Napoleon captured by cossacks?

Now I can't remember where I heard this but is it true that at one point during the Napoleonic invasion of Russia Napoleon was nearly captured by a group of Cossacks?

If so that would be a pretty impressive POD.

Yeah, this was during the retreat out of Russia.

IIRC he carried some poison with him so he could commit suicide if he got captured.

I think in the event of Napoleon's death in Russia, France would immediately sue for peace.

They might retain the Rhine borders considering the allies offered that in 1813 IOTL.

Yeah, this was during the retreat out of Russia.

IIRC he carried some poison with him so he could commit suicide if he got captured.

I think in the event of Napoleon's death in Russia, France would immediately sue for peace.

They might retain the Rhine borders considering the allies offered that in 1813 IOTL.

So if Napoleon committed suicide would the allies offer a Rhine border and Napoleon II the throne? Or would they insist on a Bourbon restoration?

PsihoKekec

Banned
He was also nearly killed or captured at Eylau, his staff and some stragglers holding of the Russians long enough for Guard to intervene.

He was also nearly killed or captured at Eylau, his staff and some stragglers holding of the Russians long enough for Guard to intervene.

Interesting, but I'm interested in what position his capture (and maybe suicide) would leave France in at the start of 1813.

I believe he was captured during the Six Days' Campaign in 1814 when the Polish Lancers saved him from the Cossacks in almost the last second. But his capture at the time would cause less butterflies than it would a year or two earlier.

So if Napoleon committed suicide would the allies offer a Rhine border and Napoleon II the throne? Or would they insist on a Bourbon restoration?

Nap II is only 1-2 years old at this point, France would be in a political mess. I think it's possible that a coup could take place.

Nap II is only 1-2 years old at this point, France would be in a political mess. I think it's possible that a coup could take place.

I figured Josephine would demand the regency, but a coup is probable. Malet's coup failed because Napoleon was actually alive, but it someone else decided to act well that's a recipe for trouble.

I figured Josephine would demand the regency, but a coup is probable. Malet's coup failed because Napoleon was actually alive, but it someone else decided to act well that's a recipe for trouble.

Indeed. However, Josephine is not the Empress anymore. The Empress at the time of the Russian war is Marie Louise.

Indeed. However, Josephine is not the Empress anymore. The Empress at the time of the Russian war is Marie Louise.

Derp my bad :p

But would Marie Louise and supporters have the strength to command a regency (or more importantly would Austria support that)? Who would be interested in launching a coup?

The cossacks writing a letter to the Empress of France

Repin_Cossacks.jpg

"And then roasted the little devil-fart you called your husband on a small fire!":D

Marie Louise would probably guarantee the Rhine and the end of the Napoleonic Wars, but might risk a coup to save Napoleon from Habsurg influence.

My guess is some sort of compromise where there's a constitutional monarchy, or someone else is regent (Eugene would be the best choice, but prob wouldn't be the one picked)

Marie Louise would probably guarantee the Rhine and the end of the Napoleonic Wars, but might risk a coup to save Napoleon from Habsurg influence.

My guess is some sort of compromise where there's a constitutional monarchy, or someone else is regent (Eugene would be the best choice, but prob wouldn't be the one picked)

Would the Austrians be willing to try and guarantee Marie Louise on the throne? Would Britain and Russia back that play?

It's an interesting scenario the more I think about it.