Single Stage to Orbit spacecraft and spaceplanes a reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What PODs could have given humans one or more commonly used STTO spacecraft designs during the space age?

There were/are apparently lots of designs and prototypes such as the Venturestar, Skylon (which is currently being developed), MIG-105 and many more.

Even Britain had designed a few. Why didnt any of these projects really take off? Why did the USA and Soviet Union consider the space shuttle and rockets a better idea?

The reason for multi-stage launchers is because of weight. After a section is empty of fuel it is nothing but dead weight and it makes more sense to drop it than expend even more fuel carrying it into space with you. For airplanes that can just fly into space, the main advantage is that you can use less thrust since you're lifting it the same distance over greater time, but because of horizontal movement you're going to be traveling further and taking up more drag which means more fuel used which means more weight, and if it's single stage then you're carrying empty fuel tanks again...

Wasn't the main cause of failure of X-33 was that NASA insisted on it having a composite fuel tank? Wouldn't it work with a metal one?

Butterfly Kennedy away and you probably will see SSTO following a linear descent from the X-15 that was the original plan, Kennedy screwed this up by insisting on getting to the moon now. Failing that NERVA and Orion are always fun.

Butterfly Kennedy away and you probably will see SSTO following a linear descent from the X-15 that was the original plan, Kennedy screwed this up by insisting on getting to the moon now. Failing that NERVA and Orion are always fun.

Uh, no it wasn't. The Apollo and Mercury programs were started under Eisenhower; the "original plan" (for NASA--not addressing any ideas von Braun et. al. might have had previously) was to use Mercury to test out human spaceflight on short duration flights, then proceed to Apollo Block I orbital flights around the middle of the decade (essentially in the Gemini role), construct a space station, and send someone around the Moon by 1970. A Moon landing by 1975, maybe, if the money could be found. You can read all about it here and here. About the most you could have seen was ending up with a lifting body Apollo or some such instead of the OTL ballistic design, but even that seems unlikely due to development risks inherent in something novel like the lifting bodies or lenticular designs.

NERVA (and NTRs in general) suffer from the difficulty of very low T/W ratios compared to chemical rockets. A good kerolox engine, like the NK-33, can achieve a T/W ratio of over 100, while even a LOX-Augmented NTR diluted to the point where it has an ISP no higher than hydrolox engines might be able to achieve one of 10-15. Because of gravity losses, that makes NTRs much less efficient for launch than chemical engines, and with all of the "nuclear" problems to boot.

As for Orion, well, IAN probably said it best in his essay on the gateway, here. There are a number of fundamental problems with the design that make it not nearly as useful as might initially be assumed or believed in the 1960s.

As for the OP, I believe that having an operational reusable SSTO by today is very unlikely to happen. SSTO performance figures tend to be pretty marginal, and sensitive to unexpected weight gains (there are always unexpected weight gains). TSTO might be somewhat more possible, for the reasons stated by karl2025, but the real fundamental limiter to these sorts of reusable spacecraft is simple lack of demand; there aren't enough satellites and payloads being launched for a "space shuttle" to make sense economically. You would really need to change the whole history of spaceflight to make it so that there was, and probably affect related fields. For instance, you could push back masers/lasers so that fiber optics are developed later meaning that the giant 1990s comsat consellations don't get undercut by that right away, for instance--you were talking about well over a thousand satellites needing to be launched, which is more than enough to get one or two reusable launch systems going.

Tizoc said:
Wasn't the main cause of failure of X-33 was that NASA insisted on it having a composite fuel tank? Wouldn't it work with a metal one?

X-33 yes, VentureStar no. The thing about X-33 was that it was a subscale suborbital tech demonstrator. If it had "worked" but showed that the techs needed for the operational vehicle didn't, then NASA would have ended up with a very expensive, fully reusable, SST...suborbit vehicle. Nothing much better than a Redstone, really.

Ironstark said:
But why were there so many projects that just got abandoned? I counted over 15.

Various reasons. Some of them were never really projects at all, like the ROMBUS stuff and most of Phil Bono's designs, just something someone came up with and speced out, then tried to shop around; some were killed for political or budgetary reasons (many projects died due to the end of the Cold War); some suffered from unforeseen technical problems, like the X-33 (well, that one was foreseen, just not by management). Most SSTO ideas fall into the first category--they were simply the work of some dreamer or other, and they couldn't convince anyone that what they had was dynamite, or it didn't fit with what their country was doing at that time.

Barring some huge breakthrough in specific impulse, the best trick I can see for simplifying a launch to orbit is to make use of the atmosphere somehow. But orbital speeds are in the ballpark of Mach 27 or so, whereas the best anyone has demonstrated in the way of using air to assist in the thrust rather than merely be an obstacle is perhaps Mach 10, and that's a stretch. A simple ramjet is good up to somewhere around Mach 3.

So, unless we can devise scramjets (or other devices that seem even more dubious to me, like the notion of ramming in hypersonic air, liquefying it:eek:, and then using that for oxidant/reaction mass (80 percent of its mass will be nitrogen after all) in a rocket engine--other people here take it seriously but I can't imagine how one could shed that heat that fast, and dumping the heat means dumping energy which translates as drag) that can have us cheerfully breathing air all the way up to orbital speeds, at some point we have to go over to using a rocket, in the sense that we have to haul along the oxidant as well as fuel, anyway. If that stage can be far enough along then we might consider hauling the fuel tankage for the lower, fuel-only, stage, plus the doubtless heavier airbreathing engines, though this means carrying more fuel and more oxidant and heavier engines to deliver more thrust. But even if we could get up to say Mach 15, which would very significantly reduce the mass of propellent needed to go from there to full orbital velocity, it would seem more sensible to separate the upper stage from the atmospheric lower stage and thus minimize the weight of the upper stage. Thus even if we did have really nifty airbreathing engines that could take us more than halfway to orbit, we'd still probably want to have two stages. I'd think that the lower stage could fly itself back to base as a reusable stage, so both stages could at least be reusable, though you might want to actually make only the actual return module of the upper one reusable since fuel tankage as such is probably pretty cheap to replace. Or, leave it in orbit and use it as building material for a space station.

If we could have some sort of airbreathing solution that went all the way up to full orbital velocity, then that might be viable as a single stage system I guess.

But given that in reality even pushing a scramjet up to Mach 10 (if it even went that high) was a stunt and trying to push the envelope of useful airbreathing into higher hypersonic speeds is probably going to be tough sledding--well, all the back-of-the envelope figuring I've ever done assuming that say Mach 3 is the effective upper limit of jet propulsion, or even stretching it to say Mach 5, shows that the benefits of gaining in effect much higher specific impulse for a small portion of the flight are very easily offset assuming the engines or the aerodynamic compromises one has to make weigh a lot more than the simple rocket alternatives that try to simply brute-force their way past the atmosphere as a pure nuisance. So I'm not so surprised that in real life all space missions have in fact gone on pure rocket drive without even an attempt to make an airbreathing lower-atmosphere booster stage or two.

Given that, the wisdom of staged operations is as karl2025 said; staging helps keep the overall propellent/payload ratio down.

I should point out that one of your list of "single-stage" craft, the MiG, was a prototype for the Soviet Spiral concept, and it was definitely not single-stage--it was one of those ambitious airbreathing lower stage, rocket upper stage things. It never flew into orbit, possibly because it was impossible then and is still impossible to get the sort of hypersonic airspeeds the lower stage of the concept needed to make sense. And even if it could have worked we'd be looking at one very gigantic hypersonic airplane, if it were going to boost any significant mass into orbit. I suppose off the top of my head one might get something the mass of the SSO into orbit with maybe half or even a third of the total all-up launch weight, if the hypersonic airplane part could go fast enough, but even 1/3 of a Shuttle's all up launch weight is still 700 tons! It would be up the Russian alley to make an airplane that massive, conceivably. To make it hypersonic, with all the severe compromises of low-speed performance that entails and correspondingly high takeoff speeds required and corresponding long runways....:eek: Especially bearing in mind that except for that NASA scramjet test no one has operated any sort of aircraft at the sorts of airspeeds we'd need to get the upper stage weight down as dramatically as I've supposed, except returning reentry capsules aerobraking--these aren't "airplanes", even the Shuttle being known to its pilots as the "Bionic Brick." To make a launch stage capable of fairing the orbital upper rocket stage into itself and surviving the separation/launch of it and flying its insanely expensive self back to base for reuse--well, it's harder than making a subsonic jet of the same mass, which is itself a challenge the aeronautical world has not yet risen to.

Could those wacky Soviets have actually done it in the 1970s? I have my doubts the Russians, or we, or anyone, could do it now. And it would not be cheap!

Anyway Spiral and Mig-105 were definitely not single stage!
----
Mind you, if we could only make some kind of airbreathing engine that could take us all the way from takeoff to orbital speeds, we could get tremendous improvements. Using the heat from hydrogen-oxygen burning with high efficiency, bearing in mind that for every oxygen molecule we intake we get 4 nitrogen molecules along for the ride so the exhaust speed will be something like half what a pure oxy-hydrogen rocket's would be but the mass is four times as great, bearing in mind we aren't hauling oxygen so all we need to carry is hydrogen--the effective impulse is in the ballpark of an equivalent velocity of our propellant of 14,000 instead 3000, and we only need to burn up about half the launch mass instead of 95 percent of it! 100 tons to orbit needs a takeoff mass of maybe 200 tons then.

But I've made so many handwaves it's practically ASB. For one thing I neglected the weight of the engines, for another the structural weight of an airplane that can take flying in atmosphere (and taking in air for the engines) at Mach 27 and somehow avoid getting vaporized, with a fuselage full of hydrogen. For another of course no one has come close to demonstrating engines that can possibly operate in that regime, and if we could make them they almost certainly would not work at takeoff so we'd need a whole other engine system to get up to say Mach 3 (if scramjets can even light up at that speed! I picked 3 because that's the sort of speed an SR-71 could reach on its engines) or more. Even at a petite 200 tons its still a lot heavier than any supersonic aircraft that has ever flown and of course it has to be even worse at subsonic performance than the SR-71 or B-70 ever was, and they were bad enough in that regime.

So, unless we can devise scramjets (or other devices that seem even more dubious to me, like the notion of ramming in hypersonic air, liquefying it:eek:, and then using that for oxidant/reaction mass (80 percent of its mass will be nitrogen after all) in a rocket engine--other people here take it seriously but I can't imagine how one could shed that heat that fast, and dumping the heat means dumping energy which translates as drag)

LACE and the like have the advantage of having actually been tested...although not flown, admittedly. Still, hardly anything scramjet wise has actually been done outside of the lab. The Skylon people are also making a pretty good go of precooled jets (a very similar technology) and maybe LACE in the future. It seems it's actually quite a bit easier to do that than build a scramjet, maybe because you're not trying to contain a thrusting reaction in a Mach 5+ airstream. At all. And we can build structures that can survive in high-Mach environments, of course, especially with active cooling (which is what precooled jet engines and LACE do--they're like turning a rocket engine around, then funneling the result through a rocket).

Also, remember that there are (several?) launch systems that rely on airlift for use. The Pegasus is certainly the best known, and pretty popular for its niche (lifting small payloads that need to be in specific orbits, rather than tossed into whatever orbit the payload you're hitchhiking on is going into). There have been others proposed for various purposes which had their airlifters be strictly subsonic, merely serving to get a booster out of most of the atmosphere. Of course, they generally didn't have much payload, but it's still more than nothing.

Anyways, there's another, bigger problem for airlift, and that's that jet engines and the like tend to have pretty awful T/W ratios (just like NTR). This is less of an issue if you're using aerodynamic lift heavily, since you don't have to hold the whole vehicle up on thrust, but it's still an issue, and it will lead to higher gravity losses. Note that increasing your speed generally decreases your Lift/Drag ratio, so you generate less and less lift for how fast you're going, and therefore need more and more thrust to keep yourself up (of course, you're also getting lighter due to propellant consumption, but still). For instance, the Space Shuttle has an L/D of 4.5 on approach, but just 1 during its hypersonic flight phase! And this is a huge hypersonic L/D ratio by the standards of any flown vehicle, most have much much less.

If you weren't going SSTO, and just wanted reuseable, would designing the intermittent stages to be piloted and landable be acceptable?

I.e. a Saturn 5m is launched (m for manned). The first stage is jettisoned, and the pilot controls its descent back to earth, so it lands near the launch site. Ditto for 2nd and third stages. This means it will have to launch vertically rather than horizontally, but it also means it can be launched from anywhere in the world without worrying about who is east.

This will require additional mass per stage for the cockpit, landing equipment, aso, but it means the Saturn 5m can be launched over and over. The engines and tanks will have to be designed to be reused rather than expended, but it gives you a 50-ton LEO craft (original Saturn was 119 tons, I am halving it to account for the other stuff).

Advance metallurgy should do the trick in the SSTO. After all, it's mostly an engineering problem not one involving the Laws of Physics.

Actually, the laws of physics are exactly the reason SSTOs aren't that feasible.

What I find more interesting is what SpaceX are going to try out, have the intermediate stages given a heat-shield coating and parachutes, so you can get back most of the rocket anyway (and knocking out the only leg SSTOs ever had to stand on).

NERVA (and NTRs in general) suffer from the difficulty of very low T/W ratios compared to chemical rockets. A good kerolox engine, like the NK-33, can achieve a T/W ratio of over 100, while even a LOX-Augmented NTR diluted to the point where it has an ISP no higher than hydrolox engines might be able to achieve one of 10-15. Because of gravity losses, that makes NTRs much less efficient for launch than chemical engines, and with all of the "nuclear" problems to boot.

I have a question. If you use a TSTO setup with an airplane as the first stage, could the plane get high enough to use an NTR as the second stage? Use the plane to get above most of the atmosphere, so you can do a horizontal burn with the NTR.

I ask because I've dug up some proposals for absolutely gigantic aircraft from the 60s, including one big enough to airdrop a Saturn-V.

Sure; with a big enough aircraft you can lift almost anything. Two problems:

1) The bigger the aircraft, the stronger the structure needs to be to withstand the stresses of flight. Eventually you reach a point beyond which an increase in size requires so much additional structural strength that it results in an actual loss of usable payload. For that size aircraft you're pretty close to that upper limit for most modern materials.

2) The bigger the aircraft, the larger the space it needs to take off and land. For the size being discussed here there are no facilities large enough to handle it; we'll have to build one. If there's an in-flight emergency and we have to put down somewhere other than our base we're screwed; we have to ditch in the ocean or belly land in the desert or some such, and salvage what we can afterward.

Sure; with a big enough aircraft you can lift almost anything. Two problems:

1) The bigger the aircraft, the stronger the structure needs to be to withstand the stresses of flight. Eventually you reach a point beyond which an increase in size requires so much additional structural strength that it results in an actual loss of usable payload. For that size aircraft you're pretty close to that upper limit for most modern materials.

I asked an aerodynamics engineer specializing in structures about this, and he said it wouldn't be a problem. <shrug>

2) The bigger the aircraft, the larger the space it needs to take off and land. For the size being discussed here there are no facilities large enough to handle it; we'll have to build one. If there's an in-flight emergency and we have to put down somewhere other than our base we're screwed; we have to ditch in the ocean or belly land in the desert or some such, and salvage what we can afterward.

They planned to either make it a seaplane, or use vertical jets for takeoff assistance. Also, the NASA documents were talking about using these for commercial cargo transport, so presumably they'd be modifying airports around the world to handle them. The space launch application was just something I thought of when I noticed their biggest design could handle a Saturn-V and a few million pounds of launch cradle.

They planned to either make it a seaplane, or use vertical jets for takeoff assistance. Also, the NASA documents were talking about using these for commercial cargo transport, so presumably they'd be modifying airports around the world to handle them. The space launch application was just something I thought of when I noticed their biggest design could handle a Saturn-V and a few million pounds of launch cradle.

Do you have a link to these NASA documents, by chance, particularly on NTRS?

Do you have a link to these NASA documents, by chance, particularly on NTRS?

Sure:

Large nuclear-powered subsonic aircraft for transoceanic commerce
Airbreathing nuclear propulsion: a new look
These focus on up 1,000- or 4,000-ton aircraft, but the graphs extend up to 10,000 tons.

Nuclear power for surface effect vehicles and aircraft propulsion
Discusses up to 10,000 ton vehicles, but it's a "here's what we're doing" paper for a conference, so there's not a lot of detail.

You can find tons of stuff on giant nuclear aircraft in the 1,000-ton range on NTRS just by searching for Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion. The 10,000-ton aircraft were something F. E. Rom and co. speculated on, but their focus was naturally enough on just trying to get anything nuclear-powered flying.

A TL that got this would probably need a PoD back in the 40s. Even if you could get the economics of giant nuclear transports to work - and I don't know if you could - you've got to deal with the crash risk. Rom & co. thought they could build crash-proof reactor vessels, and even tested a few on rocket-sleds. I'm not so sure about that, but maybe you could build reactors strong enough that any contamination would only be over a small area, and could be dealt with using surface removal techniques. In any event, you'd need to get rid of nuclear-phobia.

Eh, it's a long shot, I know. But it's just so darn cool... :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.