Blood, Sweat, and some Grits on the Side

Hi everyone, I'm just throwing this idea out there. The Frémont Republic, a merge between The Republic of Texas and the Californian Republic, provided that Texas does not become a U.S. State and that California is not annexed as well.

Frémont Republic.png

First thing you'd need to get out of the way re a possible merger would be this: Would Texas's slaveholding stance or would California's nonslaveholding stance prevail? The former's stance is one key factor re their rebellion against Mexico which forbade it.

First thing you'd need to get out of the way re a possible merger would be this: Would Texas's slaveholding stance or would California's nonslaveholding stance prevail? The former's stance is one key factor re their rebellion against Mexico which forbade it.

If there was a merger, there would have to be a split between the two, (which would most likely lead to huge problems). However, it might be possible that Texas may be persuaded to limit their slavery especially during the Civil War, with the rise of abolitionists and the South being looked down upon in general. Or maybe not.

Lord Buzz,

Keep in mind that there was only a single native-born Union unit from Texas (and that was from the German immigrants in San Antonio) and the very last Confederate surrender occurred in Texas so I seriously doubt the Californians would so easily persuade the Texans to the contrary.

Lord Buzz,

Keep in mind that there was only a single native-born Union unit from Texas (and that was from the German immigrants in San Antonio) and the very last Confederate surrender occurred in Texas so I seriously doubt the Californians would so easily persuade the Texans to the contrary.

Quite true.. it would make for an interesting conflict though.

Merged independent republics of Texas and California? That sounds amazing!

I support a TL of this 110%! :D

CHAPTER 1: A NEW REPUBLIC

Excerpt taken from: Timeline of a New Republic.

Author: Harold Logansson, a renowned collector and history enthusiast.
Published: 1976

The War of Californian Oppression [1], and the Massacre of Sonoma [2], was the primary cause of hatred between Californians and Mexicans. During the first years of the Republic, President Frémont consistently noted the tensions between recently immigrated Mexicans versus their Californian Mexican counterparts. However, in order to understand this hatred you must first look at the cause.

July 5th 1846: Captain Frèmont's expedition party joins with the rebels of the Bear Flag Rebellion, creating the First California Battalion. However, word reaches the President of Frèmont's invasive actions before the war and he is summoned for a court martial. Frèmont, rather than be humiliated before his nation, chooses to resign his commission and pursue a free California. Noticing the lack of gunpowder the First Battalion had in reserve, he sent a party of three men to negotiate with Captain John Montgomery of the USS Portsmouth for some gunpowder in exchange for Mexican prisoners.

The negotiations failed terribly, to say the least. Defeated, Frémont's diplomats to the Sonoma, the new holding of the Republic. Recognizing their perilous position and receiving news of a possible Mexican attack, he ordered the Battalion to strengthen the defenses of Sutter's Fort.
200px-Sutter%27s_Fort_from_Gleason%27s_Pictorial_Drawing_Room_Companion.jpg

Sutter's Fort after reconstruction, March 4th 1849

The sources of a Mexican attack proved to be true, and 60 militiamen lead by Captain José Joaquín de la Torre soon laid siege to the defenses.

Sorry about the super super short Chapter guys! I'm very busy and I only had a small amount of time to make this. :(

Asami

Banned
LordBuzz, don't worry about pushing out chapters regularly, try to write content that will be filling. Fans will wait for a new chapter. Like how I'm having all my fans at Land of Freedom waiting patiently for the Dark War... which will come as soon as I feel like writing it. :p

LordBuzz, don't worry about pushing out chapters regularly, try to write content that will be filling. Fans will wait for a new chapter. Like how I'm having all my fans at Land of Freedom waiting patiently for the Dark War... which will come as soon as I feel like writing it. :p

Damn that Dark War! I want it nowwwww!! :p
Thanks for the advice!

CHAPTER 2: THE SONOMA MASSACRE

July 10th: The siege nearing completion, Frémont and his officers discussed the possibility of engaging the Mexican forces in direct combat. They felt confident in victory, especially since their force outnumbered Joaquin's 2:1. However, this idea was dismissed once the consequences of combat were considered.

July 14th: All hopes were dashed once two 200-man companies showed up to reinforce Captain Torre. With the additional manpower, Joaquin was able to tremendously speed up the siege.

Frémont and his officers develop a plan for escape should the armies break through the defenses. Each man in the Battalion is given equal amounts of food, water, and ammunition, in case they should lose the upcoming battle.

July 20th: Captain Joaquin's army breaks through in a bloody rage, with Joaquin leading the charge.

"Every day I am reminded of my infamous deed at Sonoma, and I cannot forgive myself."- Captain Joaquin de la Torre, shortly before shooting himself during the Trials of 1847.

With the Battalion caught by surprise, Mexican forces quickly take the fort and the town, burning, raping, and slaughtering the whole way through.
Frémont and twenty other men escape the scene, although about half of them, including Frémont himself, are injured.

1024px-Sutter%27s_Fort_ruins_painting_by_Calthea_Vivian.jpg

Californian Artist José Manchuro's rendition of the Burning of Sutter's Fort.

The future of the Republic was uncertain. . . for now.

Ccccccuuuuurrrrrsssseeee yyyyoooouuuu!!!!! *shakes fist in general direction*:p

How does everyone like it so far?

I haven't really read enough material to say what I think yet, but it looks good so far. I'm wondering how you will keep Texas from being annexed with such a late POD (wasn't it annexed just a few years later?). The extreme antagonism towards Mexico and the distinct national identity forged by it sounds interesting. Mabye you can make Mexico more stable and powerful so as to keep a threat present for the Californians to unify against?

The premise sounds amazing so I'll definantly keep reading! :D

I haven't really read enough material to say what I think yet, but it looks good so far. I'm wondering how you will keep Texas from being annexed with such a late POD (wasn't it annexed just a few years later?). The extreme antagonism towards Mexico and the distinct national identity forged by it sounds interesting. Mabye you can make Mexico more stable and powerful so as to keep a threat present for the Californians to unify against?

The premise sounds amazing so I'll definantly keep reading! :D

Well, Mexico never really paid attention to California so they became semi-autonomous in a way. I was hoping that the whole "We rebelled from Mexico too California, let's come together to form a badass supernation" kinda thing would work out. I do believe that Texas was already annexed by this time, but I can make this work.. Small secession movement maybe?