• ah-sue

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Xwarq

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Trondheim

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tormsen's map did not meet the requirements of the challenge due to it being ASB, I'm afraid.

Krall, the map was not ASB, it was a "period map". That's not the same thing. You would also have to say that Strabo drawing his map is ASB, which it is not, since it really existed.

Krall, the map was not ASB, it was a "period map". That's not the same thing. You would also have to say that Strabo drawing his map is ASB, which it is not, since it really existed.

He did'nt make it as a period map, though.

It wasn ASBWI the world actually was like that and then the map challenge using that.

Krall

Banned

As I understand it tormsen's map was set in a world where Strabo's map of the world was accurate. The comment he made in accompanying the map seemed to suggest this, too.

I suppose this might be an ASB map, but I think it meets the qualifications of the challenge...the spread of Islam on Strabo's world!

Well, I understood the 'ASB' in tormsen's comment as related to the expansion of Islam, not the world itself. Maybe he has to clarify this.

Krall

Banned
Well, I understood the 'ASB' in tormsen's comment as related to the expansion of Islam, not the world itself. Maybe he has to clarify this.

I think GodRaimundo and ah-sue's maps had Islam spread further than it did in tormsen's map.

In any case tormsen didn't dispute the decision when I made it. I think he was more annoyed because I hadn't stated that ASB maps weren't allowed, rather than the fact that I claimed that his map was ASB (though I wouldn't like to put words in his mouth, as it were).

As I understand it tormsen's map was set in a world where Strabo's map of the world was accurate. The comment he made in accompanying the map seemed to suggest this, too.

Well, he said:

Can't it be "Spread of Islam on a world where geography inexplicably stagnates with Strabo"?

He didn't say "the planet is inexplicably shaped like Strabo's map", he said that the map reflects a state of geography.

Strabo's map was the model for maps well into the 16th c. I really don't think it should be disqualified; the object of the contest is to get people to make quality maps, and tormsens' is one of the best I've seen in a long time, and no offense to any of the other contestants, as all their maps are excellent, but tormsen created one that is a step above in creativity; it's nice to see a new take on an old idea.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
I've sent tormsen a PM. If he wants to change the explanation of the map to be an in-world or period map and then be included in the voting then he can, otherwise I don't think it's worth the trouble.

I liked Tormsen's map as well, and it never occured to me that it might be an accurate representation of the world rather than a representation of the state of geography at the time.

To be perfectly honest, I never really put much thought into whether it was an ASB map or not, it really was just what it was: a map of the spread of Islam on a Strabo map as seen through an Islamic prism (really just adopting Arab placenames and changing the orientation to an Islamic South-North orientation. At the time of posting I was going to keep it ambiguous, as at the time I posted it the restriction to non-fantasy/ASB maps hadn't been mentioned. However, it's the same map whether it's a representation of a ASB world, or a period map based on a non-ASB ATL's cartography, and so for the sake of the competition I'm going to go with the latter. :D

In terms of spread-of-Islam-ness, I don't think it's ASB. Islam has actually even been less successful in some areas: note that Persia remains outside Dar al Islam, for example.

At any rate, I would be happy to be included in the voting. One question: is there a rule, or a general courtesy, not to vote for oneself? If not, I think there probably should be, last time I was unsure.

Krall

Banned
At any rate, I would be happy to be included in the voting. One question: is there a rule, or a general courtesy, not to vote for oneself? If not, I think there probably should be, last time I was unsure.

I don't think anyone would argue if you do vote for yourself, but I think there's a general courtesy that one should not do so. Plus, if someone believes their own map is so great, they ought to trust the populous as a whole to vote for it rather than having to sway the polls themselves.

Anyway, this voting thread is now defunct and invalid, since tormsen's map should be included in the voting. I will make a new voting thread with tormsen included and link to it from here when it is done.

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD FURTHER AS IT IS INVALID AND I DO NOT WANT PEOPLE CONFUSING IT FOR THE REAL VOTING THREAD.

Thank you for your compliance, citizen.

The new voting thread can be found here:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=159887

Last edited: