Flag Challenge 88 - Voting Thread

Which entrant had the best fit for the challenge?

• Marc Pasquin

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Alvar 13

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • The Professor

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Kate the Great

• Martinus Paduei

• Sicarius

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 11gm1

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • ah-sue

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Richard IV

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • dusan989

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the voting thread for Flag Challenge 88. Place your vote in the poll above, for the entries below. The challenge was to design a flag to replace the current Australian one in a modern day OTL setting. Thanks to all the entrants - I think ten is the most we've had for a while.

Marc Pasquin
attachment.php

Alvar 13
attachment.php

The Professor
attachment.php

Kate the Great
4lsyfn.png

Martinus Paduei
attachment.php

Sicarius
dbG7yiw.png

11gm1
attachment.php

ah-sue
sza3r8.png

Richard IV
2hf012r.png

dusan989
australia_by_dusan1989-d5xc663.png

Sicarius' and Marc's were my favorites, but I liked the red stripe on the former - reminded me of the red earth of the outback - so it got my vote.

Sicarius' and Marc's were my favorites, but I liked the red stripe on the former - reminded me of the red earth of the outback - so it got my vote.
Same here, plus Sicarius's flag keeps the current colors while adding Australian yellow. ah-sue's flag reminds me a lot of the Brazilian flag because of the colors and the placement of the white Southern cross on blue, inside a yellow field inside green

Voting for oneself seems odd to me. Once lost a vote to a student election when I mentioned I voted for someone else then me. Maybe it made it look like even *I* wouldn't vote for myself.....

Voting for oneself seems odd to me. Once lost a vote to a student election when I mentioned I voted for someone else then me. Maybe it made it look like even *I* wouldn't vote for myself.....

There is that element to it.
Discounting political need I tend to only vote for flags that I think are better than mine

I don't see what's odd about it - at elections they usually make a photo-op out of [leader of party] or [candidate] voting for themselves. I've voted for other people as well, but it seems weird that you'd rather someone not vote than cast a vote for their own entry.

I don't see what's odd about it - at elections they usually make a photo-op out of [leader of party] or [candidate] voting for themselves. I've voted for other people as well, but it seems weird that you'd rather someone not vote than cast a vote for their own entry.

To be quite frank, I never understood that part either. At most contest, you don't see the judges go onstage, do their bits, then come back down to be on the panel.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not implying that others are cheating. Its just my feeling.

To be quite frank, I never understood that part either. At most contest, you don't see the judges go onstage, do their bits, then come back down to be on the panel.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not implying that others are cheating. Its just my feeling.

That's a different situation, though, in that you have a theoretically impartial judging panel. This - and elections - are a poll of the inhabitants of wherever, in this case the members of the AH.com boards. The entrants are members and are entitled to vote however they choose, including for themselves, imo.

I was going to vote for Pasquins on principle, but Martinius's caught my eye. Its nice to see a non standardized map.

I have designed several flags with maps that don't look like maps (I generally dislike flags with maps that do look like maps LOL) which are in the general flag thread.

Hey, look at those vote totals! I'm putting on a late surge. :p