WI: The DeLorian was a success

"John Z. DeLorean, the innovative automaker who left a promising career in Detroit to develop the stainless steel-skinned, gull-winged sports car bearing his name and was acquitted of charges he planned to sell $24 million worth of cocaine to support the venture, has died at the age of 80."

From an article here.

The obvious WI: The DeLorian (and with it, DeLorian Motors) is somehow a roaring success. Better business plan, more venture capital/investors and of course no coke scandal; by 2005 DeLorian Motors is cranking out as many cars as Ford or Nissan. Since Mr. DeLorean was a rather iconoclastic designer, might we see some of the same kind of innovation and attention to detail that we saw in the gull-winged DeLorian and the early Pontiac GTO (also his idea) spread farther in the industry? How will things go if his company becomes the automotive equivalent to Apple Computer, with its emphasis on interesting designs?

P.S. - How I loved "Back to the Future!"

Great Idea

I think that was one of the coolest cars ever made ! if the business had been run better I could see them still being popular cars today

Delorean=Greatest Car Design ever, how could anyone not like gull wing doors? They're such a great idea

Michael said:
Delorean=Greatest Car Design ever, how could anyone not like gull wing doors? They're such a great idea

Really great, unless you are parked close to something. Then, not so much.

To the question at hand, though - how would it affect the auto industry if DMC, with its innovative ideas, was a major player in today's automotive world? Would they effect the industry as Apple does computers, where they have a small niche market share but lead everyone else in design? Or would they be more like GMC, cranking out tons of nondescript vehicles and gaining a huge market share? I tend to believe the former.

Hapsburg

Banned
What about the boat-car of the 60's. thatthing was awesome. LeLorean was kooler tho!
i like misspelling on purpose... :D