WW2/Cold War if Alaska had been part of the USSR?

Assuming the Russian Empire never sold off Alaska, and it remained part of Russia/RSFSR... what would be the effects of that in WW2/Cold War? I'm thinking supplying the USSR would have been much easier during WW2, only for the North American Northwest to become extremely militarized by the 50s.

Assuming the Russian Empire never sold off Alaska, and it remained part of Russia/RSFSR... what would be the effects of that in WW2/Cold War? I'm thinking supplying the USSR would have been much easier during WW2, only for the North American Northwest to become extremely militarized by the 50s.
A POD in the 1860's would certainly butterfly most things in the 20th century?

I think it would be impossible for Alaska to be a part of the USSR. If Russia had held onto Alaska, there would really only be two outcomes. One, the British or Americans seize Alaska during the Civil War and keeping it. But I think the second outcome would be the more realistic one. Alaska would become a larger Taiwan, with the White Russians establishing a Russian Republic in exile. The British, Canadians and Americans would work hard to help prop up the White emigre regime in Alaska. This White Russia would be internationally recognised as the legitimate Russian government by much of the world. A major butterfly effect to this would probably be the USSR being a full member of the Axis during WW2.

A soviet Alaska plus McCarthy era suggests a Soviet - USA war [1]. Either that, or the domino theory is proved right and a wave of communism spreads South and Eastwards.

Not very believable but a good starting point for a competent writer.

More realistically, the US has a long history of being very communist-unfriendly, and the reds seemed quite willing to concede territory to the Germans, so it's possible they might sell it to the US in the late 1910s for a suitable sum. Alternately, Alaska becomes a White Russian state - either staying that way and becoming a Taiwan-like state or reforming of its own accord and joining Canada.

[1] well there is the minor inconvenience of the lack of a convenient land border and those pesky commie-sympathising Canadians who won't let the US army across.

I think it would be impossible for Alaska to be a part of the USSR. If Russia had held onto Alaska, there would really only be two outcomes. One, the British or Americans seize Alaska during the Civil War and keeping it. But I think the second outcome would be the more realistic one. Alaska would become a larger Taiwan, with the White Russians establishing a Russian Republic in exile. The British, Canadians and Americans would work hard to help prop up the White emigre regime in Alaska. This White Russia would be internationally recognised as the legitimate Russian government by much of the world. A major butterfly effect to this would probably be the USSR being a full member of the Axis during WW2.

A out come I've speculated on as well. I'd not try to predict the economic viability or management skill of the Russian regime there. A lot of aging aristocrats and self entitled sons with unrealistic ideas about the world and their future. Maybe a competent regime emerges, maybe not. OTL Alaska was a important way station for Lend Lease to the USSR 1943-1945. Would the Alaskan government cooperate at all ? Or would US made aircraft have to be shipped via the other routes?

I'd also expect the USSR security services to be making every effort to infiltrate agents into this White Russian rump state.

Stalin orders construction of a Bering Strait Causeway, which blocks ocean currents and triggers a shutdown of the Atlantic Conveyor a century later.

I'd also expect the USSR security services to be making every effort to infiltrate agents into this White Russian rump state.
Soviets had no difficulties at all infiltrating any White emigre organization they wanted.
As a matter of fact, reunion sentiments will be quite strong in this rump state.

Sold or not, I still expect a big part of its population to be Anglophone miners by 1910 once gold is found (IOTL, the population doubled due to the Nome and Fairbanks rushes). I’m not even sure the post-1917 Alaska could even be called a White rump state in that case—they might just proclaim a Republic of Alaska on American or British-influenced lines and make no pretense of being a continuation after the Kerensky regime falls.

Last edited:
I see no cause for either the USA or UK to seize Alaska for no reason. 1 the UK didn't want it when it was offered to them IOTL and 2 the US isn't in the business of invading and taking the territory of European power for the lulz. Foreign entanglements and all. Plus there are a bunch of Russians living there. Don't you think they'd protest.

However I think you're right about the White Russians using it as a base of operations though again I think you're jumping the gun about international recognition.

In MacKinlay Kantor's 1961 alternate history novel If the South Had Won The Civil War, Cuba and Alaska actually switch places in history. Cuba becomes a Confederate state while Alaska is never purchased by the United States and remains part of the Russian Empire.

The United States, the Confederate States and an independent Texas eventually reunite but face a much bigger threat with the Russians in this ATL Alaska, compared to an OTL communist Cuba with Russian missiles, as part of Wikipedia’s synopsis of this novel points out.
Wikipedia said:
The newly independent Confederacy suffered some instability, especially since the restive Texas seized the contested Indian Territory and finally declared its complete independence and becoming the Second Republic of Texas. That brought the specter of war close, with either the US going to war over the Indian Territory or the Confederacy seeking to retain Texas by force, but it was averted; Texas was allowed to amicably go its own way, and relations between all three nations steadily improved….

In 1898, it was the Confederacy that went to war with Spain, and seized and annexed Cuba. The flamboyant Rel Stuart, a son of Jeb Stuart born in 1867 (in actual history Stuart had been killed in 1864 during battle), had a major role in this war and was eventually the first governor of the State of Cuba. (In one illustration, Rel Stuart is portrayed as looking like Theodore Roosevelt.)

In the twentieth century, the US, CS, and Texas became increasingly integrated economically and removed all tariff barriers between them. In 1917, Presidents Theodore Roosevelt of the US and Woodrow Wilson of the CS brought their countries into World War I, as did the independent Texas. The soldiers of all three joined the Entente powers and fought as close allies against Germany and the Central Powers. Similar developments took place against the Axis powers in World War II. Kantor does not provide much detail of this but clearly assumes that three allied armies crossing the Atlantic together and fighting together in Europe would have achieved much the same result as a single US army achieved in the actual history.

In the aftermath, the US, CS, and Texas all felt threatened by Soviet missile bases and armored brigades in Alaska (which had never been purchased from Russia in 1867). Therefore, they finally announced a formal reunification at a Washington summit in 1961, on the precise centennial of Fort Sumter.

Thus, Kantor's version of history comes full circle, the situation in 1961 being not too different from that in actual history: a single United States as a major world power locked in Cold War with the Soviet Union, but at a considerable disadvantage compared to the actual timeline due to the Soviet position in Alaska.

Worse case scenario may be the US trying and failing to keep Alaska out of Bolshevik hands between 1917 - 1922. That might lead to a Soviet Alaska which now has great reason to hate and fear the US.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I see no cause for either the USA or UK to seize Alaska for no reason. 1 the UK didn't want it when it was offered to them IOTL and 2 the US isn't in the business of invading and taking the territory of European power for the lulz. Foreign entanglements and all. Plus there are a bunch of Russians living there. Don't you think they'd protest.
Hmmm... 1898, Manila Bay ring any bells?

Worse case scenario may be the US trying and failing to keep Alaska out of Bolshevik hands between 1917 - 1922. That might lead to a Soviet Alaska which now has great reason to hate and fear the US.

I imagine this would alter the dynamics of the cold war radically. Quite a bit of resources spent in central europe IOTL would be relocated to British Columbia, Oregon, and Washington. The Soviet Union would have the capability of striking the US mainland way before ICBM are a thing.

I imagine this would alter the dynamics of the cold war radically. Quite a bit of resources spent in central europe IOTL would be relocated to British Columbia, Oregon, and Washington. The Soviet Union would have the capability of striking the US mainland way before ICBM are a thing.
True.

Why would Alaska secceeds from the USSR? It could be a pro-soviet region since the start. It just depends how much the things are.