The Ottomans and the Massacre of Colonel Flatter's Mission

Those of you who are Victorian enthusiasts, especially of the explorers, you'll be familiar with the mission of Franch Colonel Paul Flatters. Otherwise, it's an undeservedly obscure topic, as it's rather important to the history of Africa.

In 1880, Flatters embarked on a mission to open up the Sahara to facilitate a project to link Algeria with France's sub-Saharan possessions by rail (!)

Surprisingly, there's no Wikipedia article for this, because the spectacular failure of the Flatters mission discredited the French military's Saharan ambitions at home and delayed conquest of the Sahara by nearly 30 years. There is a French Wikipedia article:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Flatters

Essentially, Flatters was a poor choice to lead this mission. He wasn't a natural leader, was indecisive, and sulky. The Tuareg easily infiltrated and undermined his command, and eventually led it into a massacre.

The French tended to see the Senusi Sufi order in evertyhting that went wrong for them, and even more, they suspected the Ottomans. As it turns out, regarding the latter, they may have been right.

The following is from a report filed by an Ottoman agent, Muhammad Bashala, recently uncovered in the Ottoman archives, describing an encounter with the Hoggar Tuaregs in 1882. As it was the Hoggar Tuareg who destoyed Flatters, it is verfy possible these are the very men who did it:

"I found them very devoted to our Master and they proudly told me that they still held an Imperial firman (edict) from Selim Sultan. Bizarrely, they told me that on a few occasions they had encountered French travellers sent by their government, but who did not carry a firman of passage from the Caliph, and therefore killed them and seized their goods and animals… "

Bashala also visited Bornu:

"Because Bornu was the most important place that I visited during my peregrinations, I gave the most important gift that I carried to its sovereign... The sacred standard of the Caliphate (Sancak- ı Şerif)... He accepted this gift with the deepest respect and ordered that it be hoisted on all holy days, and every Friday... "

European travellers reported the Ottoman flag flying over the capital of Bornu in 1890.

All this indicates the Ottomans were more in touch with the rest of the Muslim world than most European scholars have considered - and while in OTL the impact of this was limited, it does open up possibilities for late Ottoman TLs. It certainly is an inspiration for mine.

Thats actually really cool:D

Hmmmm, forgive my ignorance, but where is Bornu and if the Ottomans beat off the Russians (like in your prospective timeline which we are still waiting for:p), how far would this extend their influence?

EDIT: Could we see an Ottoman port in the Atlantic, because that would increase the coolness by a factor of awesome.

Thats actually really cool:D

Hmmmm, forgive my ignorance, but where is Bornu and if the Ottomans beat off the Russians (like in your prospective timeline which we are still waiting for:p), how far would this extend their influence?

EDIT: Could we see an Ottoman port in the Atlantic, because that would increase the coolness by a factor of awesome.

Bornu was a kingdom mostly in what is today Northern Nigeria, and partly in Cameroon and Chad (it was divided between Britain, France, and Germany) - it was 1,000 years old when it was destroyed.

In the prospective TL, there is no Atlantic port, alas, although they will have access to the Indian Ocean. The empire doesn't get larger, it just doesn't really shrink.

Nikephoros

Banned
Bornu was a kingdom mostly in what is today Northern Nigeria, and partly in Cameroon and Chad (it was divided between Britain, France, and Germany) - it was 1,000 years old when it was destroyed.

In the prospective TL, there is no Atlantic port, alas, although they will have access to the Indian Ocean. The empire doesn't get larger, it just doesn't really shrink.

Way off topic, but I have a question: In your timeline, how are you going to deal with the manpower shortages the Ottoman empire traditionally dealt with? (Assuming that that is indeed the case--that is why they used Bashi-bazouks, IIRC.)

Way off topic, but I have a question: In your timeline, how are you going to deal with the manpower shortages the Ottoman empire traditionally dealt with? (Assuming that that is indeed the case--that is why they used Bashi-bazouks, IIRC.)

Bashi-Bazouks were usually due to financial problems - they were essentially militias so they didn't have to be paid - but they were very difficult to control.

The Ottomans will still have manpower shortages, but with Egypt the problem is lessened, and with the Sudan... but that would be telling.

Nikephoros

Banned
Bashi-Bazouks were usually due to financial problems - they were essentially militias so they didn't have to be paid - but they were very difficult to control.

The Ottomans will still have manpower shortages, but with Egypt the problem is lessened, and with the Sudan... but that would be telling.

I like surprise.