Romania - wank

Feeling a little bit nationalistic today and having read this on the "which country deserves a wank?"-thread, I thought about writing up a short scenario or two where my country does a whole lot better:

Definitely Dutchwank, Italian citystate wank, Islamic Egypt wank, Korea wank, Denmark wank, Navarre wank, Sicily wank, or Norway (not as part of united Scandinavia) wank.

In general, all of the British Isles countries other than England are screwed as are the Balkans nations other than the Ottomans and Byzantium. I think more than anything a Romania wank is in the cards.

Feel free to comment and post your own Romania-wanks (I guess POD should be no earlier than the begining of the Hungarian conquest of Transilvania, though even that will arguably produce a "Romania" that is enormously different in almost every way from its current form). The later the POD producing good results, the better.

And here it goes:

Romania decides to sit ww1 out like usual, leading to the aging King Carol I (of Hohenzollern stock) dying shortly after. The new king and government are even more commited to squeeze everything they can out of both side through trade, which gets more and more advantageous as the months and years go by. They also wisely decide not to accept paper money after a while, instead opting for either gold/silver or investments such as the building of german factories with german know-how and german machines in the major Romanian cities.

Come 1916 and Bucharest still cant come to an agreement with the Entente regarding territorial concessions, so they continues staying neutral, a stance reinforced later by Russia's abysmal performance and later drop-out.

By late 1918 however it's obvious the CP are on their last legs, though a clear brakethrough has yet to be made. The Entente offer Romania all the concessions they got OTL, and Romania enters the war with an invasion of Bulgaria heading straight for Sofia, just like 5 years earlier during the second balkan war. Bulgarian morale, already stressed to braking point by years of war and hardship, finally breaks, and the country sues for peace.
The chain reaction caused by this leads to Germany throwing in the towel. Meanwhile, in Bulgaria, the Romanian army is busy shamefully looting the place bare (just like OTL in Hungary in 1919).

With the war over, Austria-Hungary breaks apart. Transilvania decides to join Romania, though Hungary will have none of that and refuse, this leading to war with both Romania and Czechoslovakia . The Honved manages to retake Slovakia, though fares poorly against the Romanian army, and, soon enough, Romanian soldiers are seen parading through Budapest while Horthy comes to power backed by Romanian arms (all just like OTL).

Romania thus gains Transilvania from Hungary, as well as at the subsequent peace table, a small bit of land called Serbian Banat (located north of the Danube, south of the Romanian border) that OTL went to Serbia. Other areas joinig Romania, just like OTL, are Bukovina from the now deceased A-H, and the former tsarist province of Basarabia bordering Romania (which had been occupied by A-H following brest-litovsk).

Other concessions gained by Romania at alt-Versailles is a promise by France to buy romanian grain (instead of investing in colonies like indochina and then buying it from there).

Thus, at the end of ww1, Romania stands far better than OTL. It has a bit more land (serbian banat), a lot more stuff gained via trade (CP direct investments, Russian and CP gold and silver) or plunder (Bulgaria and Hungary instead of just Hungary) as well as lot more stuff that isn't lost (things destroyed during the war OTL, taken during the occupation or traded for nothing following defeat to the CP, or the gold reserve lost in Russia during the revolution - and thus no post-war hyperinflation). Also, there is no awful harvest of 1919 thanks to there being enough seeds (that OTL went to feed the CP), and, as said, no hyper-inflation

In the interwar period, the economy develops somewhat better than OTL thanks to a better head-start and favorable trade with France. There is some industrialisation, with factories for agricultural machines being built more than OTL. Land reform is carried out, though it institutes and encourages private collectives capable of investing in their land and succesfully selling their produce instead of subsistence farmers. Education is just like OTL, with lots of people, particularly in the growing cities, learing how to read and write. Universities are built and expanded.

Also, as part of gov. policy, lots of Russian emmigrants (particulrly middle-class capitalists) fleeing the bolsheviks are encouraged to settle in Romania, provided they bring with them what capital they had and invest it locally. Germans and Austrians with critical skills (engineering, chemistry, etc) are also given substantial incentives to settle in Romania as their own countries seem to collapse.

In the late 30', a fascistic resurgent Germany begins to pressure the allies for territorial concessions. Czechoslovakia is broken up. Carpathian Ruthenia, instead of allowing itself to be eaten up by Hungary, opts for a personal union with Romania, with the Romanian king being head of state and military and foreign policy being decided mainly by Bucharest. Also a customs union is agreed upon in the hasty negotiations. This however sparks war between a revanchist Hungary and Romania, which drags in both Germany and the Entente.

One year later, the German war effort colllapses after it failed to make any breakthrough in France, and the allies are once again victorious. Romania gets some reparations from Germany (including more factories), and once again loots Hungary.

With things in Europe apparently settled, the Britain and France grow ever more worried of the rising communist beheamonth in the east. Thus, although war never comes, London and Paris continue to invest and support the "cordon sanitaire" meant to isolate Moscow from the capitalist world. One of the main beneficiaries of this policy is Romania.

By 2012, Romania has a standart of living and an infrastructure somewhat similar to the one in northern Italy today, as well as a lot more land.

So, what do you guys think ? Plausible ? Wank-ish enough ?

Last edited:
I like it. Romania has had such potential only to be set back time and again by unfortunate circumstances.

Also, you know what would be cool for this timeline? The progress of Romanian aircraft development.

Sounds pretty good, especially in terms of territory. I think to make it more of a true wank you need to get Romania some serious international recognition. Maybe have them spearhead a counter movement to the TTL Soviet Union, and thus prevent Russia from making any major gains in Europe following the alternate second German war. Giving them a founding role in TTL's EU could be interesting, and having them be the first ones to put a man on the moon would be pretty cool too (and would definitely push TTL into wank territory).

Plenty of grain and oil about, seems like a good country for a wank.

Militarily, she should use her extra economy for a good fighter force to protect the oil fields and some destroyer and submarines for the Black Sea and Danube and defensive works for the Soviet frontier (the only real threat to her security). A defensive alliance with Turkey against the Soviet Union should be secured (along with Poland and anyone else willing)

WW1 would play out differently with Rommania neutral, interesting what the CP would do in late 1916 without a Rommanian campaign to worry about.

I like it.
Thanks.

Romania has had such potential only to be set back time and again by unfortunate circumstances.
Sad but true.

Also, you know what would be cool for this timeline? The progress of Romanian aircraft development.
I have absolutely no idea how to tackle this. If you or anyone are willing, please feel free.

Sounds pretty good, especially in terms of territory.
Thanks.

I think to make it more of a true wank you need to get Romania some serious international recognition.
Does this mean its too realistic ? :p

Maybe have them spearhead a counter movement to the TTL Soviet Union, and thus prevent Russia from making any major gains in Europe following the alternate second German war.
I guess Romanian politicians ITTL were busy as hell in London and Paris pointing out how big of a threat the SU was and how it was necessary for Romania to get all the support in the world. While the idea of the "cordon sanitaire" may have come OTL from a Frenchman, I gues Romanians and Poles would be TTL its biggest supporters. Maybe a sort of European NATO'esque organisation grows out of this. ;

Giving them a founding role in TTL's EU could be interesting,
Lets say Romania's good relations with Poland and Yugoslavia lead to them establishing a customs or trade union of some sort, and our alt-EU grows from there - although the centre of gravity would naturally shift towards the west.

and having them be the first ones to put a man on the moon would be pretty cool too (and would definitely push TTL into wank territory)
Other than the astronaut being of Romanian descent, I have no idea how on earth to pull this off...

Also managing to get these borders in the above scenario would make a true wank.

I had a little fun with map-making this morning, and came up with this map for the TL above.
1.jpg

Plenty of grain and oil about, seems like a good country for a wank.

Militarily, she should use her extra economy for a good fighter force to protect the oil fields and some destroyer and submarines for the Black Sea and Danube and defensive works for the Soviet frontier (the only real threat to her security). A defensive alliance with Turkey against the Soviet Union should be secured (along with Poland and anyone else willing).

I think their best bet is an alliance with France and Britain, along with Poland.

WW1 would play out differently with Rommania neutral, interesting what the CP would do in late 1916 without a Rommanian campaign to worry about.

I imagined, when I coloured the map, that they beat up Russia some more, allowing them to knock Italy out as well following an earlier defeat of Russia. Eventually, they piss that advantage away on the western front. After the Bulgarian collapse, Karl strikes a deal with the Entente and its all over for the CP.

1.jpg

For alt moon landing, you could, with a stronger France, Britan, and obviously Romania after the minimalized effects of TTL's WW2, have the Allies/UN make getting to the moon a team effort between the previous three nations, the US, Poland, and maybe a Muslim nation (Turkey or Egypt) or hispanic nation (maybe Cuba assuming no Castro) to help reenforce the we are the world theme. On account of this, they try sending an astronaut from each country there to put there respective flags on the moon. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like as good an anti-Soviet publicity stunt as any.

And if you wanted to make it Uber unrealistic in its wankishness, have everyone but the Romanian astronaught not survive the trip, so only he gets to land on the moon:eek:. Muahahah:p

Zagan

Donor
Hi.
I made a mistake by not searching first and I started a new topic about the same subject. I am sorry. Please accept my appologies. I am new here.
The topic is: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=351824
I have lots of time and ideas and I would like to start a full-fledged AH.
What should I do?
- Start to post here and get feed-back;
- Ignore this and continue in my topic to get feed-back there;
Thank you.

Hi.
I made a mistake by not searching first and I started a new topic about the same subject. I am sorry. Please accept my appologies. I am new here.
The topic is: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=351824
I have lots of time and ideas and I would like to start a full-fledged AH.
What should I do?
- Start to post here and get feed-back;
- Ignore this and continue in my topic to get feed-back there;
Thank you.

Don't worry about it - from my POV either option is good, although, going by how zealous some mods here tend to be, you might be safer writing in the thread you started.

Although, to be fair, putting forward your ideas in this one would also be well within the rules IMHO, although I'm no Mod, so don't take my word for it.

Lastly, what do you think about my scenario?

Zagan

Donor
Don't worry about it - from my POV either option is good, although, going by how zealous some mods here tend to be, you might be safer writing in the thread you started.

Although, to be fair, putting forward your ideas in this one would also be well within the rules IMHO, although I'm no Mod, so don't take my word for it.

Lastly, what do you think about my scenario?

Ok.
1. I will use my thread. I will not post here any more if not forced to. (my thread gets closed for example)
2. Your scenario is a good / useful start, but it is only a draft (I am planning for something way more elaborated) and the "wank" is way too little for my "pleasure".
So:
3. Thank you
4. Please watch my thread if you are interested and please help if possible. I really apreciate ideas / comments / criticism.
5. Greater Romania actually existed in OTL. I do not want a bit greater Greater Romania. I want a Gigantic Romania.

Last edited: