With Fire and Iron - State files

Hello and welcome to my very first timeline! Although I'm only just starting to upload it, I've been working on this for around 9 months already, mostly through research (this, on top of my studying and exams has been a difficult process :p)

This thread is solely for information on the nations present in my timeline. I hope you enjoy and appreciate my work, all criticisms are welcome and if you like it then please subscribe! :)

Before you scroll on, disclaimers:

Most names used in this thread are fictitious, excluding any actual historical characters referenced. So if any of the names or personalities of the characters I
have invented bare any resemblance to any real people, this is purely coincidental.

The views expressed by certain fictional characters do not represent mine, the author's. Some bad language is used and no offense is intended. All racially
sensitive topics are only part of the story and I do not advocate racist, homophobic or any other bigoted attitudes.
Rather, I am trying to highlight the dangers of such attitudes in a society.

Anyway, with no further a due, I present to you the world of With Fire and Iron!

Note: All the information on this thread is also compiled on my wikia for this timeline, so feel free to have a look at that too: http://withfireandiron.wikia.com/wiki/With_Fire_and_Iron_Wiki

World map, 1900 AD:

1YNtK14.png

Last edited:
“Carolina is home to folks of many creeds and cultures. We're a welcoming bunch and we hope you enjoy our fair people's hospitality during your stay” - President Hector W. Andrews, speaking to the Colombian diplomat the day before the Kentucky Massacre, May 25th 1877

The Carolina Republic, often referred to as the Summer State, is a federal presidential republic consisting of five states and one federal district. Carolina is bordered by the United States of America to the north, New Zion to the west and Georgia to the south.

North Carolina was the first of ten states to secede from the United States of America between 1838 and 1841 during a period commonly referred to as the “Great American Fragmentation”. Shortly after, the states of South Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee followed and the five states formed a union due to common interests. Following a brief but bloody war in which the (severely crippled) United States of America attempted to subdue the rebelling states (which now included Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and the Florida Territory, as well as military support from Mexico), the Carolina Republic began to grow in strength thanks to its alliances, trading partners and good foreign policy, thanks to its accomplished president, James Marshall. Following Marshall's death in 1856, Carolina went into a period of decline due to a number of short, poorly organised presidencies.

The Carolina Republic is overwhelmingly protestant, with most citizens adhering to one of the Evangelical Churches. Around 10% of the population adhere to the Roman Catholic Church. Most of the population are White, mainly of German and English stock. Accurate demographics can't be given as the Carolina Republic has yet to have a census on ethnicity. Estimate figures put the African American community at around 20 to 25% of the population.

National motto: “Victoria aut mors” (English: Victory or death)
Population (1897 census): 10,542,367
Official language: English
Demonym: Carolinian
Capital: Charlotte
Area: 235,359.2 square miles (609,767.67 square kilometres)
Government: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: George Ramsey
Vice President: Jack Simpson
Legislature: Congress
  • Upper house: Senate
  • Lower house: House of representatives
Currency: Carolina Dollar

Flag of Carolina:
clP8PWV.png

Location of the Carolina Republic within North America:
bmvWvlq.png

Last edited:
“New Zion is surrounded by heathens just waitin' to attack. Whether it be the godless sodomites of the United States of America to our north, the nigger loving filth of the Louisiana Republic to our south or the mass hordes of Pope-worshippin' spics to our west, it is our duty as honourable, god-fearing white folk to defend our homes, our women and our children against these damned foreigners who'd see us fall away from the light of Christ. Be a man and get yourself armed” - a speech by Reginald H. Scott, fourth President of the Christian Republic of New Zion, opening The Annual Arms Fair in Little Rock, Summer of 1898

The Christian Republic of New Zion, affectionately known as the Eden of the West is a landlocked theocratic presidential republic, bordering the United States of America to the north, the Carolina Republic and Georgia to the east, Louisiana to the south, the Republic of Texas to the south-west and the United States of Mexico to the west.

The State of Arkansas was the 10th state to secede from the United States in 1841, during a time of great political instability in the United States. Upon independence, evangelical preacher and leader of the independence movement Mordechai Stevenson famously made his “Vision of Zion” speech,

“Today, brothers and sisters, I had a vision. A vision of a state independent of the heathens in Washington, who'd tell you that a Papist should have the same rights as a true god-fearing Christian such as yourselves. A vision of a state independent of the man in New York who'd tell you that the savage negro deserves the same rights as an educated white man! Yes, my friends, I have a vision of a state where the full glory of Christ is honoured in the courts, in the schools and in the senate! Together, we shall build this new nation, this new ZION, and we shall show the world that the true followers of Christ are a force to be reckoned with!”

This new state was proclaimed the Christian Republic of New Zion. The United States, too busy dealing with a war on 3 fronts with Carolina, Georgia and Mexico, didn't show much of a reaction to Arkansas declaring independence, nor the fact it took all of the old Arkansas territory. New Zion quickly alienated itself from its neighbouring states, cutting all ties to the USA and Mexico. It forged a friendship with the Republic off Georgia, the most Christian-orientated breakaway state (although much less so than New Zion). In 1872, New Zion severed all ties with Louisiana when the state banned the slave trade, accusing the state of “falling to the temptations of the heretical European powers”, thus leaving only the Republic of Georgia, the Carolina Republic and the Republic of Texas as friendly neighbours to the state.

New Zion saw a large influx of white (of mainly English and German stock) protestants between 1850 and 1890. By the turn of the century, the capital city of Little Rock had a population of 72,000.

Most citizens of New Zion adhere to the state-sponsored Evangelical Zionist Church. Although no census of religion has ever been taken as the State claims the entire population belong to the church, this is clearly untrue as Catholics are routinely persecuted in the south-west of the state. Estimates from British sources, although limited, put the actual demographic as around 90% EZC, 8% other Protestant denominations and 1 or 2% Catholic.

National motto: “In the Lord we find strength”
Population (1899 census): 2,746,115
State religion: Christianity (Evangelical Zionist Church)
Demonym: Zionist, Arkansan, Arkansawyer
Capital: Little Rock
Area: 117,000 square miles (188,290 square kilometres)
Government: Unitary presidential Christian republic
President: Reginald H. Scott
Vice President: Richard Coburn
Legislature: Grand Christian Assembly
Currency: New Zion Dollar

Flag of New Zion:
mkeiNKI.png

Location of New Zion within North America:
d81OgMR.png

Last edited:
“Never before have I met men so stubborn, arrogant and passive aggressive as the men I found in Georgia” - Swedish traveller in an article about the Republic of Georgia

The Republic of Georgia, rarely referred to as the Georgian Republic and nicknamed the Peach Republic or the Cotton States is a federal presidential republic consisting of four states. Georgia is bordered by the Carolina Republic to the north, Louisiana to the west and Oklahoma to the north-west. It should be noted that the Republic of Georgia officially claims its name to be the “Republic of America”, though it is rarely referred to by this name outside of Georgia, or by native Georgians for that matter.

Georgia was the 6th state to secede from the United States, leaving on the 4th April 1839, only 2 days after the secession of Tennessee, a date now celebrated as Georgian Independence Day. Shortly after, Alabama and Mississippi left, and all three formed a union that immediately claimed the Florida territory, a claim welcomed by the people of Florida. Georgia fought alongside Carolina and Mexico against the USA during what is sometimes referred to as the American Civil War between 1838 and lasting until the final peace treaty in 1846, though fighting ended in 1843.

The Republic of Georgia was the final American nation to abolish slavery in 1878, mainly due to outside pressure. However, as with the other southern republics, racism is still rife and Georgia is known for being a strong promoter of segregation, with criminalising laws against interracial marriages.

Along with New Zion, Georgia is one of only two former US nations to promote an official religion. The constitution of Georgia officially names the state religion as being “Christianity”, though doesn't specify any one denomination. Despite its poor level of rights compared to the USA, New England and even Carolina, it should be noted that Georgians have a healthy relationship between the different Christian denominations, with both Protestants and Catholics represented in Congress.

The official census of 1900 put the White population at 73%, the black population at 26% and 1% defined as “other” (Mostly natives). Georgia promoted voluntary repatriation of the black population to Africa following the abolition of slavery, though to very limited success. Increased attacks on African Americans in the 1880s and 1890s has also seen many black people flee northward to the USA. The majority of the population adhere to mainline Protestant Churches, though a significant Catholic minority also exists. The 1900 census put the Catholic population at 14%, with the rest of the population adhering to Protestant denominations. There is also a small Jewish community, mainly concentrated in Florida.

National motto: “In God We Trust”
Population (1900 census): 6,104,542
Demonym: Georgian, American
Capital: Atlanta
Area: 226,029 square miles (585,421 square kilometres)
President: Nicholas Kershaw
Vice President: Samuel O'Neill
Currency: Georgian Dollar

Flag of Georgia:
MycunfE.png

Location of Georgia within North America:
8TSsi7N.png

Last edited:
“Du bon vin, de la bonne norriture et une abondance d’armes à feu” - Cajun proverb

The Republic of Louisiana is a Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic, bordered by Texas to the west, New Zion to the north and Georgia to the east.

Louisiana was the 9th state to secede from the USA, declaring its independence in October 1839. As with Arkansas, Louisiana avoided any struggle with the USA, which was already having to deal with the south-eastern states and Mexico.

Louisiana had seen a large influx of French immigration following the Bourbon restoration, almost entirely from liberals fleeing the reactionary forces. Around 18,000 French liberals and their families left France for Louisiana, so much so that by the time of Louisiana independence in 1839, 1 in every 3 people were French. To a lesser extent, some Francophone citizens of British North America moved to Louisiana following its independence, with around 40,000 arrivals in total by the end of the century. Louisiana abolished slavery in 1872, though the practice had already died down significantly by that time.

Louisiana has a Catholic majority. Around 73% of the population adhere to the Roman Catholic Church, with the remaining 29% belonging mainly to the Evangelical Protestant Churches. 26% of the population are African-American, which includes the large Creole population. 74% of the population are White, with 61% of the total population considering themselves French or Cajun.

National motto: “Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité” (English: Liberty, Equality, Fraternity)
Population (1900 estimate): 1,652,249
Official languages: French, English
Demonym: Louisianan, French American, Cajun
Capital: New Orleans
Area: 49,858 square miles (80,239 square kilometres)
President: Vincent Leroux
Vice President: Howard Guillot
Legislature: Parliament
  • Lower house: National Assembly
Currency: Louisianan Dollar

Flag of Louisiana:
AJr4ciN.png

Location of Louisiana within North America:
CG3sQ6R.png

Last edited:
“The railway will be 2270 miles long. It'll start in Louisiana and span all the way west to Monterey, passing through Houston, Austin, Santa Fe and the many towns of New Mexico and Alta California along the way.” - Architect Jack Morrison describing his vision of the Great California Railway

The Republic of Texas is a presidential constitutional republic, bordering Mexico to the West, New Zion to the north and Louisiana to the east.

The Republic of Texas was one of four states that seceded during the Mexican Civil War (1834-1839), and one of only two that continued to exist after the end of the war, along with the Republic of Yucatan. Texas initially claimed its boundaries to include everything up to the Rio Grande in the south and New Mexico in the west, although once it became evident that the USA was too weak to support Texas in a war with Mexico and the Republic of the Rio Grande had already fallen, Texas soon rushed to create peace with Mexico. Luckily for Texas, Mexico was dealing with infighting already and had the Republic of California to deal with, and so was willing to settle for the reduced boundaries that Texas had suggested. Texas quickly developed a close relationship with its former master, and the two of them, along with the Republic of Louisiana, began work on the Great California Railway line that spans from Louisiana to the Pacific.

Texas has a White American majority, with the official census of 1895 putting the White population at 82% (including 7% Hispanic Whites). 11% of the population are Black, while Hispanics of Mestizo backgrounds make up the remaining 5%.

Because of its significant Hispanic minority and its close relationship with Mexico, Texas has two official languages, English and Spanish. Around 20% of the population are bilingual.

The largest single denomination is Catholicism, with 22% of the population adhering to the Roman Catholic Church (including the entire Hispanic population). However, the remaining 78% of the population belong to one of the Protestant denominations, with the Texas Baptist Church having around 20% of the population and the Evangelical Churches around 18%. The remainder belong to one of the mainline Protestant churches.

National motto: “Unity Makes Us Stronger”
Population (1895 census): 2,733,194
Official languages: English, Spanish
Demonym: Texan, Tejano
Capital: Houston
Area: 220,000 square miles (321,870 square kilometres)
Government: Unitary Presidential Constitutional Republic
President: Jeremiah Evans
Vice President: Timothy Collins
  • Lower house: Chamber of Deputies
Currency: Republic of Texas Dollar

Flag of Texas:
9xHyWvd.png

Location of Texas within North America:
KViZ6qm.png

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess the POD is shortly before the Congress of Vienna and does involve a different war of 1812?

Interesting. I guess the POD is shortly before the Congress of Vienna and does involve a different war of 1812?

Correct :) Initial POD is 1812, with the main POD being New England's independence in 1814, a slightly longer War of 1812 with a peace treaty in 1815 (rather than late 1814), and Cape Colony being returned to the Dutch in the Congress of Vienna.

Impressive maps! You've put a great deal of time, energy and creativity into this project, and it shows. I do however, question your choice of POD. 1812 is way late for such divergence from OTL to occur by c.1840. Please, when you start telling this story in-full, please take some time to detail how this alt-world came to be. I look forward to reading your story as it unfolds!

Impressive maps! You've put a great deal of time, energy and creativity into this project, and it shows. I do however, question your choice of POD. 1812 is way late for such divergence from OTL to occur by c.1840. Please, when you start telling this story in-full, please take some time to detail how this alt-world came to be. I look forward to reading your story as it unfolds!

Just added Texas! :)

The maps are 1900, so 88 years after the initial POD. Do you mean that too much has changed already by 1840? The main changes by 1840 from OTL are the survival of the Bourbon restoration, the fragmentation of the USA (a result of internal political strife and the USA being crippled having lost New England), Cape Colony being returned to the Dutch and Argentina having a monarch.

If there's anything you find ASB, please tell me! Either way I shall be going into a lot of detail when I write up the timeline, but at the moment I am only doing brief posts about the countries of the world at the turn of the century :)

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Very nice maps, but unless I'm mistaken—isn't New Orleans somewhere in that bite Georgia seems to have taken out of eastern Louisiana?

Very nice maps, but unless I'm mistaken—isn't New Orleans somewhere in that bite Georgia seems to have taken out of eastern Louisiana?

So it is, thank God for your eyesight! That was a design error, it was supposed to be on the border. The border with Georgia is the one from the time of the Louisiana Purchase, but I appear to have drawn it a little bit off. I'll correct that now, than you for pointing it out! :)

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. ” - Alexis de Tocqueville, French political thinker

The United States of America is a federal presidential republic consisting of seventeen states and one federal district. The United States borders Canada to the north, New England to the east, the Carolina Republic to the south-east, New Zion to the south, Mexico to the south-west and British Columbia to the west.

The USA suffered heavily with the loss of New England in 1814, a loss it would never recover from. Building tensions between the different political ideologies and regions of the US boiled over in the late 1830s, resulting in the Great American Fragmentation, when ten of the twenty states seceded. Although the USA is well known for being the founder of constitutional democracy and a strong promoter of separation of Church and state, many view it as being on the verge of military dictatorship, especially after the creation of the Home Army in 1846. Following the Fragmentation, the capital city of the USA was moved from Washington, DC to Toledo, Ohio, which was subsequently renamed Franklin after the Founding Father Benjamin Franklin.

34.8% of the American population is Catholic, with New Jersey having the highest proportion of Catholics of any state (39%). The remainder of the population mainly belong to mainline Protestant Churches (The largest denomination being Lutheranism). The USA also has a significant Jewish minority at around 2% of the population, mainly of German Jewish origin.

National motto: “E Pluribus Unum” (English: One From Many)
Population (1900 census): 39,675,422
Demonym: American
Capital: Franklin
President: Andrew Martin
Vice President: Daniel C. Mathers
  • Legislature: Congress
Currency: United States Dollar

Flag of the USA:
LGJ1WoE.png

A map of the USA with the states labeled. The three major regions are also indicated - the East Coast states in blue, the Great Lakes states in lilac and the Missouri states in light green
XhpJ01X.png

Last edited:
“Live Free or Die” - General John Stark, Continental Army veteran

New England, officially the New England Federation is a federal parliamentary republic consisting of five states. New England is bordered by Canada to the north and the USA to the west.

New England seceded from the USA during the War of 1812, due to both pressure from the British, public anger with Washington because of the Embargo Act from 1807-1809 and a general support for a closer relationship between New England and the increasingly powerful British Empire.

New England declared independence in December of 1814, and in the Treaty of Tilburg between Great Britain and the USA, February 1815, the USA recognised New England's independence. New England tried to move away from the American form of government because of what it saw as a failure of the Federal Government prior to the War of 1812. Each of the five states in New England has a governor who represent the state in the Federal Assembly. The governors (who are elected by the people) appoint one of themselves as chancellor, although this role is almost completely titular, holding little power beyond chairing the Assembly.

36% of the population are Catholic, and the remainder belong mostly to the Protestant Churches. There is also a sizeable Jewish community at about 1% of the population, mostly located in Boston.

National motto: “Live Free or Die”
Population (1900 census): 5,722,146
Demonym: New Englander, Yankee
Federal capital: Boston
Area: 71,991.8 square miles (186,458.8 square kilometres)
Government: Federal Parliamentary Republic
Chancellor: Benjamin Manning
Legislature: Federal Assembly
Upper house: Senate
Lower house: National Council
Currency: New England pound

Flag of New England:
4NLRVld.png

Map of New England showing the five states:
Xqv0hkd.png

“The people of New Brunswick are more British than the British” - Harris Sheppard, New England poet

The Kingdom of Canada is a British dominion in North America. It borders New England to the south east, the USA to the south and British Columbia to the south west.

Canada achieved status as a kingdom during the reign of King George V (1830-1896) in the year 1882 when the lands were unified into a single dominion. Canada saw a relatively peaceful period following the end of the War of 1812, and saw relative prosperity thanks to the timber trade, as well as resources such as nickel, lead and gold. As of 1859 Canada controls the entire northern coast of North America (after the Alaska Purchase).

Canada is religiously and ethnically diverse. 51% of the population adhere to the Catholic faith, with the largest concentration of Catholics being in Quebec (76% Catholic). The remaining 49% are mostly Protestants, though an Orthodox community does exist in Alaska, making up around 2% of the population. The largest ethnic group is English at 32% of the population. 21% are French, 19% Scottish, 15% Irish, 10% German and the remainder belong to other European minorities and the Native peoples.

National motto: “Calles iustorum custodias ” (“Keep to the Paths of the Righteous” – Proverbs 2:20)
Population (1897 census): 6,244,000
Demonym: Canadian, British American
Capital: York
Area: More than 4 million square miles (10 million square kilometres)
Government: Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy
King: George VI (George II of Canada)
Governor General: Edward Hopcraft
Legislature: British Parliament
Currency: Pound Sterling

Flag of Canada:
Qwh6Yc0.png

Location of Canada within North America:
hU29OqX.png