Lee Presidency Revision: Same POD, new scenario.

Ok, before I get into war, I have some new ideas of how to make the ALT more plausible, e.g. how Lee becomes President.

By 1860, Lee is on his second term in the House of Represenatives, and is nominally well known on Capitol Hill for his famous father, his stalwart and honorable character, and his notoriety in the promotion of letting eaching State decide on the issue of slavery. What I am thinking is that the previously mentioned coalition covinces Douglas to accept the policy as his own and pumps up Lee as a Vice Presidential candidate, getting him on the ticket. Douglas still dies in 1861 and Lee takes the reins. Less than six months difference from the original scenario, but more plausible.

How does that sound?

I would do a little research to figure out how long the 1860 campaign on average took. I would also look into the original 13th amendment, also known as the Corwin Amendment. Here's a good site:

http://www.geocities.com/ghostamendment/

Basically,

Full Text of H.J.R. No. 80, the "Ghost Amendment":

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the following article be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which, when ratified by three-fourths of said Legislatures, shall be valid, to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution, namely:

ART. 13. No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.

Both Ohio and Maryland ratified it. Its was introduced following the secession of many of the Southern states, so it would be interesting to figure out how many states would have ratified it in the end.

The Douglas-Lee ticket, rather than Lee-Douglas, sound plausible also. Probably more so if you stick to the short period in Congress for Lee. However, I doubt that that much weight would be given to a Representative, they hardly ever make a ticket. Perhaps you should have Lee be a senator, for that is the main breeding grown of presidential candidates. How about Lee being appointed by the Virginia legislature to fill his father's senatorial seat upon his death in 1855/56.

David S Poepoe said:
I would do a little research to figure out how long the 1860 campaign on average took. I would also look into the original 13th amendment, also known as the Corwin Amendment. Here's a good site:

http://www.geocities.com/ghostamendment/

Basically,

Full Text of H.J.R. No. 80, the "Ghost Amendment":

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the following article be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which, when ratified by three-fourths of said Legislatures, shall be valid, to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution, namely:

ART. 13. No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.

Both Ohio and Maryland ratified it. Its was introduced following the secession of many of the Southern states, so it would be interesting to figure out how many states would have ratified it in the end.

The Douglas-Lee ticket, rather than Lee-Douglas, sound plausible also. Probably more so if you stick to the short period in Congress for Lee. However, I doubt that that much weight would be given to a Representative, they hardly ever make a ticket. Perhaps you should have Lee be a senator, for that is the main breeding grown of presidential candidates. How about Lee being appointed by the Virginia legislature to fill his father's senatorial seat upon his death in 1855/56.

Sounds good. Definitely sounds more like Lee if he got appointed and just planned on finnishing out the term.