Splinters - Rommel Dies At Alam Halfa

Splinters - 1
Yes, I know, I need to work on Cato's Cavalry. But this damn thing popped into my head as I slogged my way through the slimy mud that is Epping Forest today. In the middle of the Battle of Alam Halfa Rommel was caught in a bombing raid and a bomb fragment only just missed him. What if that fragment had actually hit him? What would the consequences be?

===============================================

Before Alam Halfa Ridge, September 2nd, 1942

“The swine isn’t attacking!”

Lieutenant Gottfried Lehring looked at the map again whilst his commanding officer raged up and down the folding map table by the side of the command car. Field-Marshal Erwin Rommel was in a very bad mood. To be honest Lehring couldn’t blame him at all for that.

The attack was not going well. The plan had been to burst through the British minefields and then swing north to capture the ridge to the North-East. From there they’d slash through the British supply lines, pin the bulk of their army against the sea and dash for Alexandria. At least that had been the plan. Lehring hadn’t been sure that they had enough petrol to get to Alexandria, but there was always the chance of capturing a juicy British petrol dump.

To get there however, they had to get through the British – and they were not co-operating. Normally the British were extradinarily profligate with their armoured divisions, charging straight into range of the German anti-tank guns and losing the lot. However, their new commander seemed to have a better grip on affairs than their previous one, because this time the British tanks were stuck in hull-down positions on that damn ridge and had already beaten off one attack, whilst their artillery hosed the German forces with high explosive.

And all the time the RAF was in the air above them, bombing, strafing and making a total nuisance of themselves. Everyone was gaunt-eyed and miserable from lack of sleep and Lehring was getting very worried about the Field Marshal. He wasn’t a well man and he looked worse than ever today. He was also in a very bad mood. His subordinate commanders were dropping like flies – Von Bismark, the commander of the 21st Panzer Division was dead, whilst Nehring, the commander of the Afrika Korps had been badly wounded.

Rommel was now looking through his binoculars at the ridge again, muttering under his breath. Lehring watched him quietly – until he spotted movement out of the corner of his eye. Shit, more planes.

“Herr Feldmarshall! Another bombing raid!”

Rommel looked around and swore again as the first explosions started a few hundred yards away. “Take cover!” he bellowed and promptly threw himself into a slit trench to one side.

Lehring looked around wildly and then on impulse jumped into the same trench, causing Rommel to move to one side slightly. “Keep your head down boy,” he grunted.

“Yes sir,” shouted Lehring and then the bombs were on them, splitting the air with a series of concussive eruptions that left Lehring’s head ringing and covered him in fine powder.

When the explosions stopped he raised his head cautiously. The vehicles were almost unscathed, although an armoured car to one side had taken a direct hit and was burning fiercely. The rest of the staff were also starting to stir from whatever cover they’d been able to find.

“That could have been worse,” Lehring muttered as he climbed out of the trench and then brushed ineffectually at the dust. “Are you alright sir?”

Rommel did not reply and Lehring looked down into the trench again. The Field Marshal was hunched over at the bottom of it. He wasn’t moving.

“Sir?” Lehring called, as panic squirrelled its way across his stomach. “Are you alright?”

Rommel still made no response and Lehring jumped down into the trench and hurried over to him. “Sir!” He shook Rommel’s shoulder. There was no response at all. Lehring reached down and pulled him to one side carefully. A metal splinter that had to be at least 6 inches long was buried in Rommel’s right temple. His eyes were open and lifeless.

Lehring looked up into the face of Kompff, who was looking over the side of the trench and who seemed as panicked as Lehring felt. “Shit,” he whispered, “What the hell do we do now?”

Last edited:
NOTE: Thread title changed at OP request.

Thanks CalBear - I wrote the original title covered in flour after making pizza dough and in desperate need of a very cold beer. My brain cells were not therefore firing on all cylinders.
I have an idea about what happens next, but I have a question first - with Rommel dead, who would Hitler appoint in his stead? IIRC Guderian was still in bad odour with the Bohemian Corporal at the time.

Send smiling Albert Kesserling... :D

Or one of the exiled to a rest-home German General or Field Marshal for failing Der Fuehrer on the Eastern Front... :eek:

I don't think that Kesselring is seen by Hitler as a competent ground commander yet - that doesn't happen until the Italian campaign, when his prediction that Italy will capitulate comes true.
I don't think that he'd send Manstein or Balck or Model or even Hoth - they're all needed in Russia. The thing is that he'd need a major name to replace Rommel, who was a major name and a good propaganda tool. The more I think about it, the more that Guderian's name springs to mind, but is that feasible?

Hyperion

Banned
Before debating a replacement, I would try to consider the effect of Rommel being dead and how that will effect the outcome of the current battle.

Short term, for the next month or so, I would use whichever general is already on the ground in North Africa that is second to Rommel.

That and picking some bigwig or nobody to take over might not matter if the German line collapses without Rommel. Take into account him not giving orders, and the moral blow the German forces would likely suffer with him dead.

Before debating a replacement, I would try to consider the effect of Rommel being dead and how that will effect the outcome of the current battle.

Short term, for the next month or so, I would use whichever general is already on the ground in North Africa that is second to Rommel.

That and picking some bigwig or nobody to take over might not matter if the German line collapses without Rommel. Take into account him not giving orders, and the moral blow the German forces would likely suffer with him dead.

That's what I was also thinking. I'll put out another post hopefully today (Sunday).

Splinters - 2
Führerhauptquartier Werwolf, Ukraine, September 2nd, 1942

“Herr Generaloberst?”

Franz Halder looked up wearily from the pile of paperwork that he’d been struggling with for two hours. It had been a long and rather unpleasant day at Werwolf, the Fuhrers headquarters in the Ukraine. At least the summer heat was starting to ebb a bit. Adjusting his pinz-nez he looked at the officer who was standing at the entrance to his office. “What is it Elbing?”

“We’ve received a signal from Rommel’s headquarters Herr Generaloberst. We’ve, um, triple-checked it.”

Halder blinked. Elbing looked rather disconcerted, something that he’d never seen before on the man. “Why should you need to triple-check it?”

Elbing strode forwards and placed a message flimsy on the desk in front of him. “I’m afraid it’s bad news, Herr Generaloberst.”

Irritated, Halder looked down at the message. When he read what was on it he felt the blood draining from his face. “Is this...” he started to say before catching himself. “Yes, you triple-checked it. Damn it, I always knew that he took too many chances getting so close to the frontlines.”

Standing quickly Halder grabbed the flimsy and then his cap before stalking out of the cottage that was his office and then over towards the wooden cabin where Hitler was staying. As he approached the SS guards who were standing outside snapped to attention and then opened the door for him.

Inside Hitler was consulting a large map on one wall with Jodl and Keitel in close attendance. He was, once again, talking about the need to capture the oil fields around Maikop intact. As Halder entered he broke off his diatribe and looked at the head of OKH in surprise. “Something wrong Halder? You said that you were dealing with administrative matters today.”

“I was mein Fuhrer, but we’ve just received a priority signal from Egypt.” He looked down at it. “There was a bombing raid on Rommel’s headquarters today. Although Rommel took cover… he was killed by a bomb splinter. It was a chance in a million apparently.”

There was a long pause and then Hitler took his glasses off and sank down into a chair. “That’s very bad,” he said eventually. “He’s definitely dead?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“Damn it!” Hitler struggled to his feet again and then walked over to the map table. “How is the attack going in Egypt?”

“Not well mein Fuhrer. Apparently the British have changed tactics. Rommel was getting ready to assault the Alam Halfa position again – it seems to be more strongly held than we initially thought.”

Hitler grunted dismissively. “They’ll take it if they can show more unwavering determination. The British will fold.” He looked at Halder. “If Rommel is lost, who will take command in Egypt?”

Halder winced slightly. “Casualties have been high in the senior staff of Panzerarmee Afrika I’m afraid. Normally Nehring would take over, but he was badly wounded earlier on. Von Bismarck, the commander of the 21st Panzer division is dead – his vehicle hit a mine. That leaves the commander of the 15th Panzer division, von Vaerst.”

“Is he any good?” Hitler asked.

“He’s well regarded, but he’s never commanded anything larger than a Panzer division, mein Fuhrer.”

“I see,” said Hitler, folding his arms and glaring down at the map. “Send a message to him at once Halder. He is to continue the attack. That’s what Rommel would have wanted. Speaking of Rommel we’ll have to organise a state funeral for him. Goebbels will love that. Oh and who do we have who can replace him?”

“I’m not sure mein Fuhrer. I’ll draw up a list of candidates immediately. I must point out though that most of the more likely candidates are here on the Eastern Front.”

This brought Jodl into the conversation. “Now might not be the time to transfer any of our major commanders. We need our best people here.”

“How long will it take you to draw up that list Halder?” Hitler asked.

“I’ll start on it as soon as I pass your orders onto von Vaerst mein Fuhrer.”

“Good,” said Hitler as he and Jodl returned to the map on the wall.

Last edited:
Splinters - 3
Führerhauptquartier Werwolf, Ukraine, September 2nd, 1942

Halder placed his pinz-nez on the table and then leant back in his chair and rubbed his eyes tiredly. It was very late and he needed a lot of sleep. Unfortunately he was not looking forward to his eventual meeting with Hitler about Rommel’s replacement. He’d been working for hours on an initial list – and he did not think that Hitler would like his findings.

Germany’s best commanders were almost all tied up in the fighting in Russia. Manstein was the first name to leap to mind, but he was busy repelling that Soviet attack at Leningrad. There wasn’t a chance in hell that Hitler would release him. It was the same with Hoth. And Model.

So, he had to find someone who wasn’t on the active list just now, or who was presently serving in the West. Von Rundstedt had too much to do in France and besides had only been there since March. Besides, he wasn’t really a panzer expert. Hoepner was out as well, as he was busy suing for the restoration of pension rights after being sacked in January for retreating from in front of Moscow.

No, there was only one real candidate. Heinz Guderian. Who had also been dismissed for retreating in Russia. Of course, mused Halder as he replaced his pinz-nez, persuading Hitler that it had to be Guderian was going to be a major battle in itself.

He looked at the clock on the wall and wondered how things were going in Egypt. Von Vaerst ought to have gotten his orders hours ago.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Banned
Interesting so far.

I can't comment much until I see how things go further.

One thing I would say, if the battle taking place in Egypt goes worse for the Germans this time around, and the British find out Rommel is dead, this could well spell the doom of the Axis in North Africa some months sooner.

If the Germans take a moral blow, I would think this would give the British a major moral boost. Add to that the battle at Alam Halfa going worse for the Germans, and this might even give Churchill a few brownie points the next time he meets with Roosevelt and Stalin.

Hyperion

Banned
Sorry for a double posting

I've just checked on the all mighty wikipedia on this battle, and noted something interesting.

Even though the battle continued through September 2nd, Rommel apparently decided on the 2nd that his chances of winning where not good from the current position of the battle, and it would just add to his losses.

If Von Vaerst continues to attack for another day or so, even if he inflicts more casualties on the British forces, he could leave the German and Italian forces in a far worse position than OTL.

Sorry for a double posting

I've just checked on the all mighty wikipedia on this battle, and noted something interesting.

Even though the battle continued through September 2nd, Rommel apparently decided on the 2nd that his chances of winning where not good from the current position of the battle, and it would just add to his losses.

If Von Vaerst continues to attack for another day or so, even if he inflicts more casualties on the British forces, he could leave the German and Italian forces in a far worse position than OTL.

That's why I got so interested when I heard about Rommel's near miss from the bomb fragment, which happened before he decided to retreat. It's a POD from such a small but potentially significant event.

I am looking forward to a more massive British victory at El Alamain. Rommel's replacement is not going to have the chuptzpah to withdraw. The British destroy the Afrika Corps in early November 1942 and North Africa is secured earlier.

Hyperion

Banned
I am looking forward to a more massive British victory at El Alamain. Rommel's replacement is not going to have the chuptzpah to withdraw. The British destroy the Afrika Corps in early November 1942 and North Africa is secured earlier.

Though an OTL British victory, Alam Halfa actually had a relatively low casualty rate.

I don't really see the Germans and Italians collapsing by November, but the idea of them collapsing in December or January of 1943 isn't impossible.

Though an OTL British victory, Alam Halfa actually had a relatively low casualty rate.

I don't really see the Germans and Italians collapsing by November, but the idea of them collapsing in December or January of 1943 isn't impossible.

That moves up the timetable for the invasion of Italy. That would still consume most of 1943, so we don't get an earlier invasion of Normandy. So ITTL we don't get all that much of different WWII>

Splinters - 4
My wife is attending a wedding in Montana this week and as I'm still interviewing for jobs in London it's the first time that we've been apart for a week ever. I think that as a result I'm compensating for missing her horribly by writing a lot. No idea where all of this timeline has come from. :confused:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10pm Sept. 2nd, XIII Corps HQ, 8th Army.
Lieutenant-General Brian Horrocks scratched his chin and then permitted himself a small smile as he looked at the map. So far his first major battle as a corps commander was going well. Monty had told him that he was not to get mauled by Rommel and so far he had succeeded.

His forces on Alam Halfa ridge had so far beaten off two attacks by German tanks and although they’d lost a number of tanks themselves they were still in excellent shape. He was puzzled though. So far the German attacks had been poorly executed – more slowly and more hesitant than he had expected. One of his staff officers had made the excellent point that Rommel seemed to have the slows for once, a nice take on Abraham Lincoln’s comment about McClennan.

He paused. He’d heard a vehicle draw up outside his tent a few minutes earlier and now he heard voices outside. One of those voices was familiar and all of a sudden the tent flap opened to reveal Freddie de Guingard. His eyes were glittering and he was grinning fiercely. “Hello Jorrocks!”

“Hello Freddie. You look pleased with yourself. Should I be worried?”

De Guingard grinned even more fiercely and then removed his cap. “I have some good news for you Jorrocks. We’ve learnt that Rommel was in front of our lines this morning – and that he didn’t survive an air raid on his chaps.”

Horrocks froze in place, his jaw dropping open. “I beg your pardon?”

“Rommel is dead,” de Guingard grinned. “Good god, do you have any idea how long I’ve been hoping to say that? The bugger’s gone.”

“Are you sure?”

De Guingard sobered. “We’re sure. Our SLU rushed the news to us. Monty took it coolly but I could tell that he was a bit astonished by it.”

Horrocks nodded. “Well then – what now?”

“Depends on what whoever the Jerries replace Rommel with decides on. They’ve broken their heads on your chaps on the ridge. If they want to keep doing that then they’re more than welcome. What they should be doing is pulling back, as they’ve lost any chance of surprise. They don’t seem to be though.” He stepped over to the map on the table and gestured at it. Horrocks’ forces were mostly aligned along or behind the Alam Halfa ridge, with the exception of 7th Armoured, which was holding a blocking position to the South and 2nd New Zealand division to the West. “We know that he can’t move further east, as he doesn’t have the petrol. It’s the ridge or nothing – and your chaps are dug in there in depth.

“Monty wants you hold on the ridge, but to thin out your forces to the North just in case. If Rommel’s replacement keeps banging his head against the ridge then we have a chance to send heavier forces against his supply lines than the armoured cars that are making a nuisance of themselves at the moment.”

Horrocks looked at the map thoughtfully, checking the locations of his forces and their dispositions. “Freyberg’s chaps are well located,” he muttered as he pointed at the New Zealanders. “The only problem is that one of their brigades, the 132nd, is very green. Plus they don’t have any tanks.”

De Guingard smoothed his moustache out. “You have the 22nd and 23rd Armoured brigades on Alam Halfa ridge or next to it,” he said softly. “Monty was wondering if you need 8th Armoured brigade where it is now, not too far from 7th Armoured Division.”

Thinking furiously Horrocks nodded slowly. “I think that’s possible. I’ll order them to thin out their line tonight and pass through the 44th Division on the ridge. Then if the situation is right I’ll send them to Freyberg. I’ll tell him to use Kippenburgers chaps – 5th New Zealand brigade – and the 8th if we have a chance to close the gate behind the Africa Corps. The more I think about the less happy I am with using the 132nd brigade.”

11pm 2nd September, HQ Panzerarmee Afrika
“The eyes of the German people are with you in this hour of destiny.” Von Vaerst whispered the words quietly as he stared down at his own map. It had been a hellish day. He hadn’t slept properly for two days and by the sound of engines far ahead as well as the explosions in the distance there was little if any chance of him sleeping tonight as well. Oh and there was also the crushing weight of responsibility that had been dropped on his head that day as well.

He’d been horrified when the news had come through. He’d been preparing to step in as temporary commander of the Afrika Korps, but to be told that Rommel was dead and that he was in command of Panzerarmee Afrika had been a stunning blow.

He sighed heavily. The situation was not good. All the attacks against that bloody ridge had failed in the face of heavy British resistance, assisted by skilful use of their artillery and air force. Supplies of every sort, especially petrol, were in critically short supply. The soft sand that shouldn’t have been there also meant that what petrol they did have was being burned up too quickly.

The petrol was the thing that worried him the most. Their supply units were being shot up to the west by British armoured cars, which were swarming about like flies. Hard to swat those flies as well, they knew the ground too well. As things stood his units had 100km of fuel left – and that range was only accurate over good going. That bloody soft sand would cut it down.

If it was up to him he knew what to order – a retreat back to their own lines. They’d lost any chance of getting to Alexandria and the way that the British had started to fight he had a funny feeling that the rules of the Desert War had changed. This Montgomery fellow wasn’t like the others. He was making them fight on his terms, not theirs. He didn’t like that feeling.

But it wasn’t up to him. His orders from Hitler were unambiguous. He was to continue the attack. He rubbed his forehead in a combination of tiredness and despair. He had to order the attack. There was no way around it. He’d been in command for less than a day – damn it, why the hell had Rommel gotten himself killed? This would be his problem then.

Well, maybe it would work. The British had to have supply dumps behind that ridge somewhere. If they could force a gap and then inflict enough chaos to force a mobile battle that got into the Tommies rear areas… it was a slender straw to grasp at.

He looked back down at the message again. “The eyes of the German people are with you in this hour of destiny.”

Last edited: