Legacy of St. Muhammad

This is a stab at an Arab timeline. I want some opinions on it, no matter how critical they may be. This is just a rough draft and I want to iron some stuff out before I post most of the Byzantine stuff. Even I was a bit iffy when coming up with this timeline. So here we go...

Legacy of St. Muhammad

571 – Muhammad is born in Mecca.

582 – Contact with Byzantine traders gives Muhammad an interest in Christianity.

585 – Muhammad leaves Mecca with Byzantine traders, eventually ending up in Jerusalem, where he converts to Orthodox Christianity. He continues to work with the traders for the time being.

587 – In Constantinople, Muhammad begins studying to become a priest. His superiors note his piety and enthusiasm about the Christian faith. He will complete his studies in a year.

588-596 – Muhammad returns to Jerusalem, where he will preach for six years and earn a good reputation in the church.

596 – Muhammad claims to receive a visit from Jesus during a dream, who dictates what will eventually become the Book of Muhammad. Muhammad would also claim Jesus gave him a mission to convert the Arabs to Christianity. After this visitation, Muhammad writes the Patriarch of Constantinople, requesting a transfer to Mecca in order to convert the Arabs. Needing possible allies against the Persians, the Patriarch agrees.

597-600 – Years of Records. Muhammad begins preaching in Mecca. He also begins work on translating the Bible to Arabic as well as writing the Book of Muhammad, which he claims has direct revelations from Jesus Christ. The religion Muhammad begins to preach is a form of dualistic Christianity, one in which Allah and Satan are adversary gods battling over the souls of mankind. Muhammad preaches against idolatry, which he considers to be the work of Satan on Earth. The dualistic preaching upsets many of Muhammad's contemporaries as many Arabs begin converting to Christianity en mass because of Muhammad's teachings. Some of his contemporaries in Mecca are swayed by Muhammad's revelations and begin following his teachings.

601 – Muhammad is accused of heresy by the church and asked to return to Constantinople to be defrocked. Muhammad refuses and his followers set up their own church. This sect of Christianity is generally called Muhammadism. Tenants of this religion are:

-The dualistic relationship between good and evil, with good personified by God, or Allah, and evil dominated by Satan. Satan is considered a god as well, but one not to be worshiped.
-Jesus is the son of Allah and is the salvation of mankind from Satan.
-Some common elements with OTL Islam, such as the need to pray often and practice cleanliness. Pigs are also considered unclean animals.

601-632 – Years of Conversion. Muhammad begins preaching all over Arabia. Chieftains begin converting to Christianity once Mecca has been converted. Mecca becomes a holy site much like Jerusalem and Rome. Some bloodshed occurs as many leaders resist conversion. By the time of Muhammad's death, most of Arabia is unified under his version of Christianity. Muhammad is considered a major spiritual leader, but also displayed prowess as a military leader and performed admirably as an administrator. Abu Bakr becomes the first Caliph, or successor, upon Muhammad's death.

634 – Abu Bakr dies. He had been working to unify Arabia. Umar succeeds Abu Bakr as Caliph. In Europe, the Eastern Roman Empire drives the Lombards out of Italy. Roman rule is restored to Rome. Pope Honorius I crowns Heraclius Emperor of Rome. East and West are reunited for the first time in centuries. As a result, Heraclius scales back the Hellenization of the Eastern Roman Empire.

635-637 – Conquest of the Sassanids. In an effort to expand Christianity, Umar decided against invading the strengthened Roman Empire and attacked the Sassanids. Exhausted from their war against the Romans, the Sassanids can do little as the Arabs quickly seize Mesopotamia and penetrate into Persia, effectively destroying the Sassanid Empire and establishing the Arabian Caliphate as a major force in the Middle East. Rather than turn his armies against fellow Christians, Umar set about consolidating his Empire. He planned to go along the route taken by Alexander into India. It is also during this period that Umar begins codifying Arab Law.

637-644 – Push to the East. Umar leads Arab armies east after destroying the Sassanid Empire, destroying tribes and converting others to Christianity. Bactria comes under Arabic rule in 640. It is also during this year that the Arabs begin penetrating India, conquering the Indus River Valley in 642. Umar's forces dominate much of northwestern India by 644. Umar dies during a campaign under mysterious circumstances, giving India a much needed breather. Uthman ultimately succeeds Umar.

641 – Emperor Heraclius dies. Constantine III inherits the Roman Empire. Unlike in OTL, he will have a long reign, establishing a second Pax Romana.

644-656 – The Reign of Uthman. Uthman's reign as Caliph was quieter than his predecessors. Uthman concentrated on consolidating the gains of Umar and continued the codification of Arabic Law. He orders the construction of the Temple of Allah, a grand mosque that would rival the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. Uthman begins preparing expeditions into India during the later years of his reign, but dies in 656 before the armies can depart.

656-661 – The Reign of Ali. Ali, cousin of Muhammad, becomes Caliph following the death of Uthman. Plans for further incursions into India are called off by Ali, but the frontier is strengthened under his reign as Caliph. Ali moved the capital of the Caliphate from Mecca to Kufa in Mesopotamia in order to better manage the nation. He was assassinated in 661 by religious zealots hoping to gain more conquests.

661-680 – Ascension of the Umayyad Dynasty. Muawiyah I becomes Caliph following the assassination of Ali. Unlike his predecessors, the new Caliph wants to continue the expansion of the empire begun by Umar. The frontier along the Indus River is reinforced and Arab armies begin pouring into India in 664. For years, many princes along the border had been paying tribute to the Arabs and some even converted to Christianity. Muawiyah I demanded tribute in the form of troops from many princes, only to absorb these territories into the Caliphate. The campaign is considered brutal by many, but the Arabs display a zealous spirit of conquest and by 670, India is fully under Arab control. Arab expeditions also lead to the conquest of Ceylon (666).

Muawiyah I also expanded Kufa, establishing a major imperial court in the city. Trade with Byzantium enriched the Caliphate. Muawiyah I ordered the construction of a new mosque and a university in Kufa. It was clear to many that the capital would not be in Arabia anymore as Kufa became a central hub in the Middle East, connected by overland trade routes to Europe, North Africa and the Far East due to the Arab conquest of Persia, Bactria, and India. Muawiyah I would die in 680, leaving behind a strong Caliphate for his successor to inherit.

664 – Constantine III dies. His son, Constans II succeeds him as Roman Emperor.

680-683 – Reign of Yazid I. Selected by his father to become Caliph, Yazid I faced opposition against Husayn ibn Ali, grandson of the assassinated Caliph Ali. Husayn's forces marched from Mecca to Kufa to confront Yazid's armies, only to be decimated at the Battle of Karbala on October 10, 680. Yazid's reign was faced with more opposition, including a revolt in Arabia. Yazid laid siege to Mecca, only to die suddenly in 683.

683-684 – Reign of Muawiyah II. Succeeding his father as Caliph, Muawiyah II met intense opposition in Arabia. He was unwilling to quell the revolt and eventually abdicated.

684-685 – Reign of Marwan I. Marwan I gained the title of Caliph following his predecessor's abdication, but inherited an empire in revolt. He quelled the rebellion in Arabia and reestablished his control in the region. His reign would be cut short with his death in 685, but his deeds solidified the empire for his successor.

685-705 – Reign of Abd al-Malik. Succeeding his father, Abd al-Malik sought to stabilize the Caliphate. First, he had to reassert control over India, whose population grew bold during the Arab revolt. India was in the slow process of Christianizing and provided little trouble for the Arab Empire. Abd al-Malik also made Arabic the official language of the empire, established a mint that produced a uniform currency and expanded and reorganized the postal service. Under his reign, Dehli became a major center of Christianity in the Arab empire as old Hindu and Buddhist traditions began to die out. Good relations with Constantinople continued during Abd al-Malik's reign as Caliph. He would die in 705.

705-715 – Reign of Al-Walid I. Son of Abd al-Malik, Al-Walid I was bent on expanding the empire's borders. Arab forces began to expand beyond the Ganges River, eventually penetrating into Burma. Much of Indonesia would also fall under Arab control in 713. Relations with Constantinople began to cool during the reign of Al-Walid I, which ended with his death in 715.

715-717 – Reign of Suleiman. Suleiman was the brother of the previous Caliph and governor of Hejaz. He did not continue expanding the empire, sensing that it was reaching its limits. Rather than following hereditary succession, Suleiman would appoint his own successor before he died in 717.

717-720 – Reign of Umar II. Like his predecessor, Umar II would have a peaceful reign over the empire, but it did not mean he abandoned all ideas of expansion. By the end of his reign, the Arab Empire reached its greatest extent, stretching from the southern coast of Arabia, to the mountains of Iran in the North, and the Himalayas, parts of Burma and Indonesia in the east.

720-724 – Reign of Yazid II. Cousin of the previous Caliph, Yazid II inherited an empire that began to decline. Revolts broke out in India and Indonesia. Unable to put down revolts in Indonesia led to its permanent loss to the empire. In India, the reprisals from the Umayyids were heavy handed.

724-743 – Reign of Hisham. Hisham would succeed in putting down the first rebellion in India in 726, but the subcontinent would always be on the verge of rebellion. As a result, many Arab soldiers were stationed in India. Hisham did his best to stabilize the empire, but found it difficult to manage. Bureaucracy grew to unheard of proportions during Hisham's reign, which stifled many of his attempts at reform and ultimately sowed the seeds for the rise of the Abbasids.

743-744 – Reign of Al-Walid II. Decadence would rule Al-Walid II's short reign as Caliph. He accomplished little during his reign and was assassinated in 744.

744 – Year of Four Caliphs. Yazid III would have the shortest reign of any Caliph (only six months). He quickly lost the support of the army for his refusal to meet his predecessor's pay promises and was assassinated. Ibrahim succeeded Yazid III that year, but his succession was not supported and he was forced to abdicate and flee. Marwin II would come to the throne next.

744-750 – Reign of Marwin II and the Fall of the Arab Empire. India immediately revolted in 744, forcing the Umayyads to move to suppress the revolt. However, problems soon erupted throughout the empire and it began to fall apart at the seams. The Abbasids gained many followers in Iran and India. Relations with Byzantium, poor for decades, culminated in an invasion in 748. Byzantine forces invaded Arabia and Iraq, eventually sacking the Umayyad capital of Kufa in 750. Marwin II and many of his relatives were killed in the battle for Kufa and this event tore the Arab Empire to shreds. India quickly broke away and the Abbasids consolidated their power in Iran. The remaining Umayyads retreated into Arabia as the Roman Empire annexed Mesopotamia and much of the Trans-Caucasus.

The Arab Empire was split into three successor states: the Umayyad Caliphate of Arabia, the Abbasid Caliphate of Iran and the Caliphate of India.

Not much. I may have to expand on it to make it a slightly different sect. The whole concept I had was if the Arabs were a bit like the Mormons. A few odd things about them, but still Christian.

Keenir

Banned
Ace Venom said:
This is a stab at an Arab timeline. I want some opinions on it, no matter how critical they may be. This is just a rough draft and I want to iron some stuff out before I post most of the Byzantine stuff. Even I was a bit iffy when coming up with this timeline. So here we go...

Legacy of St. Muhammad

571 – Muhammad is born in Mecca.

582 – Contact with Byzantine traders gives Muhammad an interest in Christianity.

585 – Muhammad leaves Mecca with Byzantine traders, eventually ending up in Jerusalem, where he converts to Orthodox Christianity.

Why not Coptic Christianity?

634 – Abu Bakr dies. He had been working to unify Arabia. Umar succeeds Abu Bakr as Caliph. In Europe, the Eastern Roman Empire drives the Lombards out of Italy. Roman rule is restored to Rome. Pope Honorius I crowns Heraclius Emperor of Rome. East and West are reunited for the first time in centuries. As a result, Heraclius scales back the Hellenization of the Eastern Roman Empire.

I don't understand....he's more successful at reuniting the Empire....so why doesn't be put his stamp (Hellenization) on the Empire? what did he put all that effort into it for, then?

all in all, an interesting timeline.

Well, you're right. Hellenization wouldn't be halted. Making that change in the next installment.

Legacy of St. Muhammad

Chapter 2

The West

627: The war between the Eastern Roman Empire and the Sassanid Empire concludes. The Romans recover lost territories in the war after great sacrifice. Emperor Heraclius, no longer concerned with the Persian threat to the east, brings his attention to the west. The immediate concern is restoring Roman rule to Italy due to the threat of the Lombards. He also wants to reclaim territories in Spain taken by the Visigoths, but decides to leave this to future rulers. The empire is war weary and cannot afford another drawn out campaign. Restoration of order becomes the primary goal. The empire begins moving troops into Italy to combat the Lombard threat.

In the meantime, reclaiming territories allows Heraclius to continue his program of Hellenization in the empire.

634: The Lombards are driven out of Italy. Heraclius returns to Rome with much fanfare and is recognized by the Pope as Emperor of Rome and Protector of the Faith. The emperor's Hellenization plans do not sit well with the Italian population, but for the moment, most welcome stability to Italy. The Lombards flee to the north, setting up a kingdom in the Alps. This will ultimately bring them into conflict with the Avars, who they sided with against the Gepids just less than a century earlier.

641: Emperor Heraclius dies in Constantinople. Constantine III, his son, will succeed Heraclius as emperor. His rule will mostly be peaceful. One of the major tasks of his reign is continuing order in the empire by securing the borders and continuing Hellenization. By the end of his reign, he will have also restored rule to the Balkans.

645: King Rothari of the Lombards is killed in battle against the Avars. The remaining Lombards disperse into Frankish and Roman territory and cease to be a major force.

664: Constantine III dies and is succeeded by Constans II, his son. Constans II wants to emulate the glory of his grandfather by expanding the borders of the empire. He orders his armies to reclaim the old Roman province of Mauretania in North Africa from the Berbers.

667: The Eastern Roman Empire restores Roman rule to Mauretania.

669: Roman armies travel down the Nile, spreading into OTL Sudan. Very little expansion occurs and they reach the site of OTL Khartoum in 671. This area becomes known as the Roman province of Nubia.

672: Constans II dies in Alexandria. His son succeeds him, becoming Constantine IV. Unlike his father, he will not seek to expand the empire. One of the greatest challenges of his rule will be the encroachment of Muhammadism in Palestine, Syria, Armenia, and Egypt.

680: The Third Council of Constantinople is held to address the problems with Muhammadism. It also reaffirms the Orthodox doctrines of the Council of Chalcedon, much to the annoyance of Pope Leo II in Rome.

685: Constantine IV dies in his sleep. His son, Justinian II, succeeds him. He will be seen by many as a megalomaniac during his rule. Justinian II focuses on great building projects and religious persecution.

692: Justinian II calls the infamous Quinisext Council. He will also order the arrest of Pope Sergius I, but the arrest never takes place as much of Italy sides with the Pope. Italy will be thrown into chaos as a result of the order.

695: Justinian II is deposed and assassinated. Without an apparent heir, the throne goes to General Leontios, who becomes known as Emperor Leo III. He will be just as brutal as his predecessor, but relaxed on terms of religious persecution. As a show of good faith to the West, he repeals the measures of the Quinisext Council. This makes him popular in the West and ends turmoil in Italy, but makes him unpopular among his supporters.

697: Leo III becomes even more unpopular in the empire when he marries an Arab princess. It does, however, manage to keep good relations between the Byzantine Empire and the Arab Empire.

701: Leo survives an assassination attempt. Some of his bodyguards were in a plot against him to install another general as Emperor. Loyal bodyguards purge the ranks. For the rest of his reign, the emperor will be very paranoid.

713: Leo III dies in his sleep, though it is rumored he is poisoned. His son succeeds him and becomes known as Leo IV.

716-8: Leo IV begins a massive campaign against the Avars. It accomplishes very little in the long term. He manages to claim the entirety of the Crimea and secures it. Efforts to reclaim the old Roman province of Dacia fail. In the end, he will have only moved the border north to the Drave River.

741: Leo IV dies, having accomplished little since his campaigns against the Avars. His son, Constantine V, succeeds him.

748-750: The Byzantine Empire takes advantage of the chaos tearing apart the Arab Empire and invades. The entirety of Armenia falls under their control, allowing penetration into Arab strongholds in Iberia and Albania. Raids into Arabia mostly serve to shock the enemy. Iraq falls under Byzantine control when Kufa falls in 750, effectively destroying the Arab Empire. The Abassids take control in Persia while the Umayyads flee into Arabia, where they set up an independent Caliphate.