WI: No Star Wars Prequels

I'm aware. I was saying that any debate nowadays on the subject can be said that the JP3 Spinosaurus would've been absolutely killed by the Tyrannosaurus, because all the paleontological evidence points to the fact that the Spinosaurus would've been no match whatsoever for a Tyrannosaurus.

And, really, even before that, I don't know why one would think it would be. The Spinosaurus was traditionally still known as a water-animal hunter, and the Tyrannosaurus was a predator specifically evolved to hunt and kill other dinosaurs. Its jaws alone would've snapped the neck of any Spinosaurus, and its skin would've been impenetrable by the teeth of a Spinosaurus, because its teeth were made for killing fish and other water beasts, and probably carrion, while the Tyrannosaur was expected to be able to withstand hits from animals like the Triceratops.

You misspelled the Carcharodontosaurus.

No way, the Giganotosaurus rocks...

There's a couple of problems with this idea. For one thing, the Thrawn Trilogy written by Timothy Zahn was published in the years 1991-1993. George Lucas didn't start working on the Star Wars prequels at all until shortly after that, around 1994 or 1995. So whatever form the ATL prequel story takes (TV series or novel series), Thrawn's not going to be in it. And for another thing, Timothy Zahn doesn't even write for TV at all. He's a novelist.
I do know that novels were written around that time. I don't really know how to make it work. Hey it's just a fun idea. :cool:

Still, is there any interest in this TV series idea? I think it's a great idea. There's a couple of speed bumps as you mentioned. I do think that Joss Whedon would be a good pick but IIRC at this point in time he's just "the guy who wrote Toy Story".

IOTL Fox distributed Star Wars. Do they have any rights in regard to the series? That might effect which television network the series gets put on. I hope it's not Fox, we do not want things canceled after one episode! :eek: Plus actors will be a problem as obviously we will be talking 1990s television actors. Maybe X-Files, Buffy, Friends(?). I'll admit I'm reachin here.

Would a 90s Star Wars TV be marketable? Star Wars was pretty big in the 90s, would this kick off big budget television sooner (ala Walking Dead).

I'm aware. I was saying that any debate nowadays on the subject can be said that the JP3 Spinosaurus would've been absolutely killed by the Tyrannosaurus, because all the paleontological evidence points to the fact that the Spinosaurus would've been no match whatsoever for a Tyrannosaurus.
No way, the Giganotosaurus rocks...
people, people, we're getting off-topic. shall we move the theropod discussion to its own thread?
Did I step through an ISOT back to 2005 or something?
i couldn't remember if the flame war was still going or not so i used present-tense ;) my point was and still is that Prequel hate is far more vicious than every single side of the other one put together

I remember reading somewhere that in 1998 or there abouts Warner Bros. was considering Green lighting a Babylon 5 Movie, and not a TV Movie, we are talking full motion picture box office. They decided against it because well... the Prequels.

Now then. Imagine JMS being able to get a Movie budget to keep on expanding the Babylon 5 Universe, and considering B5's special effects WB wouldn't foot an ILM sized bill to make it, and it's not like the actors were high profile enough to demand outrageous salaries. Dedicated fanbase, relatively inexpensive, and possibility to spark a larger franchise. B5 vs. Star Trek Movies, and given the TNG Movies after First Contact in terms of quality it can't go much worse. Imagine the early Blockbuster Seasons of the 2000s

Babylon 5, Harry Potter, Spiderman, Lord of the Rings.

Babylon 5's obviously the lightweight here, but it's still better than the Prequels

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that in 1998 or there abouts Warner Bros. was considering Green lighting a Babylon 5 Movie, and not a TV Movie, we are talking full motion picture box office.

1998? In that case, the movie's story would probably be what ended up as the TV movie A Call to Arms.

I suppose it would be to much to hope that once Disney or whoever buys Star Wars, if that still happens ITTL, would make the Prequels as a tv series following the old outline. :(

I sort of like also how George Lucas would have allowed EU material such as novels and comic books about how Anakin and Obi-Wan became friends during the Clone Wars.

I could see George Lucas making a sequel series of films showing the reconstruction of the Republic and Luke restoring the Jedi Order in the 1990s instead.

I sort of like also how George Lucas would have allowed EU material such as novels and comic books about how Anakin and Obi-Wan became friends during the Clone Wars.

I could see George Lucas making a sequel series of films showing the reconstruction of the Republic and Luke restoring the Jedi Order in the 1990s instead.

That may be difficult for a number of reasons, in particular, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are likely to say no. Also, he was clearly more interested in the prequel era, hence why that was off limits to writers while the post episode VI era was wide open.