A Land of Wine, Pagans, and Blood - A Vinland Survival Time Line.

As the title suggests, this will be a loose TL based on a surviving Norse Colony in North America. The POD will be laid out below in a somewhat plausible manner. The events that follow will try to remain realistic, given our knowledge of the period and the personalities involved. As things progress, events and butterflies will begin to change the world around them. So without further ado...

A Land of Wine, Pagans, and Blood
A Vinland Survival Time Line

By the Bavarian Raven

Part One: New Land​

In the late spring of 985 AD, Erick the Red set out from Greenland with twenty-five ships and around 700 colonists to settle Greenland. With them went livestock, including cattle and horses, sheep and goats, and pigs, along with all the tools and necessities to build a new home in a new, untamed land.

While crossing the narrow strip of ocean between Iceland and Greenland, the sea began to boil and roll, and a great many ships were lost (13-17, or so various historical records tell). The cause of this maelstrom is unknown, lost to history. The most likely source was an underwater volcano erupting, or else an under water earthquake. For the Norse were expert sailors of the northern waters, and the sagas recount this was something far worse than a mere storm or freak wave.

Whatever the cause, the effect was that at least half of the initial colonists were either killed or forced to turn back, their fates also lost to the dustbin of history.

Now let me guide you into a world, a history, where things went slightly different. Where several of those ships lost to the waves were instead veered off course, driven first south by the turbulence and then southwest by a sudden North Atlantic spring storm…

~​

Olaf Thorson lunged with the strength and speed of his lost youth, and managed to grab the unsuspecting gull between his large, calloused hands. With a quick twist, the bird was dead and he quickly slit its flesh, feeding its still warm blood to his wife and his three young sons. The guts he saved to bait hooks with.

It had been three weeks since they had left Iceland, following Erick the Red for Greenland when the maelstrom struck. The Gods had shunned them for some reason, driving them south into the endless sea of worms, and for three weeks their had been no wind. Enough rain had fallen to keep themselves and their starving animals alive, and they had caught just enough fish to supplement their diminishing food reserves. Nevertheless, things were becoming grim.

Worse yet, dark clouds were once more building to the north and east.

Another storm. More bad luck. How did we piss off the Gods?

Maybe it’s those bloody Christians?

Olaf shook his head, slowly walking the length of his ship, listening to the grumbling of passengers and the creaking timbers alike. Six ships had been driven south by the Gods and another six lost to the Sea. May Odin have pity upon them.

Olaf eyed the advancing storm front and grimaced.

He prayed to Odin that he would have the strength to guide the ship and his family to safety. To land. Wherever those lands be, he did not care. He just prayed – demanded – that he see shore once more…

~​

For three days the storms lashed the ships, sending them westwards, driven by both the winds and currents alike. Then, abruptly, the storm ceased on the forth morning and was replaced by a dense fog.

“Tis bad luck,” one old man with a large white beard spoke as Olaf strolled past. “I worry something lurks in the deep.”

“The only thing you have to worry about lurking around is your wife.”

The old man laughed. “Aye. She be a feisty –”

“Land!” a shout came from top of the mast. Olaf looked skywards. A young lad had crawled up the rigging and mast that managed to just protrude just above the fog. “By the Gods grace, I see land!”

“Praise be upon Odin,” the old man smiled, grimacing, as he rose to his feet.

“Praise be upon him indeed.” Olaf grinned. “Men, ready the oars.”

Neither man spoke of the ship that had been lost in the storm or of the thirty or so passengers aboard it.

~​

They sailed past a rocky headland on their southern flank that in another time and place would be known as Cape Breton Island. But these colonists did not realize this was an island. For all they could glimpse through the breaking fog were high, rocky cliffs looming over low, pebbly beaches. Above the cliffs stood tuffs of yellowing grass and beyond that, dark pines and spruces. Gulls cried out as they circled above. Ahead, a small pod of whales crested, exhaled, and then dove.

“I’ve never seen such beautiful land,” Olaf’s wife Thorfinna said as she moved to stand beside her husband.

“Aye, it certainly is a new land. I wonder where we are?”

They sailed on. That evening they entered a small cove off a larger bay that in another time would be known as Aspey Bay, near the northern tip of Cape Breton Island. Here, in the protected tidal marsh that was almost a lake, they beached their ships and unloaded their animals. The poor, half starved beasts feasted on the lush salt grass and lapped at the crystal clean water from the half dozen streams that entered the cove, while the pigs nosed their way across the beach.

Olaf ordered men to stand watch over the animals and others to guard their camp as tents were erected, while yet others were sent out to scout the surrounding land before darkness fell.

Several young lads began to spear salmon in the largest of the streams.

“I do not know where we be,” Thorfinna said, “But I could raise our sons here.”

“Aye, this is a plentiful land.” Olaf nodded. “Look how early it gets dark here, we must have travelled far to the south.”

“Could this be the land of the Franks?”

“No. Too far west we have come. We –”

A shout came as several young lads bounded from the trees. Strung between them upon a sapling was a young buck. Olaf grinned. “Real food at last. Come, let us eat, wife. Then later we will celebrate in our tent. Alone.”

~​

The five ships and their 202 men, women, and children camped for six days in the bay that became known as Hop, or Hope, in our Saxonish tongue. They feasted upon fresh fish and deer, clams, and crabs, and even a few seals taken by adventurous young lads out in the bay upon the ship’s skiffs. Repairs were made to hauls and sails alike. The second day were marked by the finding of wild grape vines, though the berries were far from ripe. Even their animals began to gain weight again.

Happy talk flooded the camp. There was talk that they should call this place home. Greenland be forsaken, for no land could be better than this bay.

That was, until three young teenagers came tumbling from the woods on the seventh morning, dragging their fourth friend by his arms. Olaf heard the commotion, grabbed his battle-axe, and rushed forwards along with several men wielding spears.

Before anyone could say anything, Olaf noted the fourth lad was dead.

It was not hard to tell how the boy died. Three arrow stubs protruded from his chest. The third lad was nursing a deep cut on his arm. All three surviving lads looked worse for wear.

“We. Were. Attacked.” The wounded lad blurted out.

“Dark haired men, dressed in skins. A hunting party. We surprised us. They shot at us. We shot our arrows back and then ran. I don’t know why they shot at us. I swear.”

Olaf nodded. He turned towards the nearby men. “Break camp. Load the ships. Hurry.”

Most men rushed off to obey. A few faltered. “Should we not avenge the dead boy?”

“Against an unknown number of foes? In an unknown land? No. My first concern is my family and ship, and my people. Each captain and crew can do as they wish, but I am leaving.”

Within the hour, the five ships were sailing first north and then west once more, rounding a headland. The coast turned southwards. A stiff breeze was blowing them westwards and Olaf allowed it to take course. He watched as the beautiful, bountiful land slipped from sight…

~​

Two days later they sighted land once more. After carefully scouting around the shoreline before making landfall they noted that this land was actually an archipelago of small islands. Islands that would be known as Isles de la Madeleine in another time.

This time they anchored in a small, protected cove before sending a small, armed party ashore with mail and weapons and shields. The men spent three days ashore, scouting the entire island for any sign of foes. The reported that there were no traces of humans upon the island and that there was a better harbor down coast, with a small river and a large tidal marsh where their animals could graze.

Olaf nodded at the news and then smiled.

“I think we could call this home…”

The harbor was nearly a kilometer deep and thrice as long. The mouth of the bay was nearly enclosed by open, grassy headlands. The west headland was the wider of the two, and ended in a low rise with water on three sides. Here, Olaf declared, they would found their new settlement.

For the next month work went on at a frantic pace. Timber along the bay was cut and then floated to the headland, along with shiploads of rock and sod. Longhouses were constructed, along with barns, workshops, ship houses, and even a small smithy, for bog iron was discovered inland after a thorough examination of the island. Last, but not least, a Horgr was constructed as a place to worship their Gods who had brought them to this land.

After a bit of deliberation – but not much – a palisade was built around their tiny town situated on the headland at the mouth of the bay. While never formally named, the town eventually became known as Olafstad.

With their winter settlement established, men and women alike began preparations to spend their first winter in this new land. Hay was cut, dried, stored away. Meat and fish, and whales alike captured, cleaned, smoked, and stored away. Berries gathered and dried. Milk processed and packed away. Olaf sent out the two smallest ships with small crews to explore the new land and report back what they found.

Each time the ships returned, they brought back greater and greater tales of the lands wealth, along with shiploads of supplies gathered from their short voyages. They also encounter Skreaglings. To the south of them was a long, narrow island (OTL Prince Edward Island) and here they traded red, green, and brown cloth for furs, dried fruits, nuts, and meats, and beautifully crafted baskets.

On what they assumed was the mainland to the north, their first encounters with the locals ended in bloodshed. Two men were killed and another wounded before they could flee. They returned two weeks later, burning the village and slaughtering the men. Ten women and twice that number of young children were taken as thralls. What could not be carried off, or was not worth taking away, was burned. Curiously, four small grape-sized nuggets of gold were found in the ruins of the village*.

And so summer slowly crept into autumn, and then into winter.

As the long, dark nights crept on, talk arose of expeditions in the spring. Two ships with a load of fine hardwood, furs, and raisins would be sent north in an attempt to find Erick’s settlement in Greenland, or else try to find Iceland. Barring both of those possibilities, they would attempt to find friendly Skraeglings to trade with. A third ship would be sent to the mouth of a large river that had been discovered in the west. For a few, it reminded them of one of the great rivers in the land of the Rus. Maybe it was, some suggested?

All of those thoughts and ideas and missions would have to wait for the spring thaw. For now, winter was their life and it was far from over in this new land…

* Small amounts of gold can be found in Quebec and Ontario, and the Acadia region of North America so it is not out of the realm of possibility that a few small pieces might be found and kept by a local native.

***​

I cannot promise regular updates but I will do my best to add some at least once a week. I hope you all enjoy. Feedback, suggestions, and advice is always welcome. Cheers.

Last edited:
The thrall party's getting started right.
If there's anything they can do to ward off imbreeding, it's this.

I hope they fail to find other norsemen, though.
Norse Isolation seems fun.

I hope they fail to find other norsemen, though.
Norse Isolation seems fun.

Isolation will become a thing, but there will be some contact before that. Enough to get a slightly larger gene pool, so to speak. I have some twists in store that I hope you will enjoy nevertheless...

Isolation will become a thing, but there will be some contact before that. Enough to get a slightly larger gene pool, so to speak. I have some twists in store that I hope you will enjoy nevertheless...
So maybe Thorfinn Karlsefni's venture joins them, among others?
Regardless, the gene pool'll probably be small enough that the native contribution makes the modern vinlanders look quite local indeed.

Excellent! I've been wanting to read one of these for a while, and yours is exceptionally well-written thus far! :D

I wonder if they've got any seed for barley or people willing to try planting it.

I mean, people tried to farm barley on Greenland at first.
Then they realized that, like on most of Iceland, that was impossible on Greenland.

I wonder if they've got any seed for barley or people willing to try planting it.

I mean, people tried to farm barley on Greenland at first.
Then they realized that, like on most of Iceland, that was impossible on Greenland.

They are growing barely. Actually, interesting to note, but that recent discoveries suggest they did grow barely in Greenland for the first two centuries or so until the climate began to cool. :)

“Dark haired men, dressed in skins. A hunting party. We surprised us. They fired at us. We shot our arrows back and then ran. I don’t know why they shot at us. I swear.”

This bothers me because gunpowder wont have widespread use until a few centuries maybe you could change it to "they loosed arrows on us" other than that good start :)

Last edited:
They are growing barely. Actually, interesting to note, but that recent discoveries suggest they did grow barely in Greenland for the first two centuries or so until the climate began to cool. :)
So the viking west will have beer.
Unhopped, root and herb flavored beer.

Also probably some bread, because they'll grow too much for just beer.
And then Native crops will come.

I suspect they'll come up with something akin to mead, but made from maple syrup instead of the unavailable honey, which can be found only in the tropical Americas via the stingless bees raised by the Maya.

Last edited:
Probably not. Newfoundland had very few natives before European colonization. The highest estimate I've seen is 2,000, and more recent estimates have brought that number down to 500 - 700. As long as the Vikings number more than a few dozen at the onset of the colony, they should out pace the native population in a few generations (even without immigration).
They aren't on Newfoundland, haven't even found it yet going by what I've read (storm took them right to Cape Breton Island), and already have almost a fifth of their population being native slaves.
Their contact with the New World is in the Maritimes.

Last edited:
They aren't on Newfoundland, haven't even found it yet going by what I've read (storm took them right to Cape Breton Island), and already have almost a fifth of their population being native slaves.
Their contact with the New World is in the Maritimes.

Correction, they have found it, but as of yet their tiny chain of islands is much more appealing. Easier to defend too and more centrally located. However, in the years to come as feuds and other events transpire, and the population multiplies, people will need to spread out... ;)

~

988 AD – The Chiefdom of Vinland – Jarl Olaf Thorson

For three years the settlement of Olafsstad grew – prospered – on the southern tip of the tiny chain of islands that would later become known as the Wine Islands, or Vinland. Children were born, their herds multiplied.

The abundant meadows of sea grass that lined the bay-that-was-nearly-a-lake that bordered their settlement provided ample forage and meadow for hay. More land had been cleared and each summer their crop of barely increased two-fold. Beer was brewed and even a little wheat one trader had horded was grown. Few Norse men (or women) had ever eaten real bread but it was becoming a delicacy for wheat, along with their traditional crop of barely, loved Vinland's southern weather.

Sadly, the deer upon the island had been hunted out the first winter. But the surrounding oceans teamed with fish – cod, salmon, flounder, and mackerel – and whales, and if deer or moose was wanted, it could be obtained on the mainland. Food was not an issue. What was an issue were the Greenlanders and especially Erick the Red, who was living up to his reputation as a ruthless man.

In the spring following their first year in this new land (986 AD), two ships had been sent north to find the ‘lost’ Greenland colonists. After a month of searching northwards, merely by chance, a small skiff was sighted off of a barren, rocky, treeless coast. Helluland, as it would later become known (OTL Baffin Island/Northern Labrador). Fours days later, the two ships pulled into Brattahlid, Erick the Red’s estate sheltered at the head of a long, rocky fiord.

The leader of the expedition, Gunnbjorn and his son, and many of his men dined in Erick’s hall, exchanging stories of the past year. Erick’s tone was less than neutral at the mention of the founding of a colony far to the south, in such an abundant land. Especially when some of his farm hands became enticed by such a notion of a colony in a warm, treed region abounding with wildlife. Not to mention the possibility of raiding and obtaining thralls from an enemy that lacked real ships and could not efficiently strike back.

Nevertheless, trade was conducted for the fledgling settlements on the southern tip of Greenland were in need of wood and other building supplies. And when the two ships departed southwards for Vinland, as the weather began to cool, they had with them nearly another thirty settlers who decided that Vinland would be a better place to live than Greenland. Not to mention a third ship of Icelanders who had just arrived in Greenland that spring. All in all, another sixty settlers would be joining Olafsstad, bringing its numbers up to three hundred.

The way back was mostly uneventful. Thrice the ships put into shore. Once to hunt caribou, and twice to make minor repairs while letting the livestock obtained in Greenland feed. And soon enough the three ships arrived in Olafsstad, much to the cheering of their comrades and new settlers alike.

“This,” one young man with golden hair proclaimed, “is where I want to spend the rest of my life.”

He would get his wish but not for the reasons he would imagine.

My mistake.

Still, the principle still applies, especially so given the founding population we are talking about (202 men, women, and children). Cape Breton Island almost certainly had fewer people than Newfoundland, so the natives are simply going to be overwhelmed once European agriculture takes hold.

-----

Keep up the good work Bavarian Raven!
In the first place, I'm not saying the Vinlanders'll be mostly natives.
I'm saying the Vinlanders will have taken so many native slaves into their gene pool that they'll make up a large genetic share.

Still Norsemen, just with lots of non-norse blood.

-----

That being said, the same from me, Raven.
Even if you keep spelling barley as barely.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the definition of "large genetic share". I mean, an average of 10-20% might be possible, but getting much higher than that is going to be difficult. Native slaves (and any offspring) will almost certainly have a higher mortality rate than their Vinlander counterparts, so their portion of the gene pool will diminish over time (especially if any new Viking settlers are introduced to the mix).
Well, 10-20% is a pretty immense native genetic impact compared to how it all came to pass in the area's actual history.

Last edited:
Here is the next unedited update. I just wanted to get this up here. I'll come back and edit it later, and maybe expand parts of it. Hope you all enjoy. Cheers.

996 AD – The Chiefdom of Vinland – Jarl Olaf Thorson
- Year 11 in the New World

The tiny settlement of Olafsstad has flourished, doubling with recent immigration from Iceland, and after the unfortunately bloody Greenland incident ended, Greenlanders too.

Olafsstad alone now contains nearly 500 souls, and the remainder of the Wineland Islands another 600 or so, scattered about on fifty or so farmsteads occupying all of the useful agricultural land. By now this tiny chain of islands resembles something out of the old world and would not be out of place if it were to appear in the Baltic or North sea. Combined, the islands contain nearly a 1000 Norsemen and women, and a hundred or so native slaves mostly captured from the North Shore of the Vinish Sea.

The greatest incident of the past decade, the skirmishes and outright piracy with the Greenland settlements, was sparked by the most important of discoveries. Salt. For it was found that the Wine Islands contain large natural deposits of salt waiting to be mined. And salt makes a great trade item, high in value, and slow to spoil. Jarl Olaf was quick to capitalize on this find and used it to trade north with first Greenland, and then Iceland for everything from livestock to smelted ingots of iron to silver to cloth. And in the south, he traded salt and metal and cloth for furs, dried fruits and meats and nuts, and other specialties.

With this newfound source of wealth, settlers began to risk the journey to the Salt Islands. One or two shiploads a year, mainly from Iceland. Settlers that in another time would have journeyed to Greenland. Some of the ships failed to make it, some turned back. But that did not dissuade the adventurous souls looking for a new life in this fabled Promised Land.

But all is not well in the Chiefdom of Vinland.

All the usable land on this tiny chain of islands was already claimed and being worked. While new combers could find work on the various farms, for labor was always short and work animals still in short supply, there were always more families arriving wanting land of their own.

Worse, the aging Jarl Olaf was seen as favoring the needs of the people of Olafsstad over that of the numerous landowning farmers on the surrounding islands. His two eldest sons, Halfdan and Bjorn Olafsson, only agitated this problem onwards for they both had visions of ruling the Chiefdom of Vinland once their father journeyed onwards to Valhalla. The eldest son, Halfdan, backed the people of Olafsstad, while the middle son Bjorn backed the farmers on the rest of the islands.

The youngest of Olaf’s sons, Thor, was content with exploring the outer reaches of the Vinlandic Sea, and it’s numerous islands, bays, and up several of the larger rivers. In 989 AD, four years after arriving in Vinland, he led a small ship and a crew of a dozen on a circumnavigation of the Island of Markland to the North (OTL Newfoundland), proving once and for all that it was an island. He traded with two small bands of natives that were migrating north to hunt seals along the west coast, while on the east coast of the island he skirmished with a third band. He lost one man and killed a dozen Skraeglings, half by himself, if the stories are to be believed.

While he over wintered every year at his father’s hall (except for the winter of 993 AD, where he was forced to over winter on a tiny island near the mouth of the Great River to the west (OTL St. Lawrence River), due to a damaged haul on his ship), he spent summers out exploring and trading and gathering resources.

When he was at home, both brothers tried to win Thor over to their faction.

He seemed oblivious to both sides of the brewing struggle and began spending more and more time away from home. So that in the spring of 999 AD, as Jarl Olaf lay dying in bed and blood was seemingly ready to flow between the two eldest brothers, Thor and a small band of followers (maybe 40 or 50 at the most, and six of them female Skraeglings who some say were slaves, others say he traded for them) set out from Olafsstad westwards to found a home of their own, away from the brewing conflict.

A week later he landed in a small cove on the tip of northwestern tip of the large island directly to the south of the Chiefdom. Here he founded Thorstorp, where he intended to live out the rest of his life. Alas, things never go as expected in life or so they say. This proved to be true for Thor as well…

~​

Below is a map of the region in 999 AD. Year 14 of the Norse Adventures in 'Vinland'.

* The map shows the Chiefdom of Vinland and the most important sites. The islands itself contains somewhere between 50 and 60 farms.

* Hop Cove is a place from the first update, where the lost settlers first landed but soon fled. It is a named place but a place seldom used or visited.

IslandsInGulfofStLawrence.gif