Basileia ton Romaion: Aima! Drasis! Bloody prophecies!

This will be written in the style of my previous TL, 'The Right Man for the Job'. One of the main PODs is that Andronikos I Komnenos dies earlier than OTL and is succeeded by his oldest son Manuel (father of Alexios & David of Trebizond). From what I've read, Manuel seemed to be competant enough to be emperor, and he seemed to have a better moral character than his father. The difference in this TL is that he actually gets off his duff and does something about it.

Honestly, I probably should have waited until my exams are over to do this, but this is just one of many Byzantophilic ideas that I wanted to get off my chest. And what better way to do it than with a new TL? Chances are it won't be finished for a long time, but I'll update this whenever I can. But for now, Rhomaioi!

Basileia ton Romaion: Aima! Drasis! Bloody prophecies!

Volume 1: Manuel II Komnenos 'the Gentle'

1184 AD:

Around February, Manuel Komnenos and his wife Rusudan, a distant relative* of Queen Tamar of Georgia, had just celebrated the birth of their second son, David. To them, this was one of the few bright spots of light in the darkness that had enveloped Constantinople, no, the empire. Manuel's father, the Emperor Andronikos I Komnenos, had risen to power six months ago on the corpses of his victims. Andronikos had gained immense popularity when he deposed the Frankish empress Maria of Antioch and her lover Alexios prōtosebastos**. So popular was he that the boy-emperor Alexios II was forced to acknowledge him as co-ruler. But even that was not enough for him. Andronikos systematically eliminated the remaining royal family - poisoning Maria porphyrogenita and her husband Renier-John of Montferrat, forcing Alexios to sign Maria of Antioch's death warrant, and finally strangling the 14-year old with a bow-string. To top it all off, he married Alexios's eleven-year old (eleven!) bride Princess Agnes of France.

The relationship between Manuel and his father had been strained. He himself had been in favour of sparing the former empress's life, and the assassination of Alexios II had made him even more protective of his oldest son (also named Alexios). Finally, Andronikos had raised as co-emperor, not Manuel, but Manuel's lazy younger brother John, who had more talent fighting woodland creatures than Turks or Franks.

One night after David's birth, Manuel woke with a start from his bed, breathing heavily and quietly muttering the word 'drasis' over and over. Seeing Rusudan concerned and confused, Manuel explained that he had heard a voice in his dream.

"Manuel... Manuel... Hear me, Manuel. Drasis! By this word, your people shall be saved. Drasis!"

When Rusudan asked what it meant, her husband shushed her, saying that now was neither the time nor the place. He knew what had to be done, but first they needed allies and a plan.

Spring came and went and Manuel Komnenos's circle of conspirators began to grow. These included his half-sister Eirene, her former husband Alexios Komnenos***, former Patriarch Theodosius Borradiotes, strategos Manuel Kamytzes and, to their great surprise, Theodore Branas, son of Alexios Branas, a general who so far had been loyal to Andronikos. No one knew Branas's personal motives and none of them trusted him but they could not afford to lose the support of a very popular and experienced strategos...

*: Originally thought to be Queen Tamar's sister, but recent research has shown that Alexios & David's connection to the Bagrationi dynasty was because their grandfather was the son of Isaac, son of Alexios I and Kata of Georgia, daughter of David the Builder. Thanks to Mipp for pointing that out.
**: The second son of John II's second son, Andronikos, thus Manuel I's nephew. Ew.
***: An illegitimate son of Manuel I by his niece, Theodora Vatatzina. Andronikos initially married him to Eirene but later turned on and blinded his son-in-law.

Last edited:
Who said this was withering? I'm impressed you relaunched this.

Actually, this might turn out to be a separate ATL. The goal is still the same - keep the Komnenoi on the Byzantine throne until at least the mid 13th century with perhaps the same number of emperors as the Macedonian dynasty. I've always been fascinated by the Andronikos and his descendants.

I'll post the next update today, but first I'm trying to decide which way Andronikos should go:

A. Catching an STD like gonorrhoea?
B. Dying of exhaustion during coitus?
C. 'Accidentally' killed in battle ala Richard the Lionheart?
D. Assassinated after a drinking bout/orgy ala Michael III 'the Drunkard'?

Before answering that question, I must ask why you're having Andronikos offed a year early? Who would be spared his paranoia and purges within the difference of a year? I take it it's not to give the Angelosi an advantage...

Oh wait it's so his son Manuel can become Emperor. What sort of character does/could he have? His father was described as handsome and eloquent, active, hardy, courageous, a great general and an able politician, but also licentious in his youth. How much does he resemble him?

Also I may be inclined to write a summary or two describing the state of Byzantium after the death of Manuel I, if you don't mind. It'll bring everyone up to speed world-building wise...

Before answering that question, I must ask why you're having Andronikos offed a year early? Who would be spared his paranoia and purges within the difference of a year? I take it it's not to give the Angelosi an advantage...

Oh wait it's so his son Manuel can become Emperor. What sort of character does/could he have? His father was described as handsome and eloquent, active, hardy, courageous, a great general and an able politician, but also licentious in his youth. How much does he resemble him?

Also I may be inclined to write a summary or two describing the state of Byzantium after the death of Manuel I, if you don't mind. It'll bring everyone up to speed world-building wise...

A summary would be nice. I am wondering as to the state of the coffers after Manuel's reign. As for TTL's Manuel II, I'm thinking that he would take after his father, but less licentious and bloodthirsty, interested in reform but taking a more... subtle stand against naysayers. In this ATL, the Sicilian invasion will still happen, but not the Bulgarian revolt. And while Manuel will focus more on Anatolia, I would be interested in seeing the Romaioi regain Syrmia, Bosnia and Dalmatia.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
A. Catching an STD like gonorrhoea?
B. Dying of exhaustion during coitus?
C. 'Accidentally' killed in battle ala Richard the Lionheart?
D. Assassinated after a drinking bout/orgy ala Michael III 'the Drunkard'?

If I may, I shall humbly cast my vote for 'D'. :D

If I may, I shall humbly cast my vote for 'D'. :D

Ask and ye shall receive.

1184 AD:

Rebellious nobles were nothing new to Andronikos I Komnenos - Andronikos Lapardas, Basil & John Kamateros, John Kontostephanos, John Vatatzes and their sons, and Isaac, grandson of Manuel I's brother, who even now was ruling Cyprus like a king. But his chief concern was the cities of Nicaea and Prusa, which had rebelled against his authority under the influence of Theodore Kantakouzenos and brothers Isaac and Alexios Angelos.

For months, the city held out against Andronikos and Alexios Branas. Andronikos had even gone so far as to bring Isaac's mother, Euphrosyne, from Constantinople and tied to the battering ram. Theodore Kantakouzenos led a sally to rescue the poor lady and hopefully take down the emperor himself. While Euphrosyne was saved, Theodore was hacked to bits by the Varangians before he could even reach the emperor. The defenders now turned to the Angelos brothers for leadership, but their courage failed them and they, along with Archbishop Nicholas, opened negotiations with the emperor. Andronikos promised clemency and compassion if they surrendered, but when he entered the city he set his troops on the people like dogs.

Prusa, under the leadership of Theodore Angelos*, put up just as valiant a defense, but fell nontheless. By rebellion's end, Isaac & Alexios Angelos and their mother were imprisoned, Theodore Angelos was blinded and set on an ass to be carried wherever it went, and hundreds, if not thousands of civilians were either dead, imprisoned or exiled.

Andronikos returned to Constantinople and made his way to the Blachernae as secretly as possible to avoid the jeers, spit, mud and produce which the people had grown accustomed to greeting him with in recent months. To his surprise, he was greeted warmly by his sons and daughters. With John away hunting in Macedonia, Manuel had taken the liberty of preparing a feast for the emperor's return. Andronikos could hardly resist, hedonist that he was.

It was during this feast that Manuel first met Manuel Laskaris and his sons (Manuel, Michael, Theodore, Constantine and Alexios) and Alexios Angelos's eldest daughter Eirene. Andronikos planned to have the Angeloi brothers executed first thing in the morning, and he planned to have his henchman Stephan Hagiochristophorites do the deed. The feast went on into the night and only ended when the emperor, drunk as a fish, dismissed everyone and left for his chambers with a concubine named Maraptike in one arm and poor little Agnes of France in the other...

The palace was filled with echoes of grunts, moans and screams that night...

In the morning, Hagiochristophorites collected Isaac and Alexios from the dungeons but was surrounded by the Varangian guard as they exited. All three men were dragged to the Hagia Sophia where a ceremnony was taking place - the crowning of a new emperor and empress by the reinstated Patriarch Theodosius. When Stephen roared that Andronikos, his master, was the one true emperor, the crowd outside the gates to the pavilion erupt into an outrage. Manuel is able to calm them down long enough to announce that his father died earlier that night and that his first act was to pardon all those unjustly imprisoned during his reign, especially the Angeloi brothers. Alexios and Isaac are rushed and publically hugged by their wives and children.

Manuel has Hagiochristophorites dragged upstairs and the Angeloi ushered inside, saying no child should have to witness what comes next. When Stephen appears on the balcony, Manuel charges him with crimes against the people of Constantinople and the empire. Asking the crowd if they agree with him, the answer is a resounding and deafening 'yes!'. Finally, Stephen Hagiochristophorites is thrown off the balcony into the crowd, who begin savagely tearing at his body.

No one knows exactly what happened to Andronikos Komnenos that night. A select few believe he finally died of old age, the majority believe was killed in his sleep on Manuel's orders, a few more lurid tales say that Andronikos's lust finally took its toll on his body and he died of exhaustion. Young Agnes was married off to someone more her age - Theodore Branas**, and lazy John never did return from that hunt...

Manuel II Komnenos had gained the throne quicker and more easily than he thought, but he would soon find that keeping it would be his greatest challenge yet.

*: Either a brother, uncle or cousin of the infamous Angeloi who became emperors OTL.
**: They did get together OTL, they would have one daughter together and Theodore would go on to serve the Latin Empire.

Last edited:
Real nice to see this up.

Thanks. Any suggestions? Do you think this has potential?

Ah, and you even threw in an "unfortunate hunting accident". Good show. :D

That was actually based on what happened OTL. When the Normans invaded and sacked Thessalonica, Andronikos sent his son John along with Alexios Branas and some other generals to beat them back, but John spent his time hunting instead. When word got out that Andronikos had been deposed, John was killed by his own men.

Speaking of the Normans, William II's invasion force was said to be 80,000 men, including 5,000. I'm guessing the real number would be half/a third or less.

A Byzantiwank? I'm all for it, has there been a Latin massacre in this timeline?

Eeyup. It's been two years since the Latin massacre, and there might be more in the future. Needless to say, Manuel II's reign will be full of conflict - Normans! Turks! Usurpers!

Here are a few ideas I'm going over for this TL:

* A surviving Norman Sicily under Tancred and his descendants.
* A longer-lasting Welf HRE.
* The Cumans flee from the Mongols into the ERE, which will directly tie into the Komnenoi's ultimate downfall.

* Trying to decide if there should be any non-Komnenoi emperors during this time, the same way Romanus Lekapenos, Nikephoros Phokas & John Tzimiskes are included in the Macedonian dynasty.

Candidate houses (some of these I just really like the sound of, and their ancestries):

Angelos - Anatolian Greek (possibly from Philadelphia)
Laskaris - Greek (possibly from Thessalonika)
Maurozomes - Pelopponesian Greek
Axouch - Hellenised Turks
Gidos - Hellenised Normans
Rallis-Raoul - Hellenised Normans
Branas - Greek
Kantakouzenos - Greek (possibly from Smyrna)
Asen - Mixed Bulgarian/Vlach/Cuman
Kontostephanos - Greek

No Palaiologos or Vatazes or Kantakozenos?

The Kantakozenoi are listed above, between Branas and Asen.

I'm trying to stray away from the more common candidates for the most parts. Many of the dynasties I listed above were obscure or died out - that creates potential for storytelling/world-building. But yes, houses like the Palaiologoi and Vatatzes will still be a part of the story.

Speaking of houses, were there any 'pure' Doukai left by the end of the 12th century? I know the family branch which produced Constantine X and Michael VII was matrilineally descended, if that even makes sense.

Keep going, its good.

Ask and you shall receive, starting right now:

1185:

Manuel began his reign with a number of strategic moves and marriages. He married his half-sister Eirene to a nobleman named Manuel Maurozomes* and arranged betrothals for his sons, nephews and nieces:

Alexios Komnenos - Theodora Axuchina**
David Komnenos - Constance Arpad, daughter of King Bela of Hungary***

Isaac Angelos:

Euphrosyne - Leo Sgouros
Eirene - Andronikos Gidos
Alexios Angelos - Maria Palaiologos

Alexios Angelos (brother of Isaac):

Eirene - Andronikos Kontostephanos
Anna - Theodore Laskaris
Eudokia - Alexios Doukas Mourtzouphlos

Why did Manuel marry David to Constance and not Alexios? The first reason was to maintain the loyalty of the Axouch family to the Komnenos family, the second was to placate the people of Constantinople. Alexios was his heir apparent and, to avoid any further actions against the Latins, Manuel had to show that his son was marrying a good Orthodox Greek woman.

While Manuel and Andronikos hadn't always seen eye-to-eye, he did recognise the importance of the reforms his father had tried to push and did his best to continue them. He ordered that the Hydrales river aquaduct be finished as soon as possible, kept a very close eye on tax collectors and he began awarding public offices on merit rather than birth or bribery. Some examples include rewarding command of the theme of Trebizond to Alexios Gidos. The Gavras brothers, uprooted from Trebizond by his father, were relocated from their traditional base of power to the theme of Cherson. Finally, Manuel began personally organising the education of young men who would eventually become governors, administators, commanders and priests, including Alexios Andronikashvili, his half-brother.

Very quickly, the emperor became known for his frugality, rarely throwing splendid feasts or building new statues or palaces. 'Stone used in a hospital or a city wall supports the people. Stone used in a statue supports nothing' became a saying attributed to him. This stingy attitude towards spending caught the attention of former Patriarch Basil II whom Manuel had deposed for approving a marriage between his sister Eirene and her cousin, Alexios Komnenos. Basil continuously attacked the emperor as 'a greedy, hypocritical pederast'.

Near the end of July, Rusudan was pregnant once more. Manuel had just finished supervising a lesson for his nieces and nephews-in-law when a messanger arrived carrying a sack of coins. These coins were minted in the imperial style, but they were proclaiming as emperor not Manuel but one Theodore Mangaphas****, a nobleman from Philadelphia who had gained the support of the cities of Lydia and the Armenians in the Troad. Enraged, Manuel decided to deal with this usurper himself. Assembling an army of 8,000 men, he crossed the Bosphorus and met up with the Laskarids and another of his cousins, Constantine Angelos*****. Nearly half of Manuel's army were Bulgarians and Vlachs led by two young nobles named Peter and Ivan Asen^. Shortly before news of Mangaphas's revolt, Manuel had been personally approached by the brothers who had requested land and service in the imperial army. Seeing an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, Manuel had promised them and their fellows Bulgarians land in and around Philadelphia once Mangaphas was dealt with.

Meanwhile, trouble was brewing in the west. King William II of Sicily had once been a suitor for the hand of Manuel I's daughter Maria. Eventually, he married Princess Joan of England, but his desire for a Mediterranean empire could not be quenched. William assembled an army of nearly 20,000 men, including Normans, Italians, Arabs and Berbers and personally set sail for Dyrrachium, hoping to deal with the effeminate Greeks once and for all and to leave a great legacy for his son, Bohemund...

****: OTL he tried to overthrow both Isaac II Angelos and Henry of Flanders. His failures earned him the nickname Morotheodoros or 'Theodore the Fool'
*****: OTL, he was very successful militarily against the Bulgarians before he tried and failed to overthrow Isaac II. This was just before Isaac finally was deposed.
^: I think many of you know who they are.

Last edited: