Graphic novel: Jour J, "L'Imagination au pouvoir"

Hendryk

Banned
Jour J is a counterfactual graphic novel series and "L'Imagination au pouvoir?" (Power to imagination?) is the sixth volume to date (a seventh one is scheduled for next October).

Like most commercial AH, the Jour J series wouldn't meet AH.com's exacting standards, but most volumes are a fun read nonetheless and this one is the best so far. The POD: in May 1968, as Paris is in the throes of the student-led uprising, de Gaulle dies in a helicopter crash on his way to the military base at Baden-Baden (in OTL, he landed there safely). The sudden power vacuum causes the situation to degenerate; the rioters step up their actions and the military brass, freaking out, send in the tanks. However, the rioters have been issued with stolen rocket launchers and the attempt to bring the situation under control actually causes it to escalate into all-out civil war. The fighting lasts for two years, and when the dust settles, the Paris Commune is in place.

The story is set another three years later, in 1973, as the new regime settles in, under the leadership of Daniel Cohn-Bendit. A battle-scarred Paris is being rebuilt according to the Commune's rule "power to imagination" and crazy psychedelical buildings are sprouting from the ground. But for all the ambient utopia, it looks as though a new Thermidor is imminent, as a scheming François Mitterrand has schmoozed his way into the provisional government and looks set to take over once the Sixth Republic is officially proclaimed.

The intrigue revolves around a rogue special ops agent who was involved in the theft of the Banque de France's reserves in the midst of the chaos in 1968, and wants to get even with his former accomplices who left him for dead. It turns out he's an unwitting pawn of some well-placed people.

The story does a pretty good job of providing context without the kind of clumsy infodump often seen in commercial AH. The vistas of this alternate Paris are weird in an interesting and almost plausible way, and as always it's amusing to see how various historical figures fare in an ATL.

jour-j.jpg

Thande

Donor
Those buildings do look rather like what you'd find on your average sci-fi novel's cover from the 1960s...

Hendryk

Banned
Those buildings do look rather like what you'd find on your average sci-fi novel's cover from the 1960s...
You should see the seat of the provisional government, located where the Centre Pompidou is in OTL--it looks like something Frank Gehry might have come up with during a bad acid trip. The Elysée is unavailable as it's still held by die-hard Gaullist sympathizers, and the provisional government doesn't want to press the issue.

Er, Paris is France, to an extent.
so they took the entire country or just the city...cos even if they had the city, the real goverment couldve just bloacked them in, closed the river, starved them out as paris is full of buildings, not fields to grow food, lakes for water, etc

Hendryk

Banned
so they took the entire country or just the city...cos even if they had the city, the real goverment couldve just bloacked them in, closed the river, starved them out as paris is full of buildings, not fields to grow food, lakes for water, etc
It's not clear what the situation is in the rest of France, but one assumes that the new regime rules most if not all of it. There are mentions of the country's other large cities being battlegrounds in the civil war, and Pompidou, the former PM, is in exile in Switzerland.

I saw this announced when I was in France back in February; is the 7th tome that one about 1920's Paris in a Napoleonic Victory world?

Hendryk

Banned
Out of curiosity, is there an English translation for the novel?
I'm not aware of any translation being available for any of the six published albums to date. More's the pity, the success of commercial AH in English-speaking countries shows that the market is there.

Thande

Donor
I'm not aware of any translation being available for any of the six published albums to date. More's the pity, the success of commercial AH in English-speaking countries shows that the market is there.

Although the fact that the stories (naturally) seem to be mainly centred around France might be a bit of a barrier for some. The AH market is there, but a large part of it only cares if it involves the United States or the Nazis shooting things.

I should buy one of the volume at one of the nearby book store one of these day (saw them but let me say that only now fiscal situation look bright enough for it) although not that one

I wonder what would the architecture/urbanism enthusiast on the board would of that particular volume

Hendryk

Banned
Although the fact that the stories (naturally) seem to be mainly centred around France might be a bit of a barrier for some. The AH market is there, but a large part of it only cares if it involves the United States or the Nazis shooting things.
True, alas. It's not about the American Civil War, nor does it feature Nazis, so there goes the US market.

That's amazing. Can you feed us any more info, Hendryk?
About this story specifically? Well, it goes like this. On May 29, de Gaulle's helicopter crashes. The sensitive information is kept secret for a couple of days while the panicking government tries to decide on a course of action; the point-of-view character of the story is introduced as he participates in the hold-up of a secret transfer of funds from the Banque de France, but later has a run-in with the riot police and is left for dead.

The narrative jumps to 1973. We learn through flashbacks and an as-you-know-Bob recap (justified by the main character being filled in on recent events while he was in hospital) that General Massu was put in charge of retaking control of Paris, and sent in the tanks. However, the rioters had been joined by disgruntled employees of Nord Aviation, who brought with them stockpiles of the experimental Milan weapon system (a portable antitank rocket launcher which, in OTL, was deployed a few years later). The heavy-handed intervention failed with large loss of life on both sides, army conscripts mutinied and unrest spread to the rest of the country. The civil war lasted for two years and ended with the victory of the Paris Commune. The rest of France is also mostly under the Commune's rule, though there are die-hard holdouts here and there.

Another three years later, the provisional government is working on a new constitution and the imminent proclamation of the Sixth Republic. It's a collegial council (its members address each other as "Councillor" much as Communists use "Comrade") headed by former student firebrand Daniel Cohn-Bendit. Soft drugs have been legalized, as have all forms of consensual behavior; in some parts of Paris, farmyard animals are being raised in public squares and even in the streets. A vast program of urban renewal has been launched, which mostly results in crazy architecture coexisting with older buildings (round, curvy shapes and the color fuchsia are the architectural craze du jour).

There are indications that political pluralism still exists to some extent, though the official parties are mostly a joke (the largest one is Situationism, but it has rapidly degenerated into one huge permanent drug-fueled orgy) and the real power struggle is going on behind closed doors. Mitterrand has shrewdly manoeuvered his way into Cohn-Bendit's inner circle, and so has Chirac, and neither of them is interested in keeping the utopia going once they're in charge. In fact, Mitterrand cynically accepts overtures from the CIA and promises a normalization of the Franco-American relationship.

Economically, it seems the chaos has resulted in a drop in standards of living. The population is being placated with subsidized perks such as nearly-free petrol, but various basic items such as meat are being rationed, at least in Paris. Fortunately, the building spree helps generating activity.

Among the cameos, there's Jim Morrison, who joined the fight along with other foreign idealists and died during the civil war (imagine that, Jim Morrison dying in Paris). And the head of the local CIA branch is one Bob Woodward, who apparently made a different career choice but still has a keen investigative instinct (one guesses that the Watergate scandal doesn't break out in TTL, good news for Nixon).

Thande said:

As a frenchman, I had the occasion to look on these comics. I can assure you than the first and fifth tome do not deal with French History at all.

Here are a summary of the Five first tomes for those interested. I used the French Version of Wikipedia to help me as I didn't remember all the details.

WARNING : Lots of Spoilers.

The First Tome is called Les Russes sur la Lune! ("Russians on the Moon!"). The POD of this comic is that Appolo 11 failed because Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin's module was hit by a small meteorite. On the other hand, the Russians have been more lucky and are able to land on the Moon first, with the first man of the moon being a woman : Valentina Terechkova.
Ten years later, both the Americans and Russians have a base on the Moon : Eagle for the US, where arrives Tom Lang (one of the main protagonists) and Galactika for the Soviets, where lands Sasha Joukov (another protagonists). On the Moon, the situation is a mess : both base are co-operating since the Russians saved the Americans' live two years ago. However, the Soviets have accidentally killed their political commissar and have taken refuge in the US base. If the situation wasn't complicated enough, Valériane Smith, a female American Astronaut, is pregnant with the child of Dimitri Babakine. Later in the comic, she gives birth to a son, Tom-Ivan (weird name if you ask me...).
The situations gets out of hand, leading Jimmy Carter (President of the US) and Leonid Brejnev (Premier of the Soviet Union) to destroy the Lunar Base of their rival. Tom Lang and Sasha Joukov eventually reveal the story to the world before leaving Luna with baby Tom-Ivan (whose parents have been killed) and disappear from the face of the world. Eventually, this leads to an Earth Revolution and Global Peace which gets rid of Nuclear Weapons.
Funnily enough, the tome concludes in 1990. You discover that Tom Lang, Sacha Joukov and the now ten-year old Tom-Ivan leave secretly on an island thanks to the help of... Vladimir Putin!

Second tome is called Paris, Secteur Sovietique ("Paris, Soviet Sector"). Basically, a storm cause D-Day to be a complete failure. The Allies still land on Provence, but they get stopped at Lyon and DeGaulle is killed when his plane is shot down by the Germans. Thanks to the Allies' failure, the Soviets defeat the Germans and Cross the Rhine. Nazi Germany surrenders only in 1946, and France is split into the French Republic (US-backed) and the People's Republic of France (Communist, lead by Maurice Thorez) with the Seine acting as a border.
This tome is mostly a Spy story, as Paris as become a Spy center. A Serial Killer eventually threatens the fragile equilibrum of the Cold War, and Captain Saint-Elme (main character) must go into the Soviet Sector to capture the Serial Killer.

The Third and Fourth Tome are centered on the Same POD and are linked stories. The Third Tome is called Septembre Rouge ("Red September"). The 1914 Battle of the Marne ends up in a French defeat, leading to France surrendering to the Kaiser, being occupied by Germany and the French Monarchy is apprently restored. Clemenceau flees to Algiers where he leads a British-backed Government in exile to fight against the Germans.
In 1917, Nicholas II of Russia is negotiating peace with the Germans. Clemenceau then plans the murder of the Tsar. He asks Samuel Blondin (main character) to go free former Anarchist Jules Bonnot, supposedly killed in 1912 but actually held prisonner in If Castle (Château d'If), then to go to Russia and help the Bolsheviks murder the Tsar.
Blondin succeeds in freeing Bonot, then escapes to Switzerland in a plane (killing the Red Baron on their way) where they meet former colleagues of Bonot. Escaping the German Secret Services, they find Lenin and go with him to Petrograd.
The fourth tome is called Octobre Noir ("Black October") and continues where the previous stopped. Meeting with the Bolsheviks, Bonnot succeeds in murdering Nicholas II. However, Bonnot and Blondin come to realize the Bolsheviks are criminals, and with the help of the Anarchists of Krondstadt, they get rid of Lenin, Stalin and Trostky (by killing them in an explosion). The Anarchists eventually take power in Russia and push the Germans back. Germany rebels against the Kaiser while France is freed by Clemenceau and the British and the Republic re-established.

The fifth tome is purely American Alt-History. It's called Qui a tué le Président? ("Who killed the President?") and the POD is Nixon beating Kennedy in 1960. He gets re-elected in 1964 but turns into a Dictator and gets rid of the opposition. He send 2 million mens to Vietnam in 1965 and succeeds in having the Constitution modified so he can get a third presidency in 1968. In 1971, Nixon eventually plans Operation Royal Arc, a massive nuclear attack on the Sino-Vietnamese frontier.
Henry Kissinger decides this is too much and, with the help of Cuban dictator Batista (who stayed in power thanks to butterflies) hires a former French legionnary to murder Nixon. The former legionnary liberates Chris French, a former marine condemened to 144 years of imprisonnment for having murdered his officer in Vietnam in 1966.
Nixon goes to Dallas in 1973 and is shot down by Chris French roughly the same way Kennedy was OTL. Chris French and his colleague escapes with the money Kissinger gave them, but eventually kill each other as they don't want to share it.

Honestly, I don't find the series to be very good AH, but that's also because so far it's not my time period (post-1900 History doesn't really interest me). I'm hoping the Seventh tome to be better since it will deal with a Napoleonic POD. I suspect however that the POD deals with Napoleon III rather than Napoleon I : the scene will apparently take place in 1925, as Emperor Napoleon V is going to be crowned. Given the number and the year, it seems more logical that Napoleon III didn't lose or never waged the Franco-Prussian War and that he was succeeded by his son (Napoleon IV) who died in 1925, leading to Napoleon V.