What if the Austro-Hungarians put the Eastern Front first?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1487
  • Start date

Deleted member 1487

I found this old post on a different forum and wanted to share it hear to get some opinions while I still worked on my other TL. I just wanted to hear some opinions; I'm NOT starting another TL just yet.;)

Just a bit of background, Norman Stone, author of the only decent book on the overview of the Eastern Front in WW1 also wrote an article in German about the messed up AH mobilization of August 1914. He talks about the event a bit in his book and cites his paper in the foot notes. Having received that article in PDF through inter-library loan (the magazine it was published in no longer exists), I muddled my way through, thanks to the maps included. Several variants of the AH mobilization were included and this What If is based on the information therein.

Historically Conrad von Hötzendorf proved ridiculously indecisive when it mattered most: at the start of World War One.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/maps/easternfront.htm (though some maps are a bit off)

As the Chief of Staff of the Austro-Hungarian general Staff, Armee Ober Kommando (AOK), he was in charge of prewar planning. He had his staff create some flexibility in mobilization by creating three groups: A-Staffel, three armies, the 1st, 3rd, and 4th; B-Staffel, 2nd army of 6 corps and one cavalry division; and Minimal Gruppe Balkan (MG-B), the 5th and 6th armies (really only the strength of 1 army), to hold the Balkan front against Serbia. A-Staffel was supposed to be deployed against Russia, MG-B against Serbia, and B-Staffel could go either way.

As war was declared he vacillated and only mobilized MG-B and B-Staffel for war against Serbia, despite knowing that Russia would support her Balkan ally, which meant that Russia was able to mobilize before AH, the latter only doing so in response to the Russia declaration. This meant that only half the army was headed to Eastern Front and the crucial reinforcements, B-Staffel, would have to first go to the Balkans only to turn around and head to the Eastern Front. Historically they arrived only to be caught up in the retreat after the AHs lost the battle of Lemberg, losing important equipment and manpower.

So, what if Conrad had ordered total preparation for mobilization of the whole army on July 25th, as he did historially with MG-B and B-Staffel, but instead of sending B-Staffel to the Balkans, it headed to the Eastern Front immediately?

Now just to make something clear, Franz Josef's approval was necessary to declare full mobilization. What I am proposing then, in light of Franz Josef's reluctance to immediately authorize full mobilization, is that Conrad waits for the 'Russian Clarification of Intentions' before deploying B-Staffel. He also would already issue a general warning order to the whole army on the 25th, canceled leave, called up officers, and readied rail and telegraph staff and offices that will be needed for deployment, all things NOT historically done on July 25th. So the first day of mobilization is July 30th for A- and B-Staffel. Waiting an extra few days wouldn't have hurt the Serbian Front, but instead would save AH the muddle it suffered historically. So THAT is what I am proposing: Conrad having the sense to wait and prepare instead of going off half-cocked and messing up mobilization.

First and foremost the AHs would not attack in the Balkans, they would solely defend, avoiding the defeats and losses that historically occurred, and probably would draw out the Serbs, who would start the war being defeated as they attacked AH, which they only did in September. Their morale from the defeat and losses would change from our historical level, potentially leaving the Serbs worse off when the AHs are ready to attack. Historically the AHs had better and more artillery than the Serbs, cutting them to ribbons when attacked from prepared positions.

This would also mean that within 21-25 days of the order the AH army would be totally mobilized in Galicia. That would be between August 20th and August 24th. Historically the 'attack group' in Galicia, the 1st and 4th armies, were mobilized the quickest, 16 days for the 1st army, 18 for the 4th, though the latter received reinforcements even later than this from B-Staffel. Here these would all arrive with the rest of the army. These armies would still be on track to attack, just maybe a few days earlier than OTL.

There are a few variables though: historically Conrad deployed his armies behind the San-Dniester river lines in defensive positions, as his necessary attack forces were not available, what with the 2nd army (B-Staffel) in the Balkans. He was forced to attack after Kaiser Wilhelm, supporting Moltke's plan, 'requested' Franz Josef have his armies attack to draw off the Russians. Conrad responded with his offensive.

Here though, with all his armies available up front, he would deploy forward near the border. Historically the AH armies were forced to march across their own country and wore themselves out before even reaching the border. Then they had to march to battle, leaving the Russians able to advance farther forward in East Galicia than the AHs.
With a more forward deployment, the AHs would be less tired, but would take longer to assemble. This probably adds about 1-2 days to the mobilization of the 1st and 4th armies respectively, but historically they had to spend several days marching forward to the border, so this would probably be a wash. However, it would telegraph AH intentions...

This would also add at least 3-4 to the 3rd and 2nd armies in East Galicia, but would cut down on their time marching forward, which took several extra days, meaning train travel would actually see them arriving at their historical positions sooner. Furthermore, this means that they will be mobilized along river lines in East Galicia, the 3rd along the Bug and the 2nd along the Sereth. There will be no historical battle of Gnila Lipa with the AHs running into prepared Russian positions being cut to pieces, rather it will be the Russians fighting roughly equal numbers of AHs in terrain of their own choosing.

The other issue is that historically the Russians thought the AHs were preparing to defend, because of their initial deployments, meaning that they attacked based on the assumption the AHs were not attacking (though not everyone made this assumption-Brusilov, Ruszki). Here with further forward AH deployments the Russians will know that AHs will attack, meaning they may defend instead. This could leave the AHs attacking Russians who are defending on their own territory, but it could also mean the Russians don't care and want to fight the AHs in a maneuver battle anyway (which some generals did). I don't know what would happen for sure, but with an educated guess I would say that the Russians will still attack with their 3rd and 8th armies, as these commanders still expected an AH attack historically, based on prewar intelligence and charged forward regardless. The Russian 4th and 5th armies though might opt to defend near Lublin and Cholm instead, as historically they were unaware of the attacking AH forces until too late. Perhaps we would see a reverse situation, where the battles in East Galicia see the Russians defeated, but the AH attacks in Poland bog down and route. However, the Russians would still be mobilizing by the time TTL AH reached them, giving them no time to create trenches and field fortifications. Both Lublin and Cholm were not fortified cities.

Honestly I see the Russians attacking anyway, just so the AHs don't disrupt their mobilization at Lublin and Cholm. With the AHs mobilizing sooner and in a more rested state, they would probably be able to march forward quick enough to disrupt Russian mobilization in Poland. OTL the battles of Krasnik and Komarow saw Russian forces moving out before they were totally mobilized. I assume Conrad would still only attack into Poland while defending East Galicia, because he would still believe the Germans are going to try and support him attacking toward Seydlitz.

Instead of the battles of Krasnik and Komarow, we would see the battles of Lublin and Cholm (maybe their suburbs/flanks), but without the Russians losing the maneuver battle, only being pushed back from their assembly points. They would lose their supply dumps, along with some equipment and probably take longer to put together a solid front, but they wouldn't be at risk of being encircled and have lots of space to fall back on. Meanwhile the Austrians have no rail lines to supply their advance, so taking Lublin and Cholm is the farthest forward they could go. No decisive battle yet, but it would hurt Russian attempts to counter attack. At this point we would probably see them getting bogged down in a see-saw struggle, especially as the Russian 9th army arrives to support them. Basically the historical defensive struggle in Poland in September 1914, but north of Lublin and Cholm.

Meanwhile in East Galicia the AHs would be fighting in rough, hilly, wooded lands where they have recent maps and home field advantage, plus the added bonus of fighting on ground of their choosing with equal numbers of troops and artillery as the enemy. The Russians would have had to march into enemy territory without rail supply and attack the AHs in the hills. They do have the benefit of the Ruthenians supporting them and providing guides for their patrols. But the fighting is going to bog down, with the Russians only able to advance at great cost and no decisive victory. Instead the Austrians will be able to hold them and keep the front in Galicia instead of being forced back to the Carpathians. Furthermore, they will not lose over 100,000 men as prisoners, nor lose the vast quantities of stores and equipment as historically happened.

The opening battles would then be inconclusive, with neither side defeated. There is no Austro-Hungarian emergency, instead Russian troops occupying East Galicia and AHs occupying the South of Russian Poland. Supply is difficult for both sides, but as the Russians get more reinforcements in September the situation gets more desperate for the AHs. In late September the Germans can now support the AHs with their 9th army, probably by attacking Ivangorod and breaking the stalemate in Poland, releasing AH troops to fight in East Galicia. This probably also breaches the Vistula river barrier, forcing the Russians to evacuate Poland like in August 1915.

The AHs avoid the major losses of 1914 and early 1915 because they aren't forced back into the Carpathians, forced to fight after losing massive numbers of men, artillery pieces, and crucial territory. However, the Russians also don't lose large numbers of men trying to break into the Hungarian plain. So in late 1914 and 1915 the Russians are defending their homeland with short supply lines, while the Central Powers are now having to ship everything far forward into enemy territory in the vast plains of the Ukrainian and Polish Steppe.

What do you all think? Am I way off or does this sound plausible. What happens next: a Brussilov-type Russian victory, or an earlier Russian revolution?

Attached is my crappy GIMPed map of army positions.

Edit: AOK would be further forward thanks to Conrad planning on an offensive from day 1. The DN group in the Bukowina is a Dniester group, which Conrad had planned on creating from Landsturm (3rd line troops), cavalry, and a single infantry division for flank defense in this mobilization scenario.

1914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems hard to imagine that they would just sit pat against the Serbs, punishing them was the whole point of the war.

Deleted member 1487

It seems hard to imagine that they would just sit pat against the Serbs, punishing them was the whole point of the war.

Without the historical reinforcements there is no way they could invade Serbia; the Serbs would outnumber them. Here I am assuming that Conrad realistically looks at the primary threat to AH and realizes he cannot fight two wars offensively. He is looking to beat the Russians and turn and fight the Serbs. OTL he realized it too late by a couple of days, here he doesn't, putting priorities first.

OTL deployments

Attachments

• Golovin Battle of Galacia map.pdf
    229.6 KB · Views: 837
Well it is funny as that is something I had been thinking about this weekend (I actually mapped out the entire A-H Army at the start of 1914 for that reason). As PODs go, the easiest way would be for Franz Ferdinand and Potiorek to both die and Sophie to live. This way Conrad would have full control over the deployment of the army. OTL Potiorek had control of the SW, and since the two never got along plus Potiorek became obsessed with revenge, well things did not turn out well for A-H... In addition Archduke Eugene would be the most logical replacement (it happened OTL), Eugene did recommend Conrad for the Chief of Staff job back when Eugene was still Inspector General, and with Franz Ferdinand dead there is no longer a jealous Crown Prince to deal with (Conrad said that is why Eugene left the Army early). Also, you could even use Eugene to nudge Conrad to the option of fighting Russia first then attacking Serbia, or maybe they cut some sort of deal like: You can take the A-H 2nd Army, but Eugene's two armies get first cut to reforcements, supplies, and new Artillery (they need this see below). Basically, Eugene holds the Serbian border and slowly builds up two armies into an attack force, while the other 4 standing armies go on the offensive vs Russia.

I think the 4th & 5th Russian armies would be in more trouble as, if my memory serves me (I might be wrong on this), both re-oriented themselves to better support each other right before the A-H armies hit them OTL. So, if they get attacked earlier would be even worse. Also, I believe (I am not 100% sure on this either) the 4th Russian Army was not full mobilized OTL with only 6.5 Divisions present when the A-H 1st Army hit it. Brusilov might not be as a renown commander in this TTL since his 8th Army will be facing an 16+ Division A-H 2nd Army. However, Brudermann (A-H 3rd Army) still will lose any fights he is in. His army is only 9 Divisions, three of his Infantry Divisions are Landwehr or Honved (Landwehr & Honved divisions have only about 24 field guns instead of the normal 42 a Common Army Division has), and Brudermann idea of cavalry usage is from the Napoleonic era (fancy uniform and charge the enemy straight on). Brudermann's only saving grace is he had the Elite (for the A-H) Tyrolean Corps, which he managed to get slaughtered OTL. Which is why there were a bunch of Czechs in the 3 ID & 8 ID to defect to the Russians in 1915. As I said earlier I had just mapped out the A-H army so here are the strength lists (I can go in more detail if need be):

Krummer Army Group (Krummer) 3 Divisions & 1 Independent Infantry Brigade
NOTE: The two Infantry Divisions in this Army Group do not have attached Artillery Brigades.
1st Army (Dankl) 11 Divisions & 4 Independent Infantry Brigades
4th Army (Auffenburg) 12 Divisions
3rd Army (Brudermann) 9 Divisions & 3 Independent Infantry Brigades
2nd Army (Bohm-Ermolli) 16 Divisions & 5 Independent Infantry Brigades

Dniester Group - There were 5 Second-line Landstrumm March Brigades (I assuming you mean them) they like all the traditional 14 March Brigades were rolled into the Army OTL to replace the ridiculously high losses the A-H took during 1914. So using them for the Dniester Group it completely legit at the start of a conflict. There were also 17 2nd-line Territorial Brigades (the 12th is one of the Brigades that was given to the Polish Legion in 1914) so a few of them could also be tapped for the Dniester force. OTL Pfanzler Army Group in Transylvania was made up of about 10 Infantry Brigades through Jan 1915, so this Dniester Group sounds exactly like that.

If anyone is interested in the SW you will be left with this:

5th Army (Frank) 5 Division & 2 Independent Infantry Brigades (1 is Mountain)
6th Army (Eugene) 5 Divisions & 5 Independent Infantry Brigades (4 are Mountain)
NOTE: the 18 ID of the 6th Army is a Double strength Division made up of 4 Mountain Brigades instead of the normal two. However, only 1 Division in the 6th army has its attached Artillery Brigade, which is made worse by the fact it is a Honved Division. I am not sure what Potiorek was thinking OTL his Army had a huge Artillery deficit, and he essentially had to use Human wave tactics plus rely heavily on the Artillery of the A-H 2nd Army. No wonder he failed to beat the Serbs three times in a row.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

Because I'm not sleepy yet I will add the OOBs to make this even more clear.
Edit: Ha! :D DanF you beat me to it! I like your POD, especially as it could have happened if the bombed thrown at FF's car went off. But the decision to send 2nd army south had nothing to do with Potiorek AFAIK, rather, Conrad overreacted and couldn't pry 2 corps of the 5 in B-Staffel loose once Potiorek leveraged his contacts at the imperial court.

Austria-Hungary:
Not included is the 5 2nd line territorial Landsturm brigades and 17 2nd line territorial brigades.

Serbian Front-
(5 Divs, 13 Mt Brgds (including 8 grouped into 3 Inf Divs OTL), 6.5 Brgds)

5th army:
XIII Corps- 3 divisions
1 Mountain Brigade
1 Landsturm Brigade
1 Marsch Brigade
(3 Divs, 1 Mt Brgd, 2 Brgds)

6th army:
XV Corps- 4 Mountain Brigades (2 Inf Divs)
XVI Corps- 8 Mountain Brigades (1 Inf Div of 4 Brgds + 4 Indp. Brgds)
2 Inf divisions
1 Landsturm brigade
1 Landsturm regiment
1 Marsch Brgd
(2 Divs, 12 Mt Brgds, 2.5 Brgds)

Rayon Banat:
Equivalent of 2 Brigades (Landsturm, Feldjägers) and attached artillery and pioneers..

There were also several Lst brgds in Bosnia to guard against insurrections which never occurred and will be reinforcements for this Front.

Eastern Front-
(42 Inf Divs, 11 Cav, 28 Brgds, 2 German Inf Divs)

Kummer Group:
1 Cav Divisions
2 Landsturm Inf Divisions
1 Landsturm Inf Brigade
1 Mountain Artillery Brigade

Woyrsch Group (German Landwehr Corps)-2 Inf divisions

Dniester Group:
1 Inf Div
1 Cav Div
5 Landsturm Brigades
1 Mountain Artillery Brigade

1st army:
I Corps-2 Inf Divs
V Corps-3 Inf Divs
X Corps-3 Inf Divs
2 Cav Divs
1 Inf Div
4 Landsturm Inf Brigades
3 Marsch Brigades
Polish Legion
(9 divs, 2 cav, 7 brgds, legion)

2nd army:
XII Corps-3 Inf Divs
III Corps-3 Inf Divs
VIII Corps-2 Inf Divs
IV Corps-2 Inf Divs, 1 mrsch brgd
2 Cav Divs
3 Marsch Brigades
(10 Divs, 2 cav, 4 Brgds)

3rd army:
XI Corps-1 Inf Div, 1 Lst Brgd, 1 Mrsch Brgd
XIV Corps-3 Inf Divs, 1 Inf Brgd
VII Corps-2 Inf Divs
4 Inf Divs
2 Cav Divs
2 Lst Brgds
5 Mrsch Brgds
(10 Divs, 2 Cav, 10 Brgds)

4th army:
II Corps-3 Inf Divs
VI Corps-3 Inf Divs
IX Corps-2 Inf Divs
XVII Corps-2 Inf Divs
3Cav Divs
3 Mrsch Brgd
1 Mt Art Brgd
(10 Divs, 3 Cav, 3 Brgds)

AOK-
Lemberg
(OTL Lemberg garrison+OTL Przemysl garrison and field fortifications)

Dniester Group - There were 5 Second-line Landstrumm March Brigades (I assuming you mean them) they like all the traditional 14 March Brigades were rolled into the Army OTL to replace the ridiculously high losses the A-H took during 1914. So using them for the Dniester Group it completely legit at the start of a conflict. There were also 17 2nd-line Territorial Brigades (the 12th is one of the Brigades that was given to the Polish Legion in 1914) so a few of them could also be tapped for the Dniester force.
What's your source on this? I'm using the AH official history, sans Beilage :(, as mine.
Edit:
http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/aug14.htm
Found them. Any idea about the quality of the territorials? I suspect they only had rifles like the Landsturm and probably used outdated rifles too. Any idea if these were part of AG Rohr in Italy???

Edit: Revised likely deployment plan for East Galicia.

trnpl.jpg

A very interesting premise and one I hope you explore further.

I've been slowly reading up on the pre-war and early war WW1 Eastern Front after my disastrously silly Franz Joseph Screams and Leaps idea, so this thread will be of great interest.

Well I am at work, so this will only be from memory. If I remember correctly Rohr had a Fortress Brigade and 1 Territorial Brigade (I starting to think each military region had one) at first. Also, one of the 19 Independent Infrantry Brigades is in Pola, so it could be pulled rather than just letting it merge with the local garrision like it did OTL. I am not sure about the effectiveness of the Territorial Brigades, but every commander who could did seem to grab them. So, I am guessing they were at least average.

Landstrum Bridages - Are these what I am calling Independant Infantry Brigades?

I am wondering if the 5 second line Landsturm Brigades might be the forces that were stuck in Bosnia to keep the people beat down. Potiorek was a tyrannt in Bosnia. I say that because I cannot find any other floating troops other than the 1 Indepedant Brigade in Pola and one other Indepedent Brigade that I cannot locate.

Krummer group - Was that Mountain Artillery Brigade OTL? There was another unit there, but I was not sure what it was so I did not mention it.

I am assuming you re-orged some of the forces for this discussion, based on the most likely deployment? Otherwise our troops lists appear very different.

The Polish Legion was a Battalion sized unit at the start of the war. It was more PR then effective. The 6 Companies of GrenzJager sent to Albania are probably more combat effective.

I noticed you mentioned the Marsch Brigades, I was under the impression they were designed as Training & Manpower reserve pools. In OTL with the high losses the Marsch Brigades were put on the front lines and they got slaughtered. Which was sad because that was effectively 7 Divisions (14 Marsch Brigades) worth of men that was waisted OTL.

Anyway, I definitely like this idea and thanks for starting it.

Deleted member 1487

Well I am at work, so this will only be from memory. If I remember correctly Rohr had a Fortress Brigade and 1 Territorial Brigade (I starting to think each military region had one) at first. Also, one of the 19 Independent Infrantry Brigades is in Pola, so it could be pulled rather than just letting it merge with the local garrision like it did OTL. I am not sure about the effectiveness of the Territorial Brigades, but every commander who could did seem to grab them. So, I am guessing they were at least average.

Landstrum Bridages - Are these what I am calling Independant Infantry Brigades?

I am wondering if the 5 second line Landsturm Brigades might be the forces that were stuck in Bosnia to keep the people beat down. Potiorek was a tyrannt in Bosnia. I say that because I cannot find any other floating troops other than the 1 Indepedant Brigade in Pola and one other Indepedent Brigade that I cannot locate.

Krummer group - Was that Mountain Artillery Brigade OTL? There was another unit there, but I was not sure what it was so I did not mention it.

I am assuming you re-orged some of the forces for this discussion, based on the most likely deployment? Otherwise our troops lists appear very different.

The Polish Legion was a Battalion sized unit at the start of the war. It was more PR then effective. The 6 Companies of GrenzJager sent to Albania are probably more combat effective.

I noticed you mentioned the Marsch Brigades, I was under the impression they were designed as Training & Manpower reserve pools. In OTL with the high losses the Marsch Brigades were put on the front lines and they got slaughtered. Which was sad because that was effectively 7 Divisions (14 Marsch Brigades) worth of men that was waisted OTL.

Anyway, I definitely like this idea and thanks for starting it.

It looks like the garrison of Bosnia were various Landsturm brigades/equivalent units. These were garrisons of various fortresses in the province. There is no indication of the territorial brgds and 2nd line Marsch units in the official history OOB AFAIK.

I did definitely reorg the forces, because it made no sense to have a 14-16 division 2nd army and a 4-6 division 3rd army.

The Indp Inf Brgds=Lst Inf Brgds. They have no artillery besides the obsolete field guns and no machine guns.

The Kummer group, according to the Official History, did have the mountain artillery in August 1914.

Marsch brigades were used in combat all the time in 1914 and early 1915 despite explicit orders not to do so. However, even in August 1914 there was a new corps organized with 1 infantry division and two marsch brigades, seemingly indicating they were to act as the equivalent of an infantry division themselves (XVII corps).

Thanks for your interest, I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, besides the tangentially related "Austro-Hungarian Tannenberg" by Tom_B.

Maybe I will explore this topic, I've had a desire to do a AH TL. I've already worked out an outline.

Deleted member 1487

Rough Outline

Bomb is thrown at the car of FF in Sarajevo, killing everyone inside, including Potiorek, Sophia, and FF

Conrad presses for war and appoints the Archduke Eugene to the 6th army and the Serbian theater. Consulting with his old mentor, Conrad makes several changes to the OTL plan of events.

War declared on Serbia July 25th, general mobilization preparations taken, but only the 5th and 6th AH armies are mobilized. All other forces give warning orders and prepare everything short of full mobilization.

After delivering his note to FJ on July 29th, Conrad is given the green light to order full mobilization on July 30th.

6 groups are formed in Galicia: (from left to right Kummer, 1st army, 4th army, 3rd army, 2nd army, and Georgenegg detachment (Dniester group formed around the 11th Schützen division stationed at Czernowitz).

There is no wide cavalry reconnaissance ITTL, leaving AH cavalry forces rested.

Kummer is ready on the 12th of August, 1st army on 16th, 4th on the 18th, 3rd on the 24th, 2nd on 23rd, and Georgenegg on the 16th (he attacks earlier than this to secure Chotin).

Dankl (1st army) attacks north on the 17th, meeting the Russians around Borzechow between Krasnik and Lublin on the 21st, catching them in the flank, destroying half the 4th army while the rest retreat to Lublin and the swampy land around it.

The Russian 5th is forced to move out before it is assembled to aid them, crossing the Wieprz river too late to help, but quick enough to draw off some of the AH 1st army. This pulls the Russians to the West and makes them easy prey for the advancing AH 4th army.

Reinforced by the XIV corps from the AH 3rd army, Auffenburg (4th army) presses north on the 19th and clashes with the Russians starting August 23rd at Grabowiec, north of Komarow. Fighting grinds on until the 31st when Russian resistance collapses and most of the army is encircled, surrendering on the 2nd of September. The equivalent of 1 depleted corps escapes with half its artillery, plus enough cavalry for 1 division.

In East Galicia the Russians clash with the AH 2nd and 3rd armies starting August 26th, with many bloody engagements in the heavily forested hills and steep valleys of the Bug and Dniester tributaries.

Tarnopol falls on the 28th and AH 2nd army falls back behind the Sereth.
AH 3rd army is outnumbered and gunned along the Bug, fighting desperately to hold the line. Brudermann (AH 3rd) is outclassed by Ruszki (Russian 3rd) and is forced to steadily retreat, though the rugged hills and marshy ground delay the Russians, preventing a rout. Brudermann is sacked after losing 20k men at Busk on the 30th, ordering a suicidal bayonet assault with Landsturm and Marsch Brigade troops, allowing the Russians to break the Bug line. He is sacked and replaced by the more competent Boroevic.

Boroevic orders a major pull back to save his battered forces, but draws a line in the sand. Böhm-Ermolli is forced to retreat to the Zlota Lipa, despite his victories, to cover his flanks. Dniester group pulls back too to aid 2nd army.

As the war continues into September, Russian reserve divisions become available and they begin organizing an invasion of Bukowina by their 7th army, which has been guarding the Romanian border.

By September 6th AH 4th army forces had taken Cholm and doubled back to assist the embattled 3rd. After receiving the significant reinforcements, the Russian 3rd army paused its headlong rush into the AH 3rd and turned to fight the AH 4th.

Battle of Lemberg begins on September 8th, as AH 3rd army is pushed back near the city and the AH 4th army joins the battle. Heavy fighting as both sides pour on in their reserves. Ruszki's Russian 3rd army is defeated after being fixed and flanked, but is able to escape thanks to the AH 3rd army being too battered and exhausted to pursue very far, as is the AH 4th.

Russian forces in East Galicia fall back on the Sereth river and Brody, setting up a defensive line, using newly arrived corps and independent divisions to establish a continuous line. The Russian 7th army still attacks between the Pruth and Dniester rivers, falling short of taking Czernowitz.

Further Northwest near Ivangorod the AH, German, and Russian forces are locked in a bitter struggle without moving the line much. Supply difficulties are preventing the Austro-Germans from moving forward, even with the help of a brigade of Skoda mortars, while Russian reinforcements only allow them to hold the line, not pierce AH field works.

By late September the lines have bogged down with both sides having traded territory and large cities, though the AHs have gotten the best of the fighting, with nearly 200,000 PoWs captured. Large stores of Russian stores were captured at Lublin and Cholm, along with hundreds of artillery pieces. In east Galicia though the situation was somewhat dire. The Russians had taken a beating, losing up over half their August strength, but they had been reinforced. The AHs had not been, other than receiving 2nd line replacements. They had lost about half of their forces, with the 3rd army reduced to 40% of its prewar strength. 4th army was the best off, even with its losses in two separate struggles. The elite XIV corps was ironically one of the strongest remaining forces, having operated on the flanks during both attacks instead of suffering through frontal assaults like many other units.

AH ammunition stores were dangerously low, with captured Russian stocks only helping if crews could be trained to use their guns. The Russians on the other hand still had significant reserves in their fortresses and in storage, but were having difficulties bringing them to the front. October saw the AHs trying to push into Poland, while focusing most of their resources keeping the resurgent Russians at bay in East Galicia.

Any thoughts about this so far?

It looks like the garrison of Bosnia were various Landsturm brigades/equivalent units. These were garrisons of various fortresses in the province. There is no indication of the territorial brgds and 2nd line Marsch units in the official history OOB AFAIK.

I did definitely reorg the forces, because it made no sense to have a 14-16 division 2nd army and a 4-6 division 3rd army.

The Indp Inf Brgds=Lst Inf Brgds. They have no artillery besides the obsolete field guns and no machine guns.

The Kummer group, according to the Official History, did have the mountain artillery in August 1914.

Marsch brigades were used in combat all the time in 1914 and early 1915 despite explicit orders not to do so. However, even in August 1914 there was a new corps organized with 1 infantry division and two marsch brigades, seemingly indicating they were to act as the equivalent of an infantry division themselves (XVII corps).

Thanks for your interest, I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, besides the tangentially related "Austro-Hungarian Tannenberg" by Tom_B.

Maybe I will explore this topic, I've had a desire to do a AH TL. I've already worked out an outline.

I was following your Moltke v2, so I would prefer you do not stop that even if it requires the major re-write you referred to in that thread. I also was following Tom_B's Tannenberg, but I think that one has died a tragic death.

First off, I well admit that my knowledge of A-H and my sources appear to be of far less quality than yours. So, please take my statements/suggestions with a grain of salt. My primary source of OOB data is the site you mentioned above:
http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/

The books I have already read (I am cutting the titles down to type quicker):
The Economics of WW1 by Broadberry & Harrison
The Last Years of Austrian-Hungary by Cornwell
Decline and Fall of the Habsburg Empire by Sked
Origins of the First World War by Martel (Skimmed this as it appeared to re-hash what I already know)
I also have read &/or bookmarked a few Encyclopedias from 1916-1918 through Google Books to get stats on the countries involved & data as the people at the time saw things.
Besides the Encyclopedias I have also found a few web pages written by people who were interested in A-H or WW1. They can be as semi-professional as Naval-history.net to completely unprofessional as someone just writing their own opinions.

I also own or just bought, but have not read:
Austria-Hungary Naval Policy by Vego
Naval History of WW1 by Halpern
Balkans Battles by Root
The White War: Italian Front by Thompson
Eastern Front by Stone
WW1 Data Book by Cox
Dissolution of the Austrian-Hungary Empire by Mason
Fall of the House of Habsburg by Crankshaw
First World War by Strachan

I will be honest my primary focus on WW1 is A-H, as I have a soft spot for the Habsburgs in general. Kind of weird for an American with French, Italian, & Portuguese ancestry, but I like history and that family is very woven into the history of Europe.

Lastly, I found another reference to the Territorial Brigades on the A-H Military Mail site (I just recently started looking at this site):
http://www.austrianphilately.com/dixnut/dn6e6.htm scroll down to near the very bottom under Other Lst formations. The 5th joined Rohr and the 12th was under Pflanzer-Baltin.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

The following link provides probably the best overview of events in English on the Eastern Front:
http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Eastern_European_Front_Campaigns

There are more detailed descriptions of each campaign on the website, but for some reason the search function there doesn't work. So you'll need to google search the name and include 1911. AH military mail is a gem too.

I've read most of those books you mention, they are all worthwhile (though I'm not a big naval fan).
Blood on the Snow by Graydon Tunstall is a must have too, but it is poorly written. Despite that, the information is tremendous.

I do have a major AH interest after studying abroad in Vienna. Something about the doomed, yet noble enterprise, especially in light of what came after, makes me want to imagine it surviving somehow.

I am a bit frustrated with the Marne w/o Moltke right now, so I may take a break to collect my thoughts while exploring this topic briefly. I get a bit ADD with long TLs.

Valdemar II

Banned
If AH doesn't invade Serbia would Serbia try to invade AH? Another aspect what will it mean for AHs prestige and morale that they doesn't invade Serbia right away (of course I doubt it can be worse than OTL defeats)?

Another element, it has been mentioned that the loss to Russian, ment that much of the Austrian standing army was lost or captured. Here without the loss of their most experienced soldiers, could we see a greater quantity in the later conscriped army?

Deleted member 1487

If AH doesn't invade Serbia would Serbia try to invade AH? Another aspect what will it mean for AHs prestige and morale that they doesn't invade Serbia right away (of course I doubt it can be worse than OTL defeats)?

Absolutely. The Serbs invaded Southern Hungary and Bosnia in September OTL and would do so here, because they thought Serb minorities there would revolt. Didn't happen and they got cut up, even after beating the AHs in August.

I'd think any sort of 'prestige' lost would be compensated for by victories over the tougher foe Russia.

Another element, it has been mentioned that the loss to Russian, ment that much of the Austrian standing army was lost or captured. Here without the loss of their most experienced soldiers, could we see a greater quantity in the later conscriped army?

It depends. They could still lose a major portion of veterans during the opening battles even if victorious. Much depends too on how stable the front is; does it make sense to withdraw experienced soldiers to train new ones? Furthermore replacements would get more time to train if the front is quiet for longer periods.

Additionally the issue of NCO and officer replacement becomes key; are the necessary language skills available to replacement and reserve officers posted to various units? The morale issue matters here too, because if the different ethnic groups feel that AH is winning they will be more loyal, just as they will be they feel their lives aren't being thrown away frivolously.

The final major issue in determining effectiveness in combat would be production. OTL the AHs didn't have enough of anything, because the loss of Galicia, which produced 1/3 of food and 1/2 of the horses in the empire; artillery shell production was a joke with 188,000 shells produced in the first 5 months of war; 240,000 were needed WEEKLY; and artillery was out of date, meaning it was out-ranged and out-fired by its opponent. These deficiencies were made up by 1916, but that is 1.5 years down the road.

Speaking for the AHs ITTL is that they will capture large stocks of Russian artillery and supplies, while keeping Galicia safe (mostly) ensuring its oil, horses, and food keep flowing. Also, they won't lose the large quantities of stores and equipment in either Galicia or Serbia during the retreats there. Most crucially they won't be losing the 1,500 locomotives in Galicia in 1914 (OTL they were only able to produce 350 for the entire war to replace them!), not to mention the 15,000 cars attached to them.

Overall things are looking up for AH compared to OTL, though its likely they still lose 250,000+ men in August/September. But the Russians will lose many more, probably 4-500,000, double what happened historically. The loss of artillery and stores will be damaging to them as well. Morale won't take a hit either and people won't question Habsburg competence in the Empire, which should prevent the OTL Czech sabotage from 1915 onward.

In short AH will avoid losses (men, material, productive land), inflict more (crucial too, as they will have lower morale, question their leaders, and lose hard to replace material, as well as have their land invaded), and perhaps attract neutrals to their side when possible (Bulgaria held back OTL because of their losses against Serbia, Italy attacked them based on their losses, Romania likewise, but they could actually break for the Central Powers if properly motivated).

OTL the AHs lost 1.25 million men in 1914 and probably another million in January-May 1915. They were wiped out early on, whereas here that won't happen and there won't be a massive refugee problem either. The Habsburg army will still be less than competent, as will their government, but they will have a better chance and Russia will lack the early victories which held their armies and nation together until 1916-1917.

Wow you post fast. I posted before I saw your "Rough Outline." Here is my feedback:
I like to how that all played out, A-H does better but their weak army (A-H 3rd Army) & numerical inferiority allow the Russians to still hold a decent advantage. I have one question, who is Georgenegg? I did a few Google searches and other than seeing he was a General of Infantry I cannot find a bio about him. Was he special? I believe Kovess was the senior Corps Commander in the A-H at the time, which is sort of a slap in his face that a lot of his juniors got to command armies when he was still stuck as a Corps Commander. I mention it, as I figured he or the retiring Pflanzer-Baltin would be the likely candidates to lead the Dniester Group.

With a large chunk of Galicia not getting overrun, and getting a large part of Western Poland not destroyed in the fighting means little to no food riots in Germany and the Austrian portion of A-H. Plus the added advantage of a better diet among the citizenry and troops. How much equipment was lost OTL by the A-H during the Battle of Galicia as they still have over 100K (mostly the Przemysl garrison plus other forces taking refugee there) men surrendering to the Russians?

According to the book Oil Empire visions of Prosperity in Austrian Galicia, the A-H was the 3rd largest producer of oil in the world during this time period (the wells would mostly dry up by the 1920s though). Only the U.S. & Russia produced more oil. So, the German War economy would love the Galician oil (the Russians ignored it OTL), and it would help give the A-H something beyond food to sell to the Germans to buy both Industrial goods & Armaments. Also, better trade between Germany and A-H might lessen the impact of the war giving both governments more tax revenue, better economies, and happier citizens.

I personally feel the Czechs were going to be disloyal no matter what. I did some research into the Czechs trying to come up with a Pre-1900 POD event that would turn the Czechs into a pro-Habsburg group. I found nothing the Bohemia question is equal to the Modern day East Jerusalem question one side has to lose period. Also, after the 1880s the Czechs stopped submitting reform ideas, and each successive generation was getting more anti-Habsburg. Yes Taaffe tried to submit a reform in the 1890s to please the Czechs, but not only did it fail to be accepted by the Germans even the Czechs rejected it. Frequently I think the Hungarians get a worse rap than they deserve, when the Empire needed them most the Hungarians joined the Army in record numbers in WW1. The Czechs get no bad rap even though it was essentially the Czechs that actually killed the Empire by lobbying for an independent nation in 1914/1915.

However, the Ruthenians would probably be a lot more loyal. Yes, there was a decent size Pro-Russian minority, but a lot of Ruthenians were Fence-Sitters. So, a few Habsburg victories coupled with the fact the Habsburgs treat them better than the Russians treat their Ruthenians could sway public opinion. In Poles case if the Central Powers can take and hold Warsaw Early to Mid 1915, and with A-H doing better than the Germans would probably be more willing to play ball with Charles Stephen being King of Poland. Obviously, Germany would get to be very “influential” in the formation of the Polish Army. I am saying early 1915 to mid 1915 since Franz Joseph needs to be alive & well, as Crown Prince/Emperor Charles did not seem to want to give Charles Stephen the o.k. to be King of Poland. I am not suggesting the A-H give up Galicia, I just do not see them giving up that much land. However, they could easily give Krakow and all other lands north of the Vistula. This gives Poland both its ancient and new capitol. Plus it potentially causes the Russian Polish troops to switch sides &/or revolt. The Archbishop of Krakow at the time was an Austrian born Polish Noble too, so we would definitely crown Charles Stephen.

Personally, I think the Italians were going to back stab the Central Powers either way, the only differences is they could get the Entente to promise them even more. However, the Romanians could be Neutral or most likely they jump in right before Russia looks like they are going down to grab Bessarabia. Also, something like ½ of Romania’s trade was with the A-H so financially speaking supporting the Central Powers would make sense.

I am not the biggest Navy person either (did 6 years in the U.S. Army), but I feel like in the Central Powers case they completely under used their surface ships. Germany is the obvious example, but you would have to change the Kaiser and his advisors mindset. In the A-H case they never really tried to break the Otranto Barrage until 1917. The A-H navy had 3 sea worthy Dreadnaughts at the start of the war, 3 semi-dreadnaughts, and 6 pre-Dreadnaughts. Yes, a combined Italian-French Fleet will kill you, but the French and British never really supported the Italian navy with thier own ships. Also the Italian navy is not that much bigger than the Austrian-Hungary navy. Plus the Italians have colonies and trade routes to protect so their whole navy cannot be thrown at you. Instead the A-H navy shelled a few Italian cities, made a few half-hearted attempts on the Barrage, and basically hung out in port the rest of the time during the war. Not counting the A-H subs that actually did something useful like commerce raiding.

Lastly, thanks for the book title and Eastern Front link. I just bought the book on Amazon with a few books on WW1 Air Combat and Airplanes. I am trying to read up on multiple aspects of WW1, so I can offer decent suggestions in the future. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Don't have a huge amount of time now

Not sure why the AH would not wear out their cav divisions doing recon. I get the impression that was in accord with doctrine

They can hold off on an invasion of Serbia BUT not indefinitely If the Eastern Front stabilizes in Nov there could be well be a Dec invasion. BTW I only recently found out that Serbia had considerable copper ore esp. at Bor. Do you know if the CP made good use of that?

Are you suggesting either a 1915 Brusilov offensive or a 1915 Russian Revolution? My vote is for none of the above. The Tsar was very reluctant to acknowledge of the incompetence of Ivanov. Also the amount of artillery needed to make a Brusilov offensive work will not be available in 1915.

An early Russian Revolution along the lines of the February Revolution OTL is highly unlikely (and an early Bolshevik Revolution almost impossible). What is somewhat possible in 1915 (but still not probable) is a revolution which deposes the Tsar and replaces him with Grand Duke Nikolai (Stone does briefly mention this possibility). It will be noted that the Grand Duke was a hopeless Francophile so this is not in itself a separate peace. He would shoot/hang and/or strangle Rasputin and send the Tsarina to a nunnery which would make the Russian war economy a notch or two more efficient.

Deleted member 1487

First of all thanks for your service. It is appreciated.
Wow you post fast. I posted before I saw your "Rough Outline." Here is my feedback:
I like to how that all played out, A-H does better but their weak army (A-H 3rd Army) & numerical inferiority allow the Russians to still hold a decent advantage. I have one question, who is Georgenegg? I did a few Google searches and other than seeing he was a General of Infantry I cannot find a bio about him. Was he special? I believe Kovess was the senior Corps Commander in the A-H at the time, which is sort of a slap in his face that a lot of his juniors got to command armies when he was still stuck as a Corps Commander. I mention it, as I figured he or the retiring Pflanzer-Baltin would be the likely candidates to lead the Dniester Group.

I chose Georgenegg because he would be the ranking officer in the Dniester Group, which was often how command over these things was decided, and the 43rd Schützen Division, his unit, was stationed pre-war in Czernowitz and knew the region better than anyone, probably also having a defense scheme worked out as a staff exercise. Pf-Baltin isn't activated yet for health reasons, only being able to organize the Transylvanian defenses. Koevess is needed to command his corps, which won't be part of the Dniester group.

With a large chunk of Galicia not getting overrun, and getting a large part of Western Poland not destroyed in the fighting means little to no food riots in Germany and the Austrian portion of A-H. Plus the added advantage of a better diet among the citizenry and troops. How much equipment was lost OTL by the A-H during the Battle of Galicia as they still have over 100K (mostly the Przemysl garrison plus other forces taking refugee there) men surrendering to the Russians?

The food problem was much more complex than just not losing Galicia, as the empire, pre-war with free trade for unlimited nitrates, still only produced 90% of the nation's need. Now fertilizers are needed to make explosives. There will still be problems, especially as Hungary OTL sold their excess grain to Germany, not Austria, and refused to provide even the army with the necessary amounts of food, as the Germans paid better. Austria and Hungary were run as two separate war economies and the Hungarians milked it for every advantage, hurting the nation for profit; ie the workers at Skoda had their rations cut so Hungary could raise more capital from Germany, which went into private hands instead of the war effort. They would also withhold food to extract political concessions, such as how much money they needed to contribute to the war effort.

As far as equipment losses, by September 28th AH lost just under 1000 guns out of 2300 in Galicia IIRC, NOT including Przemysl. That fort wasn't lost until March 1915, which was another 1000 guns (all obsolete).

According to the book Oil Empire visions of Prosperity in Austrian Galicia, the A-H was the 3rd largest producer of oil in the world during this time period (the wells would mostly dry up by the 1920s though). Only the U.S. & Russia produced more oil. So, the German War economy would love the Galician oil (the Russians ignored it OTL), and it would help give the A-H something beyond food to sell to the Germans to buy both Industrial goods & Armaments. Also, better trade between Germany and A-H might lessen the impact of the war giving both governments more tax revenue, better economies, and happier citizens.

A distant 3rd IIRC. Trade wasn't an option, though resources flowed freely between the governments. The war economy took everything and trade was only reserved for goods not produced at home/were needed to prevent AH from collapsing. OTL Germany got nearly all of Galician oil anyway, but here the flow wouldn't be interrupted.

I personally feel the Czechs were going to be disloyal no matter what. I did some research into the Czechs trying to come up with a Pre-1900 POD event that would turn the Czechs into a pro-Habsburg group. I found nothing the Bohemia question is equal to the Modern day East Jerusalem question one side has to lose period. Also, after the 1880s the Czechs stopped submitting reform ideas, and each successive generation was getting more anti-Habsburg. Yes Taaffe tried to submit a reform in the 1890s to please the Czechs, but not only did it fail to be accepted by the Germans even the Czechs rejected it. Frequently I think the Hungarians get a worse rap than they deserve, when the Empire needed them most the Hungarians joined the Army in record numbers in WW1. The Czechs get no bad rap even though it was essentially the Czechs that actually killed the Empire by lobbying for an independent nation in 1914/1915.

I have no love for the Czechs, as they were true fence sitters, the political classes having come to the decision to support both sides (AH publicly and the Entente privately by passing information to them) to get benefits no matter who won; however, the majority proved patriotic until late 1914-early 1915 as they realized the Habsburgs were incompetent, did not stand up to Hungary, and sacrificed their young men indifferently, THEN called them traitors. Already having problems with Austria before the war, things started getting ugly when blood started to flow. Remember too that the most successful army in August 1914, the AH 4th, was 75% Czech-Slovak. The Czechs had an exaggerated sense of importance and refused to compromise after getting dumped on for generations, but I can find little fault for demanding rights like the Hungarians had, especially as the majority of industry in the Empire was located in Bohemia, the richest province in the Empire.

The Hungarians were good people, their leaders, the hereditary nobility that owned 80% of the land in the country (making up only 5% of the population), were not. They were greedy, autocratic, and chauvanistic (in the national sense). They were far worse than any group in Europe outside the Russian nobility. The Hungarian nobility was the only group allowed to vote for parliament (one had to own so much land/have so much money), meaning that only 5-10% of the population could vote. In 1890-1900 2 million ethnic Magyars left the country for the US to even find a job that sustained life. This was out of a population of about 12 million ethnic Magyars. Nearly 20% of the population fled the country to survive. Remittance payments to family left behind, either to get them out or sustain them were a major part of the economy. The only other job was substance farming on plantations owned by the nobles. I am not kidding, Hungary existed in modern feudalism in 1914. The 'middle class' jobs were 75% held by Jews from Galicia or Austrians migrating to fill the education void. This was still only about 10% or less of the population.

Preceding the war the nobility (remember they were VERY different than the Hungarian people) refused to allow the mandated draftees to report for duty without political and economic concessions (ie tariffs against foreign grains, which would cut into their profits, despite being cheaper), held back funding for the army and left the nation vulnerable. When the war started they held back food, even though the population at large volunteered and fought VERY well for the Empire, letting the Austrian half of the Empire starve, a DIRECT cause of Czech bitterness and disloyalty (why should they starve while making weapons for the army or dying in it while the Hungarian nobility lined their pockets?) A VERY telling event occurred in the last months of the war/early peace was angry Hungarian veterans murdering many of the political leaders of the Hungarian Kingdom (nobles all) including Count Tisza.

Why didn't the Hungarian people revolt if things were so bad you ask? Many were uneducated, as public education stopped after 5 grade IIRC, and were told by their bosses that gains made for the 'Hungarian Kingdom' were good for them. The Austrians were blamed for things being so bad for the peasant (fitting, if loaded, term) in Hungary and the average farm laborer didn't have time to read or educate himself on the issues. So popular anger that the Hungarian nobility stirred up was directed at the Austrians, despite being the cause of it themselves. Vote-rigging, violence, and intimidation were all common in the Hungarian parliament as the middle class tried to get universal male suffrage passed or minority rights pushed through. Honestly, the VAST majority of the ethnic problems in the Empire were the fault of the Hungarians.

However, the Ruthenians would probably be a lot more loyal. Yes, there was a decent size Pro-Russian minority, but a lot of Ruthenians were Fence-Sitters. So, a few Habsburg victories coupled with the fact the Habsburgs treat them better than the Russians treat their Ruthenians could sway public opinion. In Poles case if the Central Powers can take and hold Warsaw Early to Mid 1915, and with A-H doing better than the Germans would probably be more willing to play ball with Charles Stephen being King of Poland. Obviously, Germany would get to be very “influential” in the formation of the Polish Army. I am saying early 1915 to mid 1915 since Franz Joseph needs to be alive & well, as Crown Prince/Emperor Charles did not seem to want to give Charles Stephen the o.k. to be King of Poland. I am not suggesting the A-H give up Galicia, I just do not see them giving up that much land. However, they could easily give Krakow and all other lands north of the Vistula. This gives Poland both its ancient and new capitol. Plus it potentially causes the Russian Polish troops to switch sides &/or revolt. The Archbishop of Krakow at the time was an Austrian born Polish Noble too, so we would definitely crown Charles Stephen.

Yes, better AH actions would probably mean a Habsburg Poland. But creating it would create problems in Galicia, something Kaiser Karl was acutely aware of, hence his feet dragging. Franz Josef is not a lock for an independent Poland either. Remember Krakow sits on top of the only major rail line into Galicia that doesn't run through Hungary/the Carpathians. It is a year round line, versus the Carpathian passes, which close in the Winter.

The Ruthenians hated the empire. They were not loyal in the majority, nor fence sitters. They wanted to be Russian because the Poles treated them badly, just as bad as the Hungarian nobility treated everyone in their half of the empire. It wasn't the Austrians doing it, but they let the Polish nobility do what it wanted, which included suppressing the Ruthenians and forcing them to learn Polish, as they intended to make the whole province a part of Poland in the future. The Poles played ball because the Austrians cut them a sweet day: they could be the rulers over their province if they voted against the Czechs. This alienated the Ruthenians, which is why the locals helped the Russians in 1914-1915. It didn't matter how the Russians treated Ruthenians, they just knew that it was better being under Russian rather than Polish rule.

Personally, I think the Italians were going to back stab the Central Powers either way, the only differences is they could get the Entente to promise them even more. However, the Romanians could be Neutral or most likely they jump in right before Russia looks like they are going down to grab Bessarabia. Also, something like ½ of Romania’s trade was with the A-H so financially speaking supporting the Central Powers would make sense.
I'm not so sure about that. The Italians were opportunists (no offense to your heritage, just the Italian politicians at that time) who saw AH lose to the Serbs twice, and the Russians repeatedly, with the AH army devastated and subordinate to the Germans by 1915. It was supposed to be easy pickings. If the AHs are winning here and are able to crush Serbia eventually I don't see them risking war, especially if they can trade and make money while levering concessions out of the AHs. OTL it was a close run thing and took threats and intimidation, as well as a huge amount of money to influence the Italians to war.

Agreed on Romania.

I am not the biggest Navy person either (did 6 years in the U.S. Army), but I feel like in the Central Powers case they completely under used their surface ships. Germany is the obvious example, but you would have to change the Kaiser and his advisors mindset. In the A-H case they never really tried to break the Otranto Barrage until 1917. The A-H navy had 3 sea worthy Dreadnaughts at the start of the war, 3 semi-dreadnaughts, and 6 pre-Dreadnaughts. Yes, a combined Italian-French Fleet will kill you, but the French and British never really supported the Italian navy with thier own ships. Also the Italian navy is not that much bigger than the Austrian-Hungary navy. Plus the Italians have colonies and trade routes to protect so their whole navy cannot be thrown at you. Instead the A-H navy shelled a few Italian cities, made a few half-hearted attempts on the Barrage, and basically hung out in port the rest of the time during the war. Not counting the A-H subs that actually did something useful like commerce raiding.

Fuel was the problem. AH oil was lost in September, so its hard to power your ships when the Romanians have an embargo on selling oil too (only lifted after Gorlice-Tarnow). Also the AH's don't really need to unblock the Adriatic. Their most important port was Hamburg, as the Elbe connected them to German ports and the major shipping routes of the world. The Adriatic and Medditerranean was secondary at best. Also, to fight the British and French in the Med was not an option, least of all because the big ships did not have the range to operate outside the Adriatic for long without friendly ports to take on fuel. I agree that more could have been done, but AH was focused more on preserving their fleet for defensive actions and didn't want to lose anything which would hurt morale further. Plus the Italian torpedo boats were freakin' deadly. They were VERY good with those things, so its dangerous to use a dreadnought when you might get swarmed.

Don't have a huge amount of time now

Not sure why the AH would not wear out their cav divisions doing recon. I get the impression that was in accord with doctrine
Trying to give AH every advantage, but I know this is a very long shot. Probably should take that out.

They can hold off on an invasion of Serbia BUT not indefinitely If the Eastern Front stabilizes in Nov there could be well be a Dec invasion. BTW I only recently found out that Serbia had considerable copper ore esp. at Bor. Do you know if the CP made good use of that?
True. Yes, they did, as they turned the nation into a resource farm in 1916, exporting food and other resources to Germany and AH proper.

Are you suggesting either a 1915 Brusilov offensive or a 1915 Russian Revolution? My vote is for none of the above. The Tsar was very reluctant to acknowledge of the incompetence of Ivanov. Also the amount of artillery needed to make a Brusilov offensive work will not be available in 1915.
I was referring to a more muted version of either. Russian morale collapses at home, or the AHs are weaker being further forward on Russian territory, so a less battered Russian army in 1915 (having avoided the Carpathian campaign and the 1 million+ losses suffered there, while being closer to supply sources) are able to break the AH lines, or at least push them back into Galicia like the 1915 Black-Yellow debacle.

An early Russian Revolution along the lines of the February Revolution OTL is highly unlikely (and an early Bolshevik Revolution almost impossible). What is somewhat possible in 1915 (but still not probable) is a revolution which deposes the Tsar and replaces him with Grand Duke Nikolai (Stone does briefly mention this possibility). It will be noted that the Grand Duke was a hopeless Francophile so this is not in itself a separate peace. He would shoot/hang and/or strangle Rasputin and send the Tsarina to a nunnery which would make the Russian war economy a notch or two more efficient.
I am merely suggesting that morale starts to drop without the victories of OTL, increasing unrest at home, perhaps resulting in the Tzar taking over the army earlier.

Deleted member 1487

Here is a map of the area north of Poland and around Ivangorod in mid-September 1914 based on my outline. Kummer Group is disbanded and the forces grouped under Dankl's 1st army, while the Woyrsch corps has the West bank of the Vistula. It had 8 Skoda mortars for about 10 days, but after September 15th they were removed, having demolished all forts in range of Woyrsch's positions around Ivangorod.

Both sides are locked in from the Vistula to the Wieprz, with minor formations scattered out into the Steppe to protect their flanks.

Sept12th.jpg

Deleted member 1487

Here is East Galicia in late September after the Russian 3rd army starts to retreat and they reform their 5th army.

The AH 4th army is badly over extended, having tried to flank the Russian 3rd army, but has been utilizing captured rail stock from the Russians to supply themselves. They are also using captured Russian artillery and stores, with the AH 3rd army doing so to a lesser degree. Rail gauge conversion and link connections are being frantically worked on by conscripted labor, both Ruthenian and Russian (including PoWs).

The Russians are holding on the rivers Styr and Sereth.

In October the Dniester group will be upgraded to the Pflanzer-Baltin Group and reinforced by three newly formed (and very weak 3rd line) infantry divisions created from Transylvanian border guards, gendarme, and territorials. Pf-B will then reorganized his Landsturm brigades into full divisions, as will the other armies, which will receive modern artillery when it can be produced. In the meantime captured materials are being pressed into use, as are fortress guns (machine guns and artillery) and stores. Krakow, Przemysl, and Lemberg (to name a few) are stripped of everything, including most of the garrisons, for use at the front. It will take the rest of the year to covert everything into full useful states.

Sept20th.jpg

I like the maps.

Wiking I sent you a PM with a naval idea I was thinking of today; feel free to ignore it if you dislike it or do not think it will fit. I figure in this Timeline where they still have oil and the conflicts all happen in 1914 it is still quasi-possible.

I was under the impression the Ruthenians had more love for the Habsburgs. I thought Empress Zita basically designed their flag. Overall, it is not that important as they are of minor political power in the A-H Empire.

Do not worry about the Hertiage, my Grandmother was an immigrant not me. Also, your comment is essentially true the government was looking for the best deal, and I think all the Great Powers knew it too. Now I doubt A-H is going to give up land Trieste (definite no it is their main port); maybe Trento (Tirol has a lot of histoical meaning though). However, promising the Italians Savoy, Nice, and even Tunisia for them to be Nuetral I could definitely see. Considering the resources the Italian front tied down, not having to deal with Italy would be a huge benefit. Also, the irony of Italy getting Nice and Savoy by failing to live up to their treaty obligations just like how France got the two originally would be funny.

In regards to Galicia I was thinking along the lines similar to Turkey and Greece OTL. The polish population of Galicia will move (by choice & minor encouragement) to the indepedant Poland (some parts of which need more Poles to make a majority anyway) after the war, any non-loyal Ruthenians will be expelled to Russia (I am assuming any early peace means no Ukraine), and Russia is most likely going to expel any of their own Germans (1914 it was 2.4+ million). The Baltic Germans will move to Courland (assuming this will be annexed), or stay where they are if the entire United Baltic Duchy comes about. The southern Germans Volga and Black Sea could be enticed to move to Galicia (similar climate and available land if the Poles & Ruthenians left). Also, I am sure the A-H might try to lure colonists from Germany to Galicia. All of this would help increase the numbers of Germans in the Austrian half of the Monarchy, which may help make ruling it easier.

In regards to Imperial Russia my thoughts if they get knocked out early 1915/1916 I see them as the Facist power of a WW2 (i.e. the Germany of the alternate timeline). I doubt the Bolsheviks would win a civil war, or even if there would be a true civil war. However, I could easily see a purge to remove all the "Traitors" that caused Russia to lose. They can play Slavism compared to Aryanism. They have the manpower & industrial potential. Since the peaced early they obviously only lost because they were betrayed by those traiter Russian Germans (who they expel), and the Slavic speaking Germans (Poles). Many Poles would most likely become bi-lingual do to the economic, military, and political assocations between Germany, Austria-Hunagry, and a new Kingdom of Poland in this timeline.

Oh, The World War 1 Databook arrived today. It has got a ton OOB informaion (It shows the 17 Territory Brigades & 5 Landstrum Brigades I mentioned above, it seems they were not called up until September 1914.), maps, timelines, etc...

Anyway, keep the updates coming!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

With both fronts grinding to a halt except for some see-saw battles that just wrack up a body count, the only hope for further advance comes from the north. German forces, having been reinforced by troops from the West, savaged two Russian armies by mid-September, ending up near their borders in the north. With the Austrians asking for help and Germany now having breathing space, one option presented itself: attack south. Conrad seemingly would finally get his German attack toward Seydlitz. With the AHs lingering near Lublin, such an attack could lop off the Polish salient and trap several Russian corps. The Russian 2nd army still had not finished reforming after being crushed near Tannenberg three and half weeks prior, so stood ripe for assualt.

A 9th army was formed and promptly attacked on September 22nd. Supported by a brigade of Skoda mortars, with another on the way, the very last of the weapons in AH reserve (16 total), the Russian forts of the Narew were soon to be breached. Advancing between Soldau and Lyck, the 9th army scattered the Russian 2nd army, which retreated hastily behind the Narew. The Russian 10th army attacked furiously on the flank, but found itself bested. The Lyck river provided cover from the 10th army, but the Narew was blocked by numerous fortifications, leaving the German 9th hemmed in. Pultusk, Ostrelenka, and Lomsha were attacked in turn and fell after several weeks and limited help from the Russian field army.

The German established bridgeheads over the Narew, but now found themselves under heavy counter attack. Lasting well into October, the Germans were stymied by heavy resistance and increasing reinforcements arriving from the Russian 1st and 10th armies. These armies also attacked the German 8th, driving her back to her pre-Masurian lakes positions, but were halted thereafter. What was supposed to be a quick campaign to secure Poland now turned into an attrition struggle along the Narew. Ultimately the Germans would not be able to advance without reinforcement from the West. This would arrive in the form of the Western siege train, free from duties crushing Antwerp. This would not occur until early November with heavy losses in the meantime. The Russians suffered still greater losses thanks to the German munition advantage and professionalism of their artillery corps. Troop reinforcements also trickled in, allowing Worysch to be reinforced in the South. Finally the Russian lines could be broken, which happened by mid-November. Poland was quickly evacuated though, meaning few Russian field forces were lost.

Pulling back to the Bug-Nurez-Narew-Bobr river lines, the Russians, despite their terrible losses, were able to hold, though mainly through the attenuated German supply lines. Finally releasing the AH 1st army, locked in a bitter struggle with the Russian 4th and 9th for several weeks, the front pushed forward to natural barriers allowing some AH forces to be freed up.

By December 1st the AH front lines ran along the Bug from Brest-Litovsk to Kowel further south to the Styr and Sereth rivers. The rest of the year saw both sides lick their wounds and rebuild while improving supply lines. Army schools were formed in the rear zones of the armies to train new arrivals and retrain veterans with the accumulated knowledge of war. Both the Russians and AH lacked the necessary munitions to really shift the front lines, but both expended men to try and seize the other's trenches. Enough space remained for some maneuver, but often small arms killed just as much as artillery, limiting the scope of any advance.

Casualties were devastating for the Russians, who lost most of their prewar army in 1914, and little better for the AHs, who suffered nearly as heavily despite their significantly smaller losses thanks to their limited trained manpower. Vast sums of money and effort needed to be spent to make up for decades of neglect.