• Lucius Verus doesnt die in the Antonine Plague and remains junior emperor

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please decide between the following options

Julius Caesar avoids assassination on the Ides of March

Tiberius Gracchus is more successful in carrying out his reforms

Lucius Verus does not die of the Antonine Plague and remains junior emperor

I was actually going to use Tiberius Gracchus with a combination of Julius Caesar in a possible timeline I'll be creating.

I'd say Tiberius Gracchus would equal in a lasting Republic, or Julius Caesar for an Empire with more order.

Him not dying of the Antonine Plague and staying on as junior Emperor, continuing to fight the wars in the East and thereby allowing Marcus Aurelius to stay in Rome.
Wait a second. Didn't Lucius Verus just have a triumph in his honor for defeating the Parthian threat at the time of the Antonine Plague? He stayed in Rome from 166 to 169, when he died preparing to battle the Marcomanni. How can you keep Marcus in Rome?

Last edited:

Dirk

Banned
So, just brainstorming the possible winner at this point, would it be okay for assassination to still be attempted, but for Caesar to survive in good health? If so, can...can I write the first update? :eek:

So, just brainstorming the possible winner at this point, would it be okay for assassination to still be attempted, but for Caesar to survive in good health? If so, can...can I write the first update? :eek:
I will allow it myself. Screw the polls anyway, let's start this! ;)

Looking to alternate history I am always interested in stories, which lead to a better and more stable Rome.

Gracchus:

I doubt a succesful land reform would change that much regarding the main issues of the roman republic. Perhaps if it would lead to a situation, where the senate becomes responsible for the pension scheme of the legionairs and more importantly sees the need to take care of it with passion. I doubt, this works with the aristocrats of these times.

So the challenge is, to analyze, what the issues of the roman republic have been and check, how Grachus could change them.

Caesar:

Is an old and probably ill man. His attempts to reform the republic were much less substantial than Octavians ones. So I doubt again history would become that much different.

However, if Caesar defeat the parthians and manages to implement provinces in at least Mesopotamia and Media in a way, that they are longerm controllable from Rome in a stable manner, this would change the world dramatically. I just have no clue, how this should work. It is actually a mission impossible.

I asume, that his heir would be again Octavian, but now coming from a much better position without a civil war.

Lucius Verus:

I doubt he would change that much. The 3rd century crisis will happen, no matter what. The structural changes, which are already running are way too strong. One guy can't butterfly such strong changes away.

Well, you could say, that with Verus, the success-model of adoption and co-emperors could last forever. But first you have to answer the question, why the adoption model failed and why it should not fail with or after Verus. Also later it never worked again. At least not for long. Even the tetrarchy with 4 emperors did not work. And again the social, economical and military changes are strong these days. Commodus was surely not the main issue. If Commodus was a problem, why Severus Alexander was not? The problem is far more sophisticated.

Of course you could always write interesting stories, which proof that these guys will change nothing and after a while we will end up with the same well known history. But what's the challenge with such an approach?

Last edited: