WI: Spanish-Ottoman War Of 1897.

During the mid late 19th century Europe was the Continent that seemed to hold the most powerful nations of the world,

The U.K, Germany and Russia are just a few examples of the powerful nations of Europe.

However not all nations of Europe would maintain the great power they held for centuries,

For example the Spanish Empire and Ottoman empires by the time of the 1890's were mostly seen as shells of the former empires that they once were.

And that got me thinking,

What if the declining powers of Spanish and Ottoman Empire went to war against each other.

For the sake of this scenario lets say that a relatively small issue between the Spanish and the Ottomans snowballs out of control, and reaches a point where diplomacy has failed and war is imminent between the Spanish and Ottomans in 1897.

Assuming no other Nations directly interfered, what would be the result of this conflict?

I’m guessing this would be thanks to the Hemshin massacres- and my answer is that I don’t think it’s realistic to expect other parties to stay out of it.

I’m guessing this would be thanks to the Hemshin massacres- and my answer is that I don’t think it’s realistic to expect other parties to stay out of it.
I have to look up what the Hemshin massacres are, however I was thinking a possible scenario could be that could explain a Spanish Ottoman war in 1897 would be Ottoman support for Moro rebels in the Spanish Philippines.

I have to look up what the Hemshin massacres are, however I was thinking a possible scenario could be that could explain a Spanish Ottoman war in 1897 would be Ottoman support for Moro rebels in the Spanish Philippines.
My apologies, I meant the Hamidian massacres.

The Moro situation could also be a cause, but less likely- I can't imagine the Ottomans trying to venture as far afield as that.

Whoever has the better navy wins more than the other nation, although the Spanish couldn't project power on Ottoman soil and vice versa. Who had a larger navy at this point?

The Ottoman Navy in 1897 consisted of:-
6 Cruisers (5 were modern), 4 Battleships (3 were modern), 25 Torpedo Boats (21 were modern), 2 Submarines (were modern but maintained badly), and 10 destroyers (7 were modern) around 23 other steamships (9 were modern)

More or less equal to strength to the Spanish Navy qualitatively and quantitatively but quality of the sailors are in favour of the Spanish.

Whoever has the better navy wins more than the other nation, although the Spanish couldn't project power on Ottoman soil and vice versa. Who had a larger navy at this point?
The Spanish could try to attack Ottoman Tripolitania (Libya) which was cut off from the main Ottoman Empire by 1897.

(Technically the Ottomans had de jure control of Egypt in 1897 however the British held the real power there since 1882 and would not let Ottoman troops pass to go to Tripolitania in the Italo-Ottoman war.)

Last edited:
(Technically the Ottomans had de facto control of Egypt in 1897 however the British held the real power there since 1882 and would not let Ottoman troops pass to go to Tripolitania in the Italo-Ottoman war.)

I think you mean de Jure.

De Facto means "in fact", while de jure is "technically/by law".

Ottomans were de jure in control but the British had the de facto power.

The Spanish could try to attack Ottoman Tripolitania (Libya) which was cut off from the main Ottoman Empire by 1897.

(Technically the Ottomans had de jure control of Egypt in 1897 however the British held the real power there since 1882 and would not let Ottoman troops pass to go to Tripolitania in the Italo-Ottoman war.)
I don't think the Spanish could handle that. Look how much trouble Italy had in Libya and that's with the Ottoman's having no way to reinforce by land or sea and Italy being much closer in proximity. The difference in naval power between Italy and the OE was huge. If Spain loses her navy, then she can't do anything in Libya.

They're too far from each other and both too weak to project power outside of their own territory.

I don't think the Spanish could handle that. Look how much trouble Italy had in Libya and that's with the Ottoman's having no way to reinforce by land or sea and Italy being much closer in proximity. The difference in naval power between Italy and the OE was huge. If Spain loses her navy, then she can't do anything in Libya.

They're too far from each other and both too weak to project power outside of their own territory.
So I guess the war would have very limited land battles, with the main focus being naval battles in the mediterranean.

The British and Ottomans could ally here.
Not trying to be rude but I can't really see why would the British want to ally with the Ottomans,

I can possibly see them allying with the Ottomans to weaken Spain so that they cannot take Gibraltar, however that risks starting an even larger European war and the British wouldn't want to be the cause of a major European war.

Not trying to be rude but I can't really see why would the British want to ally with the Ottomans,

I can possibly see them allying with the Ottomans to weaken Spain so that they cannot take Gibraltar, however that risks starting an even larger European war and the British wouldn't want to be the cause of a major European war.
Yes, they would at least covertly help the ottomans.