AH Challenge Have Seelowe inflict the Most damage on Britain

I know that Seelowe would have failed and is impossible, however what I want you guys fellow AH comers to create a POD where event though operation Sealion fails, it will cause massive casualties for Britain, basically what needed to be done for Seelowe to inflict massive casualties on the RN, and RAF, this does not mean Seal owe will succeed, just cause much more damage than otl.....

well ok, RN storms the invasion fleet but unfortunately they ran into well prepared minefields and a storm of torpedos and air attacks. The Luftwaffe had been well trained and prepared in anti ship operations and even though the RN battlewagons zig zagged and put up a hail of lead at the end of that attack 2 battleships, 5 cruisers and 14 destroyers had been sunk.

All in all through that Black Week our forces had lost 900 aircraft, 4 battleships, 9 cruisers and 25 destroyers. The New Zealanders had paid a heavy price in defending the Mother Country losing 2/3rd of their number and along with them our Army had lost 100 tanks and 110000 men. Our civilian casualties after we had launched our gas strikes and the Germans had replied in kind had lost over a million. Truely never in the field of human conflict had so many suffered. However through it all though devestated our Nation hung on and the bright light of freedom and liberty still shone and shamed into action by our sacrifice the free thinking peoples of America shook themselves from inactivity and struck with the speed of the cobra...

Well, it could be a really lazy Cobra. Or one who only recently woke up. Or one who, for whatever reason, was high on marijuana. Or...

- Kelenas

...but seriously

In a time-travel novel which I constructed in the back of my mind but will never have the time nor the creativity to actually write, I toyed with the idea of a semi-successful Sealion which holds to a large chunk of Southern England (not London, though) for long enough to trigger an earlier US declaration of war.

Pure nonsense?

In a time-travel novel which I constructed in the back of my mind but will never have the time nor the creativity to actually write, I toyed with the idea of a semi-successful Sealion which holds to a large chunk of Southern England (not London, though) for long enough to trigger an earlier US declaration of war.

Pure nonsense?
Yes.
If any invasion is seen in the USA as having a chance of success, it will lessen the chance of the USA getting involved not increase it.

The US government is not going to aid anybody who is seen to have already lost.

a cobra? One with no teeth maybe. Seriously, the USA at this time has no real army, a navy that is mostly in the process of being built, and an air force not any better off. I suppose declaring war in '40 or '41 would kick start everything a couple years early... but the US still isn't going to be able to do much of anything for a while...

a cobra? One with no teeth maybe. Seriously, the USA at this time has no real army, a navy that is mostly in the process of being built, and an air force not any better off. I suppose declaring war in '40 or '41 would kick start everything a couple years early... but the US still isn't going to be able to do much of anything for a while...

By the end of 1939 the USN had the following in commission:

5 fleet carriers, including the first two Yorktowns
15 battleships
18 heavy cruisers
19 light cruisers
over 150 destroyers
nearly 100 submarines
plus numerous auxiliaries, transports, etc.

That's "still being built" only by comparison with what the US finished the war with. It was a major fleet by 1940 standards, superior to Germany's in every class save possibly submarines.

During 1940 the US commissioned another carrier, 18 destroyers, and 5 submarines.
During 1941 the US commissioned yet another carrier, two battleships, a CVE, a light cruiser, 17 destroyers, and 13 submarines.

Edit to add: data from here: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/