Terra Nova Viridis (Roman New World)

1_1.png

He stood at the aft of the ship, his eyes constantly on the alert for deceit , his hands never far from his sword hilt always at the ready. His kept note of everyone on the deck and only moved from his spot when someone was gone too long. Usually he found them slacking off, drinking, gambling, and on the odd occasion fornicating. It was a quite night, like most nights nowadays, there was the Venetis at the helm, the Samnite hurling over the broadside ,and the Lustitani boy above tending the sails . Finding nothing out of the ordinary he exhaled a sigh of relief.

It’s finally over isn’t it? We can live in peace now.

He smiled to himself, for up until a week ago the words seem so alien to him . It was only a week ago that he was able believe those words himself . The sea was rough in the storm so he had not slept well the night before and for a brief moment he yawned taking his eyes off the deck . When he opened his eyes , he froze. For it seemed the heavens themselves been overturned; several constellations were missing and the rest had warped from their eternal seats in heaven. It seemed to him that they had even fled the gods themselves, and at that moment he knew.

It really is a new world

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------

Gazing upon the stars in his hemlock, he pondered all that he left behind. He would’ve preferred the deck with it’s wide view and occasional breeze, even if it meant being soaked by the first rain.

But there was the eerie gaze of the giant Gaul. [1]

He thought, pretending to barf

Typical barbarian, unwashed, unshaved, and uneducated.

Of course he himself had all three in perfection. Well, all but the first lately. First thing he learned about seafaring was that water is a luxury. Still he had vehemently insisted on proper baths , as it was only natural for any true Roman. He had paid for sails made to catch rainwater, he personally commissioned a water ship, he even complained to Quintus Sertorius himself! Still in the end he was forced to relent and bathe in a net overboard.

What’s the point of bathing if you’re covered in salt afterwards? I miss the public baths of Rome. *Smirk* It's probably the only thing I miss about Rome.

Still the Gaul giant wasn’t so bad, for he had foiled no less than 6 attempts on Quintus’ life, including one by an Ilergetae war chief. Even now at the end of the world he still has a food taster.[2]

Oh what would we do without that barbarian beast? Well I suppose I’d have to guard Quintus.

It was odd how he had accepted the Gaul, they couldn’t have been more different. He was born in a wealthy family, his mother Carthaginian and father Roman. He was rich, the Gaul only the clothes on his back. He was educated by the finest teachers in Syracuse, the Gaul couldn’t even read. He grew up in a house of plenty, the Gaul was an escaped slave. But yet they were both loyal to Quintus, and there was a certain feeling of camaraderie in that.

It’s odd how he can unite people . It’s something about him, a certain fire in his eyes. He bested dozens of armies from Rome. Clouds change course at the sound of his voice. Hell the goddess Diana herself gifted him a white fawn with clairvoyance. Well, we tell them it’s clairvoyarrrrhhh! *Yawn* clairvoyance anyways.

It was late and they’re about to hit landfall any day now, he didn’t want to sleep past that.

[1] Gaul was a literal roman translation for foreigner, not necessarily referring to ethnicity.
[2]Ilergetae is a tribe that inhabits the northern region of Barcelona, they were only briefly mentioned in Sulla’s memoirs as turncoat allies of Quintus Sertorius’ Hispanic republic.

For any grammatical or anachronistic mistakes I've made please pm me instead of posting here, just a general attempt to reduce the clutter.

Last edited:
Divergence:
High upon Mount Olympus

Hey Zeus what are you doing?

Oh you know the usual; cheating on Hera, making godlings behind Hera, and hiding from Hera.

What godling did you sire this week?

A cat.

What?!

Yeah I figure I’d try something new and the cat was next on the list.

You mean you-

Yeah I made a cat out of clay and water, and gave it super-feline abilities. It purrs at twice the volume of a normal cat, in fact it can't stop purring.

Oh… I thought you meant that…

Oh no, I already plowed like 40 men , women, and bulls this week. I’m spent, hey you wanna shoot some lightening bolts with me?

Uh sure, though jogging’s more my thing.

Ah don’t worry it’s easy you just pick it up and-

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Did you just hit a son of Minerva?

Ugh I didn’t mean it! I-it-it just happened so fast.

Ok look it’s probably nothing, if your mother asks say that it was Hades .

Meanwhile back on earth.

The guards were scrambling like ants, converging on the room where lighting struck. The first thing they noticed was the overwhelming smell of burnt flesh followed by the sizzling corpse of a charred man. A quick inspection revealed that he did not belong in the villa and that he was carrying two daggers, fused into his hands. Still they were professionals and they pulled themselves from the ghastly scene to their client who seems to have been thrown into a pile of wicker baskets.

Marcus! Marcus! Are you alright?

Trying to stand up and stumbling the man in the pile of wicker baskets responded in a choked voice.

Yes… But my mouth tastes like smoke. And how many times do I have to tell you, call me by my full title.

I’m sorry, Marcus Livius Drusus . Tribune of the Socii, are you alright?

*****For those of you who are more uptight about these things I'd say that assassinations are chancy things prone to disruptions*****
*****Or I can write according to popular mythology before this.*****

Last edited:
The assassin didn’t sleep well that night; or rather he didn’t sleep at all.

Oh dear Jupiter! He thought is this your punishment for my deceit?

It was supposed to be a simple job, he and two others were to kill Quintus Sertorius and live rich ever after. It seemed easy enough, for Quintus had absolute faith in his freed slaves. He believed that the ones that stayed were loyal.

I just didn’t have anywhere to go to.

He had been approached by a Greek merchant with a proposition, for those… Otherwise inclined. And after a few mugs, a pair of ebony girls, and receiving a sizable advance he had agreed to slay the Tyrant of Hispania.

Sure I’m grateful for my freedom, but that was then and this is now. I certainly didn’t want to die fighting legionnaires in the icy Pyrenees, or end up crucified in Gaul. And when you think about it , the Romans came back every year with a dozen or two legions while Quintus fought with a third or a quarter as many. It didn’t take a genius to see where things were going; his luck was going to run out, even if he was brilliant. I know a hopeless cause when I see it, I picked the winning side.

But it certainly didn’t seem like it now. It started with the Gaul. The Gaul made him uncomfortable; for it seemed as if the Gaul could see right through his intentions. It felt as if he was about to slip up at any moment

Argh! But it seemed so easy; Quintus was like a honey-bee. He ate with the bees, he bathed with the bees, and he was always working. But that damned Gaul giant, he was always watching. I’m pretty sure that the three of us combined couldn’t kill him.

Of course he never liked the original plan of stabbing Quintus; he had planned to poison Quintus after proving his loyalty.

Ahaheheh. I came just in the nick of time he said! You saved my life he said! Of course I came in the nick of time! I was one of the assassins. I knew that we couldn’t kill the Gaul so I slayed the others. I will get three times the reward later and I tied up all the loose strings.

That’s when things started to go downhill, the next day Quintus came to him speaking about a fresh start, away from the worries of the world, and offered him a place in it. Fearing that it was a test of his loyalty, he accepted thinking it was just a ruse. Of course it wasn’t, he was moved to new quarters by the sea, isolated and constantly watched by his peers. The site was impressive, nested in a cove hidden from the elements and wandering eyes, there was enough provisions for ten times the garrison, and all of this seemed recently constructed in the last ten years or so.

I told my Greek friend about the shipyard, about all the nighttime departures the Venetii sailors were making. But he wouldn’t believe me, thinking it was an excuse for my lack of progress and to extract more gold. He asked me what idiot would set the Hispanic fleet in the Atlantic when battles raged in the Mediterranean. Oh well I certainly wasn’t going to do anything for free, and once I poison Quintus wouldn’t need to work ever again.

But he never got the chance to poison Quintus, word came by that the Romans were past the Pyrenees and the site was locked down. There was a feeling of doom in the air; everyone knew what the Romans did to the Guals and the Veneti. All the ships in dock were loaded with provisions and they set sail as soon as Quintus arrived.

I knew something was wrong the day we received the news, they loaded what they could and burned the rest. They even tore down the buildings to make a barge for the ashes and burned it out at sea, I think I even saw a few of the caravaneers that supplied us. You don’t do that unless you’re not planning to stay, but there was nowhere left to run. The Romans were to the north, east and south. Something was very wrong here.

Now trapped on a boat full of Quintus lapdogs, he was pretty sure he would never see Rome again. There was no reason to kill Quintus anymore, he was too far along, swept along by that the whirlwind of that man’s ambition.

At least I still have my gold.

Last edited:
I would appreciate comments on the writing style, content-wise I won't be able to please everyone but I can at least improve my style.

The gods were dying…

It had been years now since the defeat at the sons of Mars and the survivors slain, enslaved, or forced to convert. Deprived of worshipers the Gallic gods were slowly fading into obscurity. The presence of the Olympians was overwhelming now and threatened to absorb them all, rivaled only by their twins further east. Those with worshipers beyond the Rhine or Pyrenees had managed to survive, although greatly diminished in strength. Faced with oblivion some grieved, some despaired, while the rest secluded themselves in their distractions. Genius Cucullatus was not one of them.[1]

As midnight dawns, Genius heard the voices again; the nostalgic feeling of worship, calling Genius to the west. It was faint at first, but the allure grew every day. There was something different about the calling, something new , like the smallest hint of spice that one cannot determine but detect.

Tonight, he will make the journey west and grace his new worshipers.

[1] Old world records were very obscure on Genius Cucullatus (Hooded one). Most statues and figures depicted a hooded figure covered from head to toe with the rarer few that depict the hood pushed back. The gender was often indeterminate, with some depicting him with a mustache and some depicting her with breasts. Often Genius’ role is implied by his/her equipment (such as a sword for guardian/war) and the other statues he/she is found with. Not to be confused with the Roman godling Telesphorus, who usually appeared bare-footed, holding a scroll in hand. Personally I was enchanted by the mystery and I felt the ambiguity was excellent for a new start.

The man was ecstatic, waiting gleefully in anticipation. He felt like a child about to receive a present, for just the yesterday a fast ship sailed in port bring news of an inbound armada. It was unexpected, the next ship wasn’t supposed to arrive until the end of the season, nor do they often come as more than a single ship.

Oh I hope they brought more apples this time.

The ships usually brought essentials, tools, books, and seeds; whatever
Quintus, the Carthaginian or the Legate felt they needed. They had been told by the Legate not to eat the seed stocks that arrived by ship, only what they made and the millet that came with every ship. But the man had managed to swipe an apple when no one was looking.

That apple was delightful, so sweet and juicy. Unlike the millet and fish we have every day. I think it has been over 2 seasons since my last apple. Oh I wish the apple trees would bear fruit soon.

It came as quite a surprise to the men that they were able to graft the wilting sapling when they first arrived. For many crops fail to take root in these virgin soils, many more spoiled on the journey, and of those that took root often grew poorly. But food was never a large concern, when they first arrived they found the warm waters teeming with all kinds of strange and exotic fish. Thinking back it must have been 6 solar cycles since the last time he felt hunger.

Cucullatus must have been watching over us back then. For it must have been his will that we found Taie and his family. Poor savage, not a silver to his name, owning little more than his canoe, hut and some stone tools. Yet he knew where all the fishes were, he knew what was edible and what wan’t, and unlike the others he didn’t seem to fear them.

When they first reached the island marked out by the previous expeditions, things were in dire straits. The journey had taken much longer than expected, as they approached the warmer waters to the south the clouds fled and the winds died. And for weeks the ship stood there, basking under the scorching sun. They caught all the fish they could, but it wasn’t enough and the Legate was having difficulty keeping the seed stocks from thieves. By the time the wind finally picked up the men were weak from hunger and thirst. They would’ve given the clothes on their back for some crumbs, of course there was no one to trade with. Most of the indigenous hid or ran and when they chased them down they refused to help.

All except Taie. Rather he approached us in his canoe, gesturing, pointing, with the occasional verbal reinforcement. The Legate ordered the the ship to a halt and a ladder lowered for the stranger. Once aboard he seemed to ignore us completely and proceeded to examine every detail of the ship. He seemed fascinated about the most moot things; a bucket here, a barrel there. As he moved about the ship there seemed to be an invisible halo around him that the crew avoided as he darted from one thing to the next. The Legate elbowed his way past the crew to greet him.

Legate : Heus piscator! Cives Hispania sumus. Amicus aut inimicus?

Greetings fisherman! We are citizens of Hispania. Are you friend or foe?

It seemed Taie only understood that the Legate wanted his attention, and proceeded to set down the brush he was investigating. He turned to the Legate and gave him a quizzical look.

The Legate tried again in Greek, then Punic, then two types of Celtic.

Nothing.

The legate asked some of the crew to try their languages.

Nothing.

But Taie seemed patient, listening intently to every word they said. Eventually it was the Veneti navigator’s turn. Like all the others, Taie listened intently but showed no indication of understanding. But he seemed to have recognized something the Veneti said.

Numu! Numu! Numu!
He shouted.

Clasping his hands together he went back to his canoe. He came back a moment later with a fish he caught, he held out the fish and pointed repeatedly at a bucket. Then he picked up the bucket, held it outside the ship and acted as if he was bailing water inside. Taie then looked towards the crew, repeating his gesture frantically.

He recognized something familiar in Taie, he had the same fire in his eyes that he once saw in Quintus. It was as if he was waiting for them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------

The hooded one sighed. It was unexpected, disappointing perhaps. It had taken the hooded one great exertion to cross the vast oceans to the west, even more to avoid the attention of the underwater Olympian. Perhaps the hooded one expected a reward befitting the exertion, perhaps the hooded was weaker than he had realized , or perhaps the local deities were trying to expel the intruder.

No, the hooded one couldn’t sense anything, not even the faintest presence of the almighty Olympians. There were no gods but there were mortals, thousands of mortals scattered far and wide like the woodsmen of Britannia [1]. The mortals had no advanced knowledge or common language, nothing to sustain the numbers and unity to needed to concentrate their worship and empower gods.

Perhaps I can change that….

Still, that was a thought for another time. Weak and hungering for worship, the hooded one glided towards the settlement and was at once struck with a feeling of disappointment. The mortals only numbered two thousand or less, miniscule compared to the average Gallic settlement. Of the two thousand only about a quarter were worshipers, the others wasting their worship on dead or absent gods.

I need to change this too.

Still bound by a sense of pride, the hooded one felt obligated to reward the worshipers.

I’m still too weak to do much, but I can still paint.

Humming, the hooded one willed the sea water to rise . Once the hooded one was satisfied with the height of the water, he willed the winds to dance, scattering the water into tiny droplets. Then, truly exhausted, the hooded one yawned, adding a single white cloud to the sky and fell into a deep slumber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far below, the inhabitants of the settlement awoke to find the sun rising under the arch of the most radiant rainbow, a greeting befitting Apollo himself. As they gazed on in wonder, the silhouettes of ships appeared
in the center of the rainbow.

[1] Despite its abundant fertility, the land of Britannia was undeveloped at the time and the population was extremely low.

* Records for the post-Columbian period are sketchy at best. The natives Columbus had met were the Carib and the Taino, semi-agricultural people who were also recent arrivals (roughly 1200 CE). Going further back to the time of the TL (roughly 1st century BCE) the evidence is scarce due to both the time and the simplicity of the Clovis natives. The Clovis themselves reached the tip of South America by 11000 BCE, so there was plenty of time for the population to grow, though insufficient time for large organized societies by 60 BCE. Also the POD of this timeline occurs in 91 BCE in Rome, insufficient time to influence events in the Americas giving it no reason to deviate from OTL.

Given the evidence that inland Clovis sites in the American Mid-West are younger than those at the tip of Chile , it indicates that the Clovis people were capable of migration by water, and actually spread faster coastally than inland. Therefore it is almost guaranteed that the Caribbean, where our Romans and friends settled would be populated by the seafaring Clovis.

Last edited:
Nova Viridis Terra is accurate, but I think Latin grammar also allows "Terra Nova Viridis," which has a better flow to it.

Thanks, I was just going on a dictionary without understanding the grammar.
Also I'm thinking on redoing the last post, the discovery portion seemed a bit dragged out to me

Last edited:
The Veneti captain was flustered, both his pride and fear invoked. It had been “suggested” to him by the Carthaginian that Quintus Sertorius would take the helm for the approach to port as a symbolic gesture.

What impudence! What foolishness!

No proper Veneti captain would relinquish the helm of his own ship.

No proper Veneti captain would risk his ship or crew unnecessarily, especially with his family on board.

All the bickering on the bridge attracted the attention of the man himself. Patiently he listened and with naught but a few words proposed a compromise. He would stand upon the mast in full view and the rest of the fleet would slow allowing his ship into port first.

The Carthaginian was begrudgingly brilliant, indispensable, but seamanship was not his forte. Ugh how many times have I endured his naivety, his arrogance.

Still as if sensing the tension the man gave a stern look with his eyes, making it clear that there was to be no more discussion on the subject. After the man donning his signature helmet, with the wings of an eagle woven into the sides, the man ascended up the mast.

Standing high on the mast all attention in the dock and fleet was focused on Quintus Sertorius.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen.
We, are, home!

Last edited:
HEE, HURAH, HEH!

On top of the the pyramid, The Ajaw stood. Basking in the chants of his people [1]

HEE, HURAH, HEH!

He had conquered everything, only the city-state of
Tulan Zuyua remained unconquered in the highlands.

HEE, HURAH, HEH!

People lived and died by his whim. Leaders from the furthest tribes came to pay tribute.

HEE, HURAH, HEH!

He was all powerful, he was invincible.

HEE, HURAH, HEH!

But then why the unease? Why the strange dreams? For several nights now the Ajaw has had ominous dreams of colossal wooden fishes from the land of the sun, men clothed in fish scales, donning pots on their heads, and eagles, lots of eagles.

What does it mean?

And as if in response, a cold breeze rolled in from the East causing the Ajaw to shiver.

[1] Ajaw is the Mayan term for despot.

Last edited:
Personally I think the name Tulan Zuyua was more likely to be the city's actual name than Kaminaljuyu. There's a chance it'd be anachronistic, but it's still Pre-Columbian whereas Kaminaljuyu is the Quiche (different ethnic group than the ones who'd be dwelling within and ruling at this time) name from the modern days meaning "mound of the ancestors".

Personally I think the name Tulan Zuyua was more likely to be the city's actual name than Kaminaljuyu. There's a chance it'd be anachronistic, but it's still Pre-Columbian whereas Kaminaljuyu is the Quiche (different ethnic group than the ones who'd be dwelling within and ruling at this time) name from the modern days meaning "mound of the ancestors".

Quite possible, most of my material is post-Columbian. I'll have to look into that.