Asian Sealion

I'm sure somebody's covered this but my search skills must be off tonight because I can't find the topic in this forum.

Does anyone know if a PRC invasion of Taiwan was on the table around the time of the Korean War? Clearly the US gave Taiwain air and naval superiority, but just like with Sealion, there must have been elements in the power structure that wanted to try it. Just wondering what elements of the PRC might've licked their chops at this moment, and whether different leaders might make the attempt (not necessarily a successful one) happen.

Any thoughts?

Hyperion

Banned
I'm sure somebody's covered this but my search skills must be off tonight because I can't find the topic in this forum.

Does anyone know if a PRC invasion of Taiwan was on the table around the time of the Korean War? Clearly the US gave Taiwain air and naval superiority, but just like with Sealion, there must have been elements in the power structure that wanted to try it. Just wondering what elements of the PRC might've licked their chops at this moment, and whether different leaders might make the attempt (not necessarily a successful one) happen.

Any thoughts?

To my knowledge, while Germany at least had U-boats and some battleships in WW2, PRC had zero credible naval threat, period.

That and the amount of people they had committed to Korea would have made things very difficult to assemble troops to invade Taiwan.

If they had attempted it, the US could have seen such an escalation as an excuse to turn the B-29s loose on Chinese cities and other target inside China, though not necessarily with nukes, but still enough to probably do significant damage.