A CHOICE OF WEAPONS

Hope this wasn't mentioned before.Just got it the day before my birthday 4 July. A navy groups of modern twentyfirst centruy(2012) ships goes back to the Pacific in 1941-42. It is a LOT different than you expect. It's more than the scenario I proposed on the Kirk Douglas film with the Nimitz. I won't say anythiing else. Diamond and Torquemada -you BOTH might like it.

Diamond

Banned
It's actually called 'Weapons of Choice', and the task force is from IIRC 2021. I ordered it from Amazon last week; I should be receiving it any day now...

Is MY face red! I posted it AFTER I bought the book and thought I put the correct title. No need for ANY further postings if need be.

Diamond

Banned
Got it today; I'm about 150 pages in now. The beginning sure grabs you and won't let you go - it just doesn't let up.

The interactions between the 1942 & 2021 people seem very well drawn so far.

Diamond, I have a quesstion. What happens to the fuel/weapons for the 21 century ships, etc. Hope this doesn't seem unreal. Maybe the NEXT boosk will solve the problem. Thanks.

ED(Mister) said:
Diamond, I have a quesstion. What happens to the fuel/weapons for the 21 century ships, etc. Hope this doesn't seem unreal. Maybe the NEXT boosk will solve the problem. Thanks.

I don't have the book and I am not sure if the oil used in ships in the 1940's is similar to the fuel oil we use today, but the ships of today could probably use the same fuel.. However, the aviation fule needed for prop planes had to be very high octane, compared to that of jet fuel, which is basically kerosene. So jet fuel needed for planes and helicopters would be easy to get. Some o the ordnance wouldn't be hard to get, like 20mm shells or 50 caliber bullets. As for the rest, I really don't know.

Torqumada

Torqumada said:
I don't have the book and I am not sure if the oil used in ships in the 1940's is similar to the fuel oil we use today, but the ships of today could probably use the same fuel.. However, the aviation fule needed for prop planes had to be very high octane, compared to that of jet fuel, which is basically kerosene. So jet fuel needed for planes and helicopters would be easy to get. Some o the ordnance wouldn't be hard to get, like 20mm shells or 50 caliber bullets. As for the rest, I really don't know.

Torqumada

I was thinking of this yesterday. It is my opinion that most of the officers and enlisted men on the task force would become like the Nazi scientists and technicians captured after WW2.
They would be better treated but on the whole wouldn't be what we would call free.
Tech wise one of the first things that would be done is the introduction of the transistor as it was close to being developed and would help in the rapid redevelopment of the technology,
In regards to fuel I can see catalytic cracking refineries poping up all over the world as soon as the old refiners can be converted. In the case of the US with their massing production rate they might build new refineries while still running the old one so there is no drop in production. :cool:

Diamond

Banned
Almost done with this truly excellent book. In a funny sort of way, I'm pissed that it was this good, because now I'll have to wait impatiently till the second one is out!

The characterizations of the 21st AND 1942 personnel are just outstanding. There is enough background and teasers to get you interested in their motivations and actions, but not so much as to bore. I'm sure they'll be more fleshed out in the following books of this series. I was especially impressed at the portrayals of Admirals Spruance and Yamamoto.

This trilogy seems, based on this first volume, destined to become one of the most important works of the AH genre. It far surpasses most current stuff, in or out of the genre.

I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS NOVEL STRONGLY ENOUGH!!!
RATING: A+