WI: Nixon Replaces Agnew With Connally in 1972

According to Wikipedia (great source, I know), Nixon was seriously considering dropping Agnew from the ticket and replacing him with John Connally. He decided against this because he decided he needed Agnew to keep the conservative voters on his side. What if Nixon had decided McGovern would be weak enough and that he could afford to replace Agnew with Connally? What would be the reaction of a Republican President making a Democrat his VP? Would Republicans see this as a betrayal. Would this attract even more moderate Democratic voters? Once Nixon resigns, would Connally be in a much worse situation since he was part of an unpopular administration? How would he handle things differently than Ford? Could he win the Republican Party's nomination and the election in 1976, especially if the Democratic nominee is someone other than Carter?

It is possible that some more democrats (southern) cross over and some but not a lot hardcore conservatives stay home. Connaly would be in a slightly better position without Agnew's resignation as well. Question is if he pardons Nixon or not? I think he would. If he does than game over, and Reagan probably maybe wins 1976 primary though loses the election. The democrat cannidate is a mystery tbh I'm not sure.

It is possible that some more democrats (southern) cross over and some but not a lot hardcore conservatives stay home. Connaly would be in a slightly better position without Agnew's resignation as well. Question is if he pardons Nixon or not? I think he would. If he does than game over, and Reagan probably maybe wins 1976 primary though loses the election. The democrat cannidate is a mystery tbh I'm not sure.

How big of a deal was pardoning Nixon? Ford did it, and he almost won reelection. I guess Connally would look even more suspicious but isn't it conceivable that people would just be relieved that the whole thing is over? And would Connally being a Democrat change anything?

How big of a deal was pardoning Nixon? Ford did it, and he almost won reelection. I guess Connally would look even more suspicious but isn't it conceivable that people would just be relieved that the whole thing is over? And would Connally being a Democrat change anything?

Considering that it's maybe possible Connally would be "in" on the watergate cover up or at least be suspected of it there would be much more suspicion and such.It would probably decrease his denomination chances.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
What if Nixon had decided McGovern would be weak enough and that he could afford to replace Agnew with Connally?

If Nixon thought this, would there even be a Watergate? I mean, if Nixon and his campaign team are safe in the knowledge they'll win over McGovern, safe enough that they can change their VP Candidate, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that CREEP wouldn't feel the need bug the Watergate hotel?

If Nixon thought this, would there even be a Watergate? I mean, if Nixon and his campaign team are safe in the knowledge they'll win over McGovern, safe enough that they can change their VP Candidate, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that CREEP wouldn't need bug the Watergate hotel?

I mean, CREEP/Watergate was pretty much superfluous from the get-go, I don't think anyone over the age of 24 actually thought McGovern had a shot (we're talking about a guy who selected a VP candidate who had electroshock therapy).

Nixon, however, was so deeply paranoid that he basically stopped to cheat during a race he was handily winning.

Driftless

Donor
I mean, CREEP/Watergate was pretty much superfluous from the get-go, I don't think anyone over the age of 24 actually thought McGovern had a shot (we're talking about a guy who selected a VP candidate who had electroshock therapy).

Nixon, however, was so deeply paranoid that he basically stopped to cheat during a race he was handily winning.

That paranoia was Nixon's achille's heel. If he overcomes his basic core insecurities and doesn't authorize the dirty-tricks ops; then he beats McGovern in a walkover anyway. In that light, Nixon goes down in history as a very effective president - And I voted for McGovern in the '72 election.

If Nixon thought this, would there even be a Watergate? I mean, if Nixon and his campaign team are safe in the knowledge they'll win over McGovern, safe enough that they can change their VP Candidate, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that CREEP wouldn't feel the need bug the Watergate hotel?

Well then let's just say that Nixon decides that Connally would be better for his Southern Strategy of attracting Southern Democrsts to vote for Nixon.

I don't think Nixon would take the risk in fear of angering conservative Republicans of selecting a Democrat.

He probably would have preffered to make Connally his preffered successor in 1976.

I don't think Nixon would take the risk in fear of angering conservative Republicans of selecting a Democrat.

He probably would have preffered to make Connally his preffered successor in 1976.

Connally himself was pretty conservative too, and politics was less partisan back then as well. I'm not convinced it would have been as lose lose as you make it out to me.

Reagan '76. Connally was not liked. He was an illegitimate former Democrat to Republicans, and a turncoat to the Democrats. He saw problems like a Republican, but his solutions were Democratic. He did not work well with others. Whereas LBJ was a handshake, Connally was a beating with an axe handle. This was his failing as governor, and he was responsible for the division in the Democratic party that lead Kennedy to visit Texas in 1963. He did not rally people well, which is why he failed in his runs for the nomination. And everyone will reject him. So it's going to be a miserable period of time if he ever succeeds Nixon, and the nomination is not his for the taking.

Reagan '76. Connally was not liked. He was an illegitimate former Democrat to Republicans, and a turncoat to the Democrats. He saw problems like a Republican, but his solutions were Democratic. He did not work well with others. Whereas LBJ was a handshake, Connally was a beating with an axe handle. This was his failing as governor, and he was responsible for the division in the Democratic party that lead Kennedy to visit Texas in 1963. He did not rally people well, which is why he failed in his runs for the nomination. And everyone will reject him. So it's going to be a miserable period of time if he ever succeeds Nixon, and the nomination is not his for the taking.

What do you mean when you say he views problems like a Republican but solved them like a Democrat? And how specifically was he different from Johnson when it came to getting things done. Didn't he get a lot done as Governor?

Sabot Cat

Banned
That paranoia was Nixon's achille's heel. If he overcomes his basic core insecurities and doesn't authorize the dirty-tricks ops; then he beats McGovern in a walkover anyway. In that light, Nixon goes down in history as a very effective president - And I voted for McGovern in the '72 election.

Except McGovern probably wouldn't even be the nominee if not for Nixon's underhanded techniques to ensure that he was the victor of the Democratic primaries.

Except McGovern probably wouldn't even be the nominee if not for Nixon's underhanded techniques to ensure that he was the victor of the Democratic primaries.

Yeah, without the Canuck letter, it's probably going to be Nixon vs Muskie. Probably still a loss for Muskie but less of a complete and utter annihilation.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
and June 17, 1972, was well before the Democratic Convention, right?

=====

and regarding McGovern tapping Senator Thomas Eagleton, yes, it was a decision amazingly thrown together at the last minute, McGovern kept thinking Ted Kennedy would change his mind. And yes, Tom Eagleton failed to disclose to George his history of depression.

All the same, depression is a common ailment and I don't think it should necessity preclude someone from the presidency. Might even give someone a certain type of ballast which someone who hasn't struggled with this particular life condition might have.

And these days they have Zoloft, Wellbutrin, etc., etc., etc., even though it remains trial and error in a respectful sense. Just that everyone's biochem tends to be a little different.

Been thinking about this more and now I'm wondering about Connally's indictment in a timeline where he's Vice President. In July 1974, a month before Nixon resigned IOTL, Connally was indicted for supposedly taking money that he wasn't supposed to. Connally was able to be relieved of the charges through a masterful defense IOTL, but would having both the Vice President and the President be indicted for crimes mean that he would have less leeway and potentially get convicted? Would he be forced to resign along with Nixon, giving us President Albert? Or would Connally hang on and refuse to give in, potentially leading to an impeachment? And who would Connally try to appoint as his VP.