The sweeping saga of the Brewster Buffalo

Markus

Banned
This is the true story of one of the most unusual and outstanding fighter planes of WW2. The Brewster Buffalo. But let´s start from the beginning:

1932: The Brewster Aeronautical Corporation is formed. The company build aircraft parts for the big manufacturers

1935: The USN accepts a Brewster design for a monoplane dive bomber,

1936: Brewster and Grumman make bids for the Navy´s new fighter

1937: Brewster’s fighter prototype flies in December. Production of the SBN will be done in the Naval Aircraft Factory as Brewster lacks the capability to produce the 30(!) planes the USN orders.

1938:

March: Brewster´s, Grumman´s and Sewersky´s prototypes are tested

June: The USN orders 54 Buffalos, Navy designation F2A-1

August: Brewster looks for partners. Brewster knows it lacks the capability to manufacture the fighters, while Consolidated Aircraft does not have a fighter on offer. Thus both companies merge. Production of aircraft parts remains in NYC, while Brewster’s successful design team and [edit] fighter production is moved to Buffalo(NY),

1939:

May: Delivery of the F2A-1 begins. The USN is not amused about the late delivery.

August – December: The UK, Poland, Finland and Belgium order almost 500 Buffalos

1940:

February: VF-3 on USS Saratoga is fully equipped with F2A-1 and almost immediately begins to suffer landing gear malufunctions.

March: Production of the F2A-2 starts

April: VF-3 gets it´s first F2A-3 and continues to experience landing gear troubles. BruCon´s engineers take notice and action!

December: BruCon send mod-kits for the landing gear to the USN. After the installation no more landing gear failures occur.

1941:

January: The USN orders 108 F2A-3 with self sealing fuel tanks. BruCo engineers conclude the two main 80 gallon tanks are too closely integrated into the wing structure that they are de facto unprotetable. They suggest the following stop gap measures; closing off one 80 gallon tank in a combat area, the installation of three smaller protected tanks with 80 gallons of fuel and a CO2 purging system for the remaining 80 gallon tank. USN officials appreciate the high quality of BruCon´s workmanship and especially the quick problem fixing, but they are sceptical about a total re-design of the wing structure. Until BruConn engineers tell them the fuel capacity after the re-design might be as high as 200 gallons if all five tanks are retained. At that point the USN officials almost start to drool and tell BruCon to go ahead ASAP.

May: the XF4F-4 with a folding wing is tested

June: the USN changes the specs for the F2A-4, they want the plane to have a folding wing. Since that folding mechanism sits roughly where the main fuel tanks are BruCon has to go back to square one. The engineers go to work, but not before requesting a large number of photos of the naval officers in charge of the Buffalo program. The pictures are immediately used for dart practice and other forms of aggression relief by BruCon engineers.

December 7th: The F2A-4 is not yet ready. Given the rather limited looses of naval fighters the USN does not want the production to start until all tanks are protected.

1942:

mid-January: In light of the massive setbacks in SEA the USN orders the production of the Buffalo to resume immediately. The F2A-3.5 as wiseasses call her, is basically an A-3 with the more reliable P&W-engine and it´s superior two stage supercharger, while still having the unsatisfactory fuel tank protection of the A-3. About 50 are send to units in the continental USA to free Wildcats for combat. The remaining 70 are send to Australia as Lend&Lease.

Mid-February: the first F2A-4 rolls off the production line. Due to the protective measures, the re-desinged wing and the wing folding mechanism the two main fuel tank´s capacity has dropped form 160 gallons to 100. Thus total internal fuel is 180 gallons – 36 more than a Wildcat has. The USN is still pleased.

March: The first A-3.5 fighters arrive in Australia. RAAF pilots could hardly be happier to exchange their Wirraways for a real warplane.

May: BruCon get an order for 1,000 de-navalized(=lighter) Buffalos. Internal fuel capacity of the fixed wing fighter is 200 gallons.

June: after the Battle of Midway a surviving VMF-221 pilot says: “It is my belief that any commander that orders pilots out for combat in an F2A-3 should consider the pilot as lost before leaving the ground.” RAAF pilots acidly reply: “Anybody who enters a dogfight with a Zero should be considered insane!”

July: Delivery of the P-45A to the USAAF starts. 5th AF has been utterly disappointed at the inability of the P-39 and P-40 to intercept high flxying Japanese bombers and equally impressed by the good performance of the F2A-3.5

September: The first P-45A arrive in Australia. It becomes a standing joke that a koala bear could out climb a fully loaded P-45, but the fighter get´s good ratings. The lower speed is not appreciated, the good performance over 15,000 get´s nothing but praise, firepower and protection are good, the almost bubbly canopy deeply impresses P-40 pilots, just like the excellent range(authors note: a P-40 with 161 gallons of internal fuel and a 75g drop tank had a combat radius of 300 miles, an OTL F2A-3 got 350miles with 160 gallons internal fuel only). Furthermore the P-45 still being a navy fighter needs about a third of a P-40´s take off distance, allowing the Buffalos to operate literally from half finished airfields no Army fighter could possibly use.
This and the fine range wins the still overloaded and underpowered P-45 a lot of admiration.

1943:

March: Grumman start the mass production of the F6F Hellcat

May: Production of Army and Navy Buffalos ends as more advanced fighters enter production, like the F6F, P-47 and BruCon´s F8F. The de-navalized Army version is called P-48. Both planes go by the name “Bison”.

Major technical changes to the TL:

-Brewster merging with a bigger company resulting in well made planes that are delivered on time(with the exception of the first batch) that´s sooner than in OTL.
-quick fix of landing gear failures, that remaind unfixed in OTL
-wing, fuel tank re-design
-change of engine

Please note:
My F2A-3.5 and -4 have the Wildcat´s engine and a two speed, two stage supercharger. An actual F2A-3 had a less advanced 2-speed, 1-stage supercharger. With a normal load it climbed as fast to 10 and 20,000 feet as a P-39(4.5 and 9.2 minutes) But even with 300 pounds extra weight it beat the P-39 to 25,000 feet by 2 minutes(12/14). A typical P-40 needed 12 minute to reach 20,000 feet. I can not provide data for 25,000 feet, becasue the diagramm in my book ends at 17 minutes. By that time an Allison powered P-40 has reached appx. 23,000 feet and the climb rate is pretty flat already.

A Wildcat with unprotected tanks had a fuel capcity of 160 gallons. Self-sealing decreased that by 10% to 144g. I put the decrease for the Buffalo at 37% for the folding wing version(110g) and at 25% for the fixed wing version(120g).

Last edited:
Personally, I'd love to hear more about the development of this Buffalo & the Bison,even remembering that in OTL it was a total disaster. Although, the Finns used them quite effectively against the Soviets in the Winter War, IIRC. I always had a soft spot for the Flying Barrel. No intelligent one, just a soft spot.

Bobindelaware

Markus

Banned
@Bobindelaware: I´m just doing a bit of reading for CalBear about the air war for Malay. The Commenwealth forces mainly relied on Buffalos similar to the F2A-3, but not as heavy. Let´s say that plane was the least of their problems. They had figured out how to use it, but a combination of late warning and a low climb rate meant in all but one fights they approached the Japanese from below. Only once did they manage to get above the Zeros and promptly two A6M did not retun home. As did just one Buffalo. I´d rahter say the circumstances under which the Buffalos operated were usually a total disaster.

@CalBear: Small change, big effect. Looking for a partner makes sense and aviods the whole manufacturing mess. But I admit the P-45 is a very long shot.

@Fearless Leader: The Bison is to the Buffalo like the Hellcat to the Wildcat. A completely new design that is clearly based on the previous model. Same engine as the Hellcat, similar performance. Althoug I imagine the land based version to be a lot more different than in the Buffalos case. Like a P-47 with a mechanical supercharger -not as good, but much simpler and cheaper than a turbocharger- but with more internal fuel than the P-47D had.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@Bobindelaware: I´m just doing a bit of reading for CalBear about the air war for Malay. The Commenwealth forces mainly relied on Buffalos similar to the F2A-3, but not as heavy. Let´s say that plane was the least of their problems. They had figured out how to use it, but a combination of late warning and a low climb rate meant in all but one fights they approached the Japanese from below. Only once did they manage to get above the Zeros and promptly two A6M did not retun home. As did just one Buffalo. I´d rahter say the circumstances under which the Buffalos operated were usually a total disaster.

@CalBear: Small change, big effect. Looking for a partner makes sense and aviods the whole manufacturing mess. But I admit the P-45 is a very long shot.

@Fearless Leader: The Bison is to the Buffalo like the Hellcat to the Wildcat. A completely new design that is clearly based on the previous model. Same engine as the Hellcat, similar performance. Althoug I imagine the land based version to be a lot more different than in the Buffalos case. Like a P-47 with a mechanical supercharger -not as good, but much simpler and cheaper than a turbocharger- but with more internal fuel than the P-47D had.

I can get behind the small change big effect part.:D

Quality control will be the biggest issue. It won't be the only one, as we've discussed, but the QC is a total killer unless you get it solved.

Good luck with this. I will be interested in seeing hwo you square it off.

Markus

Banned
I can get behind the small change big effect part.:D

Quality control will be the biggest issue. It won't be the only one, as we've discussed, but the QC is a total killer unless you get it solved.

I have never heard anyone complaining Consolidated delivered late or that their planes were shoddy. Since the fighter designed by Brewster is now manufactured in Consolidated´s plant in Buffalo(NY) the QC issue will never arise in the first place. I should have made that clearer in the August 38 entry.

Some more questions

-If Consolidated merges with Brewster in 1938 what happens to Vultee (the company they merged with in OTL) in 1943? Does it go under or does Vultee find someone else to merge with?

-Does the Brewster/Consolidated merger have any affect on Consolidated's line of Flying Boats? The POD is probably too early to affect the Catalina, but certainly Consolidated's 4 engine patrol bomber design would be altered and perhaps improved by Brewster's input.

-Postwar does BruCon go the way of Convair and work on advanced flying boats/fighters?

Markus

Banned
I came up with this short TL just to show the unused potential of the Buffalo, so I did not think much about other butterfly effects.
Compared to Consolidated, Brewster is "very small potatoes", so this merger is probably more a friendly takeover. Furthermore the merger with Vultee serves the same purpose for Consolidated as the one with Brewster, expanding their range of products. A fighter in Brewster´s case and now a trainer. So I can´t imagine any butterfly effect in 43 or changes in Consolidated´s other programs, which were quite successful anyway. The PBY in particular can´t be effected as it was already under development.

Post war there will certainly be some change. Eventually Convair went into fighter production, too. Their first successful model was the F-102 in 1953. In the NTL Consolidated is already well established in the fighter business when the war ends. They will probably come up with a P-80/F-84/F-86 like fighter quickly.

Hendryk

Banned
In OTL, the Flying Tigers flew P-40s because Chennault diverted a delivery intended for the RAF. But there was a debate among his pilots whether to fly Brewster Buffaloes instead, which Chennault settled by organizing a mock dogfight between a P-40 and a Buffalo, which the former won. Would the Buffalo have been a better fighter in TTL, and able to be a match against a P-40?

Markus

Banned
Would the Buffalo have been a better fighter in TTL, and able to be a match against a P-40?

Would the Buffalo be a better fighter? Absolutely yes, but the big improvements don´t take effect before January 1942 when P&W R-1800 is introduced. Before that you got the Wright Cyclone which did not work well in a hot climate. British pilots could not use full power in a climb. A part of the trouble could be the result of the installation of used engines, but the Dutch had problems with their Cyclone powered H-75(P-36) fighters, too.

The AVG´s P-40B did had a very good roll rate and was about 800lb lighter than the slow climbing later versions. The engine was reliable and last but not least, Chennault´s tactics were based on speed, not manouverability.

Without hindsight the P-40B was a good choice, with hindsight an even better one.

May: Production of Army and Navy Buffalos ends as more advanced fighters enter production, like the F6F, P-47 and BruCon´s F8F. The de-navalized Army version is called P-48. Both planes go by the name “Bison”.
F8A, surely. Final letter indicated manufacturer, IIRC. I never really understood why the USN used the nomenclature it did.

I came up with this short TL just to show the unused potential of the Buffalo, so I did not think much about other butterfly effects.
Compared to Consolidated, Brewster is "very small potatoes", so this merger is probably more a friendly takeover. Furthermore the merger with Vultee serves the same purpose for Consolidated as the one with Brewster, expanding their range of products. A fighter in Brewster´s case and now a trainer. So I can´t imagine any butterfly effect in 43 or changes in Consolidated´s other programs, which were quite successful anyway. The PBY in particular can´t be effected as it was already under development.

Post war there will certainly be some change. Eventually Convair went into fighter production, too. Their first successful model was the F-102 in 1953. In the NTL Consolidated is already well established in the fighter business when the war ends. They will probably come up with a P-80/F-84/F-86 like fighter quickly.

If this is the case I could easily see Vultee still merging with BruCon perhaps changing their name to something else.

It would be interesting if Consolidated takes an interest in the Me-262 after the war and makes a fighter based on that...

F8A, surely. Final letter indicated manufacturer, IIRC. I never really understood why the USN used the nomenclature it did.

F3A actually or FY or F2Y depending on how the manufacturing gets treated by the Navy (I'd put my money on F2Y if it is a takeover of Brewster with the F2A becoming the FY).

Dumb question: Who absorbed who? Brewster absorbing Consolidated or the reverse?

(I may have missed this . . . )

Bobindelaware