United Nations Rapid Reaction Force

Your challenge, with a POD of 1990, is to create a United Nations Rapid Reaction Force (UNRRF). Bonus points go to those who include extra information on:

-The organization of the UNRRF(size, how the different nationalities of it work together)
-Military equipment(I assume it would be lighter equipment, since it is suppose to be rapid and deal with counter-insurgency)
-Military Doctrine
-Leaders
-Brief history of interventions

GO!

Can i have a POD a bit earlier? No? Ok ill give it a shot.
The NAM starts creating a Reaction Force for exactly this type of thing, accepting military forces from all member nations in return for payment/aid/benefits/development etc. The newly created International Disaster Relief Force (which quickly gets names like the disaster army, 3rd world army, Tincan Army etc) is available to be asked for help by any member of the NAM for helping in the aftermath of disasters (but not during wars as thats going to get messy) and after peace treaties are made. The UN (along with others) seeing that this may also be available for use by the UN, partially funds the idea.

The Soviet Union has a more violent collapse and also has more republics trying to leave, with the Russian Republic trying to keep the other Republics from leaving by using military force. A legal loop hole in that the Russian Federation was not recognized as the successor to the Soviet Union yet in the UN allows the UN to send peace keepers to the wartorn regions, the USA sensing a chance to gain influence in the new states and with members of NAM, but not wanting to anger the home front by sending Americans encourages the IDRF to take a peace keeping role. The IDRF does so (after all the Americans are paying for it), and the result doesn't end out so well. Discipline is a problem with looting relatively common, communications both with the natives and with other soldiers is hard to say the least, and training is minimal although varied (some special forces or veteran troops from Africa were sent). However things get better when the NAM General Secretary (who is acting as provisional commander in chief) agrees to a time based withdrawal.

Until then the peacekeepers have been plagued by raids by militia both inside the countries they are to protect that were fighting for power and from across the border from other countries or Russia. Later the Russian government was lead by cooler heads and Yeltsin who made formal peace with the warring states, it was also seen that the IDRF could be used as extra troops to aid Russia in counter insurgency. Joint IDRF/Russian operations along with help from mercenaries, and other UN peacekeepers that were not part of IDRF (IDRF was in charge of the peacekeeping but other countries sent small units as well) attacked secessionists in Russia, and militia and insurgent groups along with other political groups in the new countries (only groups that Russia wanted to eliminate to make it easier to control them later). Eventually the withdrawal dead line came and the IDRF left leaving leaving behind countries that while devastated by war were stable, to a degree. Surprisingly Russian forces also left a bit after IDRF withdrew rather than take advantage of their virtual occupations. The IDRF left with the surviving soldiers having gained valuable experience.

The nations of the world eventually saw the IDRF as a mercenary force that they could use for there advantage (ironic considering that the IDRF used mercenaries also). Eventually the IDRF evolved from a mercenary peacekeeping army to a more professional mercenary army. Countries began leaving the conscript model after it was seen both as extremely unpopular and not as successful as the professional armies used by some of their comrades. This helped increase the quality of the IDRF recruit pool. The IDRF was increasingly becoming the best way for a third world officer to make his way up the ranks. Veterans from the missions would return home and be able to teach what they learned on their tour of duty. The IDRF usually also paid more than if a soldier just joined the regular military as an enlisted. At first the IDRF used a system of determining what unit along with volunteers would be deployed before the actual assignment even came up and transportation would attempt to be arranged before hand also, those methods were used to attempt to speed up time that the force could be deployed. Most members of the IDRF did not have the transporation ability for power protection so it often had to be provided by more 1 st world countries that did.

Eventually the IDRF started spreading from just a NAM organizations, membership was expanded to CSTO, GUAM, NATO and EU branches. (IDRF has become an international organization at this stage with countries sending military forces in rather than a tool of NAM).
----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok i cheated a bit thats not a UNRRF although it is frequently used by the UN, sanctioned or funded. But i dont think i have what your looking for.

I also know that my english was horrible and its hard to understand what i just wrote. Its late now but im going to make another much more detailed and better version later. Damn i want to make a project out of this if it wouldent suck so bad.

It doesnt seem very realistic to me but its the only thing i can think of. Comments please!

Last edited:
-The organization of the UNRRF(size, how the different nationalities of it work together)
-Military equipment(I assume it would be lighter equipment, since it is suppose to be rapid and deal with counter-insurgency)
-Military Doctrine
I dont know much about military organization or operations so forgive me if i fail at it, im making this up after all for what i hope makes sense for a multinational organization.
IDRF (Needs better name)
Organization chart: Coming soon
Military Equipment - Varies among units. Usually native countries armaments. Small Arms, Trucks, IFV's and APCs usually.
Doctrine - The IDRF clears the operations start with what could be considered a rapid reaction force. The RRF would head in ahead and while preparations are made to send the rest of the assigned force over. The RRF unit would consist of mostly light infantry and combat engineers to travel light. (Ironic eh the Rapid Reaction Force i made needs a even more Rapid Reaction Force), the would then work with the government if they are hired/assigned to support the government against rebels or such. If assigned to stop genocide they will attempt to create a small safe zone that is easily holdable. PMCs and mercenaries are usually sent in along side the RRF. Working alongside the RRF but with different duties would be special forces which will do operations that they are trained to do if applicable. Reinforcements are sent in as soon as possible to do the heavy lifting with armored vehicles, and generally more soldiers. Then it mostly gets into standard stuff, if fighting insurgency attack and raid with air support, infantry and artillery, if peace keeping dig in along the border and safe zones.

There is a RL formation already. The following info is copied from the adorable wiki:
Standby High-Readiness Brigade

The Standby High-Readiness Brigade (SHIRBRIG) is a Danish-led initiative associated with the United Nations that aims to create a standby force ready for peacekeeping. It was formed largely as a result of the genocide in Rwanda and other atrocities. Its permanent headquarters is in Garderkasernen (Garder barracks), Høvelte 30 kilometres north of Copenhagen in Denmark.[1] It was declared ready for operations on January 1, 2000, and deployed to the Horn of Africa in November 2000 to form the core of the UN Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) under the command of Royal Netherlands Marine Corps Major General Patrick Cammaert. The Brigade returned from that mission six months later and began a training cycle. It announced that it would again be ready for action as of January 1, 2002. Cammaert's appointment expired in November, 2002, but has been extended once already.
The Brigade comprises a number of troops varying between four and five thousand, drawn from units pledged by eleven countries: Argentina, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain[2] and Sweden. The nations that contribute to SHIRBRIG have the right to opt out of any operation. For example, when the UNMEE was formed, Argentina and Romania opted out for financial reasons.
The Brigade expects to operate independently at a considerable distance from support for up to 60 days. It stands ready for deployment from point of embarkation at 15 to 30 days' notice. Its deployment will be limited to six months duration, after which the mission will either be terminated or other forces will replace the Brigade.
Establishment of a standing U.N. volunteer peacekeeping force represents a key goal of most world federalists.
The Brigade will cease all operational activities on the 30th of June 2009 and close down the organization[3].

Nice, although I find the use of mercenaries a bit unlikely. Although I can't really complain--my original idea was that the UN isn't so anti-mercenaries, and after some philanthropist billionaire hires a mercenary company to stage a humanitarian intervention in some small African nations, the UN picks up the slack and does something similar(although I think the UN itself using mercenaries is ASB). Also, I feel like it could be done with a POD after 1990, since the 90s were full of massive humanitarian crisis's.

Boring! No interventions, only a brigade size! boring! No points for you!

SHIRBRIG is shutting down? Damn, there goes another childhood dream. I hope whatever they replace it with actually has a fighting chance at doing some good.

The Vulture

Banned
I recall a Clive Cussler story that involved what was basically a multinational hostage rescue team operating with the UN.

I assume this group would have a broader mandate concerning use of force?

And why not designate a certain brigade from member nations to be the "Intervention Force of the Month", for lack of a better term? During their time as the go-to unit, they are in a state of readiness and training for humanitarian interventions. Therefore if the UN decides to send troops, there is already a designated unit with transportation and everything.

What about this propaganda?

Yes, the Congo was an important flashpoint during the Cold War because of it's deposits of minerals & industrial diamonds. Both the US and the Soviet Union had an interest in maintaining access to these resources. Obviously, these interests were potentially threatened by Congolese independence.

Belgium was undeniably an oppressive taskmaster during most of her stewardship over the Congo. But by the time of independence that had changed. First of all, Belgium had decided to grant independence, but wanted to move slowly because, and this was clearly Belgium's own fault, there were so few natives with professional training. But, contrary to Kingsolver's assertion, Congo had one of the highest literacy rates in Africa, over 40%. In addition, industrial production was growing rapidly and the country has vast natural resources. The underlying conditions seemed to be favorable for a gradual transition to a successful independent nation.

Instead, the Congolese demanded immediate independence and Belgium acquiesced. Patrice Lumumba, who even those sympathetic to his cause concede was unbalanced, became the fledgling nation's first Prime Minister on June 30, 1960, and within five days native troops mutinied and began raping and slaughtering whites and natives alike. Belgium sent her own troops back in to try to restore order and Katanga province, under the Christian and pro-Western leader Moise Tshombe, declared its independence from the Congo. Lumumba immediately aligned himself with the Soviet Union.

The UN, under the notoriously anti-Western Dag Hammarskjold, intervened and sent in troops to prop up Lumumba & quell the uprising in Katanga. This intervention was the bloodiest episode in UN history as UN planes actually ran bombing missions in Katanga. The UN troops used in this exercise specifically excluded Western Bloc nations like America. Hammarskjold viewed the UN as a sort of third side in the Cold War; a secular, liberal, non-aligned alternative to East and West.

In the months that followed, President Joseph Kasavubu demanded that Lumumba step down but he refused. Troops under Joseph Mobutu staged a coup and shipped a badly beaten Lumumba to Katanga where he was murdered. (There is some evidence that the CIA wanted Lumumba assassinated, but internal Congolese politics beat them to the punch.) Tshombe eventually abandoned Katanga's drive for secession and became Prime Minister of the entire Congo before Mobutu drove him into exile.

What if the right-wing loon is correct and the U.N. really was trying to set itself as a third way during the Cold War?