We're still learning about exactly what metallurgical technologies the AmerIndians had and when they were developed. Copper working was evidently done near St Louis and possibly another site or two north of the Rio Grande but pre-Inca cultures developed techniques now thought shared with the pre-Aztec cultures of modern Acapulco. We have a description of the Andean 'rafts' used in such travel - and apparently they were worthy of significant sea travel.

Part of the reason may lay in limited use of hematite, there was use as a pigment but beyond that not sure if any other iron-rich ores were in use. Also the temperature of the forge for working iron needs to be higher than copper/bronze and I'm not sure how hot the native metalworking forges got. Again, we're still finding evidence, whether the Inka outpost in Taruma of Bolivia near Santa Cruz de la Sierra or Ciudad Perdida in Colombia or a new Mayan codex.

I think one effect this will have in a relatively rapid time period is great innovation in seafaring. I read an article on seafaring in the pre-Columbian Caribbean which quoted a conquistador saying that before they got iron axes from the Spanish, it took the Indians days just to cut down a tree big enough to make a seagoing canoe from. The ability to rapidly cut down very large trees will encourage more boatbuilding and give more room for innovation. This assumes that ironworking is widespread enough to use to make tools, as opposed to prestige items.

I don't think ironworking in a vacuum will change that much about warfare. Without an equivalent to cavalry, there isn't a lot of pressure to drill troops and fight in formation in the European style. Iron slashing and stabbing weapons may still supplant clubs though, which will in turn force innovation in armor. IOTL the Inca had woven armor that was very effective against clubs, but faced with swords they may add a layer of something new, such as a form of brigandine armor (metal-studded hardened leather).