Portuguese Israeli colony in Southern Africa

During the first phase of European expansion overseas the Portuguese settled controlled the major part of the African coast (both the Atlantic and the Indian Ocean coasts) but did not settle heavily like they did in Brazil.

Let’s say that following the expulsion of the Jewish communities in Spain, many of whom went to Portugal, the Portuguese King decides to use this influx of population to expand its colonial empire and reduce the tensions created by the Jewish presence in mainland Portugal. Portuguese Jews establish a colony on the site of the future Cape Colony and it quickly becomes a success, situated in a middle point of the Europe-India Portuguese dominated commercial routes.

Not only it thrives of the commerce and support to the passing vessels, but that also start to settle inland, using the land to create an abundant Agricola production. Soon news of this new “promised land” reaches even the most remote Jewish communities in the Polish/Lithuanian Commonwealth and over the next decades/centuries the Jewish migration to the colony in the South of Africa practically depopulates Europe of its Jewish population.

Butterflies?

During the first phase of European expansion overseas the Portuguese settled controlled the major part of the African coast (both the Atlantic and the Indian Ocean coasts) but did not settle heavily like they did in Brazil.

Let’s say that following the expulsion of the Jewish communities in Spain, many of whom went to Portugal, the Portuguese King decides to use this influx of population to expand its colonial empire and reduce the tensions created by the Jewish presence in mainland Portugal. Portuguese Jews establish a colony on the site of the future Cape Colony and it quickly becomes a success, situated in a middle point of the Europe-India Portuguese dominated commercial routes.

Not only it thrives of the commerce and support to the passing vessels, but that also start to settle inland, using the land to create an abundant Agricola production. Soon news of this new “promised land” reaches even the most remote Jewish communities in the Polish/Lithuanian Commonwealth and over the next decades/centuries the Jewish migration to the colony in the South of Africa practically depopulates Europe of its Jewish population.

Butterflies?

I had it in my TL A New Portugal, but my POD was in 1578, but never developed much the idea. Maybe I should do it again in Madness and Greatness. But I doubt that Jewish migration to South Africa would be bigger then to Netherlands or the Ottoman Empire. They were, after all, a urban population, would prefer bigger centres of commerce. Also, they would still be affraid that Portuguese Inquisition could reach them even in Africa. After all, even Goa had its own Inquisition, and the Holy Office made visits even to Brazil, where it never was officially installed. There would be reason to suppose that Africa would be spared.

Well, my idea was to have a pure Jewish colony, at first from Portuguese Jewish settlers that would eventually became a heaven of freedom to Jews and, thus, calling out for the remainder Jewish communities throughout Europe.

I though of a colony that would develop rather quickly and became a center for commerce and expand inland, creating a “2nd Brazil” in Southnern Africa (Being a colony started by populations coming from Portugal and under the blessing/protection of the Portuguese King it would be an integral part of the Portuguese Dominions.

I’ve been reading your TL “A New Portugal”. It is great. Only now I noticed you new TL. I’ll see if I can catch up with it.

Valdemar II

Banned
I had it in my TL A New Portugal, but my POD was in 1578, but never developed much the idea. Maybe I should do it again in Madness and Greatness. But I doubt that Jewish migration to South Africa would be bigger then to Netherlands or the Ottoman Empire. They were, after all, a urban population, would prefer bigger centres of commerce. Also, they would still be affraid that Portuguese Inquisition could reach them even in Africa. After all, even Goa had its own Inquisition, and the Holy Office made visits even to Brazil, where it never was officially installed. There would be reason to suppose that Africa would be spared.

A solution could be a small coloniy of a few thousands and later a conquest by the Dutch, which more or less let the colony run itself at least outside Cape Town, which get some Christian settlers. I doubt you would see many Ashkenazi move there, maybe with the exception of a presence in Cape Town, but at this point I doubt we would see many settlers, first all the Ashkenazi only became such a large part of Jews in the 18th century, they also mostly thrieved in Poland until the Russian takeover, any Ashkenazi moving there would be westen Yiddish speakers from the HRE.

Religeous we will likely see a mostly urban Dutch speaking Christian minority, a urban Yiddish speaking Ashkenazi minority, a Ladino speaking rural Sephardi majority.

Cultural We are going see Dutch Christians at the top, Ladinos and Yids in the middle and coloured and Blacks at the bottoms as a mix of slaves and farmhands. The Jews are unlikely to treat them differently than the Boer did. Through we will likely see some interesting development, without the colours interaction with the Dutch, likely we will not see them converting to Christianity, that may result in the development of Judaism spread among them.

Here's a map of present-day South Africa by ethnicity-red is black people, green is mixed-race ("coloured") people, off-yellow is whites, and purple is mixed areas. The sharp-east west divide is due to the climate in the west not being suitable for the types of crops Bantu had, but good for winter wheat, which Europeans had.

689px-South_Africa_dominant_population_group_map.svg.png

The big red area became part of South Africa largely due to the Boer Trek and the Zulu war. ITTL, the Jewish population of western South Africa likely won't care as much about government changes so long as their rights are respected, and a Boer Trek analogue is, IMHO, unlikely. If eastern South Africa is conquered by Europeans, there's no reason to assume it will be the same country that controls western South Africa, and even if it is, the two will likely be administered as separate colonies. If the Jews can assimilate the Khoi (who formed a major source of the OTL "Coloured" population), then its likely that the green area on the map will be majority Jewish. Even if this doesn't happen, I can see TTL's *Zionist movement encouraging Jews to migrate to the Jewish settled parts of South Africa, to shore up the Jewish population and eventually create a Jewish state. Palestine, I think, will most probably be left nicely in peace in this TL.

Well, my idea was to have a pure Jewish colony, at first from Portuguese Jewish settlers that would eventually became a heaven of freedom to Jews and, thus, calling out for the remainder Jewish communities throughout Europe.

I though of a colony that would develop rather quickly and became a center for commerce and expand inland, creating a “2nd Brazil” in Southnern Africa (Being a colony started by populations coming from Portugal and under the blessing/protection of the Portuguese King it would be an integral part of the Portuguese Dominions.

I’ve been reading your TL “A New Portugal”. It is great. Only now I noticed you new TL. I’ll see if I can catch up with it.

There were Jewish colonies in West africa during the early days of Colonization. They were known as Lancados, and many served the Portuguese as middlemen and traders. However there were some that were totally independent from the Crown of Portugal and worked trade routes that extended along rivers far into Africa. There are records of towns of about 100 Portuguese "living under the rule of Moses." Even the Flemish Jews often would run vessels along the coast of Africa trading with other Jewish middlemen.

I have read that the Portuguese eventually attempted to send the Inquisition after these Jews except in one case they were forced to back down because the local Wolof King protected them. In the long run thought the Jewish communities would often intermarry with the Africans, and this essentially erased them from later colonialist European perceptions.

OK, here goes-Jewish South Africa TL!
*Note-I'm not a butterfly fanatic. Because I'm coming up with this on the fly, everything outside South Africa will go as OTL until the late 19th century.

Thanks to Valdemar for ideas.

-1516: The Portuguese establish the Forte do Cabo da Boa Esperanca (Cape of Good Hope Fort) on the site of OTL Cape Town, to act as a rest stop for Portuguese ships using the Cape trade routes, and to deny the same to ships of other nations.

-1521: Needing farmers to grow food for passing ships, the Portuguese deport over a thousand Jews to the area around Boa Esperanca. Most of the immigrants engage in cattle herding or wheat growing.

-Rest of 16th century: Boa Esperanca becomes a favorite place for the Portuguese to deport their dwindling Jewish population, mainly from Portugal but also occassionally from Brazil. All in all, the number of Jews sent to the colony totals 6,000-7,000. Boa Esperanca recieves a few visits from the Holy Office, and the Jewish population-by now the overwhelming majority of the Portuguese inhabitants-is occasionally harrassed, but the area is generally considered a backwater and the Inquisition has bigger fish to fry. The Portuguese expansion triggers conflicts with the local Khoi population, which the Portuguese win, and most of the surrounding Khoi are enslaved or become wage laborers on Jewish-owned farms. By 1600, Boa Esperanca has over 20,000 Jewish inhabitants (due to natural population increase), over 6,000 Khoi, and about 1,500 Portuguese Christians (mostly consisting of the garrison and the colonial administrative staff)

-1607: During the Dutch-Portuguese War, the Dutch capture Boa Esperanca, which is ceded at the war's conclusion and renamed Kaapstaat (Cape Town). Most of the Jews regard this as a positive development, since the Dutch are largely tolerant and unconcerned with religion. Cape Town builds its first synagogue in 1612, and for the first time, public practice of Judaism is legalized. The colony sees a modest amount of immigration-Jews fleeing the collapse of Dutch Brazil, and its first Ashkenazim (the inhabitants up to this point have all been Ladino-speaking Sephardim) from the Netherlands and Germany. Most of the Ashkenazim take up residence in Cape Town or other urban areas, but the countryside remains dominated by Sephardim. While all the Christian Portuguese were forced to leave following the colony's capture, a small number of Dutch Christians, numbering no more than three or four thousand, immigrate to the colony. As the area is regarded as a backwater, little missionary activity takes place, and most of the colony's black and mixed-race people have much more contact with the Jewish population. Many eventually convert to Judaism.
As the Jewish population expands, settlers begin to migrate northward and westward.

-1790-By now, Dutch South Africa controls an area equal to OTL Cape Colony. The population is divided between blacks (the majority of whom have adopted Judaism) and whites. The White population is made up of mostly Sephardic Jews, with Cape Town and other areas having a mixture of Sephardic Jews, Ashkenazi Jews, and Dutch.

-1795-1815: Napoleonic Wars. Dutch South Africa changes hands several times, but ultimately gets taken over by Britain, who organize it as the Cape Colony

-19th Century: After the establishment of British rule, a good many of the Dutch gradually leave, though Britain respects the rights of the Jewish inhabitants of Cape Colony. Some British settlers immigrate in to replace the Dutch, and English gradually becomes the Colony's language of education and government.

-1872: After much pressure, Cape Colony is granted responsible government. Jews are given the right to hold elected office, and Yiddish and Ladino become official languages of the colony alongside English. This period sees a growing amount of Ashkenazi immigration, mostly fleeing Russian persecution. As its government and economy are by now Jewish-dominated, Cape Colony is seen as a more attractive destination than the US, which gets substantially less Jewish immigration than OTL. In the wake of the Dreyfuss Affair, and due to the increasing anti-Jewish sentiment in Europe, some Jewish leaders, most notably Theodore Herzl, encourage Europe's Jews to immigrate to the Cape, to fully create a "new Jewish homeland". The number of new arrivals in Cape Colony picks up.

-1880's-British gradually take control of the southeastern coastline of Africa, which is administered as British Southeast Africa. After the conquest of the Zulu kingdoms in the 1890's, this area is discovered to have large quantities of gold, diamonds, and other minerals, all of which are annexed into Southeast Africa (excepting the Kimberly mine, discovered and claimed by residents of Cape Colony)

-1914-1918: WWI. The Cape Colony contributes troops to the British war effort, with the Royal Cape Army Corps (RCAC) distinguishing itself at the Somme and in stopping the Spring Offensive in 1918. Along with Canada and Australia, Cape Colony is allowed to send a separate delegation to the Versailles Peace Conference.

-1932-Statute of Westminster grants effective independence to the British Dominions. Cape Colony is renamed as the Dominion of South Africa.

-1933: Hitler comes to power in Germany.

-1935: Nuremberg laws passed. South African Prime Minister Herbert Goldstein announces that, due to the growing anti-Semetism in Germany, any Jew from there will be allowed immediate permanent residency in South Africa should he or she wish to immigrate. Charity funds are set up to pay for prospective immigrant's passage over, and by 1939, over three million German Jews have made the trip. Almost all become South African citizens.

-1939-1945: Under Prime Minister David Abrabanel, South Africa fights alongside the rest of the allies in World War II, and its people are stunned when they learn of the magnitude of the Holocaust.

-1946: South Africa offers permanent residency to all Jewish Displaced Persons in Europe. Most make the trip.

-1949: Responding to pressure from the new immigrants, who want complete independence from Britain, PM Abrabanel declares South Africa a republic and changes the name to Neve Israel (New Israel)

-1950-present: Neve Israel, by now majority Jewish, becomes a rather prosperous country, owing to the skills of its inhabitants and its natural resources (especially the diamond mines at Kimberly). As decolonization progresses, Neve Israel at first has bad relations with is neighbors, who percieve it as a holdover from the colonialist era, but this is ameliorated when Neve Israel gradually repeals colonial-era discrimination laws, and supports the independence of the remaining European colonies in Africa. By 2010, Neve Israel is well integrated into the African community and has long been the center of world Jewish life.

Last edited:
Religeous we will likely see a mostly urban Dutch speaking Christian minority, a urban Yiddish speaking Ashkenazi minority, a Ladino speaking rural Sephardi majority.

With that much of a mix, I wonder how Dutch would turn out in TTL. In OTL, Yiddish - like Deitsch (Pennsylvania German) in OTL - unrounded its inherited <ö, ü> to sound exactly like <e, i>. Maybe the same could happen to Dutch's <eu, u/uu, ui> set.

As the area is regarded as a backwater, little missionary activity takes place, and most of the colony's black and mixed-race people have much more contact with the Jewish population. Many eventually convert to Judaism.
As the Jewish population expands, settlers begin to migrate northward and westward.

-1790-By now, Dutch South Africa controls an area equal to OTL Cape Colony. The population is divided between blacks (the majority of whom have adopted Judaism) and whites. The White population is made up of mostly Sephardic Jews, with Cape Town and other areas having a mixture of Sephardic Jews, Ashkenazi Jews, and Dutch.
When you say 'blacks' do you mean Khoisan? This ATL might (MIGHT) keep the Bantu largely out of your 'new Israel'.

When you say 'blacks' do you mean Khoisan? This ATL might (MIGHT) keep the Bantu largely out of your 'new Israel'.

Yes, Khoisan. And your right, Neve Israel doesn't include the Bantu-inhabited parts of South Africa (except Kimberly, but I understand that's right on the border of Bantu-land....)

Lusitania

Donor
Butterflies

Being in the midsts of my own TL I find it interesting everyone here automatically assumes that a Portuguese Jewish South Africa would be lost to the Dutch one hundred years in the future. The act of allowing these people "Jewish" to migrate to South Africa alone would entail a huge change in both government policy but also thinking.

It would also signify a huge drift from the Portuguese King's appeasement of the Spanish demands for an Inquisition and the removal of all heretics from Portugal.

Do I think that Portugal would automatically loose this area to Dutch, I do not know but what I do know is that this colony's economic significance as well as the existance of the Jews in Portugal would of provided a big financial profit. Would that of made the difference maybe.

One thing I am sure is that Portuguese-Spanish noble families would of been united differently and also that there might never of been a 1585 political crises and the resulting unification of the crown.

Could a independent Portugal of been better able to defend and possibly defeat the Dutch, maybe.

Don't get me wrong I like your thesis, just not the automatic assumption about the future.

Thanks
Lusitania

^My impression was that South Africa was something of a backwater until the precious minerals were discovered in the late 19th century. Before then, I would think its main strategic importance would be as a way station on the Cape of Good Hope trade route, so the Dutch taking it makes sense.

Besides, its kind of necessary for the TL-you really can't develop a vibrant Jewish culture when the Inquisition is breathing down the necks of everyone.

Lusitania

Donor
^My impression was that South Africa was something of a backwater until the precious minerals were discovered in the late 19th century. Before then, I would think its main strategic importance would be as a way station on the Cape of Good Hope trade route, so the Dutch taking it makes sense.

Besides, its kind of necessary for the TL-you really can't develop a vibrant Jewish culture when the Inquisition is breathing down the necks of everyone.

You are right that a vibrant Jewish culture might not be as open as those in non-Catholic countries but event there it was always checked.

In regards to Jews in Portugal at the beggining of the 16th century they were techically Catholic having been converted on mass. They would be practicing their faith privatelly.

Now as for Dutch-Portuguese war, how would of been differently if Portugal was independent. For this scenario to exist there never would of been a union and therefore no Portuguese involvement in the Spanish Armada (do not know if they would ever have attempted it without Portuguese navy) therefore a much larger and powerful Portugese Navy.

I was thinking if this requires the Portuguese giving up this area so that a Jewish culture could flourish then I think it may be more prevelant to think that Portugal might give this region to England as dowry.

You are right that a vibrant Jewish culture might not be as open as those in non-Catholic countries but event there it was always checked.

In regards to Jews in Portugal at the beggining of the 16th century they were techically Catholic having been converted on mass. They would be practicing their faith privatelly.

Now as for Dutch-Portuguese war, how would of been differently if Portugal was independent. For this scenario to exist there never would of been a union and therefore no Portuguese involvement in the Spanish Armada (do not know if they would ever have attempted it without Portuguese navy) therefore a much larger and powerful Portugese Navy.

I was thinking if this requires the Portuguese giving up this area so that a Jewish culture could flourish then I think it may be more prevelant to think that Portugal might give this region to England as dowry.

Where does Portugal being independent come in? ITT, they started deporting the Jews to South Africa in 1521, but the personal union with Spain wasn't until 1580.

Besides, I don't imagine the Jews who got sent to South Africa as being especially well off.

Lusitania

Donor
Where does Portugal being independent come in? ITT, they started deporting the Jews to South Africa in 1521, but the personal union with Spain wasn't until 1580.

Besides, I don't imagine the Jews who got sent to South Africa as being especially well off.

As I had stated I found no fault with the thesis that Jews going to South Africa. What I found a problem was the idea that the history would unfold exactly the same way 100 in the future. Portuguese-Dutch war of 1607.

One of my points was that for there to be a large Portuguese-Jewish population there would of had to been a change in Portuguese-Spanish relationship and also pilitical marriages. That would introduce the possibility that a) Different king therefore no political union with Spain and b) An independent Portugal better able to defend itself against the Dutch.

The whole point I was trying to make was that if you change something in 1520's do not simplify things and state everything else is going to happen as it did iOTL in the future.

Valdemar II

Banned
I like Mirza Khans idea, through there are a few thing I disagree with.

1: the Dutch population emigrating, unlikely in OTLO when the British took over a Dutch colony, the local Dutchs with the exception of the adminstration usual stayed.

There are several reason for this with 20 000 inhabitants in 1600 even with a small increase rate we will see Cape have several hundred thousand inhabitants in 1800 (Let's keep it low at 200-300 thousands, because of the dry climate), and with such a early introduction of such a large Dutch population the Dutch population are likely to be at least the size of OTL Afrikaans at this point in time (5-10 thousands) if not large (I think 40-50 thousand aren't unlikely*). The British will likely leave a lot of the adminstration of the colony to these at least in short term.

2: the British conquest, in OTL the British conquered the colony because it was rather pro-French, plus it was relative easy to conquer. Here the colony are Dutch population are likely more loyal to the Stadtholder, and the colony likely have a large armed force. These thing together with the colonys general worthlessness as anything other than a way station would likely result in the English set it up as a kind of Netherlands-in-Exile.

3: the Holocaust with a country willing to take Jewish population in, we would likely see the German take a more Laize-Faire attitude to the getting rid of the Jews, massacre them sometimes, starve them, but mostly planning to deport them to South Africa after the war.

But I think yopur idea are perfect until the English takeover. But the 19th Century will likely look differently.

Capes population 1790: 270 000

Dutch/Christians: 50 000 (15 000 are soldiers and their families, while being called Dutch they are mostly of German origin)
Ashkennazi (Yids): 30 000
Sephardic (Ladinos): 150 000
Coloured(Mulattos/Basters): 50 000 (40 000/10 000)

Kaapstad/ Cape Town are with 25 000 people the biggest town in the colony but several other exist all in all close to 80 000 (soldier aren't counted) people are urban. The urban population are dominated by the Yid and Dutch population, but a plurality (unless soldier are included, in that case the Dutch are a plurality) are Ladinos. The Yids are mostly urban but a small minority live in rural villages near the Kaapstadt, while 20 000 Dutch are rural farmers as the Yid, they mostly live close to the coast, where they produce wine, pork and dairy to the urban population. The Mulatto are overwheming rural defacto unfree servants on Ladino farms, while the Basters are both urban and rural, through the later are in majority. A significant part of the rural Baster rural population are free farmers.

1795: William flee Netherlands after the French invasion, the Cape Government swear loyalty to him, and he travel to Cape several thousand Orangist refugees.

1795-1815: Netherlands-in-Exile; several reform are pushed through, Jews are given full rights (existing defacto already), Jews can be conscripted into the army, and serve in the Dutch navy. In Kaapstadt and several other towns, universal education are pushed through (long term plan to extend this to the country side), the education are inDutch, through Hebrew classes are given to the Jews. As result we see in this periode a collapse of Yiddish, with the Yids adopting Dutch instead, among the urban Ladinos we also see a similar collapse, but Ladino survive in colony thanks to the large rural population.

1815 The Stadtholder return to Netherlands, the Cape colony are raised to a Kingdom as the Kingdom of Kaapland.

1815-48 There are a growing dislike about being ruled from abroad the population has grown use to defacto selfrule, in the same periode, the colony see a growing immigration especially Ashkenazi, Germans and Dutch emigrate to the colony.

Population 1848: 650 000

Christians/Afrikaans: 100 000
Yids: 130 000
Ladinos: 290 000
Mulatto/Baster: 130 000 (90 000/40 000)

Afrikaans, Yids, Ladino, Mulatto and Baster are not a question of language, but which rite they follow Afrikaans and Baster are Christians and mostly Dutch speakers (through a significant minoritry speak Ladino among both groups), Ladino and Mulatto follow the Spanish rite and are majority Ladino speakers (but a large minority among Ladino speak Dutch), while Yids follow "German" rite and are Dutch speakers, through with a large Yiddish-speaking minority.

Afrikaans Dutch are distinct from standard Dutch with significant Yiddish and Ladino loanwords and a distinct pronouncement, through it has kept a basic Dutch grammar

1848: The Kaap Revolution tired of being treated as a colony Kaapland revolt, the king having trouble enough in Europe decide to compromise with the local. the Kingdom of Kaapland are given wide autonomy and a local parliament. Ladino are made co-official language. But the power are largely kept in the hand of the small Dutch elite for several decades.

1848-1918: over the next half century Kaapland see a large immigration from Europe, especially a large Ashkenazi immigration, through also large German and Dutch. The Christian population size reach a high point in 1873 with 22 procent of population, but after that begin to fall. The franchiese are extended several times, the most radical with extending voting right to Mulattos and Basters in 1907. From 1877 the kingdom see it first Jewish PM. When the carve up of Africa happen Kaapland northen border are set up just south of Walvis Bay and in the east just east of Jeffrey Bay. The local Khoi and Bantu tribes on Kaap territorium are mosly driven out, put in reservation or intermarry to extinction. Kaapland didn't take part of WWI, but choose to stay neutral like Netherlands.

Population 1918: 2 600 000
Afrikaans: 400 000
Yids: 1 000 000
Ladinos: 700 000
Mulattos: 200 000
Baster: 100 000
Other: 200 000

Christians: 600 000
Jews: 1 900 000
Other: 100 000

Dutch (includes German speakers): 1 100 000
Ladino 800 000
Yiddish: 600 000
Other: 100 000

1918-1940: in 1921 Yiddish are made official language beside Dutch and Ladino, thanks to a growing pressure. Kaapland stay one of the most open countries to emigration in this periode, resulting in many East European Jews moving to the country. With Hitlers takeover of Germany a large number of German Jews immigrate, followed by Austrian and Bohemian Jews. A large number of other Germans refugees also follow.The immigration of almost a million well educated Germans (both Jews and other persecuted groups; socialists, liberals and Mischlings).But Kaapland can't stay out of the world forever.

1940-1945: with the German conquest of Netherlands, Kaapland are forced to join the war. Mostly the the Kaaplanders unit are used in East Asia against the Japanese, through their lack of navy and low population keep them from making a difference. But the large emigration of Jews before the war has kept the Nazi from starting up OTL Holocaust, only 1,7 million Jews died by the hands of Nazi, mostly in massacre in USSR.

1945-2010 In the periode after WWII Kaapland receive large immigration from Europe almost two million Jews decide to immigrate to Kaapland, plus several hundred thousand others.

Population 1950: 7 600 000
Afrikaans: 700 000
Yids: 4 000 000
Ladinos 1 400 000
Coloured: 500 000
Germans 700 000
Other: 300 000

Christian 1 100 000
Jew: 5 600 000
Other: 900 000

Dutch: 2 100 000
Ladino: 1 700 000
Yiddish: 2 700 000
German 900 000
Other: 200 000

A change of calegory Baster and Mulatto are put together in one category, and a new category Germans are established. In the following decades Kaapland also saw a large number of Indos fleeing to the country. Kaapland in this periode was seen by African nationalist as a state to be driven into the sea, it's cooperation with the White settler states Natal, South Rhodesia (includes Transvaal and Orange Free State) and Walvis (north Namibia). Kaapland ironic enough succeded in keeping a close relationship with Germany (even with a less bad Holocaust, Germany has still a high degree of guilt, but with fewer death relative the Jews of Kaapland aren't as unfriendly with Germany). But beside USA, Germany and Netherlands the Kaap support to these buffer states made it something of a international pariah. With the collapse of USSR Kaapland dropped it support of these states, the result was a collapse White rule in Natal, and South Rhodesia hanged on a few more years, but dropped the minority rule in 2001. Walvis gave it up shortly after. Whilwe still unpopular in many African states, it helped on Kaaps reputation. Kaapland in the year following collapse also esstablish close relationships with Belarussia, Poland and Yidland (Crimea) thanks to the large Jewish population of these states. This was a important move for Kaapland to avoid another immigration wave (it's more or less full) of Jewish refugees.

Population 2010: 12 700 000
Dutch: 6 000 000
Yiddish: 3 900 000
Ladino : 2 000 000
German: 400 000
Other: 400 000

Religion and ethnic group are no longer registered in 2010. It's believed that around 1 500 000 are Christians and 6 000 000 Jews. The size of the Coloured, Black and Khoi population size are also unknown, some of their interest organistion put the number at 3 000 000, but most see that as ridiculous and put the number at between a half and a million. beside this population, there are believed to live over a million illegal immigrants in the country.

*the Afrikaans population was founded by less than a thousand individuals in the late 17th century, here we see a significant bigger population in the early 17th found the Dutch population.

Thanks Valdemar, I think your version actually makes a little more sense than mine. My only question is why Capeland would have such a bad relationship with the rest of Africa, and feel the need to prop up white settler states. I mean, unlike OTL South Africa its actually majority white, and unlike Israel it doesn't have a large population of indigenous refugees living in camps right outside its borders. I doubt African nationalists would really like it at first, but the white population has been living there for hundreds of years and there aren't any black refugees clamoring for the land back, so I think the African nationalists will accept that Capeland exists. Capeland, for its part, has more to gain by siding with indigenous Africans than it does by propping up governments that will collapse the minute it turns its back.

Could a pidgin language form?