mexico signing the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

Prologue 2: The great American fistfight
MSD1wcM.png

A map of America following the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

As mentioned before, the Mexican-American war was highly opposed by Whigs and abolitionists. So, it was no surprise when Whigs and abolitionists opposed the harsh treaty that followed the war. The treaty acquired the territories of Nuevo México, Alta California, and Baja California. All inhabitants were offered American citizenship and most took the offer, realizing that things would be better under the Americans, rather than Mexico. The majority of the population was Native American however, and they did not accept Mexican OR American authority. This led to numerous conflicts with Natives in the Western United States. In the end, these natives would be placed on reservations and would poof away into the mists of time.

Furthermore, it also gave independence to the Republic of Rio Grande and the Republic of Yucatan. Despite the obvious negatives, many Democrat and Democrat apologists in the future would claim that letting Rio Grande and Yucatan go their own way actually helped Mexico. Rio Grande and Yucatan were both very rebellious areas of Mexico that Mexico was forced to dump a great deal of money to keep under their control. In fact, both of these nations previously declared independence from Mexico and forced the Mexican army to put down their revolts. Yucatan was of little worth and Rio Grande was of a bit more worth, but ultimately, both areas would be more trouble then they were worth. Naturally, this was not the way American politicians thought. Rio Grande was to be integrated into the US as a new state and Yucatan was to remain a territory until a good use was thought up. It would make a nice bargaining chip in the future regardless.

Outside of simple objections, there was a major problem brewing within the American government. The slavery debate had laid mostly dormant although the acquisition of new territory had suddenly forced the issue back into the spotlight. The Missouri Compromise had settled the issue by separating America down the 36°30′ north parallel. All states north of the parallel were to be non-slave states, and all south were to be slave states. The Californian territory was in both of these sections, with the parallel running through the middle of the state. If the state was admitted as a non-slave state, it would give non-slave states a senate majority, and it was a slave state, it would give slave states a majority.

Some more logical minds suggested simply splitting New Mexican, and Californian territories based on the parallel. However this was never even considered by either side. The fact was that both the Whigs and the Democrats wanted to get a leg up on the other. Then, Democrats suggested the idea of elections to decide status of slavery in new territories. This, in combination with the discovery of gold wet the appetites of many southerners who dreamed of vast gold slave mines in which they would get rich not off cotton - but gold.

This debate would not end in during Polk's presidency and quickly became the major issue of the upcoming 1848 Presidential election. The Democrats rallied around popular sovereignty, while the Whigs focused on compromise, and the Free Soil Party desired for all new territories to be made free states.

Prologue 3: Taylor's game
368px-Zachary_Taylor_by_Joseph_Henry_Bush%2C_c1848.jpg

Zachary Taylor, the most important man in the 1848 election

Despite what many historical textbooks will have you believe, Taylor was by no means an ideological individual. He had very few opinions on politics and had never even voted in an election. In any other situation, Taylor would have simply retired from the military and that would be the end of him. However, Zachary Taylor was a successful war hero in a recent war. It didn't matter what he thought, just that he ran for whichever party courted him. In the period before the 1848 election, both the Democrats and Whigs courted him in an attempt to draw votes from the American public who were still fresh from the fever of war. They wanted to fly the flag as high as they could, and sing songs in her praises. Both the Whigs and the Democrats understood this. The Whigs needed him to prevent the much more popular Democrats from winning and the Democrats were well aware (and afraid) of the Whigs and the Free Soil Party. It was the personal belief of a number of high level Democratic politicians that the Whigs and the Free Soil Party were going to band together and completely trounce the Democrats in the upcoming election. This might not have been the case, but this was what they thought.

In the end, the Democrats succeeded in stealing Taylor away from the Whigs.

That year, the Democrats ran Zachary Taylor and Lewis Cass on a mostly moderate ticket. The Democrats were aware that the concept of popular sovereignty only appealed to so many, and that the abolitionists had grown in popularity. So the pro-slavery rhetoric was calmed to a degree, and the success of the Mexican-American War was focused on. The Whigs ran Winfield Scott and Millard Fillmore. They focused mostly on trying to draw Democratic moderates to the Whigs and also maintaining popularity among the Whig's party base. The Free Soil Party ran Martin Van Buren and Charles Francis Adams. They focused more on radical abolitionism and trying to take as many votes away from the Democrats as they could.

In the end, this is what came of the 1848 Presidential election:

hObpLGf.png

---------------

I'm sure I've screwed SOMETHING up. Especially this late, and especially when constructing an infobox. If I got anything wrong, well, I can fix it. I'm certain that some of my math is off on the infobox.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy so far. I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'm going to sleep now (thank god)

I normally dislike Mexiscrews... but since the USA is gonna get screwed over too, I guess it's ok. Like a Karmic "Everyone loses" scenario. in which case, I suggest you something:

- The United States would may offer the Hispanics and Natives citizenship, but that is more than likely just gonna be in paper, with them being treated like garbage, akin to black people in Jim Crow South. Speaking of which...

- To show the depths of how rotten the Ante-bellum South was... Two words: Latino slavery. The southrons see no human being except the "pure free white race" as worthyof rights, so it's likely they'll see the Mexicans as mere "half-indians savages" who must be taught "proper manners", which is the way they can legitimize enslaving them.

Anyways, that's all. I'd love to see the flames ignite from this royal powder cake the uS just got itself onto.

I normally dislike Mexiscrews... but since the USA is gonna get screwed over too, I guess it's ok. Like a Karmic "Everyone loses" scenario. in which case, I suggest you something:

- The United States would may offer the Hispanics and Natives citizenship, but that is more than likely just gonna be in paper, with them being treated like garbage, akin to black people in Jim Crow South. Speaking of which...

- To show the depths of how rotten the Ante-bellum South was... Two words: Latino slavery. The southrons see no human being except the "pure free white race" as worthyof rights, so it's likely they'll see the Mexicans as mere "half-indians savages" who must be taught "proper manners", which is the way they can legitimize enslaving them.

Anyways, that's all. I'd love to see the flames ignite from this royal powder cake the uS just got itself onto.

As for the whole Mexicans getting US Citizenship, that actually what happened. The Mexicans who lived in the territories of acquired after the Mexican-American war were given a choice of getting US Citizenship or going back to Mexico. Mexicans didn't really do the whole colonizing thing to well so America didn't really even mind having a few Mexicans around. They were useful in preventing Natives from fully taking over the new territories. If they sent the Mexicans home they'd have to rebuild settlements and whatnot. It was more of a pragmatic decision rather than a nice political choice. There were probably more Native Americans in those territories than Mexicans.

As far as I understand, that didn't extend to Natives. Native Indians were typically not given Citizenship even if they were born off the reservation. US Law regarding that was interpreted that Natives weren't Citizens, or at least that they didn't have the rights of them. It wasn't until the Indian Citizenship Act of 1924, that citizenship was extended to them.

But yeah, you're right. Pretty much just an on paper thing for a while.

As for Latino slavery, I feel that it's inevitable if the US wants to expand anywhere in the Americas. At this point in time the British were scouring the high seas for slave ships and were going full bore to end the trade entirely. If Americans wanted to start importing slaves again, then they'd likely end up in a war with the Brits. Which could be fun, although it's not something I'm planning right now. So we'll have to cross that bridge and have that discussion when time calls for such a thing.

Is the Gadsden Purchase still a go a few years down the road? Would still need the flatter land of the Sonoran Desert south of the Gila River for the railroad to link New Orleans to Texas to the Pacific in So Cal.

Will be interesting to see Taylor as a Democrat and Cass. Will you still kill off Taylor and have Cass be POTUS?

If Dems win in 1848, Whigs may win 1852. Or if Dems win 1848 and 1852, the new Republican party may win in 1856.

Is the Gadsden Purchase still a go a few years down the road? Would still need the flatter land of the Sonoran Desert south of the Gila River for the railroad to link New Orleans to Texas to the Pacific in So Cal.

Will be interesting to see Taylor as a Democrat and Cass. Will you still kill off Taylor and have Cass be POTUS?

If Dems win in 1848, Whigs may win 1852. Or if Dems win 1848 and 1852, the new Republican party may win in 1856.

All in due time.

That being said, if Gadsden dies earlier or if the purchase takes place later on, then the Gadsden purchase might be renamed.

Chapter 1: Breathing room

Chapter 1, Part 1: Render unto Caesar
385px-Lewis_Cass_circa_1855.jpg

Vice President to Zachary Taylor, Lewis Cass. Famous for his Popular Soverignty doctrine which would allow voters in the new territories to choose whether to have slavery or not.

The immediate reaction to the Whig and Free Soil loss was one of severe disappointment. Taylor's moderate platform and the Free Soil Party's vote spoiling ended up letting the Democrats win via both electoral votes, and with popular vote by a considerable margin.

The Free Soil Party managed to grab most of the Whig's primary base in New York and Connecticut. Whereas the Whigs tried (but failed) to get Democratic moderates, as a result, they lost their radical supporters. Without their base, the Whigs lost. Even worse, the Democrats did wonderfully with Taylor's moderate stances and military background. The 1848 presidential election was by far the worst for the Whigs. Not just because they lost, but because they might have lost a major form of support, the abolitionists.

The Abolitionists had almost all found themselves more interested in the Free Soil Party. However, in a strange twist of fate, the party's presidential candidate announced he was no longer running for elections. Martin Van Buren was a former president himself, and after the most recent failed election and a bout with illness, he stepped down and called for a new "head" of the Free Soil Party. It would have to be someone strong, someone who knew how to speak to the lowest and highest parts of society. It would have to be someone who could take up the passion of Martin Van Buren. The final choice was Millard Fillmore, former running mate of Van Buren. He was intended to prevent the Free Soil Party from falling apart, but ultimately he would oversee the downfall and collapse of the party.

After the defeat in the election, Whigs were forced to take a hard look at their own party. A number of members moved over to the Democrats or to the Free Soil Party. The Whigs had tried to appease everyone, but attracted no one. Whigs all over the nation talked among themselves and tried to find a way out of the whole they dug for themselves. The Whigs had become a party of moderates without any real positions on things. It was of absolute importance that the Whigs rediscover themselves before the next elections. If they could not do this, then the Whigs would likely collapse in a fit of madness.

While political restructuring was all well and good, the Democrats had a mandate. They had a majority in Congress, the Senate, Governors, sympathy of Supreme Court Judges, and of course, the President. The only thing that prevented the Democrats going hog-wild was President Taylor's politically neutral stance. He didn't care much for politics. Beyond this, the Democrats could do whatever they desired. This was the first time in American history that the Democrats had a solid national mandate and they looked to use and abuse the privilege as much as possible.

Chapter 1, Part 2: The first term of President Zachary Taylor
inzNKD9.png

The United States after Zachary Taylor's reorganization of Western territories.

Upon first taking the White house, Zachary Taylor gave a rather rousing speech to a large crowd on the White House's front lawn. He spoke of moderation and helping the nation stay afloat in the tough and rough times that were ripe for political radicalism. He spoke down to, and disparaged radical abolitionists whom he called "radical nuts of the worst sort." Beyond this, he also hinted towards more conquests across the globe. This was well received after the incredible victory against the Mexicans.

Beyond Zachary's speech, the Democratic party prepared for an all out assault of laws and new acts.

The most important of these was the Popular Sovereignty Act. The Popular Sovereignty Act allowed for an election to be held after a territory became a state to decide whether a state would become a slave or a free state. Beyond this, it also guaranteed that all states below the 36°30′ north parallel would become slave states. This act allowed for California to become a state on March 15th, 1850. The elections for California's status of slavery took place in 1851. There was a great deal of fighting on both the sides of abolitionists and pro-slavery radicals. This fighting in California would soon be mirrored all across the nation in the territories that were to become new states. In all of these occasions, the government would choose to support the pro-slavery groups by arresting abolitionists.

The second was the not a law, but a redistribution of the lands of territories. Three new territories were created, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, and South California. Furthermore, a state was added. California joined the Union in 1851 and would later become a slave state by a narrow margin. A number of gold mines popped up all over California looking for gold.

Beyond this, the increasing encroachment upon Indian lands caused a number of wars against them. Most of them are without note and all end with a Union victory.

In the final years of Taylor's first term, the Whigs and Free Soil Party attempted to reconcile their beliefs and come together to fight against the Democrats. This would fail several months before campaigning in the 1852 election began and the two parties went their own way. To no ones surprise, the 1852 election was a total failure by both the Whigs and Free Soilers at the hands of Zachary Taylor.

HN7YyPK.png

Just another failure for the Whigs.

----------------------------
Not too exciting, I know. It sets the ground work for everything coming forward though. Also, I'm very sorry you have to see Lewis Cass' face. The only thing uglier than his face is his views regarding slavery.