Sealion With Less 'Sea'

I know the members of this board will hate me but, being a big fan of Sealion, want to make another stab at it.

I just finished reading Geoff Hewitt's book HITLER'S ARMADA: THE ROYAL NAVY & THE DEFENCE OF GREAT BRITAIN APRIL-OCTOBER 1940. Quite a good book, it flat out states that the Battle of Britain had absolutely nothing to do with stopping Sealion; it was stopped because the Royal Navy stood in the way and there was absolutely nothing Germany could do about it. It also brings up a number of interesting points. Among these are:

1) The German shore batteries that were to cover the invasion fleet? Proved utterly incapable of hitting cruisers and destroyers and thus would be unable to protect the barges.
2) The minefields that were to be laid on either side of the invasion fleet? Weren't going to happen, Germany didn't have _nearly_ enough mines to even begin laying these fields!

I've been wracking my brain trying to find some way to give this a chance. This is my idea, it's got more holes than cheese but let me throw it out for the amusement of the readers...

Raeder gets a backbone. He tells Hitler "I don't care what the fat one's been telling you, the KM cannot protect the invasion fleet. It sails, it dies in the channel with your troops."

Hitler agrees, an invasion won't happen. But what about a demonstration? Something to show those stubborn British that continuing to fight is a losing proposition?

The idea is airborne. First the Luftwaffe will blast a hole in the radar screen long enough to confuse things. Paratroops will be dropped in a large field, their first task is to remove blocks to allow transports to land. More area is to be taken ASAP. Transports will turn around as quickly as possible, bringing in as many troops and supplies as fast as possible.

The KM runs in four transports, these are to be run aground. One carries tanks, another prime movers with heavy artillery. The third carries fuel trucks and as many jerry cans as can be crammed in. The fourth carries various supplies that can't be easily carried by Ju-52's. Two torpedo boats are also run around to both provide artillery fire ashore as well as protect the grounded transports as long as possible from the RN and RAF. Another such convoy will be run as quickly as possible.

Admittedly it's a _real_ long shot. And it's not an invasion by any means, more a large raid.

Awaiting your broadsides and flames...

MrP

Banned
You'd have to look about, but I think in one of the old Sealion threads The Dean suggested a German raid to nab a coastal radar emplacement. Might be worth seeking out. :)

You'd have to look about, but I think in one of the old Sealion threads The Dean suggested a German raid to nab a coastal radar emplacement. Might be worth seeking out. :)

That's Jason's thread here for a Dieppe style Sealion which I elaborated here in Midguard's forum.