The legacy of Michael I of Spain, the Great

Greetings to all.

This story is my first uchronia published in this forum. As I was not very good at English, I'm using an automatic translator, so there may be some syntax errors.

The story is based on events that would occur if the infant Miguel de la Paz de Avis and Trastamara, son of King Manuel I of Portugal and Princess Isabel of Aragon and Castile (the daughter of Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile, known as the Catholic Monarchs), had survived the disease that ultimately led to the death with only two years old and can unite in his person the crowns of Castile, Aragon and Portugal.

In the coming days I begin and continue to write this story.

I've seen that uchronia. However, my story is different from that in the fact that only survives the infant Miguel de la Paz. So his mother, the eldest daughter of the Catholics Monarchs, dies at his birth.
Ah. Good, then. We can have LOTS of timelines starting from the same PoD.

The legacy of Michael I of Spain, the Great

monarquiareyescatolicos.jpg

The Iberian Peninsula in the days of the Catholic Monarchs

The origins of Michael I of Spain, the Great:

Isabella of Aragon and Castile, the eldest daughter of the Catholic Monarchs, had lived an unhappy life, and much sorrow.

Everything was due to the fact that when her parents were assured their rights both in Castile and the italian kingdoms of the Crown of Aragon (mainly Napoles), they decided to implement foreign policy to the marriages of their five children. For this, the Catholic Monarchs decided that his eldest daughter should marry with the young heir to the portuguese throne, the Prince Alfonso, the only son of king John II of Portugal.

Thus, Isabella then moved to Portugal, with uncertainty over its future as it would be in their new country. The wedding was held in the city of Estremoz on 3 November 1490. At the time of the bond, Isabella had just turned 20 years, while the Prince Alfonso was just 15. Despite this difference in age, from the first moment they met they fell in love, so that what at first was a political marriage ended up being a love match.

Unfortunately, the happy marriage of Isabella and Alfonso would be of short duration: on 13 July 1491, the young prince dies of a fall from a horse. No children and devastated by grief, Isabella returns to Castile as the princess dowager of Portugal.

To show his grief over the death of her beloved husband, Isabel cut her beautiful blond hair and wears a jargon, burlap robe, covered with a thick veil. It is dedicated to live quietly deep in prayer, adopting the habit of the Poor Clares, then to his parents asking their permission to become a nun, but the Catholic Kings had other plans for her.

The Catholic Monarchs, Isabella and Ferdinand, were distressed at this, as she was their eldest daughter and the apple of their eye. While Isabella desired to coddle her daughter and grant her every desire, she had to be more pragmatic; at twenty-one, the girl was still young and capable of producing a child, making her eligible on the European marriage market. While consoling her daughter and promising to let her enter the convent of Santa Maria del Parral at the next convenient moment, the Queen of Spain plotted to find for her daughter a new husband. A husband who hopefully would not die soon and leave her offspring.

Ferdinand and Isabella wanted to marry her to the new King of Portugal, Manuel I (cousin of John II), who had known the Princess Isabella in his short stay in Portugal and was attracted to her. The dowager did not want this union, had become a great defender of the Christian faith and was very intolerant of heretics, in fact all he wanted was devoted to prayer and take the habits.

But in the end could not resist the pressure of his parents in 1496 so agrees to marry King Manuel I of Portugal, but imposes a severe condition: the Jews must be expelled from Portugal. In the first instance King Manuel hesitated because he admired the Jews for their knowledge and financial services contributing to the crown, but then agreed. So on 13 September 1497, the Catholic Monarchs and Princess Isabella set out from Medina de Campo to the border town of Valencia de Alcántara to celebrate the 30th a beautiful wedding. Shortly thereafter, Isabella returns with her new husband to Portugal, this time as the Queen consort of Portugal.

On October 6, 1497 her brother John, Prince of Asturias, died of tuberculosis, which makes Isabella the heiress of the throne of Castile and Aragon, while Philip the Fair, Duke of Burgundy and heir to the throne of the Holy Roman Empire, called the rights of his wife Juana, Catholic Monarchs' second daughter. Therefore, the Catholic Monarchs summon the kings of Portugal, who came to the monastery of Guadalupe on April 7, 1498, were welcomed very warmly by the Kings, to swear to the eldest daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella as heir to the throne Castile. However, since his arrival, Ferdinand and Isabella realized that her daughter's attitude had not changed, the queen consort of Portugal was as somber and anxious as ever. At the time of his return to Spain was already five months pregnant.

However, the Courts of Zaragoza did not cease their efforts to restrict the inheritance rights of Isabella, on the basis of the Salic law which prevailed in the Crown of Aragon. However, Ferdinand decided to wait for her oldest daughter gave birth, because the legislation aragonese accepted as heirs to any son of a princess.

Thus, on August 23, gives birth to a boy named Miguel de la Paz de Avis y Trastamara in the city of Zaragoza; an hour after the birth of their child, Isabella died.
Therefore, the infant was Miguel de la Paz, from the death of his mother, the rightful heir to the crowns of Castile and Aragon, and the heir to the Portuguese throne, being the eldest son of Manuel I of Portugal.

The Catholic Monarchs personally congratulated Manuel on the birth of his son and heir, although everyone was obviously saddened by the death of the young queen consort, Queen Isabella mainly. So when he took the matter of education he would receive the new-born heir, Isabella complained personally to educate her grandson, while Ferdinand desired to see Miguel de la Paz remain in his kingdoms; after all, he would come to someday rule these lands, and would benefit from being educated in a castillian manner. The King of Portugal didn’t wish to offend the Catholic Monarchs, as it might jeopardize relations between Portugal and Spain, and reluctantly agreed to leave his son as a ward of Isabella and Ferdinand, on the condition that important appointments concerning the boy’s future education were discussed with him. This was acceptable to the Catholic Monarchs and plans were laid to house the Prince of Peace at Granada. Manuel left for Portugal shortly after, after the burial of his beloved wife.

Thus, the kingdoms that made up the Crown of Aragon sent representatives to meet each solemnly in Zaragoza on September 22, 1498 to agree the solemn vows for the young grandson of Ferdinand and Isabella as Prince of Girona (the title that had the heir to the Crown of Aragon). Soon after, in early 1499, the Courts of Castile, congresgadas at Ocana, and on March 17, 1499 the Courts of Portugal in Lisbon, said the young Miguel de Avis y Trastamara as the legitimate heir of their respective kingdoms. Therefore, the young Miguel de Avis y Trastamara would become, in the future, the king of Castile, Aragon and Portugal. He become the first king of a united Spain.

Last edited:
By the way, if anyone asks, I have appointed Michael I of Spain and not Michael I of Iberia because at that time, both Castilian and Aragonese and Navarrese Portuguese regarded as the Iberian peninsula with the name of Spain. However, the current sense input comes from the Bourbon dynasty in the Spanish throne, as Spain ceased to be synonymous with Iberia (which began to be used by Iberist movement occurred in the nineteenth century).

Like this story is a total unity between the different kingdoms that make up the Iberian Peninsula, including Spain to Portugal.

In the coming days I continue to write this story.

Greetings.

Last edited:
Trumpets of War

However, this dream imagined by many monarchs in the different kingdoms that made up the Iberian peninsula had been about to break in the summer of 1500, and even almost degenerate into open warfare, and all for a childhood disease that untimely nearly take the life of the young heir to the thrones of Castile, Aragon and Portugal.

As mentioned earlier, Queen Isabella I of Castile longed personally educate her grandson, the only memory she had of her eldest daughter. Therefore, the very young Michael began to live in Granada, next to his maternal grandmother and numerous counselors and educators who would serve in future to become a worthy heir to his father and his maternal grandparents.

However, there Prince Michael suffered a serious childhood illness (some historians say it was the flu while others say that it was product of tuberculosis) that alarmed everyone. The child's death was as likely to Philip the Fair, upon hearing rumors of the illness of Michael, said his wife Joanna should be the legitimate heir to the thrones of Castile and Aragon, not even waiting for the heir's death.

Therefore, the Catholic Kings, scandalized by the reaction of his son-in-law (consented by his daughter Joana, who was beginning to draw some further evidence of insanity), agreed to an urgent wedding of her third daughter, Princess Mary, with the King Manuel I of Portugal, agreeing on a secret chapter of marriage, in case of death of young Prince Michael, who would inherit the inheritance rights of Castile and Aragon were the sons of this new marriage, resolutely ignoring the rights of Juana and their descendants claiming their mental problems and the likely incompatibility of joining the Castilian and Aragonese crowns with the imperial crown (remember that Philip the Fair was the eldest son of Emperor Maximilian I).

Thus, King Manuel I married her sister-in-law Mary on 15 August, 1500, whose marriage would give a total of 10 children, but none would inherit the throne, as Prince Michael then recovered completely and can live a long life that led to the unification Spain's total in a single monarch.

However, the events of that summer of 1500 had their impact on foreign policy in Europe.
In order to go better in the international situation at that time, we should look to events that occurred earlier in Italy.

Believing have neutralized Ferdinand by the Treaty of Barcelona (1493), after the death of Ferdinand I of Naples (1494), Charles VIII of France tries to obtain for himself, waving his relations with René of Anjou, the sovereignty of that kingdom. With no access Pope Alexander VI to crown, decided to satisfy their claims by military: In a swift campaign, in which Venice and the Papacy only oppose him, his armies run throughout the Italian peninsula and occupied Naples.

In April 1495 a so-called League of Venice (Milan, Venice, the Holy Roman Empire, Castile-Aragon and the Papal States) to fight the invader.

The Battle of Fornovo (July 6, 1495) ended without a clear military victory, but after it Charles VIII had to evacuate its troops from northern Italy. In the south, outnumbered and thus trying to avoid a major confrontation in the open with them, the Great Captain (Gonzalo Fernández de Cordoba) managed not to be expelled from the peninsula by the French. However, contrary to his opinion, his superior Ferdinand II of Naples (Ferdinand II of Aragon's cousin) was forced to do battle with him at Seminara (June 28, 1495), where they were defeated by Béraud Stuart.

The Spanish continued to resist and after receiving reinforcements went on the offensive and took several strongholds north of Stuart his position with the bulk of his army. Meanwhile Ferdinand II of Naples, using a popular uprising to get Gilbert of Montpensier corralling two castles of Naples, and then evict you. Ferdinand II of Aragon opened another front in the Pyrenees with France, so that the diverted troops and resources towards it. Great Captain's victory in Cosenza further tightened the siege on Montpensier, who stationed his men in Atella. The Allies took the fort in July 1496, and France remained thereafter at a distinct disadvantage.

The last major military events of the war were the Spanish conquests and Diano Guglielma Rocca in 1497. On August 4, 1498 Ferdinand the Catolic signed with Louis XII, Charles VIII's successor, the Treaty of Marcoussis, thereby finally ending the conflict.

However, the new French king, Louis XII, following the policy of his predecessor, continued to claim the duchy of Milan and Naples. With the intention of occupying northern Italy covenanted by military alliances with the Republic of Venice, which was offered in exchange for their help Cremona, and Alexander VI and his son Cesare Borgia, who gave lands in the Romagna. In August 1499 a French army crossed the Alps and marched on Milanese, under the rule of Duke Ludovico Sforza. In the French military superiority, he left Milan, which was occupied by Gian Giacomo Trivulzio commanding the troops of Louis XII.

Sforza sought the help of the Bajazet, the Turkish Sultan (already dealt with before Venice), and recruited an army of Swiss mercenaries in January to get back the principal cities of the duchy, but in April he was betrayed by the Swiss troops at Novara being caught like his brother Ascanio. Meanwhile, Cesare Borgia, meanwhile, took Imola, Forli, Rimini, Pesaro and Faenza in Romagna, with the passivity or the wisdom of small neighboring states, fearful of the coalition fighting against Franco-Venetian-papal.

Conquered the northern peninsula and before attacking Naples, Louis XII sought an alliance with the only military power capable of slowing their advance southward. Thus, in November 1500 signed by King Ferdinand II of Aragon the treaty of Granada, which both agreed to divide the kingdom of Naples: the south would be for the Crown of Aragon and the north of France. In March 1501, the Gran Capitan's troops occupied Calabria and Puglia, and in the summer following the French advanced from the north and conquered Genoa after taking Abruzzo and Labor. Frederick I of Naples, without money or army after the last war, was unable to contain the spread of both contestants, in October was deposed and his kingdom divided between Aragon and France.

However, soon arose between France and Aragon disagreements over the terms of the partition: the possession of the central provinces of Naples had not been specified in the treaty of Granada. In the fighting that followed, the Great Captain's troops soundly defeated the French in 1503 during the battles of Ruvo, Seminara, Cerignola and Garigliano. Finally, in 1504 Louis XII gave all of Naples to Ferdinand of Aragon by the Treaty of Lyon.

However, the signing of this treaty would be the last victory which would have the Queen Isabella I of Castile. On 26 November 1504, after a long agony due to uterine cancer who suffered, she died at the Royal Palace of Medina del Campo, with her husband and her beloved grandson and heir, a young Prince Michael of only 6 years old.

However, the Queen had thought of everything and had established a clear determination of how things should be developed after her death.

Thus, the young Prince Michael would become the new king of Castile as Michael I, but due to their status as minor, the Regency would go to her husband, Ferdinand II of Aragon (who since Isabella became queen of Castile, also became king of Castile and Ferdinand V of Castile), and his faithful confessor and adviser, Cardinal Cisneros. The regency acting under the supreme direction of Fernando, but the daily activity of this would be exercised by Cardinal Cisneros, except in matters of foreign policy, where the Catholic King would have carte blanche.

The will also ruled that the Regency would last until the 15th birthday of Michael I (23 August, 1513), and in case of premature death of the young king, without leaving any offspring, Michael I would be succeeded by his half-brothers, sons of Manuel I of Portugal and his aunt Mary, respecting the capitulation of the marriage of both, ignoring the rights of Philip the Fair's wife, Princess Joanna.

However, the last will of Isabella I of Castile also provided a strange term for everyone, and especially for his grandson Michael: The young Michael, when age had to marry, should marry with Anne of Navarre, the woman with more rights to inherit the throne of Navarre, to finally unite all the kingdoms that formed Spain.

In the last months of life of the Catholic Queen, she and her husband had negotiated with the Navarre's kings (Catherine I of Navarre and her husband, John III) to establish a framework for both parties. The problem was that Navarre had become an essential issue for the Franco-Spanish confrontations and each side sought to gain the trust of Navarre to his side.

However, for the Navarrese was stronger than the veiled threats of King Ferdinand to invade their kingdom, so I finally remembered a future marriage between Prince Michael (b. 1498) and Princess Anne of Navarre (born 1492), also established an alliance between two kingdoms, over the next 15 years.

Thus, young Michael could claim in the future, when deemed appropriate, the legitimate rights of his wife, since she was the Catalina I of Navarre's eldest daughter, uniting a totally Spain. This will also further graced with the Emperor Maximilian I (who saw with alarm the sympathy that his own son, Philip the Fair, was with France, his worst enemy, since his Duchy of Burgundy) and Henry VII of England, who was also at odds with the French.

Continue...