WI: The Swedish crown prince chosen as heir to Frederick VII of Denmark

King Frederick VII of Denmark was married three times, but produced no legitimate issue. The fact that he reached middle age without producing an heir meant that Prince Christian of Glücksburg (1818–1906), the descendant of a cousin of King Frederick VI, was chosen as his heir-presumptive in 1852. When Frederick died in 1863, Christian took the throne as Christian IX. I wonder, what if crown prince Karl (Charles in English) of Sweden and Norway (the later king Karl (XV in Sweden, IV in Norway) had been chosen instead? Would this be a possible alternative? If so he would later have been king of all the three Scandinavian countries.

In my opinion, I believe that the Danes would have done what they could to avoid placing someone from the Swedish royal family on the Danish throne. As far as I am aware, even if Christian was not chosen there were other family members that could have taken his place. If I am not mistaken, it was passed to the House of Glucksburg in OTL. While it is an interesting concept I doubt that the other European powers would be keen on seeing what would be a modern day Kalmar Union.

The issue here I'm seeing is that Prince Christian had a stronger claim since he's still Oldenburg, while Karl XV is a Bernadott. Unless something were to happen to Prince Christian that'd make him incapable of inheritance (died during the Second Schleswig War?), but that's leaving Danish nobility being resistant to avoid a Bernadott successor to Frederick.

It'd come down to the fact even if Christian died, and the Second Schleswig War ends with his death and the seccession of Schleswig-Holstein, Behemoth points that their neighbours wouldn't want a strong Scandinavian union in the north that'd threaten the scales of power. Even then he'd have to struggle with the Danish nobility, and uniting the three kingdoms would be a struggle on its own right and might not happen. Then again if Karl did survive long enough for a Bernadott successor in all three countries, it'd take a long time before you'd get anything like the beginning of a Scandinavia.

At most you'd get a Bernadott in all three countries, and that might lead to a closer union down the line. But at the current climate, it'd possibly lead to a Hohenzollern/Gluckburg-ruled Denmark.

Last edited:
Was Christian IX chosen in order to strengthen the ties to Schleswig and Holstein? If so, this seems to have been unsuccesful as Denmark lost these duchies only a few years after Christian became king of Denmark. I would assume that a union with Sweden and Norway would better have served this purpose, as Denmark would then probably have got help from these two countries. Scandinavianism was quite popular for a while and the first Schleswig war might have been a realistic time to pronounce the Swedish crown prince as heir to the Danish crown. The war broke out in 1848

What about Gustaf 'V' of Sweden? Despite his father's paternity being called into question in Sweden, his claim to Denmark is through his (grand)mother. Why was he never considered?

What about Gustaf 'V' of Sweden? Despite his father's paternity being called into question in Sweden, his claim to Denmark is through his (grand)mother. Why was he never considered?

Was one of his grandmothers heir to the Danish crown? I assume that this must be his maternal grandmother, otherwise both his uncle Karl XV/IV and his father Oscar II would also qualify and be more natural as they were adults at the time. As far as I can see the maternal grandmother of Gustav V is princess Pauline of Württemberg. How was she related to the Danish crown?

Was one of his grandmothers heir to the Danish crown? I assume that this must be his maternal grandmother, otherwise both his uncle Karl XV/IV and his father Oscar II would also qualify and be more natural as they were adults at the time. As far as I can see the maternal grandmother of Gustav V is princess Pauline of Württemberg. How was she related to the Danish crown?

I was talking about the son of Gustaf IV. Gustav IV was the son of Sophia Magdalene of Denmark, oldest of Frederik V's daughters.

Christian IX was chosen due to being the closest relative in the male line. The connection to Schleswig and Holstein appear to be just happenstance. Even though Karl XV had a good relationship with Frederick VII and was a proponent of Scandinavianism, there was no way that Sweden would be able to help Denmark in 1864. I would doubt that any assistance would be provided in 1848 as well.

In regard to Gustav, Prince of Vasa (Gustav "V"), his grandmother was daughter of Frederick V of Denmark. However, if I understand correctly, he would be ineligible since Denmark's line of succession was under Salic Law from the time of Frederick III onward.

I was talking about the son of Gustaf IV. Gustav IV was the son of Sophia Magdalene of Denmark, oldest of Frederik V's daughters.

His family no longer were Swedish monarchs, as the Swedish crown had passed to the Bernadotte family. Hence this would not lead to a personality union. Besides he was nine years older than Frederick VII of Denmark. Or are you considering an earlier point of departure? If so, you would need an earlier POD with a Danish king lacking an heir to the throne, which did not happen in the relevant time period, as far as I can see.