Make Argentina 1/3 as strong as the US in 1940

starting in 1820 make Argentina have a pop of 1/3 of the US and have an industral base of about 1/3 as strong as the US in 1940 . The may join eather the Axias or Allies in WWII .

Grey Wolf

Donor
Ward said:
starting in 1820 make Argentina have a pop of 1/3 of the US and have an industral base of about 1/3 as strong as the US in 1940 . The may join eather the Axias or Allies in WWII .

Hmm, its a difficult one. Was there any point where Argentina's prospects went downhill in this period ? I know that one of the driving forces behind the overthrow of the monarchy in Brazil was that the modernists looked to the success of the REPUBLIC of Argentina and thought that it having a republican form of government was one reason why it was doing so much better than Brazil. But, did it falter anywhere ? The only major war I can think of is the one against that nutter in Paraguay where Argentina was on the winning side - were there losses of manpower or economic dislocation resulting from this ? If not, are we looking at a different question - i.e. not could Argentina have avoided the pitfalls (an easy question to ask with regard to Mexico, for example) but how to boost a relatively succesful country even more ?

Grey Wolf

In the 1920's the two countries were about equal in Industrialzationing, Avoid Peron, and his wealth redistrubution, and Argentina would have continued to Industrialize at the same rate as the US.

Grey Wolf said:
Hmm, its a difficult one. Was there any point where Argentina's prospects went downhill in this period ? I know that one of the driving forces behind the overthrow of the monarchy in Brazil was that the modernists looked to the success of the REPUBLIC of Argentina and thought that it having a republican form of government was one reason why it was doing so much better than Brazil. But, did it falter anywhere ? The only major war I can think of is the one against that nutter in Paraguay where Argentina was on the winning side - were there losses of manpower or economic dislocation resulting from this ? If not, are we looking at a different question - i.e. not could Argentina have avoided the pitfalls (an easy question to ask with regard to Mexico, for example) but how to boost a relatively succesful country even more ?

The Triple Alliance War was a boon for the Argentinian farmers: they were the ones that supplied the alliance army. I've read(and although I believe it, I'm not 100% sure) the demand for agricultural and cattle products during the war were what built up the Argentinian agricultural industry - just in time for the invention of modern refrigeration practices, allowing Argentinian meat to be exported to places it could have never been exported before.

The way I see it, it was the negligence in investing the profits from the meat and grain trade in other economical sectors that spelled doom for the Argentinian economy(the same lack of foresight had grave consequences in Brazil as well).

About the overthrowing of the Brazilian monarchy, the Republicans did in fact think that the monarchy was obsolete, but they regarded the USA as the example to be followed, not Argentina(the Brazilian Constitution of 1891 has many aspects that were blatantly copied from the American one; the provisional flag of the Republic was a green-yellow version of the American flag; for many years, the official name of Brazil was Estados Unidos do Brasil - United States of Brazil).

DuQuense said:
In the 1920's the two countries were about equal in Industrialzationing, Avoid Peron, and his wealth redistrubution, and Argentina would have continued to Industrialize at the same rate as the US.

Including heavy industry? Somehow I doubt that. We agree on the fact Perón did in the end much more harm than good to Argentina.