Hitler dies in Feb 1942

WI Hitler falls down a staircase and hits his head in such a way that he dies? Who takes over? Goering? Himmler? Someone else? How long does it take them to consolidate their power? If that happens quickly the Germans are in better shape since Hitler had no idea of what he was doing when it came to military matters. If there is a lot of infighting first the Russians are in much better shape.

Valamyr

Banned
No caucasus campaign, the whole year will revolve around the battle for Moscow, which might or might not fall late in the year. Its almost certainly too late for a full german victory to spring from that, as America is already in the war. It might be "Stalingradized" either way. Little of it would in this case remain for the victor. Then again, the germans might be smart enough to just surround it before attacking.

But Hitler's death might open up dozens of viable separate peace scenarios - on both sides of Europe.

Valamyr said:
No caucasus campaign, the whole year will revolve around the battle for Moscow, which might or might not fall late in the year. Its almost certainly too late for a full german victory to spring from that, as America is already in the war. It might be "Stalingradized" either way. Little of it would in this case remain for the victor. Then again, the germans might be smart enough to just surround it before attacking.

But Hitler's death might open up dozens of viable separate peace scenarios - on both sides of Europe.

IIRC Russia is in the middle of its winter offensive and the confused state the German armed forces would be in (not being sure who to take orders from) would be a golden opportunity for the Red Army.

Brilliantlight said:
WI Hitler falls down a staircase and hits his head in such a way that he dies? Who takes over? Goering? Himmler? Someone else? How long does it take them to consolidate their power? If that happens quickly the Germans are in better shape since Hitler had no idea of what he was doing when it came to military matters. If there is a lot of infighting first the Russians are in much better shape.

I think it would be Reinhard Heydrich, the most competent and IMO arguably the most ruthless apparatchik in history. Himmler was unstable and clearly an obstacle to Heydrich achieving autocrat status, so he'd probably be eliminated like Hess had Rhoem been. Goering might remain as a figure head, though being the flamboyant megalomaniac he was I think it's likely he'd "mysteriously" disappear.

I think it's likely that Germany would do better in the war under such conditions. Heydrich wasn't a crazed Ideologue like Hitler or Himmler were, if possible I think he'd probably pull troops out of the East front and try to repair relations with the USSR.

POTUS P.Diffin said:
I think it would be Reinhard Heydrich, the most competent and IMO arguably the most ruthless apparatchik in history. Himmler was unstable and clearly an obstacle to Heydrich achieving autocrat status, so he'd probably be eliminated like Hess had Rhoem been. Goering might remain as a figure head, though being the flamboyant megalomaniac he was I think it's likely he'd "mysteriously" disappear.

I think it's likely that Germany would do better in the war under such conditions. Heydrich wasn't a crazed Ideologue like Hitler or Himmler were, if possible I think he'd probably pull troops out of the East front and try to repair relations with the USSR.

I think Himmler or a general would replace Hitler.Affter all Himmler has the SS backing him and the generals would have the army .Goering has a real shot as well he was an important party official and the head of the Luftwaffe If a general it would be either Guiderion or Rommel most likely.