WI: The USFL minus Donald Trump

Let's say the POD is 1984, and let's say the USFL rejects Donald Trump's push for a fall schedule.

How much longer does the USFL last?

Hard to say, but if it can last long enough to the Spring of 1988 (after the strike of 1987) maybe it would gain traction.

The USFL started in the spring after a strike season and I think that helped its initial popularity (plus the novelty of it) and if could last to the spring after the next strike season it just might gain some traction with frustrated fans.

Hard to say, but if it can last long enough to the Spring of 1988 (after the strike of 1987) maybe it would gain traction.

The USFL started in the spring after a strike season and I think that helped its initial popularity (plus the novelty of it) and if could last to the spring after the next strike season it just might gain some traction with frustrated fans.

And while the Buccaneers were losing, the Bandits could still outdraw them at the Big Sombrero.

And while the Buccaneers were losing, the Bandits could still outdraw them at the Big Sombrero.

In addition to that, one of the first orders of business will be to move one of the lower performing teams in terms of attendance to Baltimore once the Colts move. I know that happened OTL but I am not sure Philly was the best candidate for that move.

I do think that if they could keep the league even somewhat successful past the 1987 season they would have a huge opportunity to take advantage of the second NFL strike in less than a decade.

Another thing would be to target upcoming NFL expansion markets like Tennessee, Carolina, and Jacksonville before the NFL gets there.

In addition to that, one of the first orders of business will be to move one of the lower performing teams in terms of attendance to Baltimore once the Colts move. I know that happened OTL but I am not sure Philly was the best candidate for that move.

I do think that if they could keep the league even somewhat successful past the 1987 season they would have a huge opportunity to take advantage of the second NFL strike in less than a decade.

Another thing would be to target upcoming NFL expansion markets like Tennessee, Carolina, and Jacksonville before the NFL gets there.

The USFL was already in Tennessee (Memphis Showboats) and Jacksonville (Jacksonville Bulls), but if the USFL did become viable, the Bulls would've have to move when the Gator Bowl is demolished to build the Jaguars' stadium.

The USFL was already in Tennessee (Memphis Showboats) and Jacksonville (Jacksonville Bulls), but if the USFL did become viable, the Bulls would've have to move when the Gator Bowl is demolished to build the Jaguars' stadium.

Good point, I forgot about those but I think the league would have been better off starting in places like that (instead of expanding to those cities) while limiting its footprint in established NFL cities. The league only started with 12 teams but I'm not sure they started in the right places.

Good point, I forgot about those but I think the league would have been better off starting in places like that (instead of expanding to those cities) while limiting its footprint in established NFL cities. The league only started with 12 teams but I'm not sure they started in the right places.

Arizona was good at the time, because there was no team there yet, but that set up the Cardinals' arrival from St. Louis later that decade. I think NY, Chicago, LA and the Bay Area is all you really need as far as big cities.

A team in the Carolinas would've been good for the USFL, but the Carolinas had to wait till the World League came out in the early 90's with the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks.

Columbus would've been another good choice. Not sure why the USFL never had an Ohio team.

How about Salt Lake, Albuquerque, Omaha, Shreveport, or Norfolk?

Dang, I forgot about Columbus, that would have been a perfect choice. I went to school at Ohio State back in the day. No city in this country was more desperate for a big time pro sports franchise and that city tried every minor league sport you can think of because between Ohio State, Cleveland, and Cincinnati it was too hard to make it attractive to pro teams.

I was amazed when Columbus got an NHL franchise.

The other cities you mentioned are all good ideas too along with places like Louisville and Portland. I think the key is really big cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, the Bay Area, and Houston. After that focus on cities without NFL franchises. Probably should cap the league at 16 teams as well and then keep it in the spring.

Dang, I forgot about Columbus, that would have been a perfect choice. I went to school at Ohio State back in the day. No city in this country was more desperate for a big time pro sports franchise and that city tried every minor league sport you can think of because between Ohio State, Cleveland, and Cincinnati it was too hard to make it attractive to pro teams.

The other cities you mentioned are all good ideas too along with places like Louisville and Portland. I think the key is really big cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, the Bay Area, and Houston. After that focus on cities without NFL franchises. Probably should cap the league at 16 teams as well and then keep it in the spring.

With respect to Columbus, I think John McConnell could've easily been the owner of a Columbus USFL team, given that he would later be the founder of the Blue Jackets IOTL.

16 Teams sounds decent enough. Here's what a 16 team WLAF would've looked like in the 90's:

European: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Frankfurt, London
North American East: Montreal, New York, Ohio, Orlando
North American Central: Birmingham, Chicago, Mexico City, San Antonio
North American West: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Portland, Sacramento

So was I. I remember when my brother-in-law and I were talking about it after they got the team 17 years ago, and I said "right church, wrong pew" I thought that Cleveland would have been better. They were building a new arena downtown, and you could have had a three-way rivalry between the new Barons (that is what I would call them), the Sabres, and the Pens.

Back to the USFL, though: This idea that Old Navy has come up is good, but here's another one in relation to this:

What if there was no USFL?

So was I. I remember when my brother-in-law and I were talking about it after they got the team 17 years ago, and I said "right church, wrong pew" I thought that Cleveland would have been better. They were building a new arena downtown, and you could have had a three-way rivalry between the new Barons (that is what I would call them), the Sabres, and the Pens.

Back to the USFL, though: This idea that Old Navy has come up is good, but here's another one in relation to this:

What if there was no USFL?

Without the USFL, I don't think the NFL would've ever changed as much as it did IOTL. And, I don't think there would be a World League without the USFL. And I don't think Jacksonville would ever have the Jaguars.

Last edited:

Here's an alternate USFL alignment for '83

Atlantic: New Jersey Generals, Jacksonville Bulls, Tampa Bay Bandits, Philadelphia Stars
Central: Chicago Blitz, Birmingham Stallions, Memphis Showboats, Houston Gamblers
Pacific: Arizona Wranglers, Los Angeles Breakers*, Oakland Invaders, Portland Lumberjacks

*Express had a pretty dull logo. The Breakers with their wave helmet should've belonged to LA.

Expansion/Relocation sites:
  • Columbus, OH
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Louisville, KY
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Orlando, FL
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Shreveport, LA
  • Omaha, NE
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • San Jose, CA
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Las Vegas, NV

The original Dixon Plan for the USFL was like this

• Teams play in large NFL caliber stadiums
  • Teams plan for large year 1 pre-season promotional budgets to introduce the team to the local market.
  • A tight players' salary cap of $1.8 million per team.
  • A territorial draft, to better stock teams with familiar local collegiate stars to help the gate.

I would recommend trying to have franchises in areas that didn't already have NFL franchises so as to differentiate the league from the NFL, but make sure that the franchises were in markets that could or would support a pro football team (San Antonio would not be one of them).

I would also recommend sticking to the budget on player salaries. In OTL, the New Jersey Generals shot themselves in the foot right from the start when they signed Hershel Walker for $4.2 million and a $1 million dollar signing bonus.

I'd also recommend keeping the spring schedule just so you wouldn't have to run head-to-head with the NFL.

Moving a team to Baltimore after 1984 would be a good move. The CFL team that was established in 1993 managed to do very well, drawing crowds upwards of 30,000.

Without the USFL, I don't think the NFL would've ever changed as much as it did IOTL. And, I don't think there would be a World League without the USFL. And I don't think Jacksonville would ever have the Jaguars.

I think it would have given the CFL and XFL a better shot at lasting.

Correct. There would be the Phoenix Firebirds instead.

In 1984, Bart Starr was part of a group that was trying to bring an expansion team to the desert. Thomas Stoen was going to be the owner, and they had land purchased on the Gila Indian Reservation for a new stadium.

However, the USFL delayed any expansion talk. If there was no USFL, that team would have existed, and maybe something could have gotten worked out between Baltimore, the Irsays, Indy, and the NFL as far as the second expansion team in concerned.

The beginning of the end seemed to be the minute Trump bought into the league. I think they would have made it otherwise.

How much longer do you think the USFL could've went without Trump? Somewhere towards the mid 1990's?

I think they could have gone on indefinitely had they stayed in the spring. They had a good thing going, and drew well in cities like Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, New Jersey, Birmingham, Memphis, arguably Orlando (who says 3 teams can't draw in one state?), Philadelphia, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Denver, Michigan, and Houston. They vacated most of those cities with the planned fall move. Cities like LA, Chicago, Washington were bad draws, and San Antonio (more due to bad ownership).

I think they could have gone on indefinitely had they stayed in the spring. They had a good thing going, and drew well in cities like Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, New Jersey, Birmingham, Memphis, arguably Orlando (who says 3 teams can't draw in one state?), Philadelphia, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Denver, Michigan, and Houston. They vacated most of those cities with the planned fall move. Cities like LA, Chicago, Washington were bad draws, and San Antonio (more due to bad ownership).

I think if the USFL had survived through 1987 they would have been on good footing. A combination of fan frustration after the second NFL strike in less than a decade and the growth of cable TV - remember the first NFL game on ESPN was during the 1987 season, a Browns loss to the 49ers.